• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Can you somehow manipulate the chances for a Metal Slime type of enemy not to run away? For example, is it more likely to run away when it's alone?

I have to admit I'm grinding a bit in Dragon Quest III at the moment and it sure would be nice if those Liquid Metal Slimes wouldn't run away so often.

Can you somehow manipulate the chances for a Metal Slime type of enemy not to run away? For example, is it more likely to run away when it's alone?

I have to admit I'm grinding a bit in Dragon Quest III at the moment and it sure would be nice if those Liquid Metal Slimes wouldn't run away so often.

As far as I know, there is no way to mitigate it.

Pretty sure the only way to improve your chances is to go the other way around; try to increase your amount of attacks and just play the numbers game.

Cheerilee

Pretty sure the only way to improve your chances is to go the other way around; try to increase your amount of attacks and just play the numbers game.

IIRC, there's two good strategies for killing metals in DQ3 (and maybe all/most DQ games).

1: Critical hits. They don't miss and they deal more than enough damage to take out a metal in one shot. The martial artist delivers criticals the most frequently. Loading three martial artists onto your party can lead to a somewhat-reliable stream of critical hits and a good harvest of metals.

2: Number of hits. You just gotta get lucky and connect with a bunch of 1HP hits, and hope they all add up in time. The Falcon Sword gives you two strikes per-attack (each strike being weaker, but against a metal, who cares?), so it effectively doubles the time you have to get hits in before the metal runs away, which can more than double your rate of killing metals if you're close to beating them and they tend to run away just before you finish.

If you have a mixed party (with just one martial artist) and you're facing a group of metals, do yourself a favor and have the martial artist target his own metal, not the one your other three characters are targeting. It's kind of annoying to spend several turns working on wearing down a metal, and just when you're about to bag it, the martial artist steps in and *boom* "I killed it!" Go bag your own metal, not the one the rest of the party was working on, you kill-stealing jerk (unless you're facing just one metal, then it's a free-for-all).

Jucksalbe

Banned
Yeah, that's about how I was doing it. Most slimes were killed by criticals, because I couldn't do enough "normal" damage before they ran away. When I was grinding I didn't have the Falcon Sword yet, but now that I do, I managed to kill a few with just normal attacks.

Anyway, almost done with the game, so I hope I'll manage without any more grinding now.

Jucksalbe

Banned
fmWFR02.png

Finished Dragon Quest III (SFC version).

It was the last mainline DQ title (aside from DQX) that I hadn't beaten yet. Greatly enjoyed the amount of freedom the game gives you, but I really should have taken notes. There's just too much stuff to look for at once sometimes and it's hard to remember all the hints you get. I was simply too lazy to look for a pencil. Just means I traveled around the world a few more times than I needed to.

1upsuper

Anyone else picking up Joker 3? Ordered my copy last night and I'm pretty much hyped out of my mind. Joker 1 and 2 were major disappointments for me (Pro was better) but the remakes of 1 and 2 were superb. I'm hoping it's as good as those. Looks like it might have a smaller monster count though, which is lame.

Yeah, I've put in a few hours already, though I guess it's not popular enough to get its own import thread.

As someone whose favorite monster is the Killer Machine, I am happy to report that they are easily created within minutes of unlocking synthesis due to Metal Hunters appearing as regular enemies so early. Whoo.

5U89sxX.jpg

Though having Metal Hunters as F rank seems pretty unusual to me.

1upsuper

Yeah, I've put in a few hours already, though I guess it's not popular enough to get its own import thread.

As someone whose favorite monster is the Killer Machine, I am happy to report that they are easily created within minutes of unlocking synthesis due to Metal Hunters appearing as regular enemies so early. Whoo.

5U89sxX.jpg

therearedozensofus.gif

Glad to see someone else! And the Killer Machine line is personal favorite of mine too, so that's cool. I really dug the special red palette swap from Iru to Ruka. I hope it's in this one as well, or at least the new monster color change feature works well. Have you had a chance to use it? I'm curious how robust it is. Probably won't have my copy to see for myself until well into next week. :/

Edit: I just realized I recognize you from Woodus. I guess the western DQ world sure is small, eh?

mid83

About to start DQ IV on my 3DS. I'm hoping to finish IV-VI before VII comes out.

Any tips or suggestions for IV? I'm pretty excited. It's my first DQ game in years.

Camjo-Z

About to start DQ IV on my 3DS. I'm hoping to finish IV-VI before VII comes out.

Any tips or suggestions for IV? I'm pretty excited. It's my first DQ game in years.

Torneko is the best character in the game. He does the most damage and has the most useful spells. Basically, never take him out of your party.

Cheerilee

In terms of structure, DQ IV is like four little mini-RPGs, which introduce you to the main characters before they meet up in the fifth chapter.

In his introductory chapter, Torneko (the merchant) is capable of making more money than anyone else in the entire game, and you can carry that wealth over to the fifth chapter. So if you want to make the rest of the game a little bit easier, don't end his chapter until you're loaded.

Psxphile

In terms of structure, DQ IV is like four little mini-RPGs, which introduce you to the main characters before they meet up in the fifth chapter.

In his introductory chapter, Torneko (the merchant) is capable of making more money than anyone else in the entire game, and you can carry that wealth over to the fifth chapter. So if you want to make the rest of the game a little bit easier, don't end his chapter until you're loaded.

To be more precise: Gold doesn't carry over between chapters, but salable equipment do.

I need some help beating the first boss in Dragon Quest V. The main character's attacks are too weak only dealing one point of damage and Bianca takes a lot of damage. They're both on level 5.

KiTA

5U89sxX.jpg

Didn't they branch out the Metal Hunter / KM line in Japan? With like, MH, KM, KM2, Super Killer Machine... Plenty of room for low rank versions.

As an aside: Oh wow, Joker 3 is already out? Weird. Maybe it's time to get some CFW going on my N3DSXL so I can import it, or just play it on my JP3DS...

Jucksalbe

Banned
I need some help beating the first boss in Dragon Quest V. The main character's attacks are too weak only dealing one point of damage and Bianca takes a lot of damage. They're both on level 5.

Looking at the guide, you should have Kasap at this point. Use that and you should be able to some damage.

Anyone else picking up Joker 3? Ordered my copy last night and I'm pretty much hyped out of my mind. Joker 1 and 2 were major disappointments for me (Pro was better) but the remakes of 1 and 2 were superb. I'm hoping it's as good as those. Looks like it might have a smaller monster count though, which is lame.

Asked for it for my birthday cuz I'm broke. This means I'll have to wait like a month though.

Dragon Quest VII is no longer available at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B017W175SE/?tag=neogaf0e-20
It has been removed completely (it doesn't come up in search lists, it was also removed from any wish list).

Anyone knows what's up with that?
Dragon Quest VIII is still listed: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B017W16ZUI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Maybe someone can correct me, but I think Amazon sometimes temporarily removes listings for certain games which still don't have release dates. DQ VII was featured with a bit of new footage in the RPG promo roll in last month's Nintendo Direct as "later 2016," I'm sure it's still fine but yeah, good to take note of.

Edit: Not sure why DQ 8 still has its page though.

Ok, I just got off the phone with Nintendo customer service about DQ VII and the rep said he doesn't see anything on their side indicating it's been cancelled. He also said the game is still listed on their site as an upcoming title and in his opinion it's '....probably just an Amazon issue, it's hard to say but they might have removed it due to it being a title which still doesn't have a set date or they may have removed it due to pre-order quotas for it running out on their side.' He also said this wouldn't indicate either way if it was changed to a Gamestop exclusive. Will have to see I guess.

Edit: The preview page for it on Nintendo.com is still up as the rep said:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/dragon-quest-vii-fragments-of-the-forgotten-past-3ds

Chucker

A friend of mine said he was going through DQIII on GBC. I hadn't played the game since the summer it came out on NES.

I got so lost in that game that my parents had to block 800 numbers since I was calling the powerline too much.

Anyway, started playing the SFC version and then a few other people on another forum decided it would be our impromptu GOTM.

I have such fond memories of this game, can't wait to see if it holds up.

A friend of mine said he was going through DQIII on GBC. I hadn't played the game since the summer it came out on NES.

I got so lost in that game that my parents had to block 800 numbers since I was calling the powerline too much.

Anyway, started playing the SFC version and then a few other people on another forum decided it would be our impromptu GOTM.

I have such fond memories of this game, can't wait to see if it holds up.

Too awesome. Ah the days before Gamefaqs when all we had were our game magazines, tips from friends and the power line. Love stories like this from fellow '80s/90s gamers.

I haven't decided if I'm going to play the SFC or GBC version whenever I get to DQ III.

Aters

Dragon Quest is a series that some modest grinding is necessary.
OK I don't remember that boss actually, but the rule still apply.

^^ That's been the only boss so far that I had to grind for. I thought I might needed to when I lost to the lava guys, but then I devised a strategy using Dazzle, Kabuff, and Kasap and I took them down.

How come holy water doesn't ever work for me? I always use it when I get tired of being bombarded by random encounters, especially if I need to escape out of a dungeon and it does nothing. When it says the effects have worn off I'm like "When was it in effect?'

Aeana

^^ That's been the only boss so far that I had to grind for. I thought I might needed to when I lost to the lava guys, but then I devised a strategy using Dazzle, Kabuff, and Kasap and I took them down.

How come holy water doesn't ever work for me? I always use it when I get tired of being bombarded by random encounters, especially if I need to escape out of a dungeon and it does nothing. When it says the effects have worn off I'm like "When was it in effect?'
Holy water only prevents lower level encounters, not ones around your level.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Ok, I just got off the phone with Nintendo customer service about DQ VII and the rep said he doesn't see anything on their side indicating it's been cancelled. He also said the game is still listed on their site as an upcoming title and in his opinion it's '....probably just an Amazon issue, it's hard to say but they might have removed it due to it being a title which still doesn't have a set date or they may have removed it due to pre-order quotas for it running out on their side.' He also said this wouldn't indicate either way if it was changed to a Gamestop exclusive. Will have to see I guess.

Edit: The preview page for it on Nintendo.com is still up as the rep said:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/dragon-quest-vii-fragments-of-the-forgotten-past-3ds

Sounds like an error then. If one of the other major retailers drops it or Amazon doesn't put it back up, then we'll worry, but it sounds like it will be okay. Thanks for checking.

Gloam

It's an event taking place in Switzerland in May. There'll be playable demos of some of the new DQ games that are coming out.

Cheerilee

What good does that do anybody?

After you do all your grinding and revisit an older area, the only thing the low-level monsters are doing is eating up your time and draining you (the player) mentally. They're not a challenge or a threat and the gold/exp they give you is basically nothing.

If you want, you can use holy water to push those guys away and save yourself a headache. It solves a quirk of the game design without handholding.

Also, I'm not sure but... you know how most dungeons in Dragon Quest are basically an endurance test? By the time you exit a dungeon your muscles are typically bulging from all the battles you've been in, but you're bloodied and beaten and your gas tank is almost empty and you might be blown over by a solid gust of wind. At this point, holy water plus your new bulging muscles might be enough to intimidate some (not all) monsters away from messing with you as you make your way over to the inn to get cleaned up and rested.

I've occasionally said to myself in Dragon Quest "I don't know if I can make it back to town at this rate. Will holy water make a difference? Well, it can't hurt. Only one way to find out." *Use the holy water, take up the sword again, and keep slashing your way towards the light at the end of the tunnel*

I can't say if I've ever noticed the holy water getting me out of one of those situations, or if it was just good luck/bad luck that I lived/died.

Is there somewhere that can tell me what monsters can use what equipment? I'm having a hard time setting up gear for Chromeo and Ward. Also Dwight seems pretty weak but levels up the fastest of any monster.

Teknoman

SFC DQ almost done. This will be the first time I've ever beaten the first game.
I'm guessing that choice is how DQ builders came about?

EDIT: And done.

CgYbqvAUMAAIMX8.jpg

The one thing i've never known about DQ, do enemies actually have elemental weaknesses or are the different elemental spells just more damaging than the last regardless of "frizzle,zap,crackle,etc".

Anyone have any tips on how to beat Bjorn? I was told to grind til Ward learns Multiheal, but it's taking forever for him to just to go up one level. This grinding is not fun.

Top Bottom