• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes |OT| - The World Tree's Woe and Some Heroes We Know

Shahed

Since the UK release is on Friday, I figured the wait would be annoying as anything. But I just got a message of my sister saying it got delivered just before. Now I need to wait till I get home. First Dragon Quest since IX and finally on a console again!

shmoglish

How is it not an rpg? It's an action rpg full stop.

I think you can compare this game to Trinity Souls of Zill o Ill (or so, and I am sure DQ is the better game by a mile). Quick Action, some quests, crafting and skills. Not to deep, but at east a few typical RPG things inside.

Dark_castle

I'm finally to a part where I can give more solid impressions. It's 1 a.m. here, so excuse me if I babble. I'm sure tomorrow I'll have more concrete impressions, but hopefully this should give you a good idea of what to expect.

So, they weren't kidding when they said this wasn't a musou. It's more like an action RPG, right down to the party system. You fight a lot of monsters at once, but how you deal with them is far different than DW.

In DW, you wade through troops, and you do that here as well, but dodging and blocking are your defensive options instead of using moves as a get-a-way van. So basically, iframes for your moves are low, so spamming them isn't always the best idea. Instead, you wanna block and weave out of the way just like a normal action game.

In terms of moveset, it does follow the musou layout, but it acts different. Like, you can immediately spring into a jump after a move with no wait. It's fast, fluid, and enjoyable as hell. I'll go more into it later, but the system here is steeped in RPG styled things - critical hits matter, you can buff your characters, etc.

Levels are short, but in a good way. You spend your time either clearing a map of enemies or doing a tower defense style game. Sometimes you fight a boss. If you hate tower defense stuff, don't worry, it's done very well in this title. You place down monsters to defend areas after you've beaten them senseless, and they actually hold the opposition back fairly well.

Each character has a normal attack, a charge attack, MP/spell attacks, and can enter tension mode, which is basically Rage from DW games, But instead of just giving you a buff, some flashly lights, and an a mega musou attack, you can choose to chain spells together, which is far more effective than just ending it outright.

Oh, and you can switch between characters, though I don't think it's a comboing method but rather just switching in general, if that makes sense (some beat'em ups and action games let you tag in your other character to finish a combo for you).

Every character has a skill tree. Some are more proficient at things than others, so I set Dorian as my tank and the main guy as my attack dude. Their skill tree compliments their specialty while still letting you customize them. Basically, you can make a specialized party, just like an RPG.

Characters, for the most part, play differently. Dorian can buff people with tension stuff, the main guy is more of a close range fighter with his spells, and the main girl is more about midrange. One of the characters actually has a boomerang that you can either call back or keep out for more hits.

It's no samurai warriors level of depth, but it's deep enough to survive long periods of play.

Inbetween missions, you go back to town to save, reallocate skill points if you want, buy or sell weapons, and mess with alchemy.

Graphically, it's pretty good. Some parts are pretty PS3 but the artstyle holds up well. Plus everything is well animated. There are some drops here and there, but nothing that made me want to put the game down.

Really, this feels like an action RPG version of Dragon Quest. As a game, it's pretty incredible.

Hopefully this all helps.

Thanks for the impression.

『Inaba Resident』;181452912 said:
Really enjoying this so far.
Only complaint is that the camera is a little bit too close.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they patch it in. They patched out the motion blur in Type-0 HD because enough people complained. I assume that putting in an option to zoom the camera out can't take that much work.

This game is a year old. If they didn't patch it before the western release and/or for Japan I wouldn't hold my breath for Square to patch this for us.

The very short intro stuff I got to play before work was a terrible idea. Now I'm just at work jonesing to play.

Hard to believe it's been 14 years since the last time I played a DQ game on a Playstation console.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
There's seriously no multiplayer? I'm still going to get it but I'm really disappointed..

Thats been known even before the Japanese version came out.

Thankfully the second title, they said are working on having 4 player MP in it. So you folks in the West better pray that this one sells well enough for SQEX to bring out the 2nd game also.

God dammit, they still gave Alena and Clift idiotic broken-English kinda racist Russian accents again, didn't they? And voiced them this time?

I still want to pick this up, but I was hoping saner heads would prevail for this one. Does anyone like what they did with the Saintheim folks in DQ4DS and beyond?

Shahed

I like what I've played so far. Just wish there was a way to make voice come feom the TV ane not the controller. Makes the poor DS4 battery life even worse. Healix is so annoying as well. Moogle syndrome all over again. Fine to look at and read, but their voices...

Do I need to pick up all the money bags or are they added automatically?

God dammit, they still gave Alena and Clift idiotic broken-English kinda racist Russian accents again, didn't they? And voiced them this time?

I still want to pick this up, but I was hoping saner heads would prevail for this one. Does anyone like what they did with the Saintheim folks in DQ4DS and beyond?

I know I sure don't. I much preferred the DW4 translation on NES to any of the new ones, and the fan translation of DQ6. The puns are fine, but the faux accents drive me crazy.

Arkeband

Banned
There's seriously no multiplayer? I'm still going to get it but I'm really disappointed..

Didn't multiplayer tank the framerate and make the game too easy in Hyrule Warriors?

I don't really see the benefit multiplayer would have here.

I know I sure don't. I much preferred the DW4 translation on NES to any of the new ones, and the fan translation of DQ6. The puns are fine, but the faux accents drive me crazy.

I feel the same way - though I think even the puns are kind of unnecessary. The world of DQ is already inherently goofy, you're being torn to shreds by smiling, happy monsters. But the core identity of DQ was the juxtaposition between this and the urgency to save the world. The story was always very serious in the face of the absurd elements you'd face. I think ramping it all up to farcical levels kills the tongue-in-cheek nature of the games, and its tone, and replaces it with something else entirely,

Just start playing , like the english VA more than the Japanese which normally don't happen .
Gameplay is fast and fun but it still early days still i having having fun .

Kouriozan

Didn't multiplayer tank the framerate and make the game too easy in Hyrule Warriors?

Actually, it's a bit harder since it shows less monsters = more difficult to get A rank medal for total K.O., plus some maps where you need X00 KOs before the other team.
The sequel will have co-op but not local, so no fear about that FPS :)

played a bit more last night. go up to team switching.

also when can i use the preorder DLC stuff? i redeemed but don't see it in my inventory?

I'm not too far in the game, i just got alena and kiryl, but if i had to describe how this isn't a musou

I would say that this game is more "defensive" as in you have to defend objectives more often than just what a typical person might think of a musou is which i imagine is just to mash everyone to death and fight a "boss" like that
that isn't to say that there isn't like a clear all the enemies stages though, cause there are quite a few of those

edit: aside from jaggies, the game is quite aesthetically pleasing to me, has a "clean" stylish look if that makes any sense

nikos

Does anyone know if any Twitch, or YouTube Gaming, rules are being violated by streaming this via an external device?

I imported this last February. It was really fun :) Here are some screenshots i took.

CAFzhYqWEAAy-59.jpg

B_sbIuLWwAEVtGw.jpg

Does anyone know if any Twitch, or YouTube Gaming, rules are being violated by streaming this via an external device?

I could be wrong, but I think they've got some language that specifically prohibits streaming via any method other than the built in one on PS4. Of course, someone's got to challenge that silly bullshit, so go for it.

Begaria

I got through the tutorial section last night before I had to stop and head to bed. Really enjoyed what little I've played so far. As a huge Dragon Quest fan, all of the little Dragon Quest dingles, visuals, music, and mechanics combined with the flair of Omega's kinds of games is just so delightful. I wouldn't mind other companies approaching Omega and doing all kinds of these games. We've got Hyrule Warriors. We now have Dragon Quest Heroes. I'd love to see a Final Fantasy, or even a Wild ARMs version of these kinds of games.

I'm finally to a part where I can give more solid impressions. It's 1 a.m. here, so excuse me if I babble. I'm sure tomorrow I'll have more concrete impressions, but hopefully this should give you a good idea of what to expect.

So, they weren't kidding when they said this wasn't a musou. It's more like an action RPG, right down to the party system. You fight a lot of monsters at once, but how you deal with them is far different than DW.

In DW, you wade through troops, and you do that here as well, but dodging and blocking are your defensive options instead of using moves as a get-a-way van. So basically, iframes for your moves are low, so spamming them isn't always the best idea. Instead, you wanna block and weave out of the way just like a normal action game.

In terms of moveset, it does follow the musou layout, but it acts different. Like, you can immediately spring into a jump after a move with no wait. It's fast, fluid, and enjoyable as hell. I'll go more into it later, but the system here is steeped in RPG styled things - critical hits matter, you can buff your characters, etc.

Levels are short, but in a good way. You spend your time either clearing a map of enemies or doing a tower defense style game. Sometimes you fight a boss. If you hate tower defense stuff, don't worry, it's done very well in this title. You place down monsters to defend areas after you've beaten them senseless, and they actually hold the opposition back fairly well.

Each character has a normal attack, a charge attack, MP/spell attacks, and can enter tension mode, which is basically Rage from DW games, But instead of just giving you a buff, some flashly lights, and an a mega musou attack, you can choose to chain spells together, which is far more effective than just ending it outright.

Oh, and you can switch between characters, though I don't think it's a comboing method but rather just switching in general, if that makes sense (some beat'em ups and action games let you tag in your other character to finish a combo for you).

Every character has a skill tree. Some are more proficient at things than others, so I set Dorian as my tank and the main guy as my attack dude. Their skill tree compliments their specialty while still letting you customize them. Basically, you can make a specialized party, just like an RPG.

Characters, for the most part, play differently. Dorian can buff people with tension stuff, the main guy is more of a close range fighter with his spells, and the main girl is more about midrange. One of the characters actually has a boomerang that you can either call back or keep out for more hits.

It's no samurai warriors level of depth, but it's deep enough to survive long periods of play.

Inbetween missions, you go back to town to save, reallocate skill points if you want, buy or sell weapons, and mess with alchemy.

Graphically, it's pretty good. Some parts are pretty PS3 but the artstyle holds up well. Plus everything is well animated. There are some drops here and there, but nothing that made me want to put the game down.

Really, this feels like an action RPG version of Dragon Quest. As a game, it's pretty incredible.

Hopefully this all helps.

I can confirm this and agree 100%.

Sadly, had to send back the Debug Console before I could reach the End Boss. Maybe 2 or 3 Missions were left.

Edit: I'm a little bit disappointed when it comes to the OT .. Game is so full of Colours and wonderful (CGI)-Scenes. I miss something here. :b

raven777

I like what I've played so far. Just wish there was a way to make voice come feom the TV ane not the controller. Makes the poor DS4 battery life even worse. Healix is so annoying as well. Moogle syndrome all over again. Fine to look at and read, but their voices...

Do I need to pick up all the money bags or are they added automatically?

You can turn off the DS4 speaker function.(Not from the game, but from PS4 system) That's what I did.

Cmagus

My collectors edition just arrived and this is the first time I didn't get hit with border fees today is gonna be a good day :)

Do we want to discuss just how egregious their streaming rules are for this game?

Look at this (straight from the site, also available to read on the menu):

Players may share the DQH Content in through the following methods:

PlayStation®4 share feature
Use of DQH Content is allowed for personal use only through the online services available with the PlayStaion®4 share feature.
The share feature may be unavailable for certain Content and game areas as designated by Square Enix.
Streaming of gameplay video
Streaming (for example, including posting a link of the URL to the streaming video or posting a thumbnail of the video for personal use on personal blogs and miniblogs such as Twitter) of gameplay video (including the in-game BGM) on video share sites available through the use of the PlayStation®4 share feature is allowed.
Such video share sites may include but are not limited to YouTube, niconico and Ustream.
Streaming is limited to video share sites that have a consent agreement in place with the Japanese Society for Rights of Authors, Composers [JASRAC]).
The share feature may be unavailable for certain Content and game areas as designated by Square Enix.
Conditions of Use
You must include credits
Clearly show the following copyright information on all postings and distributions:

© 2015 ARMOR PROJECT/BIRD STUDIO/KOEI TECMO GAMES/ SQUARE ENIX All Rights Reserved.
© SUGIYAMA KOBO

※This info will be automatically included when using the PlayStation®4 share feature under a future game update. Until then, please include the information into the materials manually.
Do not create derivative materials using the DQH Content.
For example, do not use the DQH Content to create brochures, T-shirts, other images. This applies whether you intend to distribute the DQH derivative materials for free or for sale.
Do not post the DQH Content onto sites or services that require others to pay a fee to browse / stream. An exception to this is the niconico premium service.
Do not post any DQH Content or materials that may lead to the abuse of a specifc user.
All content, including images or videos, must be removed without delay upon receiving a removal request from Square Enix. Furthermore, Square Enix may delete any videos or streams in its sole discretion.
Square Enix makes no warranty or representations regarding the DQH Content. Square Enix expressly disclaims that any such images or videos posted on the Internet will not violate any third party rights. Furthermore, Square Enix is not responsible for any disputes or conflicts that arise between any player and 3rd party from the use of the DQH Content.

I'm not a streamer, so this doesn't really do anything to me, but it seems like grossly overstepping the traditional position on this stuff. Hell, you literally can't stream this thing on Twitch at all.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm not a streamer, so this doesn't really do anything to me, but it seems like grossly overstepping the traditional position on this stuff. Hell, you literally can't stream this thing on Twitch at all.

In my opinion the creators of the content deserve to have a say in whether they want someone else profiting by showing it at length. You can debate whether or not the "PR" provided by youtubers and streamers accrue to the benefit of the publisher, but I think they deserve to have a say in it.

I think people generally have a warped view on stuff like this only when it pertains to streaming and youtubers. In any other sector, making profits, sometimes big profits, by displaying someone else's content is considered abnormal, but when it comes to video games and streamers/youtubers, it's the opposite.

In my opinion the creators of the content deserve to have a say in whether they want someone else profiting by showing it at length. You can debate whether or not the "PR" provided by youtubers and streamers accrue to the benefit of the publisher, but I think they deserve to have a say in it.

I think people generally have a warped view on stuff like this only when it pertains to streaming and youtubers. In any other sector, making profits, sometimes big profits, by displaying someone else's content is considered abnormal, but when it comes to video games and streamers/youtubers, it's the opposite.

I find myself in the opposite camp, generally. I don't think they should have any say whatsoever when it comes to this stuff, and that the only reasonable requirement is to give credit where it's due. The fact that YouTube, Twitch, et al. choose to ignore the legal aspects of this stuff and just acquiesce immediately to any IP holder without addressing "fair use" also bothers me tremendously.

nikos

From what I understand, we can only share content captured via the PS4's share functionality.

Am I right to assume we can't use an external device even if the copyright information is shown, or am I not understanding that correctly?

EDIT: It's not listed on Twitch's list of prohibited games, so I don't think it would result in a ban. If any complication arises, it would be with Square Enix. Unless there's something in Twitch's ToS that coincides with DQH's literature.

Jobbs

Banned
I find myself in the opposite camp, generally. I don't think they should have any say whatsoever when it comes to this stuff, and that the only reasonable requirement is to give credit where it's due. The fact that YouTube, Twitch, et al. choose to ignore the legal aspects of this stuff and just acquiesce immediately to any IP holder without addressing "fair use" also bothers me tremendously.

Does fair use cover showing the entirety of someone's work, beginning to end? Honest question.

What about commentary free play throughs, which exist? Is that still fair use?

crinale

I've posted at the first page but SE doesn't own all rights about music.

Does fair use cover showing the entirety of someone's work, beginning to end? Honest question.

What about commentary free play throughs, which exist? Is that still fair use?

I don't think "fair use" is ever intended to let you show a work beginning to end. My understanding of it is that you should be adding something substantive, which could include commentary, in order for it to be fair use. But that's a complicated legal term, and my understanding is that none of the big streaming sites care about fair use as much as they care about cooperating with the wishes of IP holders in any dispute without regard to legality.

B-Dex

From what I understand, we can only share content captured via the PS4's share functionality.

Am I right to assume we can't use an external device even if the copyright information is shown, or am I not understanding that correctly?

EDIT: It's not listed on Twitch's list of prohibited games, so I don't think it would result in a ban. If any complication arises, it would be with Square Enix. Unless there's something in Twitch's ToS that coincides with DQH's literature.

It says if you use the PS4 share feature the copyright info is added automatically otherwise you must manually add it. People are streaming this on twitch still through a capture card just fine. It's just another case of silly Japanese copyright messing up streaming. That's why no one streams Musou games cause it will be muted and have no sound or voices. Pretty ridiculous.

Arkeband

Banned
I was looking for the OST on YouTube, but it seems like either no one's cared to upload it since its original Japanese release, or S-E is very diligent about taking them down.

Yep, they are

Is that the same in Hyrule Warriors? I'm pretty sure I had to run around picking things up at the end of the stage or I'd lose them. If they get auto-picked at the end, what's the point of picking them up during the stage?

crinale

I was looking for the OST on YouTube, but it seems like either no one's cared to upload it since its original Japanese release, or S-E is very diligent about taking them down.

Is that the same in Hyrule Warriors? I'm pretty sure I had to run around picking things up at the end of the stage or I'd lose them. If they get auto-picked at the end, what's the point of picking them up during the stage?

I think the reason is more like 98% of tunes are from Dragon Quests (1 - 9) so that OST is everywhere in youtube. The usage of old tunes everywhere makes you smile if you can remember where they came from.

I think the reason is more like 98% of tunes are from Dragon Quests (1 - 10) so that OST is everywhere in youtube. The usage of old tunes everywhere makes you smile if you can remember where they came from.

Yeah, I'm really glad they went this route, given the game's obvious intent to appeal to fans. I'd be sad if it was mostly new music that didn't have all that nostalgia behind it.

crinale

The grind is real for some of these quest items.

I never know whether SE changed drop rates for item loots, but as I remember some quests I got stuck within Japanese version I'd recommend you to move on, to find better enemies to drop desired item.
Or don't let quest message fool you.

Top Bottom