• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

Mix

Dragon Quest VIII was my first ever RPG and it still ranks as my favorite game of all time. I recently started playing again, and holy fuck nostalgia is good.

Gloam

Dragon Quest VIII was my first ever RPG and it still ranks as my favorite game of all time. I recently started playing again, and holy fuck nostalgia is good.

"To a Vast World" is my summer jam. Gives me those sunkissed happy feelings every time I hear it.

The art style for VIII really helps it hold up over time. I dream of a PS2 Classics release on the PS3 of VIII. :)

The art style for VIII really helps it hold up over time. I dream of a PS2 Classics release on the PS3 of VIII. :)

Given how SE handles DQ, I'd say seeing a PS2 Classics release is unlikely. If they were to ever re-release it for consoles it'd be an HD port, I would imagine (and be totally okay with).

Scrawnton

Given how SE handles DQ, I'd say seeing a PS2 Classics release is unlikely. If they were to ever re-release it for consoles it'd be an HD port, I would imagine (and be totally okay with).

What if dragon quest 11 is a ps3 and ps4 game? And to prepare for its release they release DQ8 hd remaster...

I don't know why they didn't announce an HD remake for that game when ffx and KH were getting attention...

ethanny2

I actually had no idea there were localized GBC Dragon Quest games I started with XI.
They should really bring those GBC games to the 3DS eshop, I mean its not like its on SNES or GBA game

tebunker

Banned
I actually had no idea there were localized GBC Dragon Quest games I started with XI.
They should really bring those GBC games to the 3DS eshop, I mean its not like its on SNES or GBA game
It is a shame how SE handles retro releases over here. I mean what would it have cost them for a VC release of any DQ game stateside? Is it possible that their is an issue with the games formally being Dragon Warrior and now are back to being DQ. Did someone scoop up DW making re-releasing the old NES and GBC games on a VC difficult? I wonder how difficult would it be to slap a new title screen on them to avoid DW all together?

johnsmith

remember me
Man, I hate DQ6. It seems like I've been everywhere on the map, there's no more unexplored spots, but there's nothing to do. This game's too open and I have no goals right now.

johnsmith

remember me
What was the last thing you did?

I saved some chief/mayor's daughter from some thugs. It seemed like it was a side quest that I should have done early on, but had missed. Oh, and some king in an underwater castle asked me to kill something in some place east, but going east wraps you around the world to the west side. So I can't figure out where he wants me to go.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
BkLK61vCIAATEAQ.jpg
Fuck yeah, Metal King Armours are coming.
I saved some chief/mayor's daughter from some thugs. It seemed like it was a side quest that I should have done early on, but had missed. Oh, and some king in an underwater castle asked me to kill something in some place east, but going east wraps you around the world to the west side. So I can't figure out where he wants me to go.
The place you wanna go is right in the center of the Southern Sea.

jimmypython

What if dragon quest 11 is a ps3 and ps4 game? And to prepare for its release they release DQ8 hd remaster...

I don't know why they didn't announce an HD remake for that game when ffx and KH were getting attention...

I'd say DQXI is probably going to be a 3DS game....

KiTA

With the PS4 being stillborn in Japan, and the Vita still playing Catchup to the 3DS, and with Yuji Horii being anti-Mobile, the only console left really is the 3DS. I doubt we'll see it on the Wii, for example.

urfe

I think I got stuck somewhere similar.

Although I was playing the SFC game, and only want to give the game another chance when the original game is on a handheld.

i don't mind waiting 10+ years

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I just started DQ6 on the DS. Are there any secrets that I could easily miss early on? (like the zodiac spear in FF12 or the Torneko sword selling trick)

Taruranto

Man, the second to last dungeon in DQ2 is bananas. Between that and the super-hidden shards (Seriusly, that fuuuucking fire shard) I'm convinced DQ developers hated their playerbase.

Gloam

Man, the second to last dungeon in DQ2 is bananas. Between that and the super-hidden shards (Seriusly, that fuuuucking fire shard) I'm convinced DQ developers hated their playerbase.

With DQ2 it's probably more a case of still trying to figure stuff out, it is the second in the series after all, so you can still see some rough edges that get sanded down as the series progresses.

Taruranto

Is it just me or there is a huuuge difficulty spike in Rhone? I went to wiping everything with price spells to getting one character killed per encounter lol. And yes, I got the game best armors.

Will need to grind until prince and Linda learn better spells, I guess.

Is it just me or there is a huuuge difficulty spike in Rhone? I went to wiping everything with price spells to getting one character killed per encounter lol. And yes, I got the game best armors.

Rhone is absolutely brutal and you will most definitely need to spend some time there to prepare for the final dungeon.

Ourobolus

Banned

I found if you try to blaze through the cave and make it to the shrine on the other side, it makes grinding a lot easier. I was going bananas trying to grind in the cave because everything was so damn powerful.

Barely made it to the shrine with MP left over.

Faustek

I know I said I would get Rocket Slime but it was annoying to track down, not finding it but finding a seller that would send it to me :/

Anyway, I found something else. Something I as a European had missed out on as well :)

New, sealed and ready to be played :)...a tad afraid to open it though...you know the feeling right?

Jucksalbe

Banned
After over 50 hours of playing I finally caught up to where I stopped in DQ7 over ten years ago.

I now remember why I stopped back then. I kept dying at that boss fight and then took a break from the game until finally my memory card broke.
So how did I fare this time?
I died again

I now remember why I stopped back then. I kept dying at that boss fight and then took a break from the game until finally my memory card broke.
I died again

I don't blame you; that particular boss was a shot to the groin with the sudden surge of difficulty compared to the one before it and things leading up to it.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Ugh, that HellCloud is annoying me. It doesn't help that the game decided
to take away Maribel just before this segment who has some spells that I could really use here (like StopSpell)
. In one attempt at least I managed to hold out pretty long, but that damn thing just won't die.
Am I underleveled at 26/24/21/21? I saw people online recommending being at much higher levels (like 37), but that seems crazy.

gblues

Banned
Ugh, that HellCloud is annoying me. It doesn't help that the game decided
to take away Maribel just before this segment who has some spells that I could really use here (like StopSpell)
. In one attempt at least I managed to hold out pretty long, but that damn thing just won't die.
Am I underleveled at 26/24/21/21? I saw people online recommending being at much higher levels (like 37), but that seems crazy.

Are you far enough in the game to have access to Slime Island? Because that will always give you JP and makes it easy to grind job levels to round out your skills.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Ha! I did it! I didn't even have to grind, I just tried it a few more times. I guess I got lucky on this particular attempt since he didn't call for as many help as usual. Poor Gabo died, though, no experience for him.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Ah, well, I'm not sure if that means "much more" about Smash Bros. or in general. I'm gonna watch it anyways.
I'd glady take a DQ7 3DS localization, of course. But I'm not expecting anything today.

clem84

Gold Member
I weep for anyone expecting a DQ7 announcement today. Or at E3. Or ever :(

I honestly don't know what to think about the state of the DQ franchise in NA. I mean it hasn't been THAT long since the last main DQ game. Almost 4 years. Maybe it'll make a comeback at some point. Reggie's tweet from last year about how he'd "love to play a new Dragon Quest game", gave me hope. But hey, maybe he was just messing with us. I think E3 will be very telling. If there's nothing announced at E3, then yeah he was just messing with us.

Ryuukan

Ah, well, I'm not sure if that means "much more" about Smash Bros. or in general. I'm gonna watch it anyways.
I'd glady take a DQ7 3DS localization, of course. But I'm not expecting anything today.

I weep for anyone expecting a DQ7 announcement today. Or at E3. Or ever :(

I highly doubt DQ7r, or any game, will get announced today.

Reggie looking at this thread in disgust, DQ7 reveal canceled

Jucksalbe

Banned
Nice! Considering the pace at which I'm going through this game, you'll probably catch up to me very fast.
Although now I'm pretty motivated to go on, since for the first time in a long long time, everything's that's upcoming is new to me.

Cheerilee

Starting 3.

Game seems a step up in complexity compared to 2, anything I should know?

NES version? Use parry-fight. It's a bug in the game that was endorsed by it's pack-in hint guide. Basically, order your first three characters to parry (defend). Then cancel back through the list and order them all to attack instead. They'll attack and get the defense bonus. It's tedious, but worth it sometimes. The only drawbacks are that your fourth character can't do it (once you give them a command, you can't back out of commands), and you need to keep a non-magical type at the head of your party, because the limited number of commands kicks parry out of your first character's list as soon as they learn any magic.

General tip: Assemble a party that's balanced in a way that fits your playstyle. The basic standard is Warrior > Hero > Whitemage > Blackmage.

Around level 20, you should reach a point where you can change classes. You keep your spells, your stats get cut in half, and you start over from level 1. But half-stats is huge for level 1, and you catch up on levels quick, so this is a great point to inflate your stats. Your slow Warrior can become a fast Martial Artist, and your Black and White Mages can trade jobs. Or your White Mage can become a healing-Warrior while your Warrior becomes a beefy-Black Mage and your Black Mage becomes a know-it-all-White Mage. Basically, whatever you change to, it's a good idea.

Super-secret tip for class-changing:
The joke-class "Goof Off" is pretty useless, and normally a hindrance to your team. But they do have great Luck stats, and they can natively change into the Jack-of-All-Trades "Sage" super class, which normally requires a rare item. So it's a good idea to recruit two Goof Offs (preferably one male and one female), and leave them in the diner for the early stage of the game. Once you can change classes, train them up as quick as you can (although the longer you train them the more Luck they build up) and convert them to Sages. Tank > Hero > Sage > Sage is a fantastic party formation.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
After over 50 hours of playing I finally caught up to where I stopped in DQ7 over ten years ago.

I died again

Oh man Im sorry but laughed too hard at this post for whatever reason after uncovering your spoiler.

jackal27

Banned

That's crazy that it was your first! Dragon Quest 3 (GBC) was my first or second.

KiTA

DQ3...

NES version: You can create party members at the bar, steal their stuff, and delete them. However, there is an overflow bug if you do this a few hundred times that causes your hero's magic to get messed up, and it's really not worth it.

The standard party is: Hero + Soldier + Pilgrim + Wizard. Soldiers are the standard tough guy with weapon and shield. Pilgrim is your healer type, Wizard is your dps mage type.

Another option is to use a FIghter instead of a Soldier or Wizard. Fighters are your kung-fu type, very useful. More damage, less armor.

Merchant and Goof-off round out your class choices. I never really saw the point of taking a Merchant in NES DQ3. Goof-off has a specific use, but isn't that useful initially and should be avoided outside of it being "fun."

SFC / GBC:

The game adds a personality system for your hero, which determines your stat increases at level up. Getting a good personality early on is pretty important, although I don't remember how to do so. Trying oddball things, such as refusing to visit the king in the intro or saying you were rude to him, will change your personality into oddball ones.

The Thief class was added and the Merchant class was upgraded. Thief is kind of broken in DQ3, as it's a very high agility class when the game wasn't really balanced around that. Merchant's abilities include summoning a store or even an inn room using spells, which makes them useful enough to consider using. They also get bonus money after each fight, IIRC.

Fighters in DQ3 get a bit of a boost as well, as the Golden Claw, a cursed item that causes 100% encounter rate (you fight every step you take) doesn't affect you outside of it's dungeon. That means as long as you can get it out of that dungeon you can use it for the rest of the game.

Both games include class changing about halfway through the game. The obvious trick to this is switching your Wizards into Pilgrims and your Pilgrims into Wizards so they have both types of Magic. Another option is turning your Pilgrim into a Soldier or Fighter so you have a melee character that can heal.

In the GBC versions, IIRC the Thief and Merchant special abilities are spells, so starting off with a team of Merchants and Thieves that change into a more standard party later on is an option.

There is a hidden class.
Sage is a combination of Wizard and Pilgrim. In DQ3, they got literally everything the other two classes got AND better HP / MP growth -- later games would make them more of a red mage, with Pilgrims and Wizards getting more powerful / specialized spells. Goof-Offs are less than worthless, but can turn into a Sage directly after level 20. Your other option is to get the Book of Satori (Satori being the Japanese term for Buddhist Enlightenment) from a dungeon -- there's one set drop and the bird monsters in that dungeon drop them rarely.

Sage is useful but not required - you can simulate a DQ3 Sage by switching between Pilgrim and Wizard at a high enough level. My typical powergaming party in DQ3 was Hero + Soldier + Sage + Sage, with the Soldier having had been a Sage before (and the Sages having been Soldiers before, for the massive HP boost). In the GBC editions, they all spent time as Merchants and Thieves for the extra utility spells on top of that.

But ultimately this is just fluff. The game's not hard enough to justify really min-maxxing it. Just make sure you have a healer, a damage dealer or two, and a caster that can cast buffs and debuffs. Unlike other JRPG serieses, DQ games really place a value on buffs and debuff magic, and DQ3 is when that really starts to show.

Top Bottom