• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

ghibli99

I haven't played a DQ game since August '12. :( Is there any good news for US players?

I suppose I could wrap up more quests in DQ9. :p

Faustek

Depends on which game you're thinking of. From what I remember Dragon Quest VIII got a ton of marketing (at least here in Germany), it even had a TV commercial. But then again, that game did rather well.
Dragon Quest VI still got some print ads, but overall wasn't marketed as much.

overall, never saw an add if it wasn't Edge
just putting this out there, screw you amazon uk! took me a week back in the day to import Edge now if I buy something from you it takes 8-15 days, fix your shit
or a dedicated site writing about them. It was always about Final Fantasy otherwise. It's actually quite a mystery that any RPG survived from the snes era. Btw I know Sweden is a small market, terribly small but still not "buying" add space in a gaming magazine is effing terrible.

I haven't played a DQ game since August '12. :( Is there any good news for US players?

I suppose I could wrap up more quests in DQ9. :p

There is always time to wrap up a few quests :D

You can play the game without the 2nd version, they are seperate packages. You won't be able to access certain story eleemnts without the 2nd version though.

so 1st version must have 2nd version nice to have?
also is SE banning foreign players if they get behind that you are playing vpn?

Gloam

so 1st version must have 2nd version nice to have?
also is SE banning foreign players if they get behind that you are playing vpn?

1st is required 2nd is not.

As far as VPN goes, no they're not banning accounts specifically. You're probably not going to have much luck speaking English in chat though, the in-built text commands come in handy enough and the game is very solo-friendly thanks to renting out companions, spirit balls etc.

The risk is that the IP address associated with the VPN may be banned therefore locking out other plays also, best bet is to keep to yourself or join a team of English speakers so as to stay under-the-radar. Though, I'd imagine somebody at SE Japan has some idea of what is going on with foreign players, they haven't taken action against peoples' accounts as far I can tell.

Also, if you have the option the PC version might be an easier time than the Wii version, though as RagingAvatar mentioned earlier in the thread, the Wii version is easy enough to set-up as well.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Any tips for
Orgodemir (first fight, I guess?)
in DQ VII? He just has so many group attacks and I still haven't learned Multiheal.

Aeana

I take it you haven't learned hustle dance either. It's going to be tough without some way to heal everyone, but if you keep someone on sage's stone duty, that might be enough.

Edit: oops, was thinking about the 3DS version, so the above won't be super helpful.

Aeana

The sage's stone is a medal reward. 83 medals. It's completely possible to have that many by the place you're at, but I considered that might not be the case. It's easier in the 3DS version.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Hmm....I think I have around 75. There's no fortune teller for mini medals, is there? So if I want to find the ones I missed I'd have to randomly check everywhere.

Jucksalbe

Banned
PCvYEYb.png

Killed him! Though I must admit I grinded a little to get some better equipment. More importantly, in the process I got AngelSong which helped a lot during the fight. I was down to only two party members several times in that fight, couldn't have done it without AngelSong, which also seems to have a higher chance of succeeding than Vivify.

KtSlime

In general (not any particular DQ game), how effective is 物理斬り (physical cut?) and 魔神斬り (devil cut?) against metal slime? Is metal cut the most effective?

Cheerilee

In general (not any particular DQ game), how effective is 物理斬り (physical cut?) and 魔神斬り (devil cut?) against metal slime? Is metal cut the most effective?

At best, using any special attacks against a metal slime is a waste of effort, at worst, they're a missed opportunity because metals are totally immune to all magics and elements. Basically, you just try desperately to hit them, and if you're lucky, you connect and cause 1 damage point. You keep on swinging and hopefully a bunch of single damage points add up to a kill before they run away.

Metal cut has perfect accuracy against metals, IIRC, so it still hits with ones, but they add up much faster than normal because you're not swinging and missing. Dragon fire also lands ones on the target with perfect accuracy, IIRC.

Something like a Falcon Sword which hits twice in one strike is a good way to make the damage add up faster than a regular attack. There were a bunch of skills in DQ9 which hit four times in one turn, so if you set a number of characters to just barrage a metal with hits, you can take them down pretty easy.

But the best way to kill a metal slime is to try and force a critical hit. A critical hit will typically one-shot-kill a metal. There were some "all or nothing" kind of skills in DQ9 which would deliver criticals 50% of the time, so a group of four could take down two metals per-round on average.

KtSlime

At best, using any special attacks against a metal slime is a waste of effort, at worst, they're a missed opportunity because metals are totally immune to all magics and elements. Basically, you just try desperately to hit them, and if you're lucky, you connect and cause 1 damage point. You keep on swinging and hopefully a bunch of single damage points add up to a kill before they run away.

Metal cut has perfect accuracy against metals, IIRC, so it still hits with ones, but they add up much faster than normal because you're not swinging and missing. Dragon fire also lands ones on the target with perfect accuracy, IIRC.

Something like a Falcon Sword which hits twice in one strike is a good way to make the damage add up faster than a regular attack. There were a bunch of skills in DQ9 which hit four times in one turn, so if you set a number of characters to just barrage a metal with hits, you can take them down pretty easy.

But the best way to kill a metal slime is to try and force a critical hit. A critical hit will typically one-shot-kill a metal. There were some "all or nothing" kind of skills in DQ9 which would deliver criticals 50% of the time, so a group of four could take down two metals per-round on average.

Thanks, that's pretty much what I figured. I ended up bringing along metal cut with my evolved monster, it would have been nice to have dorokuma, but hunting for hagure slime would have probably been harder, and monsters with metal cut are hard to come by in the game (let alone S rank monsters).

Also, if you have the option the PC version might be an easier time than the Wii version, though as RagingAvatar mentioned earlier in the thread, the Wii version is easy enough to set-up as well.

I personally prefer having a Wii or Wii U setup because I have it permanently configured to go through the VPN - no enabling or disabling the VPN when I want to play and I can guarantee that only DQX is going over the VPN, less traffic therefore less lag. Much better.

I also appreciate though, that's quite an investment.

Gloam

I personally prefer having a Wii or Wii U setup because I have it permanently configured to go through the VPN - no enabling or disabling the VPN when I want to play and I can guarantee that only DQX is going over the VPN, less traffic therefore less lag. Much better.

I also appreciate though, that's quite an investment.

Certainly seems as if you've got it figured out. Setting up the Wii version was a real production for me, used my Macbook as a wi-fi point most of the time, let's say I couldn't just play DQX on a whim, if I wanted to play I really had to commit.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I finally finished Dragon Quest VII (PSX), after playing this for over a decade (I got this at release and lost several save files along the way)!

I really, really love this game, I'd consider this a (somewhat unrecognized) masterpiece of the genre. But it is a damn long game. I knew what to do for over half of the game this time and it still took me over 80 hours to complete it. It also seems to be the game with the lowest level to hour ratio I've ever played (for me it's <0.5), which is in part because of the extremely long time it takes to level up, but mostyl it's because a good chunk of this game feels more like an adventure game than an RPG with longer parts that have hardly any battles.

Where it shines is with all the different stories it tells and how it tells them and how they are connected or sometimes picked up again later on. I can't think of any other game outside of this series that does this as well as this game. The English translation seems to be pretty good, despite the many technical limitations it faces, though there are quite a few typos, even in the more important story sequences, even in the ending. But given the size of the script, it's still pretty impressive work. It doesn't fall in line with the modern localization, though.

There are some small things I hope the remake fixed, though. I desperately needed a world map that shows the names of the towns, for example, and a story synopsis would have been nice. And you can't see your max HP in battle which can be really annoying, item description could be more detailed as well (especially before buying). If it ever gets an English release it'll also be nice to have spell names that aren't limited to only a few characters (I think it's 9 or 10 here).

Oh, and I missed
the freaking shard that you get in the ending sequence. Did they really have to put this there, instead of just having a save after the credits? It kinda pisses me off, I'm certainly not doing the boss fight again (at least not right away). Oh well, probably wouldn't have played the bonus dungeon anytime soon anyway

I guess my next DQ game to finish will probably be DQ2, but I kinda feel like I want to play something other than an RPG first.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Great! Is this sorted by the different towns? They sometimes referenced different towns later on and it took me a while to remember what happened there.

Oxx

Have any of the phone versions been confirmed for the west yet?

Or just trademarked names at the moment?

Yeah, given how ghastly the FF games have looked on mobiles, DQIV is surprisingly decent...I just worry about camera control :p. I'd like to try it out though, if it gets an English release.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Dragon Quest 6 question:

Do the abilities/spells learned from one vocation transfer to another? Like, if I learned Fullheal as a Sage (or Priest or whatever - this is just an example!) and then switched to Gladiator, would I still have the ability to use Fullheal?

Ultratech

Dragon Quest 6 question:

Do the abilities/spells learned from one vocation transfer to another? Like, if I learned Fullheal as a Sage (or Priest or whatever - this is just an example!) and then switched to Gladiator, would I still have the ability to use Fullheal?

Yup.

Abilities and Spells carry over from Job to Job.

So you could have a Sage dealing out skills learned from a Gladiator, or a Gladiator dishing out spells.

Link1110

Got DQ4 on iOS. I kinda want DLC with the original NES music because I still prefer that to the remixes after all these years. Other than that, it's a pretty competent port. I'm hoping for 5 next, but given the completely random nature of how they're releasing these, who knows?

KtSlime

Got DQ4 on iOS. I kinda want DLC with the original NES music because I still prefer that to the remixes after all these years. Other than that, it's a pretty competent port. I'm hoping for 5 next, but given the completely random nature of how they're releasing these, who knows?
If I was a betting man I'd say 2 is next.

Link1110

If I was a betting man I'd say 2 is next.

Thinking about it, you may be right pattern wise.

1 is the start of the Loto trilogy
8 is standalone but wanted, and since 7 came out on 3ds too recently, they'd likely save that for last.
4 is the start of the Zenethian trilogy

If there is a pattern, it'll be 2. Of course they could be haphazard and do 6 for all anyone knows.

Arthos

I totally regret having sold DQIV about a year ago. Now I want it and it's about twice as much as I paid for it originally ($12). So DQV is really good, right? Thinking of picking up a copy for about $33. Not sure if that's a deal or not.

I'm gonna try to give DQ IX another try. Last time I attempted it, I was juggling it with TWEWY.

Neku won.

Ebay suggests that that's about what you can expect for DQV. I'm not sure if it's the most sought after DQ game, but the ones that people usually say they like more (8 and 9) are easier to find it seems.

Does DQV's ps2 edition have party chat? I'm thinking that when the time comes for me to replay it (and not use Deborah), I'll give that version a shot.

KtSlime

I'd like to think we would've gotten word of new remakes of DQs I, II and III using reDQVII's or DQVIII's engine by now if it weren't for the shift to mobile. Imagine exploring an Alefgard as lush and grand as the overworlds of those games.

But this is almost as good. :(

Also, I can't stop watching this.

GLORY FOR THE ASS

You are high.

Remakes using 7 or 8's engine would not have been profitable enough to make them. Also, 1,2, and 3 are pretty much perfect as they are. No need to ruin them by making them 3D.

Refyref

The pixels can be fixed (probably won't though). But everything else about it is fine, not every game needs to be remade in 3D.

Oh, I agree that not everything needs to be 3D, just that these mobile ports are doing a good job at ruining them without the help of 3D.

(Actually, 3D would probably work out better for the mobile ports, since 3D models scale to different ratios far better than sprites.)

KiTA

I have no idea what I just watched but I think I want more.

I don't recognize the song offhand... (Something from Jam Project?), but most of those video clips are from the Dragon Quest arcade card game - Dragon Quest Monster Battle Road.

I'd link the Monster Battle Road Victory opening, but SE appears to have purged it from Youtube with their most recent copyright spam against any Westerners posting unapproved DQ stuff.

Scrawnton

Dragon Quest is my favorite game series of all time and I'm starting to feel sad that DQ 7 hasn't come out in America yet... I've gone too long without a new dq game.. The music in this remake is so good too. It moves me.

In actually feeling a little depressed about this. That's sad, isn't it?

Psxphile

Remakes using 7 or 8's engine would not have been profitable enough to make them. Also, 1,2, and 3 are pretty much perfect as they are. No need to ruin them by making them 3D.
I won't comment on their perceived profitability (especially when it could potentially raise visibility in western markets), but I fail to see how the jump to 3D could "ruin" them.

I don't recognize the song offhand... (Something from Jam Project?), but most of those video clips are from the Dragon Quest arcade card game - Dragon Quest Monster Battle Road.

It's the title theme to Dragon Ball Z Burst Limit.

Top Bottom