• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes |OT| - The World Tree's Woe and Some Heroes We Know

Labadal

Gameseek shipped my copy yesterday. I hope I get it on Monday.

I hope this does well. I really want the sequel, too.

nikos

Any tips on character builds? Not sure which attribute each character needs the most of. Only have the first four characters so far.

hamchan

I don't think I can go back to just playing standard Dynasty Warriors if Omega Force keep nailing their spin-offs like this.

CRLKOOHUEAADWTD.png:orig
AAAAAH

wish the camera was pulled back just a bit.

yeah teh fov is kinda small

johnsmith

remember me
AAAAH. I can't wait. I've been waiting for this to come out for ages. Taking Wednesday-Friday off from work so I can play this nonstop.

Really enjoying this so far.
Only complaint is that the camera is a little bit too close.

So camera complaints seem to be consistent. No way to pull it back in options? Maybe they can patch it in if enough noise is made, if people keep bringing it up, it must be jarring.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they patch it in. They patched out the motion blur in Type-0 HD because enough people complained. I assume that putting in an option to zoom the camera out can't take that much work.

So camera complaints seem to be consistent. No way to pull it back in options? Maybe they can patch it in if enough noise is made, if people keep bringing it up, it must be jarring.

Maaaaaan, it's hard for a Musou game to keep my interest for more than a couple hours, but this just looks so amazing. So much Dragon Quest nostalgia rendered so faithfully. Alright, if I get this then Square has to bring the 3DS games plus DQ11 to America right? Good, cause I had to get it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
My only complaint is the "classic" DQ save system that makes you read through all that scroll, which makes you instinctively jam on all the buttons to make the scroll go faster so you can just save the game, then it asks if it's ok to overwrite the file and defaults the cursor on "no" so you always accidentally press no and have to go through the whole ridiculous multi line slow scroll again.

Uggghggghh

My only complaint is the "classic" DQ save system that makes you read through all that scroll, which makes you instinctively jam on all the buttons to make the scroll go faster so you can just save the game, then it asks if it's ok to overwrite the file and defaults the cursor on "no" so you always accidentally press no and have to go through the whole ridiculous multi line slow scroll again.

Uggghggghh

you can hold down on the analog or dpad to skip through it a little faster

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Anymore impressions pls?

I'm finally to a part where I can give more solid impressions. It's 1 a.m. here, so excuse me if I babble. I'm sure tomorrow I'll have more concrete impressions, but hopefully this should give you a good idea of what to expect.

So, they weren't kidding when they said this wasn't a musou. It's more like an action RPG, right down to the party system. You fight a lot of monsters at once, but how you deal with them is far different than DW.

In DW, you wade through troops, and you do that here as well, but dodging and blocking are your defensive options instead of using moves as a get-a-way van. So basically, iframes for your moves are low, so spamming them isn't always the best idea. Instead, you wanna block and weave out of the way just like a normal action game.

In terms of moveset, it does follow the musou layout, but it acts different. Like, you can immediately spring into a jump after a move with no wait. It's fast, fluid, and enjoyable as hell. I'll go more into it later, but the system here is steeped in RPG styled things - critical hits matter, you can buff your characters, etc.

Levels are short, but in a good way. You spend your time either clearing a map of enemies or doing a tower defense style game. Sometimes you fight a boss. If you hate tower defense stuff, don't worry, it's done very well in this title. You place down monsters to defend areas after you've beaten them senseless, and they actually hold the opposition back fairly well.

Each character has a normal attack, a charge attack, MP/spell attacks, and can enter tension mode, which is basically Rage from DW games, But instead of just giving you a buff, some flashly lights, and an a mega musou attack, you can choose to chain spells together, which is far more effective than just ending it outright.

Oh, and you can switch between characters, though I don't think it's a comboing method but rather just switching in general, if that makes sense (some beat'em ups and action games let you tag in your other character to finish a combo for you).

Every character has a skill tree. Some are more proficient at things than others, so I set Dorian as my tank and the main guy as my attack dude. Their skill tree compliments their specialty while still letting you customize them. Basically, you can make a specialized party, just like an RPG.

Characters, for the most part, play differently. Dorian can buff people with tension stuff, the main guy is more of a close range fighter with his spells, and the main girl is more about midrange. One of the characters actually has a boomerang that you can either call back or keep out for more hits.

It's no samurai warriors level of depth, but it's deep enough to survive long periods of play.

Inbetween missions, you go back to town to save, reallocate skill points if you want, buy or sell weapons, and mess with alchemy.

Graphically, it's pretty good. Some parts are pretty PS3 but the artstyle holds up well. Plus everything is well animated. There are some drops here and there, but nothing that made me want to put the game down.

Really, this feels like an action RPG version of Dragon Quest. As a game, it's pretty incredible.

Hopefully this all helps.

ChrisDM

I'm finally to a part where I can give more solid impressions. It's 1 a.m. here, so excuse me if I babble. I'm sure tomorrow I'll have more concrete impressions, but hopefully this should give you a good idea of what to expect.

So, they weren't kidding when they said this wasn't a musou. It's more like an action RPG, right down to the party system. You fight a lot of monsters at once, but how you deal with them is far different than DW.

In DW, you wade through troops, and you do that here as well, but dodging and blocking are your defensive options instead of using moves as a get-a-way van. So basically, iframes for your moves are low, so spamming them isn't always the best idea. Instead, you wanna block and weave out of the way just like a normal action game.

In terms of moveset, it does follow the musou layout, but it acts different. Like, you can immediately spring into a jump after a move with no wait. It's fast, fluid, and enjoyable as hell. I'll go more into it later, but the system here is steeped in RPG styled things - critical hits matter, you can buff your characters, etc.

Levels are short, but in a good way. You spend your time either clearing a map of enemies or doing a tower defense style game. Sometimes you fight a boss. If you hate tower defense stuff, don't worry, it's done very well in this title. You place down monsters to defend areas after you've beaten them senseless, and they actually hold the opposition back fairly well.

Each character has a normal attack, a charge attack, MP/spell attacks, and can enter tension mode, which is basically Rage from DW games, But instead of just giving you a buff, some flashly lights, and an a mega musou attack, you can choose to chain spells together, which is far more effective than just ending it outright.

Oh, and you can switch between characters, though I don't think it's a comboing method but rather just switching in general, if that makes sense (some beat'em ups and action games let you tag in your other character to finish a combo for you).

Every character has a skill tree. Some are more proficient at things than others, so I set Dorian as my tank and the main guy as my attack dude. Their skill tree compliments their specialty while still letting you customize them. Basically, you can make a specialized party, just like an RPG.

Characters, for the most part, play differently. Dorian can buff people with tension stuff, the main guy is more of a close range fighter with his spells, and the main girl is more about midrange. One of the characters actually has a boomerang that you can either call back or keep out for more hits.

It's no samurai warriors level of depth, but it's deep enough to survive long periods of play.

Inbetween missions, you go back to town to save, reallocate skill points if you want, buy or sell weapons, and mess with alchemy.

Graphically, it's pretty good. Some parts are pretty PS3 but the artstyle holds up well. Plus everything is well animated. There are some drops here and there, but nothing that made me want to put the game down.

Really, this feels like an action RPG version of Dragon Quest. As a game, it's pretty incredible.

Amazing post dude. Makes me definitely in on buying this later today. Thanks for taking your time to write this!

crinale

FYI camera distance automatically changes when facing bosses.
And as for runnnig speed, it is limited to as is for the purpose. That is, you will get pernalized on some missions for miss-locaing yourself (that sometimes may cost the entire mission).

Edit: Oh, and about blocking.. yes you may be able to beat the story without mastering it but I still recommend you to do so, especially parrying
for post story missions

Stalk

My copy dispatched from Gameseek yesterday... I think... Their dispatch emails are weird. Really hyped for this ever since I played it at Gamescom. Won the t shirt from that event :D this is looking to be my game of the month and probably my unexpected one of the year.

Thoraxes

Not picking this up at launch, but when I get my two weeks off in December i'll be picking it up at a discounted price.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
FYI camera distance automatically changes when facing bosses.
And as for runnnig speed, it is limited to as is for the purpose. That is, you will get pernalized on some missions for miss-locaing yourself (that sometimes may cost the entire mission).

Edit: Oh, and about blocking.. yes you may be able to beat the story without mastering it but I still recommend you to do so, especially parrying
for post story missions

I dont even remember blocking when I was playing through the JP one lol.

Vex_

Banned

Thanks broheim. Buuuuutt one last thing:

You say it isn't as deep as SW??? I'm playing sw4-II right now.... Is that the game you are comparing it too? If so, I am REALLY worried right now. Because sw4-2 isn't what I would call deep at all in the first place. :/

Thanks again.

Impulsor

I have the collector's edition preorered in one place and the day one edition in anothe rplace. DO not know what to do. Will be getting this for sure. Just don't know which one.

B-Dex

Thanks broheim. Buuuuutt one last thing:

You say it isn't as deep as SW??? I'm playing sw4-II right now.... Is that the game you are comparing it too? If so, I am REALLY worried right now. Because sw4-2 isn't what I would call deep at all in the first place. :/

Thanks again.

There are two attack buttons and then each character has skills. Basically like SW4 but no hyper attacks instead you get skills.

Vex_

Banned
There are two attack buttons and then each character has skills. Basically like SW4 but no hyper attacks instead you get skills.

I mean as far as progression. Not combat. I can deal with that. But sw4-2 is literally... Just stages in story mode, and a free mode which is just story mode with a chance to use your created character.

It is a shallow experience. I remember liking the empires games a long time ago, but sw4 2 has none of that. Just.... Stages. No strategy. They literally tell you where to go on the map. You do it. Done. Next stage.

I'm asking if DQH is like that.

Amazing post dude. Makes me definitely in on buying this later today. Thanks for taking your time to write this!

No problem.

I mean as far as progression. Not combat. I can deal with that. But sw4-2 is literally... Just stages in story mode, and a free mode which is just story mode with a chance to use your created character.

It is a shallow experience. I remember liking the empires games a long time ago, but sw4 2 has none of that. Just.... Stages. No strategy. They literally tell you where to go on the map. You do it. Done. Next stage.

Nah, it ain't like that. SW is a beat'em up game more focused on doing straight missions and then being done with it. DQ is more about placement of your character, because you can lose the mission by just randomly throwing shit down.

Content wise, there's a lot more. You fight in the fields, against bosses, or tower defense, all while upgrading your character with new equipment and skills. Levels have different forms of interactivity.

Stargypsy

A patch came out about an hour after the game went live.
It opened up some sharing options and some text fixes.

Version 1.01
Minor text changes.
Additional online video services have been made available for use with the share feature.

B-Dex

No this is basically a full fledged rpg. Big epic story, world map etc... Crafting.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Really excited for this one. I love both Dragon Quest and Musou games so this should be perfect for me (even if it's not a real Musou game). Plus it's been so long since we last got a new DQ game.
Too bad Europe has to wait until Friday, but then again a few days delay is basically instantly for a European release.

Kouriozan

Nobody tried to see if drops are picked automatically at the end of each stages?
I remember finding this super late in other games that would otherwise made the game more enjoyable.
Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom