• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

So I noticed DQII, III, IV, and VIII are all 50% off on Google Play for some Cyber Weekend sale, for anyone interested. I already had the first two games in the series from a previous sale last year so I took the opportunity to grab III and IV. VIII is a decidedly less interesting proposition now that the 3DS port is confirmed for the West.

Speaking of mobile games, I just realized two days ago that Super Light is a thing so I installed it onto my phone and uh... wow. Literally the exact same interface, UI, and general premise as Puzzle and Dragons, that's just lazy. The gameplay is still classic DQM fare at least, although I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I hit the "fuck you grind or pay me" wall. But until then I'll enjoy it!

Amusingly this means that Dragon Quest 2 is temporarily cheaper than Dragon Quest 1. I'll definitely grab 2, debating on IV. I've played through it twice but I really do want to experience the party chat. 3 I think I'll leave for SNES, and 8...nah, PS2 and possibly 3DS version should be enough.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Didn't know if it was worth bumping the 7 & 8 thread but this was interesting:

Square Enix JP has now un-region locked the two game trailers for Dragon Quest VIII 3DS.

Trailer 1

Trailer 2

They were reposted elsewhere but this is pretty neat.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Haha, I guess they just didn't want you to feel sad when it wasn't yet announced for the West.
Really, though, region-locking your advertisement is a pretty strange thing to do. Glad they finally changed that.

Camjo-Z

New DQM3 screens on gematsu: http://gematsu.com/2015/11/dragon-quest-monsters-joker-3-details-hidden-secrets-reactor-ride-systems

Looking pretty good so far. Seems like they're adding a bunch of new field abilities. I'm curious if they've done anything to change the battle gameplay at all since the DQM2 remake.

The cel shading seems a bit strange but I'm sure it's the kind of thing that looks much better in motion than in screenshots. The riding mechanic sounds pretty cool too (fingers crossed that you can ride a knight riding a slime), I wonder if it has any use in combat beyond getting a free hit at the start.

The cel shading seems a bit strange but I'm sure it's the kind of thing that looks much better in motion than in screenshots. The riding mechanic sounds pretty cool too (fingers crossed that you can ride a knight riding a slime), I wonder if it has any use in combat beyond getting a free hit at the start.

Riding a slime stack already looks pretty ridic.

I've got the whole party together in Dragon Quest 2. I've had a couple false starts with this game on NES and SNES, but I'm wanting to finally finish the game for the first time with this Android version.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I have a question about Dragon Quest II. I am playing the iOS version and am in the final castle. But I can't figure out how to change it from its "fake" form to the real form so I can progress. Since Enix changes the names of every single item, person and place in every single translation they've ever made I can't find a FAQ with the proper item name of the item I need to do it. I have literally everything you can buy or find in the game that I can find and none of them do anything.

I need to beat it so I can move onto III!

KtSlime

I have a question about Dragon Quest II. I am playing the iOS version and am in the final castle. But I can't figure out how to change it from its "fake" form to the real form so I can progress. Since Enix changes the names of every single item, person and place in every single translation they've ever made I can't find a FAQ with the proper item name of the item I need to do it. I have literally everything you can buy or find in the game that I can find and none of them do anything.

I need to beat it so I can move onto III!

I don't think it is fair to blame SE, I suspect they have only done this most recent translation and the one before it were done by Nintendo.

Disclaimer: I have not played the game in English, so the translations are my own.

When you get to the castle it looks like your home, you need to use the 'Rubis Charm' it's the charm you received for getting all 5 signs that you are the heir of Loto in the Shrine of Spirits, a tiny island in the mid-eastern ocean of the map.

The other thing you will need for the end game, to get to Hagon is the 'Evil God Statue' use it on the cross in the middle of the castle.

Sorry I don't know what translations SE used, but my guess is they are closer to the original Japanese than the old Dragon Warrior games done by Nintendo.

Psxphile

I know it's not expensive but I got the rest on sale so I'm waiting for this to drop too. (I won't be playing it soon, I just want to have it for the future.)

I'm trying to be thrifty.

Oh, well... that's okay then! Might as well wait if you won't time for it just yet. Still though...

Oh, well... that's okay then! Might as well wait if you won't time for it just yet. Still though...
Many apps/games are just a buck or two, so saving even a bit it usually enough for another game. And I don't have my CC linked to my Apple account, (I use gift cards) so I try to make every penny count.

If I wanted to play it right now, I'd probably just buy it immediately, but I have way more than enough other games to keep me occupied.

I just did the quest in DQ2 where you
heal the Prince of his illness/curse
. I think I heard somewhere that this was actually added into the SNES and later versions and wasn't in the NES one. Is it a required quest in this game or could I have skipped it altogether? Is it possible to
leave him behind and finish the game with just the Hero and Princess?

Aeana

I always play each new DQM game, but DQM2 was the only one to hold my attention all the way through. DQMJ2 came close though.

I beat DQ2 over Thanksgiving break. The cave before the final boss technically wasn't as bad as I expected, but on the other hand I never did find the Thunder Sword or Erdrick's Armor. The "Road to Rhone (called a different name in the mobile version)" wasn't so bad either, although I could see the likely weaker parties in the NES version having MUCH more trouble thanks to Mr. "Fuck You, Sacrifice" guy. I still have yet to beat 3, 7, and 8 in some form or another (and technically 10? It's an MMO so can you really "beat it"?). I should try to tackle 3 next so all that's left is 7 and 8. I'll get 7 on 3DS for sure, but I may be frugal and stick with my pre-existing copy of 8.

norm9

Started playing DQIII on android. Pretty fun so far. I would have rather replayed I and I but apparently neither work correctly on some android phones. Oh well.

KiTA

So there was supposed to be an event on the 13th in Japan, any news on that? Or was that Jan 13th not Dec 13th?

hazukash

Just passing by to mention the family got a Liquid Metal Slime PS4 with a digital copy of Dragon Quest Heroes for Christmas. It's awesome. However, DQH is only a single-player game. What a bummer.

I got Dragon Quest Swords. It's pretty good when the motion recognition isn't awful. On-rails motion control sword slashing becomes more fun because you need to defend with a shield too. Apparently it's just 8 hours long so I'm about half done.

Just passing by to mention the family got a Liquid Metal Slime PS4 with a digital copy of Dragon Quest Heroes for Christmas. It's awesome. However, DQH is only a single-player game. What a bummer.
DQH2 will be multiplayer.

Dineren

Banned
I'm so disappointed, I had somehow convinced myself that VII & VIII were releasing for the 3DS in NA this week. Went to check my Amazon status only to discover it was actually 2016.

Since that is not happening I decided I'd like to pickup IV on IOS and replay it since my only experience with it was on the DS with no party chat. Is there any controller support? I know it's silly since a turn based rpg should be fine with a touch screen, but I hate having to cover the screen with controls and my hand while playing. I did some searching on google and this thread and couldn't find anything, but I thought I'd double check. Thanks!

Puruzi

Banned
DQH2 will be multiplayer.

Was coming in to say that even though I only played one Dragon Quest game(Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors) I ended up buying DQH and holy shit it's an awesome game.

Then I see that there'll be a sequel and it has multiplayer?

lDlxXCk.gif

Camjo-Z

I found a Dragon Quest I+II SNES cart with the English patch applied at a retro game store today and decided to get it. They had a translated Dragon Quest 3 cart too but I only had enough money to get one or the other, so I went with the one that cost slightly less. I have to admit, I kind of like this straightforward translation for the games better than the Ye Olde English that plagues the official versions.

Unfortunately the DQ2 patch is a bit buggy and I ended up accidentally erasing several hours of progress due to a glitch, but as long as I avoid doing that specific thing I should be good next time. DQ1 runs fine, so I'm going to replay that first. (Why am I playing these on a SNES when I have the improved mobile ports? Who knows!)

Demise

Is there any chance, rumours, whisper that dq8 with all the 3ds stuff could come to pc or ps4 ? It's one of my favorite game.

Tiu Neo

Is there any chance, rumours, whisper that dq8 with all the 3ds stuff could come to pc or ps4 ? It's one of my favorite game.

Rumor and Whisper? No.

Chance? Very, very small. Maybe as a PS2 classic on PS4, or maybe on PC as mobile port, since, iirc, DQVIII Mobile is made in Unity - but would still need some work to port. Anyway, I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

No, zero, zilch, nada. Just the fact we'll be getting DQ 7 3DS three years after the Japanese 3DS release is an unexpected miracle all by itself. If you want to play DQ 7 or 8 on anything other than mobile and support more DQ in the west, then you'd better consider getting 3DS at some point if you haven't already (especially if you want "the 3DS stuff").

Demise

No, zero, zilch, nada. Just the fact we'll be getting DQ 7 3DS three years after the Japanese 3DS release is an unexpected miracle all by itself. If you want to play DQ 7 or 8 on anything other than mobile and support more DQ in the west, then you'd better consider getting 3DS at some point if you haven't already (especially if you want "the 3DS stuff").

And playing at this wonderful game in sub 480p, with huge aliasing, poor textures and 20 fps ? No thanks, i'd rather play the PS2 on emulation.

God why Square Enix... A DQ8 with all the 3DS great additions on 1440p/144fps released on steam would be GREAT.

I mean, all it would take is ten person working on it for 5 months to port in PC right ? That's far from impossible to funds through kick starter or something.

What is the best in DQ8 ? Japanese voices or English voices ?

Psxphile

What is the best in DQ8 ? Japanese voices or English voices ?

People say Yangus's JP va doesn't fit/is ill-matched/just plain don't like it. Which sounds about right, NA Yangus is a gift from the Goddess.

I understand they used different VA for the Euro localization? What was that Yangus like, I wonder?

People say Yangus's JP va doesn't fit/is ill-matched/just plain don't like it. Which sounds about right, NA Yangus is a gift from the Goddess.

I understand they used different VA for the Euro localization? What was that Yangus like, I wonder?
Ricky Grover's performance was used in both regions.

Cheerilee

God why Square Enix... A DQ8 with all the 3DS great additions on 1440p/144fps released on steam would be GREAT.

I mean, all it would take is ten person working on it for 5 months to port in PC right ? That's far from impossible to funds through kick starter or something.

Japanese publishers and Steam: Two steps forward, one step backwards ?

GhostTrick said:
Lets take Square-Enix for exemple with the recent release of Lightning Returns. FFXIII and XIII-2 got barebone ports. Basically, it felt like they just released the base game and called it a day. Very few graphical options if any, and resolution lock at launch and of course, an horrible frame pacing. With Lightning Returns, they offer PC exclusive graphical effects, such as better lighting or DoF. But they also offered a better framerate with better frame pacing. What was the catch this time ? Resolution is locked. Previous games weren't. I mean, what's wrong with them ? Can't they have some consistency in their decisions ? :eek:

But it's not only about that, they recently released Dragon Quest Heroes on Steam... they announced it 7 weeks after the PS4, out of nowhere, because of a leak/mistake then just dumped it on Steam. Couldn't they at least announce this a lot earlier ? What's the point of just dumping a game somewhere without even announcing it before hand ?
chaosblade said:
So basically, they don't give a damn and are just releasing some quick and dirty ports for some extra revenue.

And playing at this wonderful game in sub 480p, with huge aliasing, poor textures and 20 fps ? No thanks, i'd rather play the PS2 on emulation.

shrug Ok? Then I guess you might as well stick to PS2/emulation if quibbles about resolution on a portable are that big of a deal to you. Based on Cheerilee's post, SE isn't putting much effort into their Steam ports. Aeana has played both DQ 7&8 on 3DS and has posted extensively on them. She says the exclusive features, additions and high speed modes are well worth it, for what it's worth. What's worse, playing on a 3DS with resolution compromised but with added features or playing them on PS2 emulator or mobile with little or no added gameplay features? That's how I'm gauging my purchase decision for them, they'll be day one on 3DS for me but to each their own.

Demise

shrug Ok? Then I guess you might as well stick to PS2/emulation if quibbles about resolution on a portable are that big of a deal to you. Based on Cheerilee's post, SE isn't putting much effort into their Steam ports. Aeana has played both DQ 7&8 on 3DS and has posted extensively on them. She says the exclusive features, additions and high speed modes are well worth it, for what it's worth. What's worse, playing on a 3DS with resolution compromised but with added features or playing them on PS2 emulator or mobile with little or no added gameplay features? That's how I'm gauging my purchase decision for them, they'll be day one on 3DS for me but to each their own.

I don't doubt a SECOND that the 3DS features are great. If anything they exactly fit what I would have done with the game if I was to remaster it. The I know the game by heart and with the first kingdom hearts, it's my most beloved game. I'm saying this because I know that, to me, this game deserve to be played on a big screen with a high resolution. This game is about a great and long journey, great modelisation... I can't play this game on a small screen with poor settings, it would't feel the same and as a high-end pc player, I need certain conditions to enjoy certain games. I have nothing against portable console, I spend hours on my vita, it's just that to me, some games have to be played on great settings, on great conditions. I have no problem playing Fez or Super meat boy on portable, but a game like dq8, i'd rather not.

The best of the two worlds will be a pc port with all the 3ds additional features. I'd gladly pay the full price for it.

^^^^

I hear ya, just saying what you're wanting in this case isn't likely to happen so why not accept that and take advantage of all the awesome stuff the 3DS versions will offer (there's also the possibility at least some of the additional features/content may be Nintendo exclusive)? And if what you're wanting does happen at some point you can always sell 'em later.

Demise

^^^^

I hear ya, just saying what you're wanting in this case isn't likely to happen so why not accept that and take advantage of all the awesome stuff the 3DS versions will offer (there's also the possibility at least some of the additional features/content may be Nintendo exclusive)? And if what you're wanting does happen at some point you can always sell 'em later.

Oh yes, if a remaster is not annouced by next year, I'll certainly pick a 3DS with DQ8. But I'll write a letter at Square Enix Headquarter to tell them how much I will like to see a port and all before, we never know, I heard they listen a lot to their EU audiences when adressed directly and properly.

KtSlime

Who would buy this remaster (aside a couple of ardent fans in the west)? I think everyone who wanted to play an updated version of 8 already got it on the 3DS. If there is any hope of an HD remaster I recommend everyone buying like 50 copies of 8 on 3ds whenever it makes it to the west, cause if it and 7 barely makes a dent I'm sure SE is going to use that to reaffirm the argument that Dragon Quest doesn't have a western market.

Psxphile

Regardless, even if they had PC ports of VIIr and/or VIII in the pipeline they'd be mad to announce it before the 3DS versions hit western markets. NoA would certainly consider it a dick move.

mjc

So I took the dive and paid a pretty penny for the DS versions of IV, V, and VI..I can't wait to give them a shot. Way back when IV came out I did play a bit of it when I borrowed it from a friend, but I didn't get to finish it. V is still regarded as the best of the three, right?

Psxphile

So I took the dive and paid a pretty penny for the DS versions of IV, V, and VI..I can't wait to give them a shot. Way back when IV came out I did play a bit of it when I borrowed it from a friend, but I didn't get to finish it. V is still regarded as the best of the three, right?

Of the three DS remakes? Oh, definitely. Followed closely by IV and then VI, imo.

Top Bottom