• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Mastperf

Okay, I gotta be doing something wrong, or moving too fast.

The road to the Witchwood was full of hard as fuck bandits, depleting my curing items. I'm level 11/12 I think.
Nope, that's pretty much the main hump you need to get over before the difficulty/skill ratio evens out. That part had me on the verge of quitting since I assumed that it was a sign that the rest of the game would be a constant struggle. It won't be long before you're walking through that area crushing those bandits with ease.

Nemesis_

Nope, that's pretty much the main hump you need to get over before the difficulty/skill ratio evens out. That part had me on the verge of quitting since I assumed that it was a sign that the rest of the game would be a constant struggle. It won't be long before you're walking through that area crushing those bandits with ease.

This is true, if you go back a few pages you'll see I had the exact same problem.

Now I'm RUINING EVERYONE

=D

Mastperf

This is true, if you go back a few pages you'll see I had the exact same problem.

Now I'm RUINING EVERYONE

=D
It feels good to go from being terrified of seeing a boss level enemy off in the distance to actively hunting them at night. This game nails the weakling to badass transformation expertly.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Best way to snag the Ur-Dragon achievement?

I'm not really digging the post-game so much and just want to wrap up the achievements. I hear you can fight an offline version somewhere. Any clue on how best to just get this cheevo?

Brandon F

I have been Everfalling for ages now, starting to feel way overpowered at like Lvl 58, and yet I get nothing but total shit for loot. No cool armour, nothing. Just shit. Fuck you Everfall.

My feeling as well. Spent about 4 hours last night doing this and am finding no incentive to keep at it. The chest drops have such small percentages to give anything worthwhile and I am already way too OP for most fights as is.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Best way to snag the Ur-Dragon achievement?

I'm not really digging the post-game so much and just want to wrap up the achievements. I hear you can fight an offline version somewhere. Any clue on how best to just get this cheevo?
Just disable online connectivity in the options menu and fight it. Offline one is pretty weak.

Noaloha

My theory on why Pawns permanently tend towards becoming more talkative has to do with the idea that your actions in-game influence their AI. Using down on the d-pad urges them towards Guardian (yuk), left on the d-pad towards Medicant/Nexus (whichever), and etc for other actions like picking up everything in sight, focusing on enemy mages and so on -- the Pawns tend toward following the instructions you use and the examples you set.

If that's the case then I know there's been *plenty* of times that I've been picking up loot and the Pawns'll come dashing up close, rubbing themselves against my side like hungry, flea-ridden stray cats and, instead of pressing B to pick up, I'll instead find that I've just pressed B to hear yet another riveting nugget of fresh fortune cookie wisdom.

In short, if you talk to your Pawns, even accidentally, they'll begin to believe that you simply can't get enough of their endless supply of insightful commentary.

Anteater

In short, if you talk to your Pawns, even accidentally, they'll begin to believe that you simply can't get enough of their endless supply of insightful commentary.

hmm, maybe that's the case, I like talking to my pawns.

I guess it might be time to switch to mage and burn some shit down

So how short is that window where the online Ur Dragon is actually killable? I hopped on just then and the game gave me some crappy loot for my effort towards it's death but then when I went back in a second time it was Gen 71 and had almost eleven (!!!) full health bars.

So has there been any mention from Capcom about new area DLC?

Not yet.

My theory on why Pawns permanently tend towards becoming more talkative has to do with the idea that your actions in-game influence their AI. Using down on the d-pad urges them towards Guardian (yuk), left on the d-pad towards Medicant/Nexus (whichever), and etc for other actions like picking up everything in sight, focusing on enemy mages and so on -- the Pawns tend toward following the instructions you use and the examples you set.

If that's the case then I know there's been *plenty* of times that I've been picking up loot and the Pawns'll come dashing up close, rubbing themselves against my side like hungry, flea-ridden stray cats and, instead of pressing B to pick up, I'll instead find that I've just pressed B to hear yet another riveting nugget of fresh fortune cookie wisdom.

I've noticed that being in a certain area will always trigger the same statement from a Pawn. When you leave the front gates of Gran Soren, one of your Pawns will always say something like, "A good way to start an adventure is by talking with others, let's start with that".

So how short is that window where the online Ur Dragon is actually killable? I hopped on just then and the game gave me some crappy loot for my effort towards it's death but then when I went back in a second time it was Gen 71 and had almost eleven (!!!) full health bars.

I think it's a 20 minute grace period.

Okay, I gotta be doing something wrong, or moving too fast.

The road to the Witchwood was full of hard as fuck bandits, depleting my curing items. I'm level 11/12 I think.

Seriously those are hard as fuck ... the first time i tried to get to witchwood i still had "rook" and then i lost pitifully ... i didn't kill them until my lv 20 ( with a totally different party ) a shame that i couldn't go to witch wood and lost the first quest related to that area...

Noaloha

Just logging into the game now and I'm met with,

-------------------------------------

(13 June 2012 Update!)

Japanese television channel "Space Shower TV" presents a special pawn that bears an uncanny resemblance to their MC for "Space Shower Area", Saito JxJxJun!

Be sure to check out "SPACESHOWER_area" in the Rift!

-------------------------------------

Well, okay.

I'm currently caught between disconcertingly confused and quietly curious.

Unai

So, I'll start playing this game today. I like to be a mage in most RPGs. Anything I should know before start playing it?

Dresden

So, I'll start playing this game today. I like to be a mage in most RPGs. Anything I should know before start playing it?

A big fighter pawn will help. Magic is great. Remember that out of all the elements, fire is the most important for much of the game.

Something I keep forgetting to ask about: what's the deal with the Henri de Régnier quote at the start of the game? "The delightful and always novel pleasure of a useless occupation."

Machine

I have been Everfalling for ages now, starting to feel way overpowered at like Lvl 58, and yet I get nothing but total shit for loot. No cool armour, nothing. Just shit. Fuck you Everfall.

Earlier in the thread, someone stated that you get better drops in Everfall if you are carrying the Drake's Tear, Wyrm's Tear and Wyvern's Tear items. In my experience, this is seems to be true.

EDIT: Maybe they just cause more wakestones to drop? I did notice a LOT more wakestones when I carried them.

Earlier in the thread, someone stated that you get better drops in Everfall if you are carrying the Drake's Tear, Wyrm's Tear and Wyvern's Tear items. In my experience, this is seems to be true.

:O

Still learning something new about this game. I'll be sure to keep that in mind on my 360 playthrough.

Ok, but is there a way to get other items dragon forged?

You have a ~10% or so chance to get your items (things you, the player, has equipped on your main character) from killing Drakes, Wyrms, or Wyverns. Drakes are the only ones that can be found during the main story.

You have a 100% chances from the story dragon.

You have a ~10% or so chance to get your items (things you, the player, has equipped on your main character) from killing Drakes, Wyrms, or Wyverns. Drakes are the only ones that can be found during the main story.

You have a 100% chances from the story dragon.
The 10% is only if your items have been upgraded to level 3. Unupgraded items can't be dragonforged by wandering dragons at all.

Brandon F

The 10% is only if your items have been upgraded to level 3. Unupgraded items can't be dragonforged by wandering dragons at all.

I just had my daggers upgraded to dragonforged by a wandering dragon last night outside of Gran Soren. They were only at 1-star. Hmmm....

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
I just had my daggers upgraded to dragonforged by a wandering dragon last night outside of Gran Soren. They were only at 1-star. Hmmm....

According to some chart I've seen, there's a 2% chance if it's only one *. I think I've had it happen to me once, too.

ezekial45

Banned
Thanks for the answer, guys. It seems like the post-game is the real meat of the game. I'm checking out areas I didn't know even existed.

I went into Witchwood for the first time, and the
darker atmosphere of the post-game
gave it an even creepier vibe.

Dave1988

Which doesn't make his statement untrue. At level 1 you have a 2% chance of an item to become Dragonforged, level 2 is somewhere around 6-8%, and level 3 is a whopping 18% chance. The offline Ur-Dragon has a 30% chance to Dragonforge a level 3 item for you (don't remember what the percentages are for level 1 and 2). Online Ur-Dragon and Grigori will always Dragonforge your equipped weapons and armor regardless of their level. Roaming dragons will never Dragonforge an item that hasn't been upgraded to at least a level 1.

I was exploring outside the southern waycastle by night and...I fell into a hole in the world.

DragonsDogmaScreenshot_2-1.jpg

When first I fell into the loose texture I was accompanied by a magnificent beam of light.

DragonsDogmaScreenshot-1.jpg

Am I falling up or down?

DragonsDogmaScreenshot_3-1.jpg

The sun rises on the opposite side of the cosmos.

I kept falling until the screen faded and I landed on my feet back in front of the waycastle, unharmed. I think this loose texture is always there. You can tell you're close when your character stumbles a little while walking, as though on the edge of a precipice.

Sword Familiar

I was exploring outside the southern waycastle by night and...I fell into a hole in the world.

When first I fell into the loose texture I was accompanied by a magnificent beam of light.

Am I falling up or down?

The sun rises on the opposite side of the cosmos.

I kept falling until the screen faded and I landed on my feet back in front of the waycastle, unharmed. I think this loose texture is always there. You can tell you're close when your character stumbles a little while walking, as though on the edge of a precipice.

That's a pretty cool bug. Care to show us where it is?

That's a pretty cool bug. Care to show us where it is?

I'll post screens of the location when I get home. For now, know that it's at the crossroads between the southern waycastle (the one with the riftstone between the encampment and Gran Soren) and the unpaved path that leads towards a goblin camp (the one with the small cave with minerals in it) and eventually towards Water God's Altar.

Does that make sense? If you walk around that area, you should stumble a little. When you do that, simply walk forward and you should fall. I did it repeatedly.

So I have gone the Magic Archer route and have a high magic attribute with a pretty shitty strength one.

Does Mystic Knight rely on magic? I really enjoy MA but am looking for a change. I'm also assuming Assassin is strength-based?

So I have gone the Magic Archer route and have a high magic attribute with a pretty shitty strength one.

Does Mystic Knight rely on magic? I really enjoy MA but am looking for a change. I'm also assuming Assassin is strength-based?
Maybe I'm missing something, but enchanted weapons seem to add on to your base Magick power, which suggests that all classes benefit from having a high magic attribute.

sublimit

Banned
Why would you want that?

I want a pawn that puts above all the safety of my other two pawns (a healer and a sorcerer) because when i'm fighting the biggest monsters i want another one to cover the rest of them from secondary enemies.My healer has a guardian and nexus inclination and my sorcerer is an acquisitor and something else.
If i find a good ranger/strider with Nexus inclination i'll have a pretty balanced party where all of my team members will be covering each other perfectly without me (fighter) constantly looking for their safety.

Sword Familiar

I'll post screens of the location when I get home. For now, know that it's at the crossroads between the southern waycastle (the one with the riftstone between the encampment and Gran Soren) and the unpaved path that leads towards a goblin camp (the one with the small cave with minerals in it) and eventually towards Water God's Altar.

Does that make sense? If you walk around that area, you should stumble a little. When you do that, simply walk forward and you should fall. I did it repeatedly.

I'm in that vicinity right now, actually. I'll try looking for it after I've saved.

So there's a second Everfall only instead of dragons it's just space? Did you defeat the sun? How much xp? Any sweet loot??

I fell past the suspended ocean as well, where even the Brine fear to dwell. If some greater evil awaits in Gransys' underworld, I have yet to face it.

I've actually had the little "stumble" animation all over Gransys - makes me think there could be multiple holes, maybe with different features or destinations.

Sword Familiar

I fell past the suspended ocean as well, where even the Brine fear to dwell. If some greater evil awaits in Gransys' underworld, I have yet to face it.

I've actually had the little "stumble" animation all over Gransys - makes me think there could be multiple holes, maybe with different features or destinations.

I am very intrigued. If I find it (gonna go look now), I'll definitely help you look for possible others.

EDIT: Maybe they just cause more wakestones to drop? I did notice a LOT more wakestones when I carried them.

i don't know about wakestones, but i'm pretty sure that i got a different equipment loot table in EF when i took the set of tears out of my warehouse.

I am very intrigued. If I find it (gonna go look now), I'll definitely help you look for possible others.

I have a very vague idea of where another could be, for any who are up for some aimless searching. I had a "stumble" travelling east from the Ancient Quarry on a straight path towards Gran Soren's south gate. If you align yourself directly in such a fashion, you may find it. I've never fallen into that one before, though. Could have just tripped over a tiny hillock.

Top Bottom