• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

So I took the dive and paid a pretty penny for the DS versions of IV, V, and VI..I can't wait to give them a shot. Way back when IV came out I did play a bit of it when I borrowed it from a friend, but I didn't get to finish it. V is still regarded as the best of the three, right?

I'm still new to the series and have yet to play IV and VI but V is amazing, try to play it on a DS Lite or DSi so the colors and visuals have a chance to really shine.

Chesskid1

Banned
i noticed there is an abundant amount of sealed copies of DQ V going around for $20 on ebay, etc. idk, im just kinda suspicious. any chance they are bootlegs?

So I took the dive and paid a pretty penny for the DS versions of IV, V, and VI..I can't wait to give them a shot. Way back when IV came out I did play a bit of it when I borrowed it from a friend, but I didn't get to finish it. V is still regarded as the best of the three, right?

me too! getting back into the 3ds and DQ8 is a big want for me, so figured i would start collecting/completing the DS games. IV and V ordered and should arrive soon, will get VI if i complete them as motivation. V and IX are the only ones i completed and i loved them.

Camjo-Z

i noticed there is an abundant amount of sealed copies of DQ V going around for $20 on ebay, etc. idk, im just kinda suspicious. any chance they are bootlegs?

I know SE was selling copies of DQ V on Black Friday for $12, maybe people bought them up and are trying to flip.

mjc

ahh. makes perfect sense there is a bunch of sealed copies floating around. thanks.

I actually got my copy of V off ebay too, but for more than $20. I saw those listings too, but I noticed they were coming from China. That was enough to make me a little suspicious of the listing.

Last year I was able to get my sealed copy of Dragon Quest V DS for $39 but that was a steal because at the time new copies of DQ V were averaging around $60, so yeah, those are probably copies someone is flipping from the SE sale. Either that or someone found a stash of them somewhere.

Camjo-Z

Dragon Quest Builders demo is up on JP PSN for anyone interested, download size is 420 MB.

EDIT: Whoa, this is a pretty generous demo. I'm like 2 hours in and it's still not over, they even let you save.

Camjo-Z

Thanks for reminding me. I hope I can get through it somehow since I don't understand Japanese.

It's hasn't been too hard to figure out, although I've gotten to a point where someone wants me to get a hammer but I can't craft one and I can't seem to find one anywhere on the map either. Maybe it's the end of the demo.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Got reasonably far into the demo. Really liking it so far, it's like a more charming Minecraft. Also no first person perspective, so my girlfriend can play this without getting motion sickness. I'll definitely buy it if it gets released in English.

Now I'm stuck, though. Can somebody tell me what exactly I have to do here (I hope that one screenshot is enough)?

IjJsByph.png

KtSlime

I haven't started playing it, as I will have to wait for a PC version, but based on the text on the screen says:

...make various things like the straw bed and pot that flashed just now (or a bit earlier).

Doesn't seem like that text will be much help.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Thanks, but yeah, there were more lines of text, but I hoped that this would be the most important one. I made those items, so it seems I have to do something specific with them.

Camjo-Z

Got reasonably far into the demo. Really liking it so far, it's like a more charming Minecraft. Also no first person perspective, so my girlfriend can play this without getting motion sickness. I'll definitely buy it if it gets released in English.

Now I'm stuck, though. Can somebody tell me what exactly I have to do here (I hope that one screenshot is enough)?

You have to place pots/beds/etc in rooms to get the town to level 2.

TEJ

Getting a ps4 in a week and a half, noticed dqheroes was 40 on amazon so I ordered myself a copy.

It's funny. I used to hate this franchise for really stupid reasons but as I get older I appreciate it more and more.

Really excited for dq7-8 3ds. I hope dq11 comes to the west.

I bought DQ Wars (DSi download) for my 3DS. Seems like a mistake since it looks like the disabled network features are a big part of the game.

I'm thinking about playing Dragon Quest Monsters Caravan Heart for GBA as my second DQ game (still playing through V which is my first). I've never played a DQM game but I love the monster collecting in DQ V, and based on videos it looks much more like a proper quest than the Joker series and I hear it ties into the early games somehow. I also like that a young version of Kiefer is in the game, so also thought this could be fun to play before DQ 7 3DS is localized later this year. Any folks here like this game, recommendations, pros/cons?

Jucksalbe

Banned
I don't think Treehouse did any of the Dragon Quest translations so far. From what I remember it was mainly Plus Alpha and 8-4?

But Treehouse localizations are perfectly fine. For DQ8 they'll probably reuse most of the PS2 script anyway.

I don't think Treehouse did any of the Dragon Quest translations so far. From what I remember it was mainly Plus Alpha and 8-4?

But Treehouse localizations are perfectly fine. For DQ8 they'll probably reuse most of the PS2 script anyway.

I hope so, I did not mind what they did in Fantasy Life (the dude that worked in that game talking about it in the Stream during E3 was amazing, you could feel his effort there) but their last jobs were terrible, not something I would consider "fine". I hope they just reuse the PS2 script.

javadoze

Someone just told me that Nintendo is taking care of the localization of Dragon Quest 7 and 8.
How high are the chances that Treehouse is translating it?

I have a feeling I'm going to have to play the PS2 version.

DQVII is a "maybe", I think Treehouse did DQMJ2 and DQIX while 8-4 did DQVI. So it could go either way. DQVIII is practically finished, so I don't think there's that much in the way of new text (aside from the new content).

DQVII is a "maybe", I think Treehouse did DQMJ2 and DQIX while 8-4 did DQVI. So it could go either way. DQVIII is practically finished, so I don't think there's that much in the way of new text (aside from the new content).

Thanks. I'll wait and hope everything turns out fine.

Someone just told me that Nintendo is taking care of the localization of Dragon Quest 7 and 8.

In a scale of:

To:

How high are the chances that Treehouse is translating it?

I have a feeling I'm going to have to play the PS2 version.

Who told you this? Someone with actual connections in NOA like Trev?

Treehouse will have its hands full just localizing DQ VII which is massive, aside from some elements exclusive to the 3DS game, why on earth would NOA bother spending additional money and resources re-localizing all of DQ VIII? NOA looks for any opportunity it can to *not* spend money on something, they're not going to re-localize DQ VIII, SE will surely be giving them the PS2 version script to use.

In any case, people overreacting to Treehouse inserting an occasional pun here and there (MC Hammer joke in the Japanese version of Link to the Past says hello) or making regional adjustments when needed is out of control. Skip either of these games if you don't want more DQ games in the west, I still can't believe we're getting them at all (especially DQ VII 3DS which is three years old now).

Camjo-Z

In any case, people overreacting to Treehouse inserting an occasional pun here and there (MC Hammer joke in the Japanese version of Link to the Past says hello) or making regional adjustments when needed is out of control.

If there's one thing that will truly spoil the integrity of a Dragon Quest game, it's puns.

If there's one thing that will truly spoil the integrity of a Dragon Quest game, it's puns.

Seriously, what else is Treehouse going to do that will make people mad? This stuff didn't become an issue until people freaked out over the Doge meme bit in Triforce Heroes, now everything they do gets blown out of proportion.

I started playing DQ Builders and I'm about 8 hours in. I'm impressed! It's a total Minecraft clone but they do some interesting things for the sake of convenience. Depending on how you want to play you can mostly ignore the heavy building side and just do basic stuff to go through the scenarios. Or you could go crazy and tear down whole structures in the game and use the material for elsewhere. I like how flexible it is in this regard. Currently I'm trying to spec / level up my first town just cause I want a really nice looking town.

The visual style of the characters kinda bugs me though. It looks like the people on box art of DW1+2 or Torneko: The Last Hope. I'm not sure how they ended up with that. Otherwise it looks really cool. I'm playing on Vita and the performance is also really good, waaaay better than Minecraft on Vita.

Dragon Quest games are light hearted, but could still maintain a straight face.

I'm okay with the occasional word play or whatever... but they've been going overboard. I think people over blow the fire emblem stuff.

There are legitimate complaints about the changes to dq though. They are truly changing the meaning, emotional and intention of nearly every scene in these games lately.
What is the point of changing perfectly fan names like reidock and elysian academy to bullshit like somnia and swinedimples.

Hassan to carver, more illegal to molly l, Barbara to ashlynn. These are all unnecessary changes.

Jucksalbe

Banned
If they mess with the Falrod scenario in DQ7, I'll be mad. Usually it doesn't bother me much, though. Loved the goofiness in the Dragon Quest Heroes localization.

lewisgone

Just caught up with the Direct news and was excited to see Dragon Quest VII get talked about, it's a shame we didn't get a release date though (in Europe). They footage they showed looked great, I can't wait to get a chance to finally play it.

For any weirdos like me who sometimes study or work to the symphonic suites of the Dragon Quest music, I made a compilation of the more relaxing stuff if anyone wanted to listen to it: here. You could sleep to it too, I guess.

Jucksalbe

Banned
It's great that soon many new people will get the chance to play DQ7 and form their own opinion that should be more complex than "that long-ass game". It's such a wonderful game, it deserves more appreciation.

Just caught up with the Direct news and was excited to see Dragon Quest VII get talked about, it's a shame we didn't get a release date though (in Europe). They footage they showed looked great, I can't wait to get a chance to finally play it.

For any weirdos like me who sometimes study or work to the symphonic suites of the Dragon Quest music, I made a compilation of the more relaxing stuff if anyone wanted to listen to it: here. You could sleep to it too, I guess.
I was sure they would show a release date at the end of the segment. Even a quarter. :(

Top Bottom