• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Fantasy Book I |OT| iOS NES "JRPG" reSNESed for PSV/3

Slaylock

I'm on the fence on this one. Anyone want to give some impressions (although with such a simple game I'm not sure what I'm looking for).

I like the idea but I think the graphics are really gaudy. And I love old school graphics.

My roommate is already getting it so I'll still probably give this a go.

Eusis

Was thinking of it, but Soul Hackers came out and Sora no Kiseki Zanmai hit iTunes, so I'll probably pass for now unless the word of mouth is REALLY good.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I got the game. Not far in though. The game has a weird collision detection when you bump on moving people.

graywolf323

I want to play it but PSN's download speeds have just become completely atrocious, an 83MB game and it's not done after 30 minutes :|

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I want to play it but PSN's download speeds have just become completely atrocious, an 83MB game and it's not done after 30 minutes :|

It only took me 5 minutes. :p

RPGCrazied

Its only 83 meg. I got to lakehaven. The music isn't so hot, for some reason I like the chiptune version more, but like the 16-bit look. Wish you could use the 8-bit music with the 16-bit graphics.

The random encounter is pretty high too. Thankfully book 2 looks better in all fronts, so might as well push through.

ULTROS!

I prefer the 8-bit version more than the new one. The 8-bit version feels more natural.

The game is pretty decent. Although I have yet to go far.

Is this a Cthulhu Saves the World esque parody or more serious in nature? Will probably get this something this week, Soul Hackers is farther up on my to play list though.

Dragon

Banned
I like combat although you do tend to miss a ton. You get in these weird modes where you'll miss five times in a row. I assume the Gold Swords are useless because they added banking?

ULTROS!

Is this a Cthulhu Saves the World esque parody or more serious in nature? Will probably get this something this week, Soul Hackers is farther up on my to play list though.

More of a homage than a parody.

theadamrippon

Neo Member
Hey guys, I'm one of the devs behind Dragon Fantasy, so if you've got any questions, here I am! Took me awhile to get approved to comment :) And yes, I know about the PS3 random crash. I'm pretty sure it's a memory leak, so if you don't play for too long in one sitting I think it shouldn't crash - but that's still just me speculating until I can sit down with the debug kit tomorrow. We're going to find it and fix it and try to get a patch submitted ASAP. In the meantime, as far as I know the Vita version does not have the crash bug, so if you have a Vita, I'd recommend sticking to that for now.

ULTROS!

Hey guys, I'm one of the devs behind Dragon Fantasy, so if you've got any questions, here I am! Took me awhile to get approved to comment :) And yes, I know about the PS3 random crash. I'm pretty sure it's a memory leak, so if you don't play for too long in one sitting I think it shouldn't crash - but that's still just me speculating until I can sit down with the debug kit tomorrow. We're going to find it and fix it and try to get a patch submitted ASAP. In the meantime, as far as I know the Vita version does not have the crash bug, so if you have a Vita, I'd recommend sticking to that for now.

Hey, I'd like to report a few findings too if you don't mind (on the Vita version). They're not game breaking in anyway though, they're just very minor niggling issues :) :
- When I select Equip/Setup/etc. in the menu and quickly cancel, the selector will disappear until I press cancel again.
- During the start of the first chapter when there's chaos, the NPCs nudge when they bump each other when moving.
- Related to the second bullet, it seems like I can talk to NPCs when I'm 1 1/2 away from them (usually in 8-bit game, they're 1 block away).

Game's a lot of fun so far (playing the Vita version). Nice job! Really looking forward to Book 2.

I think my only quibble is that when you talk to someone or check something (bookshelf, dresser), you can't hold down the direction pad and move immediately after talking/checking. You have to let go of the direction, and then re-press it to move.

y00tz

Neo Member
I'm pretty sure it's a memory leak, so if you don't play for too long in one sitting I think it shouldn't crash

I wish I had read that before I sat down to play today and lost all that time saving up for the axe and the 100g armor. I guess I'll grind on the Vita in the meantime. Still really looking forward to Book 2.

edit: aha, 'restore from quick save' brought me back to about where I was, excellent.

Slaylock

I had a good time with this game yesterday. I started it up intending to play 10-15 minutes and finally shut it off four hours later.

The game starts off easy but gets a bit tougher. I kept running into monsters that would kill me and I ended up losing a ton of gold. I started playing more carefully and grinding on some easier monsters which got my level up and allowed me to buy some better equipment.

The game froze on my several times and required a reboot (PS3 version) so hopefully they fix the bugs.

Overall I'm very pleased with my purchase and look forward to what they do with Book II.

EdgeXL

I bought this yesterday and played for a bit and... well, can somebody explain the high review scores to me?

I grew up on Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy for NES so the aesthetic is not lost on me. The equipping and combat are old school and no problem there. The writing has a bit of sassiness to it like Chthulu Saves The World though not as crass. Right now the best thing I can say about Dragon Fantasy Book I is that it doesn't suck.

There are a couple of minor design flaws like having to press X to enter a building in town or only able to buy one item at a time (try buying 50 herbs at once.) These flaws aren't game breaking by any means but they are annoying.

I am honestly trying to think of a reason to recommend this game to others but the best I can come up with is, "it doesn't suck." When somebody can play Chthulu Saves The World for $1 or get Final Fantasy VII, VIII or IX for the same price then Dragon Fantasy is sort of a hard sell.

test_account

XP-39C²
I am honestly trying to think of a reason to recommend this game to others but the best I can come up with is, "it doesn't suck." When somebody can play Chthulu Saves The World for $1 or get Final Fantasy VII, VIII or IX for the same price then Dragon Fantasy is sort of a hard sell.
I dont think you need another reason that that. It shows that you're enjoying the game, and that is a good enough recommendation in my opinion. Those Final Fantasy games are also old, a lot of people have already played those. Dragon Fantasy and Chthulu Saves The World are newer games, so less people have played those. It will be a fresh experience in that regards (the same will apply for those who havnt played the Final Fantasy games of course :)).

Cornbread78

Very nice, I downloaded this off PSN last night to take advantage of the PS+ discount. Hey, it was basically house money since I got my $10 rebate from buying Totori + a couple weeks ago...

Will play like crazy in a few weeks...

Just reached the second dungeon. I was going to complain about low about of gold earned per fight, but I just found a chest with 500G. Guess I'll run back to town and buy that Iron Sword!

RPGCrazied

So I rode the boat, and encountered a recolored magic kid, died, I guess I need to be all in Iron gear before going further. I only have the Iron sword and helm.

theadamrippon

Neo Member
Just wanted to let you guys know that we believe we've found the PS3 crash bug. It was something that we've already fixed for DF2, so we were able to back-port it to DF1 and after we test it today we'll be submitting it to Sony tonight. Then with any luck it will just be a couple days before the patch goes live.

We've also reduced the miss rate across the board - the miss rate is calculated based on your hit percentage minus the enemies evade percentage. We're now adding 1 and dividing everything by two, so if you have a 85% chance to hit and the enemy has a 10% chance to evade, it would be like this:

old:
0.85 - 0.10 = 75% chance to hit
new:
(0.85 - 0.10 + 1.0) / 2.0 = 87.5% chance to hit.

theadamrippon

Neo Member
The crashes only manifest on the PS3, so the quick fix will probably only get approved on the PS3. So for a couple days the miss rate different on the two platforms, which is admittedly a little weird, but it'll only be a couple days. Then we'll be submitting a feature update that will probably add a run button, an in-game clock, a fix for the people who want to be able to start pressing the direction they're going before a battle actually ends, and a couple other things that I've forgotten about. That'll be a few more days until that one comes out.

ReaperXL7

So is it just a PS3 thing or does it affect the Vita as well?

I think they said it was ps3 only. I am playing the Vita version and have not had any issues at all really. Game is pretty good imo, its simple for sure, but given that games like this were a major part of my early gaming it hits a nice nostalgic sweet spot for me.

Still pretty early as I have been grinding abit, but im really not sure which visual style i prefer. I think i like the visuals of the 16bit version, but the music from the 8bit personally.

Really looking forward to seeing the differences between book 1 and book 2. Pretty excited to see the mentioned 3d design of book 3.

Looks awesome, hoping for a UK release as that's my Vita's account, I could buy the US version on my PS3 but I'd be missing out.

theadamrippon

Neo Member

watched trailer and doesn't look/sound attractive at all.

In all honesty, it's not necessarily everyone's cup of tea. We made Book 1 specifically for people who miss NES-era RPGs. Likewise, Book 2 is built like a SNES-era RPG, and Book 3 will be basically a 3D-but-cartoony modern-era RPG. My hope is that between each game in the series we'll have something for everyone. And who knows, maybe I'll get really crazy and do a 3D mode for book 1 eventually too ;)

jwk94

Just wanted to let you guys know that we believe we've found the PS3 crash bug. It was something that we've already fixed for DF2, so we were able to back-port it to DF1 and after we test it today we'll be submitting it to Sony tonight. Then with any luck it will just be a couple days before the patch goes live.

We've also reduced the miss rate across the board - the miss rate is calculated based on your hit percentage minus the enemies evade percentage. We're now adding 1 and dividing everything by two, so if you have a 85% chance to hit and the enemy has a 10% chance to evade, it would be like this:

old:
0.85 - 0.10 = 75% chance to hit
new:
(0.85 - 0.10 + 1.0) / 2.0 = 87.5% chance to hit.

Thank you! I haven't encountered the PS3 crashes since I've been playing on my Vita most of the time, but the miss rate is something that been particularly bothersome.

I think they said it was ps3 only. I am playing the Vita version and have not had any issues at all really. Game is pretty good imo, its simple for sure, but given that games like this were a major part of my early gaming it hits a nice nostalgic sweet spot for me.

Still pretty early as I have been grinding abit, but im really not sure which visual style i prefer. I think i like the visuals of the 16bit version, but the music from the 8bit personally.

Really looking forward to seeing the differences between book 1 and book 2. Pretty excited to see the mentioned 3d design of book 3.

And choices were made harder that day.

theadamrippon

Neo Member
Oh, and it wouldn't be that hard to make the music selectable separately from the graphics. I might toss that switch in the feature update too.

ReaperXL7

In all honesty, it's not necessarily everyone's cup of tea. We made Book 1 specifically for people who miss NES-era RPGs. Likewise, Book 2 is built like a SNES-era RPG, and Book 3 will be basically a 3D-but-cartoony modern-era RPG. My hope is that between each game in the series we'll have something for everyone. And who knows, maybe I'll get really crazy and do a 3D mode for book 1 eventually too ;)

Im really curious to see the 3d design you guys go with, in my head im thinking it might look something like 3d dot game heroes, you guys have a fan with this first game from me though. Looking forward to rest.

Top Bottom