• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D Remake Releases November 14, 2024

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
full
Hey, don't be scared! Here's something to relax.

dragon-quest-video-game.gif

Fake

Gold Member
I get to attached to Akira Toriyama artstyle and music, so I not really feeling the little changes into the OST at all.

Rran

I get to attached to Akira Toriyama artstyle and music, so I not really feeling the little changes into the OST at all.
Koichi Sugiyama did the music. Interestingly, it seems he agreed with you about orchestrated DQ music during gameplay--he was fairly infamous for preferring synth music in the games, and live music during concerts.

Can't say I'm in the same boat though, I think the orchestrations are gorgeous renditions during gameplay even if I already own these versions on CD.

Hudo

Koichi Sugiyama did the music. Interestingly, it seems he agreed with you about orchestrated DQ music during gameplay--he was fairly infamous for preferring synth music in the games, and live music during concerts.

Can't say I'm in the same boat though, I think the orchestrations are gorgeous renditions during gameplay even if I already own these versions on CD.
Yeah, I am more in the camp of preferring live orchestrations over synth stuff as well.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Here's several news screenshot from Squeenix. The HD-2D art style they're using looks really good imo.

GShE839WYAA2J-T

GShFCY3XQAETPsa

GShFE9FWEAAtSEP

GShFHYvWUAAm6Ms
Looks very cool. Reminds me of the DS remakes, just in HD.

Only thing that weirds me out a bit is that the sprites seem to be a bit too tall? Maybe it's just me.

Hudo

So, If I adore Octopath traveller 2...Will this be my next big thing? I've never played these DQ's
Be advised that DQ is the prototypical JRPG series. Because it literally is. So the combat and game structure will be more basic but it is very nicely paced, presented and executed upon. I'd argue that a big charm of DQ is that it just does the basics so well that I doesn't "feel" basic, in a sense.

That being said, there are quite a few DQ games that try a lot of things when it comes to game structure and pacing. E.g. DQ5, DQ7 or DQ9. So it's not like there's no innovation at all within DQ. But Octopath Traveler feels "experimental" in comparison.

Rran

It's basic but balanced, and there are multiple difficulty options for your tastes. A big part of the charm in DQ is in its writing and scenarios, as the plot lines unfold more like a TV series than a movie (which is more Final Fantasy's style). It's often episodic in that you'll get a shorter story within a town with a clear beginning and end, and they're usually quite charming, funny, and/or touching in some way. Since Octopath tells its story through chapters as well, you should feel right at home.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Is it worth playing the original version of this game on the switch or should I just wait for this one?
In my opinion this one will have have lot of QoL which will make the experience much smoother and the visuals absolutely gorgeous in my opinion.

But in the end the choice is yours.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
So, If I adore Octopath traveller 2...Will this be my next big thing? I've never played these DQ's
100%

I wanted a Steelbook edition and the collectors edition for this looks like a waste lol

Day 1 regardless as I love the IP, but we just getting the standard version on this one.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Yes, do that instead.

This version will have tons of censorship and looks horrendous and inconsistent, forget about it.

Damn, I was just about to cancel my pre-order and then saw this...

images

tenor.gif

Yea...so day 1... =)

At some point, being obsessed with something can have the opposite effect and folks start to just ignore the cult, fanatic, toxic fanbase that seems to hate all things regarding those properties.

Final Fantasy
Star Wars (can't stress this one enough lol)
Call Of Duty
and in your case, Dragon Quest

Thick Thighs Save Lives

What game is that?
Yeah, like Edmix said, it's an upcoming indie action brawler called Sugar Isogu. I think the developer plans to release it next year (or maybe just a demo for next year?) and will also be doing a console release on PS, Xbox, and Switch.

I follow their account on Twitter since they post these cool action-y clips from time to time.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

New info and screenshots via Square Enix and Gematsu:

■ New Episodes Focusing on Ortega’s Journey and More

This remake contains several new scenes which shine a spotlight on the protagonist’s father, Ortega, giving players a better understanding of the man himself and his quest. The story also features new, formidable foes which will give fans an even more enriching experience of the Dragon Quest III narrative. Below are some screenshots which should give you a taste of what’s in store.

Ortega, Hero of Aliahan (voiced by Dave Jones in English, Hiroki Touchi in Japanese)

Father to the game’s protagonist and one of Aliahan’s finest. Long ago, he set off on a quest to rid the world of the Archfiend Baramos, leaving behind his beloved wife and baby. After scouring the realm in search of Baramos, Ortega met an untimely end when he fell into the maw of a volcano during an epic battle.

Ortega’s Adventure

—Ortega facing off against a mighty warrior named Simao. How did the two come to meet…?

—Ortega discussing something by a campfire with his companion.

New Threats Await

—Monstrous menaces, the likes of which you’ve never faced before, stand between the party and their goals at every turn!

—Who could the Garboyle be referring to?

■ A World Remade in HD-2D

Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake features a world map modelled after our own. Each region boasts its own culture and traditions; you’re bound to feel like you’ve circumvented the globe after you’ve seen all the world has to offer! We’d like to give you a sneak peek of what lies ahead, paying special attention to the stunning HD-2D graphics, and extra details that have been added just for this remake.

Portoga

A seafaring nation home to a bustling port that’s filled with the finest shipbuilders. Due to its status as one of the world’s key trading spots, there are few better places to be if you need to learn more about the state of the world at any given time. Travel slightly south of its shores and you’ll be greeted by a lighthouse where travelers are known to gather to trade tales.

—A merchant by the port who dreams of having a vessel to call his own someday.

Jipang

A small island nation known by many names: the Land of the Rising Sun, the Golden Country to name a few. It is filled with countless cherry blossom trees and rice paddies. Venture under its mammoth shrine gate and eventually you will be greeted by a resplendent manor.

—The area is ruled over by a character named Pimiko who possesses strange powers.

Ibis

A kingdom surrounded by miles of desert. Ibis has much flora that could only be found in a clime of its ilk, and the well within its borders is one of its people’s few, precious supplies of water. The nation was originally founded by King Faro and is now ruled by a queen famed for her beauty.

—Could these ancient structures house long-lost treasure perhaps…?

Explore Far and Wide

The world is home to a myriad of exciting spots for you to visit. Look forward to meeting all sorts of new people and trekking through the darkest of dungeons. All that you learn on your travels will surely help you conquer the Archfiend Baramos!

—Word has it there’s a village out there populated by faeries.

—Sometimes you’ll come across puzzles which need solving too. Maybe these boulders will move if you push hard enough…

—This dungeon will make a tightrope walker out of you. Nothing ventured, nothing gained indeed..

New info and screenshots via Square Enix and Gematsu:

■ New Episodes Focusing on Ortega’s Journey and More

This remake contains several new scenes which shine a spotlight on the protagonist’s father, Ortega, giving players a better understanding of the man himself and his quest. The story also features new, formidable foes which will give fans an even more enriching experience of the Dragon Quest III narrative. Below are some screenshots which should give you a taste of what’s in store.

Ortega, Hero of Aliahan (voiced by Dave Jones in English, Hiroki Touchi in Japanese)

Father to the game’s protagonist and one of Aliahan’s finest. Long ago, he set off on a quest to rid the world of the Archfiend Baramos, leaving behind his beloved wife and baby. After scouring the realm in search of Baramos, Ortega met an untimely end when he fell into the maw of a volcano during an epic battle.

Ortega’s Adventure

—Ortega facing off against a mighty warrior named Simao. How did the two come to meet…?

—Ortega discussing something by a campfire with his companion.

New Threats Await

—Monstrous menaces, the likes of which you’ve never faced before, stand between the party and their goals at every turn!

—Who could the Garboyle be referring to?

■ A World Remade in HD-2D

Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake features a world map modelled after our own. Each region boasts its own culture and traditions; you’re bound to feel like you’ve circumvented the globe after you’ve seen all the world has to offer! We’d like to give you a sneak peek of what lies ahead, paying special attention to the stunning HD-2D graphics, and extra details that have been added just for this remake.

Portoga

A seafaring nation home to a bustling port that’s filled with the finest shipbuilders. Due to its status as one of the world’s key trading spots, there are few better places to be if you need to learn more about the state of the world at any given time. Travel slightly south of its shores and you’ll be greeted by a lighthouse where travelers are known to gather to trade tales.

—A merchant by the port who dreams of having a vessel to call his own someday.

Jipang

A small island nation known by many names: the Land of the Rising Sun, the Golden Country to name a few. It is filled with countless cherry blossom trees and rice paddies. Venture under its mammoth shrine gate and eventually you will be greeted by a resplendent manor.

—The area is ruled over by a character named Pimiko who possesses strange powers.

Ibis

A kingdom surrounded by miles of desert. Ibis has much flora that could only be found in a clime of its ilk, and the well within its borders is one of its people’s few, precious supplies of water. The nation was originally founded by King Faro and is now ruled by a queen famed for her beauty.

—Could these ancient structures house long-lost treasure perhaps…?

Explore Far and Wide

The world is home to a myriad of exciting spots for you to visit. Look forward to meeting all sorts of new people and trekking through the darkest of dungeons. All that you learn on your travels will surely help you conquer the Archfiend Baramos!

—Word has it there’s a village out there populated by faeries.

—Sometimes you’ll come across puzzles which need solving too. Maybe these boulders will move if you push hard enough…

—This dungeon will make a tightrope walker out of you. Nothing ventured, nothing gained indeed..

S SlimeGooGoo

Look! 👀

Top Bottom