• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Fantasy Book I |OT| iOS NES "JRPG" reSNESed for PSV/3

kuroshiki

In all honesty, it's not necessarily everyone's cup of tea. We made Book 1 specifically for people who miss NES-era RPGs. Likewise, Book 2 is built like a SNES-era RPG, and Book 3 will be basically a 3D-but-cartoony modern-era RPG. My hope is that between each game in the series we'll have something for everyone. And who knows, maybe I'll get really crazy and do a 3D mode for book 1 eventually too ;)

Kudos for trying to relive nostalgia.

I wouldn't mind SNES style graphic, heck I wouldn't mind NES graphic if it feature some kick ass soundtrack and at least decent (FF3?) enemy designs... Enemies look like drawn by 6 year old kid with Windows 95 paint tool within 10 min, and music was utterly forgettable.

However, I sure hope I can see the #2 as an awesome product though! =D

theadamrippon

Neo Member
Im really curious to see the 3d design you guys go with, in my head im thinking it might look something like 3d dot game heroes, you guys have a fan with this first game from me though. Looking forward to rest.

That would be cool, but what we're planning is more like that old Final Fantasy N64 tech demo. I'm picturing hi-poly, but low detail. Like, characters would have solid round hands without individual fingers like an older generation game, but instead of that hand being made out of like 8 polygons and some serious abuse of shading, it would be hundreds of polygons. Super crisp and clean, but lo-fi at the same time.

theadamrippon

Neo Member
Kudos for trying to relive nostalgia.

I wouldn't mind SNES style graphic, heck I wouldn't mind NES graphic if it feature some kick ass soundtrack and at least decent (FF3?) enemy designs... Enemies look like drawn by 6 year old kid with Windows 95 paint tool within 10 min, and music was utterly forgettable.

However, I sure hope I can see the #2 as an awesome product though! =D

Wow, uh... thanks, ouch, and thanks? What an emotional roller coaster that was ;)

Noi

I was going to come and complain about how often I seemed to be missing but-

Just wanted to let you guys know that we believe we've found the PS3 crash bug. It was something that we've already fixed for DF2, so we were able to back-port it to DF1 and after we test it today we'll be submitting it to Sony tonight. Then with any luck it will just be a couple days before the patch goes live.

We've also reduced the miss rate across the board - the miss rate is calculated based on your hit percentage minus the enemies evade percentage. We're now adding 1 and dividing everything by two, so if you have a 85% chance to hit and the enemy has a 10% chance to evade, it would be like this:

old:
0.85 - 0.10 = 75% chance to hit
new:
(0.85 - 0.10 + 1.0) / 2.0 = 87.5% chance to hit.

Pre-emptive solution! I'll keep playing, but this'll come in handy.

jwk94

Have you guys gotten past the volcano yet? I went in
killed the troll, and then he hit me with the "your princess is in another castle" line. He also told me that the Guardian was dead.
what do I do now?

Have you guys gotten past the volcano yet? I went in
killed the troll, and then he hit me with the "your princess is in another castle" line. He also told me that the Guardian was dead.
what do I do now?

Head south of Bluefin or check the manual, page 4 look for number 5. Complete spoiler:
South of Bluefin is Crescent Cove and there is a Mine north of Crescent Cove with the next boss.

I need help as well but I am stuck in the Second Chapter (Anders).
Serps has just joined my party but I do not know were to go now. I also may have possibly encounter a glitch in the troll cave above Lakehaven after viewing the cut-scene with the troll and Serps(I think) I exited the cave and then reentered it after healing and instead of troll being alone Serps was back with him but no cut-scene was triggered(pic)

Edit:I think I figured it out.

DryvBy

Four times already, this game has had me hard reset my PS3. Anyone else having these problems? Maybe because I clicky too much.

ReaperXL7

Four times already, this game has had me hard reset my PS3. Anyone else having these problems? Maybe because I clicky too much.

No sadly its a bug in the ps3 version of the game, but the devs said it should be fixed soon with an upcoming patch. Ill be curious to see how the game has done come the end of its sale period, Sony did a good job in pushing it in front of everyone I think considering its on the stores front page, its pretty much the first thing you see.

Hope to see it be successful so we can get more games in the series, looking forward to book 2.

DryvBy

Same here. Normally, I'd quit playing but I'm addicted. The switching between NES and SNES graphics is champ!

jwk94

Has anyone hit the Cavern of Ice in Chapter 2 yet? I have no clue what to do in there.

EDIT:
Never mind, I figured it out.
Head south of Bluefin or check the manual, page 4 look for number 5. Complete spoiler:
South of Bluefin is Crescent Cove and there is a Mine north of Crescent Cove with the next boss.

I need help as well but I am stuck in the Second Chapter (Anders).
Serps has just joined my party but I do not know were to go now. I also may have possibly encounter a glitch in the troll cave above Lakehaven after viewing the cut-scene with the troll and Serps(I think) I exited the cave and then reentered it after healing and instead of troll being alone Serps was back with him but no cut-scene was triggered(pic)

Edit:I think I figured it out.

thanks for the help! Got it!

Slaylock

Is anyone else having trouble with the cross save? I was able to cross save from my PS3 to my Vita but when I try to cross save back I'm getting an older save on my PS3.

Noi

Patch for the PS3 crash issues and hit rate increase should be up tonight. A bit too late for me since I beat it already, but great nonetheless!

I already got 100% of the trophies in this game.

One thing I want to suggest is change the colouring slightly for menu selection when you're in the red. A few times I struggled to see what option I had highlighted. A small niggle.

PS: I loved it. Need book 2, now! lol

100% the game the other day, I really enjoyed the game. I liked how even though each chapter has the same combat I had to use different strategies to complete each one. For some reason I wasn't expecting
the cliff hanger at the end but I am guessing that the Intermission M is going to explain the transition from 2d to 3d
; anyway I can't wait for Book II.

Erdrick

PS3 version here.

I have an issue with this. In chapter 3, with Jerald and Ramona,
when I have enough money and go speak to the corrupt guard in order to get a passport, the scene plays, and they go to an inn for the evening and the music changes, but then the screen goes black and I have to actually power down my PS3 by holding down the power button.
I'll try again, but it seems that I cannot pass this.

EDIT: I just checked on Gamefaqs and it seems this is a known issue since the last patch. Good to know that they are working on it and fixing it ASAP.

Aside from some of the technical issues, this has been a nice nostalgia trip for me in regards to old 8-bit style RPG's. Well worth buying for people who grew up playing and enjoying games like Dragon Quest and the early Final Fantasy games.

jwk94

Edit:I think I figured it out.[/QUOTE]

100% the game the other day, I really enjoyed the game. I liked how even though each chapter has the same combat I had to use different strategies to complete each one. For some reason I wasn't expecting
the cliff hanger at the end but I am guessing that the Intermission M is going to explain the transition from 2d to 3d
; anyway I can't wait for Book II.

I have some bad news for you....

jwk94

New patch is coming soon.

Patch 1.10 – PlayStation 3 & Vita

• A run button. Not to be mistaken for a rum button, this will allow players to move a little faster in towns and dungeons.
  • In-game clock, so you know exactly how long it took you to earn that gold sword, before realizing it’s not actually a better weapon.
  • Choose music independent of graphics. Want 16-bit looks but 8-bit chiptunes, or 8-bit graphics and melodic SNES style music? You can do that starting this patch.
  • Start moving immediately after battles and scene changes while holding arrows.
  • Selector will no longer pop up during battle animations if you accidentally hit a button. Nor if you deliberately hit a button. Take that!
  • The quicksave will no longer allow you to respawn from your current location. While cool, that was actually unintended. No progress will be lost with this update to quicksaves.

Patch 1.10 – PS3-specific changes

• Fixed more crash bugs, notably the ones in Jerald’s Chapter (Chapter 3) and at the end of the Minecraft Adventures (Chapter 4)

Patch 1.10 – Vita-specific changes

• Update to the hit formula. Details can be found here.

btkadams

• A run button. Not to be mistaken for a rum button, this will allow players to move a little faster in towns and dungeons.
  • In-game clock, so you know exactly how long it took you to earn that gold sword, before realizing it’s not actually a better weapon.
  • Choose music independent of graphics. Want 16-bit looks but 8-bit chiptunes, or 8-bit graphics and melodic SNES style music? You can do that starting this patch.
  • Start moving immediately after battles and scene changes while holding arrows.
  • Selector will no longer pop up during battle animations if you accidentally hit a button. Nor if you deliberately hit a button. Take that!
  • The quicksave will no longer allow you to respawn from your current location. While cool, that was actually unintended. No progress will be lost with this update to quicksaves.

• Fixed more crash bugs, notably the ones in Jerald’s Chapter (Chapter 3) and at the end of the Minecraft Adventures (Chapter 4)

I'm really impressed with these features and how quickly they're being pushed out! You guys really listen to the players :)

ReaperXL7

patch sounds great, really looking forward to checking out the changes. I would really curious to find out if the gam has done well for them, its still been on the Vitas main scroll bar.

also really looking forward to checking out Book 2

This patch can't come soon enough. I almost threw my Vita in frustration tonight as I've died on the same boss,
Skeleton Wedge near the end of chapter one
, four times in a row. Damn it this is pissing me off. I enjoy everything about the game except for the damned combat miss rate.

I blew through this game last week so I'm not going to benefit from the patch, but yeah, it's definitely good to see the miss rate being addressed. It got pretty ridiculous to have entire rounds where all of my party *and* the enemy would sit there and whiff every attack. What is everyone doing, waving swords at each other from opposite sides of the room or something?

Wow, uh... thanks, ouch, and thanks? What an emotional roller coaster that was ;)

Haha! Well I've loved what I have played so far. Quick question: do you have an ETA on when the Vita patch may come? I'm trying to hold off starting chapter 3 till then. Also, as a dad I though that was cool as hell to dedicate the game to the memory of your dad. Must have been a great guy.

Erdrick

FYI: Patch is out for Vita

And for the PS3 as well. No more lockup at a certain point in the games! Nice little additions they did in the patch. Even though I finished the game entirely a month or so ago, this should improve the game further for current and future players.

Seriously had tons of fun over the weekend I spent with this.

Cornbread78

Wait, how do I update the game for my VITA? the hit rate is really making me hate this game at times.... Seriously, 7-8 straight misses on an enemy. WTF.

Also, just fought some guy
in the volcano
and beat him, but nothing happens when I go back to town....What gives?

I finally got around to starting the game and I love it so far. I'm really digging the monster designs, color palate and general artstyle

I watched a bunch of interviews about book 2 today and I can't wait. Book 3 as well

RPGCrazied

Sad, no one has done an OT for the 2nd game? I haven't even finished the first game, but the 2nd one looks better in just about every area. Does 2 have its own story? Cause I might want to play that before I finish the first one.

Top Bottom