• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What impresses me the most about DD is that this is Capcom's first attempt at this sort of game. Quite an achievement if you compare it to something like Skyrim which has years upon years of technical and creative work head-start, and a massive staff/budget to boot.

Of course there's room for improvement going forward, but its one hell of a series opener.

Torraz

Anything I can do to make my pawn more desirable for other players to summon?

Stats:
level 18
storebought gear
6 star fighter
sword and board

inclinations:
Scather/Mitigator

I think he performs very well at tanking, crowd controlling and taking out enemies, but I only got one message that he helped another player and I'm only at around 200 RC (not having spent a single one).

Should I change his vocation to something else like a warrior? Any good skills there? I read something about a downward stroke?

edgefusion

Anything I can do to make my pawn more desirable for other players to summon?

Stats:
level 18
storebought gear
6 star fighter
sword and board

inclinations:
Scather/Mitigator

I think he performs very well at tanking, crowd controlling and taking out enemies, but I only got one message that he helped another player and I'm only at around 200 RC (not having spent a single one).

Should I change his vocation to something else like a warrior? Any good skills there? I read something about a downward stroke?

I found your problem.

sublimit

Banned
i clearned the game. this is like the best game ever. i don't think we'll get anything better this year.

now on to gather the remaining trophies. i can't believe i've been playing this game so long already.

Yep.I haven't beaten the game yet but it's easily my GOTY so far regardless of its flaws.I can see myself putting at least more than 300 hours on it.

Is it bad that I killed the bandit guys who stole the grimoire? Was I supposed to do something else? I mean he told me that I needed to use steel to get it...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Is it bad that I killed the bandit guys who stole the grimoire? Was I supposed to do something else? I mean he told me that I needed to use steel to get it...

You're fine. The grimoire is
on top of the tower in that castle. You'll have to do some climbing to get to it

maomaoIYP

Some could be the game created pawns too. Most of those I've seen wearing stuff that's dlc or locked so far.

I'm pretty sure dragonforged rings aren't possible. Also I always check them for the creators, I've seen level infinity dudes who have 4 hrs of play time.

sublimit

Banned

The only problem is that you'll be missing a quest from them. Unless they respawn later.I've heard that all killed npcs respawn after some time.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
No way to change gender right? Except for restarting?...

Wasn't there this one time potion?

There's an infinite item later on that can be bought with 10000 RC. It's in the first encampment. A yellow/blue dressed old man standing by the rift stone has it. He also sells the one-time shot earlier on if you're desperate.

Can someone tell me if I have this right? Concerning the post-game:

There's no real rhyme or reason to the different levels in the Everfall, is there? I've been doing them from the top down and I have two more floors to go, though once I've done them there isn't anything stopping me from repeating them, right? It seems like that whole area is basically a way to get nice loot and Wakestones for that last quest. And speaking of that last quest...

Is the 20 wakestone quest the trigger for the real end to the game? Should I only do it once I've finished everything else up or can I keep playing afterwards?

eXistor

Can someone tell me if I have this right? Concerning the post-game:

Is the 20 wakestone quest the trigger for the real end to the game? Should I only do it once I've finished everything else up or can I keep playing afterwards?
yes it triggers the real end, but after that you have the option of beginning your NG+

What impresses me the most about DD is that this is Capcom's first attempt at this sort of game. Quite an achievement if you compare it to something like Skyrim which has years upon years of technical and creative work head-start, and a massive staff/budget to boot.

Of course there's room for improvement going forward, but its one hell of a series opener.

granted, they've incorporated all kinds of existing open-world elements, but, yes, as a first effort, the end result is a game that the developers should be very proud of. as many've noted, much more the feel of a genuine adventure than the activity-type experience most others more closely resemble...

not to mention, the pawn system's just plain awesome :) ...

Torraz

Well, never going to get to 5000 RC to change my pawn at this rate... 283 at level 18...

Guess I'll have to restart although im not looking forward to fighting that damn ogre again in the everfall thingy. Got so lucky and pushed it off the edge....

Are all pawns, if they are female, equally desirable or do casters, for example healers, get preferred above others? I was thinking of going with a fighter/warrior again, but i guess ill go with a healer if those are more desired...

Sword Familiar

Guess I'll have to restart although im not looking forward to fighting that damn ogre again in the everfall thingy. Got so lucky and pushed it off the edge....

Yeah, it seems to do that pretty frequently. There's a quest to defeat two ogres and I tried defeating it underleveled, but got "lucky" since it decided to suicide jump both times. I say "lucky" because it meant I didn't get any drops, but it didn't matter that much in the end.

Well, never going to get to 5000 RC to change my pawn at this rate... 283 at level 18...

Are all pawns, if they are female, equally desirable or do casters, for example healers, get preferred above others? I was thinking of going with a fighter/warrior again, but i guess ill go with a healer if those are more desired...

what are you afraid of? my pawn has been a fighter most of the time, and she's getting hired only once every three days. RC will come naturally over time. you can even loot it from corpses.

nataku

I wish this game had a way to hide the entire UI except when fighting. I've been playing this game way too much, over 70 hours, and not nearly as much other content in between.

Damn you, plasma. You look so good, but seeing that health bar on my screen on solid colors worries me. I don't think it's burned in, but still. I guess I could play zoomed in...

EDIT: And apparently you can shut off the health bars completely. I honestly had no idea. I thought I looked for that. I might just do that then.

RPGCrazied

So starting to play more of this, been playing nothing about D3 for weeks. I love how the first chimera in the game you can take, then I get rushed by one with goblins in a forest and it one shots me. lol.

I don't think the game expected you to fight that ogre, but you often don't have a choice.

The best ogre advice I can give is that arrow bundle skills work well on his face.

sublimit

Banned
One of the things i don't understand is what are the criteria for the amount of RC my pawn returns with.Does it have to do with the amount of time she spends in another player's world?by the completion of quests?
For example if she returns with around 300 RC does it mean that she wasn't much helpful?

Dresden

One of the things i don't understand is what are the criteria for the amount of RC my pawn returns with.Does it have to do with the amount of time she spends in another player's world?by the completion of quests?
For example if she returns with around 300 RC does it mean that she wasn't much helpful?

Usually when it's like 300 RC your pawn was never rented out at all, it's just a random bone the game likes to toss at you (presumably for the sake of offline players).

Sword Familiar

I think most of the time when someone actually hires a pawn they do it close to their own level, too, making the RCs aquired pretty meager. Not sure if that's how it works though. I've only gotten a "huge" amount of RC once (20k+), and I assume that person's main character was way under my pawn's level.

Still, you can check how many times your main pawn has been hired in the Adventure Log under "History" in the menu. Mine's only really been hired 5 times. Sad, because she really kicks ass.

Machine

Last night I decided to stop messing around in post-game and move on to NG+ so I could try out the three professions I skipped the first time around (mage, sorcerer and mystic archer) and take care of the few missions I missed. Time to set up my network of port crystals and get to work.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I've made a bunch of characters on various game saves... and my pawns always make a crap ton of RC. Every time. Even before I hit gran soren I have 100,000+ RC.

You need to make them look awesome. And they need to have decent gear for the early level. Even if it's just early gear, upgrade it, and make sure it looks cool. Also, try your best to make a smart pawn whose behavior fits their roll. If you have a strider, they need to attack ranged targets first. That's what people want. And people also want pawns who pick up everything and anything. Unless a player has sinew, they are always worrying about their encumbrance, and not wanting to pick up wolf pelts and ore or whatever. If your pawn takes 5 mins to pick shit up, or mine an ore vein, they will drop you like a brick and find one that will.

So, to get RC: Cool looking, stylish pawn and good behavior. You will rake in the RC. If you want a shit-ton of RC, consider throwing your main off a cliff and killing them (after you have recruited other pawns, if you're not looking to solo) and then level up without your main. You can get to gran soren, buy a bunch of awesome shit and then stick it on your low-lvl pawn. Bring them back, sleep at an inn, and the people who are lvl 1 or 2 will be seeing your awesome pawn when they go to the rift. They'll recruit and keep them for a while and you'll get tons of RC.

Sword Familiar

So, to get RC: Cool looking, stylish pawn and good behavior. You will rake in the RC. If you want a shit-ton of RC, consider throwing your main off a cliff and killing them (after you have recruited other pawns, if you're not looking to solo) and then level up without your main. You can get to gran soren, buy a bunch of awesome shit and then stick it on your low-lvl pawn. Bring them back, sleep at an inn, and the people who are lvl 1 or 2 will be seeing your awesome pawn when they go to the rift. They'll recruit and keep them for a while and you'll get tons of RC.

Good advice there. Smart.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
My Pawn hasn't got much work since I switched her from a mage to a sorcerer. I'm guessing people see her guardian status as a sorcerer and lol, I would. But you can't change the primary tactic. Maybe I will switch her back to a mage.

My Pawn hasn't got much work since I switched her from a mage to a sorcerer. I'm guessing people see her guardian status as a sorcerer and lol, I would. But you can't change the primary tactic. Maybe I will switch her back to a mage.

If you use two of the inclination potions it will change the first inclination.

Evolved1

Good advice there. Smart.

And there just happens to be a nice, high cliff outside of the encampment. Next to a graveyard haha... if you toss the pawn into the water they will disappear, having been consumed by the blight, or whatever those water things are called. Just chucking them off a cliff onto the ground, you will hear them call out in anguish until leaving the area. And I feel kind of bad hearing the pawn I just tried to murder apologize and say again and again how it was their fault.

Makes me feel dirty. :(

So yeah... throw them into the ocean. haha

Arcteryx

I've made a bunch of characters on various game saves... and my pawns always make a crap ton of RC. Every time. Even before I hit gran soren I have 100,000+ RC.

You need to make them look awesome. And they need to have decent gear for the early level. Even if it's just early gear, upgrade it, and make sure it looks cool. Also, try your best to make a smart pawn whose behavior fits their roll. If you have a strider, they need to attack ranged targets first. That's what people want. And people also want pawns who pick up everything and anything. Unless a player has sinew, they are always worrying about their encumbrance, and not wanting to pick up wolf pelts and ore or whatever. If your pawn takes 5 mins to pick shit up, or mine an ore vein, they will drop you like a brick and find one that will.

Yep, the key thing for me has been keeping the inclinations up to date. Make sure you aren't leaving them on guardian if you are switching from fighter to ranger etc.

That said, I have seen a pretty sharp drop-off in my pawn being hired post lvl ~50. It's pretty rare to have her hired anymore :(. I think the last time was last week :|
Prior to that I was seeing upwards of 5-10 hirings a day(my history shows 173 total hires).

As for pawns picking stuff up: if I see a pawn with that inclination(pathfinder or whatever), I don't even think about hiring them. That shit is BEYOND annoying. They often don't fight and instead just run around picking stuff up mid-battle.

Ricker

How do you send 2 or more gifts to someone's pawn once you release them..last time I could only send 1 but I swear someone sent me 2 gifts when they released mine...I been playing with this great female Pawn Mage called Funkadelica(sporting a cool orange affro hehe) for like 5 levels now and want to send more then one gift to them...

Personally, I'm the opposite. I tend to boot pawns who are too item-crazy -- especially in postgame when I'm trying to reset chests with bad loot. I want pawns that kick ass, not pick flowers in the midst of combat.

Arcteryx

The pawns will naturally pick stuff up if you aren't constantly spamming the run button, so it's kind of pointless to use that inclination IMO.

Personally, I'm the opposite. I tend to boot pawns who are too item-crazy -- especially in postgame when I'm trying to reset chests with bad loot. I want pawns that kick ass, not pick flowers in the midst of combat.
haha yep, that will make you rip hair out quickly

Sword Familiar

I also hate it when they pick up my stuff. I've had a couple of pawns get petrified/destroyed after picking up loot I wanted. I was a bit scared at first, but luckily I could get it all back by re-loading my game.

Arcteryx

My pawn is getting talkative no matter how much I used the magical chair

I think she's becoming self aware

Yea it seems that they don't stick with those changes for very long. I've probably set mine to "shut up" a dozen times already and sure enough a couple hours later she's back to chatting like normal.

Evolved1

I'm talking about early game... that seems to have been what people are asking about...

UrbanRats

Gimme the name i'll summon your pawn (even though i'm double its level) i'll bring him around a bit, doing easier quests.
Don't restart just cause it's not a female pawn, man.

gdt

Okay, I gotta be doing something wrong, or moving too fast.

The road to the Witchwood was full of hard as fuck bandits, depleting my curing items. I'm level 11/12 I think.

UrbanRats

The road to the Witchwood was full of hard as fuck bandits, depleting my curing items. I'm level 11/12 I think.

Those are some though motherfuckers at the start.
Try to cheap them away from afar (if you're a bow based class) separating them or try to level up a bit before.
The hard ones are the ones with the shields, but the rangers are also very dangerous and should be taken out first, i think.
I was a Strider there and i had to abuse Ensnare + bow from a distance, to get past them.

Dave1988

I have two questions:

1. Can anybody tell me what the quest located between "Lost Faith" and "Deep Trouble" is called? It's found in the main pawn's quest knowledge tab. For some reason, it appear I still haven't done this quest which seems strange to me since I already have "The Hero" trophy done.

2. The second question is for those who have access to the full set of 100 "From a Different Sky" quests: Does gathering all of the badges of vows reward you with anything special?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I have been Everfalling for ages now, starting to feel way overpowered at like Lvl 58, and yet I get nothing but total shit for loot. No cool armour, nothing. Just shit. Fuck you Everfall.

Bandits are tough as nails for a long while.

What made them easier for me is adapting skills to fight against them. There's certain Strider skills that make them basically trivial.

Top Bottom