• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

Cheerilee

The game adds a personality system for your hero, which determines your stat increases at level up. Getting a good personality early on is pretty important, although I don't remember how to do so. Trying oddball things, such as refusing to visit the king in the intro or saying you were rude to him, will change your personality into oddball ones.

IIRC, there was very little correlation between the decisions you make in the test and the personality you end up with. You just run through the test randomly and get a random personality. Then you can look online to see if your personality is good or bad, because the personality's name doesn't really make it clear if it's good or bad, and restart if you don't like it. But if you're looking at guides online, it's easiest just to look and see which personalities are the best, and exactly what you need to do to get it.

IIRC, the statistically-greatest well-rounded personality was the Sexy Female, but other personalities could be more effective if you were looking to target certain attributes.

Been replaying Dragonball Z: Attack of the Saiyans and it made me think of this series. I own IV, V, VI and IX on the DS and haven't played any of them yet, or any other game in the series actually outside of a few hours with whatever one was on PS2 (VIII I think?). I think I might give IV a go as my next game.

Any tips or stuff I should know before starting? I will assume there are a bunch of missables, but hopefully not stuff that locks me mout of a dungeon or something at the end.

Been replaying Dragonball Z: Attack of the Saiyans and it made me think of this series. I own IV, V, VI and IX on the DS and haven't played any of them yet, or any other game in the series actually outside of a few hours with whatever one was on PS2 (VIII I think?). I think I might give IV a go as my next game.

Any tips or stuff I should know before starting? I will assume there are a bunch of missables, but hopefully not stuff that locks me mout of a dungeon or something at the end.
Talk to NPCs! A lot! Explore every nook and cranny for mini medals - they're usually worth it. Enjoy the ride. I'd also say use Party chat but then the English version of DQIV got rid of that. :\

KiTA

The PC version is supposed to be fairly easy to import. Just have to make sure to make a second account and be on the VPN at the right times, because Square Enix Japan really, really hates foreigners.

PC is probably a better bet as the Wii version can be a little finnicky with the new patches messin' up USB installs.

It's no longer a problem - that's been fixed and there's a repair tool even available from the Wii's shopping channel.

Personally, I started on a UK Wii that I modded to think it was a Japanese Wii.
I then fell in love with the game and imported a Japanese Wii U at launch and played it on Wii mode - then switched to Wii U mode on release of that.
Then I bought the PC version when that was released - but to be honest, my Wii U setup is so convenient that I just mainly play on that.

My Wii U is set to use a particular static IP address. My router is logged into the VPN but only forwards the Wii U through the VPN - this way all my other devices are still in the UK but the Wii U connects to DQX just fine :)

KiTA

My Wii U is set to use a particular static IP address. My router is logged into the VPN but only forwards the Wii U through the VPN - this way all my other devices are still in the UK but the Wii U connects to DQX just fine :)

Huh. I should look into doing that. What VPN service do you use?

Pharaun

PC is probably a better bet as the Wii version can be a little finnicky with the new patches messin' up USB installs.

This was way back when the game first released so the PC version wasn't an option. These days I'm married with a kid on the way and just don't have time for MMOs anymore.

Gloam

This was way back when the game first released so the PC version wasn't an option. These days I'm married with a kid on the way and just don't have time for MMOs anymore.

Pretty much the same situation here, I don't subscribe just play during the Kid's Time which is about seven in the morning here.

My wife sometimes comments on the game 'all you do is run around this weird dimension whacking slimes.' That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

I bought Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 (or whatever it was called) yesterday. Seemed rude not at £6.99 (especially as I had previously turned my nose at £7.99 and for the first Joker game was kind of like "hmm £5 I guess I should" and never got round to buying it).

This reminds me, will the Wii version even continue to work once Nintendo Wi-Fi connection goes down (should be easy to figure out, find the Nintendo Japan page about that and see if it is on the affected list).

Refyref

I bought Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 (or whatever it was called) yesterday. Seemed rude not at £6.99 (especially as I had previously turned my nose at £7.99 and for the first Joker game was kind of like "hmm £5 I guess I should" and never got round to buying it).

This reminds me, will the Wii version even continue to work once Nintendo Wi-Fi connection goes down (should be easy to figure out, find the Nintendo Japan page about that and see if it is on the affected list).

Well, the NWC is going down since it's hosted by Gamespy, which DQX isn't.

KtSlime

yeah but i might have missed that thread and it then it would be casually discussed in here ;)
You won't miss it, I'll be bitching about the devaluation of my sealed copy of DW7.

Anyone here play DQM2 for 3DS? I was thinking of grabbing a strategy guide should I get the one by SE or by V Jump?

If anyone here plays DQMSL add me: 165,568,251

KiTA

You won't miss it, I'll be bitching about the devaluation of my sealed copy of DW7.

Anyone here play DQM2 for 3DS? I was thinking of grabbing a strategy guide should I get the one by SE or by V Jump?

If anyone here plays DQMSL add me: 165,568,251

I haven't got DQM2 for 3DS, need to. I am not bilingual but did pick up a j3DS for DQM1 - haven't played it much. I wonder if DQM2 is on the Japanese eShop?

I tried DQM SL, but an update made it not work and I've been too lazy to download the APK manually to fix that. I really really wish Square Enix Japan would drop the xenophobia already - region locking 3DS games is one thing (still a horrible move but whatever), but region locking Android games? Bad form!

I'm thinking about finally starting a game in the DQ series. Which one should I start with?

That's a remarkably complex question. DQ9 or DQ8 is probably the best answer I can give without getting into a ton of detail. Both are excellent and feel wildly different.

Aeana

If you want to play 3, the SNES version is the way to go. If you don't mind a fan translation and emulation, at least.

What about 3? Are 4 and 5 that much better?

Well, 3 is a fine game as well, but like others have said it hasn't seen an update in a long while. If you want to play 3, SNES or GBC are the way to go. As for me, 4 is the best hands-down and I've replayed it the most out of all the games, while 5 is considered by many to be one of the best, if not the best.

Yasae

Banned
So. Finally got around to DQ VIII.

3x native with FXAA, skipdraw = 1 for shadows, Wild Arms hack for non-garbled text.

EN0AiGk.jpg

dwT6uRS.jpg

YbGasbF.jpg

Last pic has some mileage.

tebunker

Banned
Picked up DQ II for famicom today. Goingnto go back and get III and IV all for posterity and collection. I mean just the cartridge art alone makes them worth owning and makes more mad at Enix/se and nintendo

Faustek

ok so a question. Been trying to acquire as much info as possible about DQ here in the west and it's localisations. Even went so far as to try and exchange a booty call with a ex (person within the marketing industry) but she said she knew nothing. Even though they talked with people from SE from time to time, no one apparently cares enough to ask about anything other than Final Fantasy -.-

Anyway before I stray, what the crap is it with people saying that Nintendo "had" to "chose" between DQVII and Bravely Default? seen it here on GAF, Gamefaqs, /v/ and all random forums. Doesn't make sense. Anyone have an inkling to what is going on? or just pure tales from the @ss?

KtSlime

It could be that the localization department at Nintendo only has X amount of dollars to use for projects, and so in a sense they only had the budget to do one and chose to do the cheaper one without all the baggage. This is pure speculation, but what I'm saying is it probably wasn't meant to be understood that they could only do one or the other ever, but only one at a time.

I don't however think 7 will ever be brought over, so you should probably stop waiting.

Faustek

It could be that the localization department at Nintendo only has X amount of dollars to use for projects, and so in a sense they only had the budget to do one and chose to do the cheaper one without all the baggage. This is pure speculation, but what I'm saying is it probably wasn't meant to be understood that they could only do one or the other ever, but only one at a time.

I don't however think 7 will ever be brought over, so you should probably stop waiting.

Actually seems more reasonable.
Wait? Nah man, action! a Tweet here a Tweet there, a long mail here and long mail there....or you know just hoping a Asia Version will be released with English text and I'm all set.

Seeing this community thread reminds me that I really need to stop playing EO2 and unlock my DQ9 WFC content before it goes down. I mostly play single player games, so DQ9 will probably be my be my biggest loss with no more WFC.

Dumb networking question that might not be best asked here. If you have a wireless adapter that has access point mode and you set it to WEP, even though your router is set to WPA, will it let you connect a DS to the internet? Better yet, has anyone had any luck connecting a DS to Intel My Wifi? I was fiddling with this when I saw the "Save Nintendo Wifi" project asking for people to send them packet captures, but I was only able to get my 3DS to connect, not my Phat/3DS in DS's Wifi mode.

Gloam

Anyway before I stray, what the crap is it with people saying that Nintendo "had" to "chose" between DQVII and Bravely Default? seen it here on GAF, Gamefaqs, /v/ and all random forums. Doesn't make sense. Anyone have an inkling to what is going on? or just pure tales from the @ss?

I don't think that there was any truth to the post that got the ball rolling on all of this BD vs DQVII thing.

KtSlime

Actually seems more reasonable.
Wait? Nah man, action! a Tweet here a Tweet there, a long mail here and long mail there....or you know just hoping a Asia Version will be released with English text and I'm all set.

I live in Japan, it's DQ yarihoudai here. Sucks that the English speaking market has rejected the series though. Time to learn Japanese I guess?

Joqu

ok so a question. Been trying to acquire as much info as possible about DQ here in the west and it's localisations. Even went so far as to try and exchange a booty call with a ex (person within the marketing industry) but she said she knew nothing. Even though they talked with people from SE from time to time, no one apparently cares enough to ask about anything other than Final Fantasy -.-

Reggie tweeted about Dragon Quest a while ago. I'd say something is coming at least.

Cheerilee

It started with this Tweet from Imran Khan, aka ShockingAlberto on GAF.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=63227211&postcount=7

He clarified that his info came from a source in NOA, who said that NOA had the available resources to do one or the other, but not both, so they picked the better bet.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=63322316&postcount=56

Then Aeana said that her sources told her something completely different, but she can't talk about it.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=63365061&postcount=73

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

It's fairly straight forward until you get to running the shop, when you need to decide how long you'll spend doing that. Save DQV for a good time, it's the best one.

Speaking of DBZ: AotS, it made me wish Honne did the art direction for a 2D DQ. It's a bit traditional compared to his style, but his did a good job mixing his own style with DBZ (although admittedly it was more his style) and I would've love to see his attention to detail in a DQ.

Gloam

Speaking of DBZ: AotS, it made me wish Honne did the art direction for a 2D DQ. It's a bit traditional compared to his style, but his did a good job mixing his own style with DBZ (although admittedly it was more his style) and I would've love to see his attention to detail in a DQ.

I think ti would be nice to see a DQ that really went for the look of Toriyama's art, not just with the characters, but the world map also, more lines and pencil-y texturing would look great. It's something that struck me about DQX where sometimes it looks as if the landscapes could be from another game entirely when set against the characters.

It's fairly straight forward until you get to running the shop, when you need to decide how long you'll spend doing that. Save DQV for a good time, it's the best one.

Did he do the backgrounds? I really love them in AotS.

Edit: Also thanks for people who gave advice on IV. I actually decided to start Radiant Historia instead but will probably move onto DQ after.

Then Aeana said that her sources told her something completely different, but she can't talk about it.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...1&postcount=73

AH....it makes me wish again DQVII3ds could come here (PAL and USA)...I have completed the jp version, it is soooo good, easily the best jrpg for me on 3ds-even if the language was such a barrier (well, the fact it was a remake of a game I played was a lot of help but anyway...)
So much content, nice graphic and music, great systems, a great sense of "going on an adventure", some awesome stories...it needs to happen !

So i want to buy dragon quest x for wii. Do i need to buy both the first and the secodnd version? Or is the second version including all the contentof the firstone?

Gloam

So i want to buy dragon quest x for wii. Do i need to buy both the first and the secodnd version? Or is the second version including all the contentof the firstone?

You can play the game without the 2nd version, they are seperate packages. You won't be able to access certain story eleemnts without the 2nd version though.

Faustek

It started with this Tweet from Imran Khan, aka ShockingAlberto on GAF.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=63227211&postcount=7

He clarified that his info came from a source in NOA, who said that NOA had the available resources to do one or the other, but not both, so they picked the better bet.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=63322316&postcount=56

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=63365061&postcount=73

Thanks a lot. Yeah sounds like a lot of conjecture and tales from the @ss.

I live in Japan, it's DQ yarihoudai here. Sucks that the English speaking market has rejected the series though. Time to learn Japanese I guess?

Been trying to, but being stuck at work 50h a week usually, sometimes more but barely ever less makes it hard but decided to give it a real go so I bought the Genki books, a few recommended lexicons by a lit.prof in Japanese and imported a few shounen mangas to get me started...now I just have to start :)

But rejected? as far as I can tell it never got any real marketing and the people who bought it didn't know what was in store for them.

Jucksalbe

Banned
But rejected? as far as I can tell it never got any real marketing and the people who bought it didn't know what was in store for them.

Depends on which game you're thinking of. From what I remember Dragon Quest VIII got a ton of marketing (at least here in Germany), it even had a TV commercial. But then again, that game did rather well.
Dragon Quest VI still got some print ads, but overall wasn't marketed as much.

Top Bottom