• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

I really stink at this game. The main quest in gran soren I was dying like no tomorrow. The quest I'm referring to is the one
where you go under the pawn guild and down the tower, their is a huge troll and when you get to the bottom all these worm like things come out of the ground. After many tries, I managed to escape with my crew intact.

Then I decided to head out to the next main objective, it was nighttime and got my ass handed to me over and over again. I'm lvl 15/16? Maybe I should do some sidequests. Problem is their no fast travel and some of these quests gives me zero indication of where to go or what to do.

If my pawns die do I loose them forever? What skills do you recommend for a fighter/warrior?

I started playing this a few days ago too.

Do the quests for Maximillian. I started them at around the same level as you and once I got done with the last one I was level 30. There are the request board quests at the inn if you're in need of a bit of cash.

As for the pawns, your main pawn requires you to hit a rift stone, they return to you automatically. The others you'll need to rehire. The rate at which you out level them early on means you'll probably just replace them.

Anteater

hmm, just ran through the west side of the map real quick on my lvl75 character with my pawn, at lvl75 the mobs can still put up a fight due to increased damage, got hit a few times by the first chimera and I almost ran out of health but they die quick if you fight them right due to having beefy gears at that level. Fought through the 2 chimeras and the cyclops.

Goblins are still a bit weak but not very bad when they're in a crowd. Enemy placements are still the same at the beginning of the game, don't know if they'll change or not, I somehow doubt it.

Will probably start a new game and see how it goes, but I would assume playing a new game+ at least wouldn't really be as boring as it used to, and enemies will probably do a lot of damage from scratch.

You do get a shitload of money from mobs, got like 10k gold from each goblin, I guess it might be their way of making the beginning easier.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Hard mode seems kind of nice, now that I've started a new game in it. It's kind of extreme, with a lot of *bonk* YOU ARE DEAD moments, and the amount of gold it gives you is a bit overboard, but it seems preferable to playing on normal so far.

Tons of experience doled out, too. I'm going to have to hurl my pawn off a cliff soon if I want to be able to engage in some ruthless min-max munchkining. I'm not even going to bother being a hopeless stat degenerate on my arisen. I'm not even sure it's possible to gain the ability to change classes without surpassing level 10 on hard.

ixix

If they ain't fixed his AI I figure the first ogre fight will go pretty much the same way it's always gone for me before. He'll go "Nurfle rawr! Me hit!" and then hurl himself over the edge to a splattery death many stories below.

Poor bipolar ogre. Truly there are none who can understand your pain.

I've noticed with a few armour pieces that, despite being the right class for my main pawn, don't show up in his equip menu

What's up with that?

nvm, didn't realize I had to actually give him the items

If you use an alternate save device it's essential a from scratch game file.
Yup. The cloud save system on the 360 is an easy peasy second save slot.
If they ain't fixed his AI I figure the first ogre fight will go pretty much the same way it's always gone for me before. He'll go "Nurfle rawr! Me hit!" and then hurl himself over the edge to a splattery death many stories below.

Poor bipolar ogre. Truly there are none who can understand your pain.
That's not an AI bug, it's the one of the best and subtlest cutscenes ever.

Sanctuary

So I finally pick this game up, and am greeted with an annonying problem right off of the start. I'm just going to copy someone else's post on the same thing, because their situation is exactly the same as mine.

The problem I have is easily reproduced, it happens every time: I boot up my 360, connect to Xbox Live. No problems. I load up Dragon's Dogma, select my storage device (HDD) and choose to Load my game. At this point the usual checking downloadable content message appear then disappear. The game then pops up a emssage saying that I need to be connected to Xbox Live to share online data. At this point I am now disconnected from Xbox Live. There has been no message pop-up from the 360 itself saying connection dropped or any message at all about any problems up until this point.

If I try and connect to Xbox Live using the Guide menu I get an error message from the 360 that says I have lost connection and do I want to test the connection. If I say no and try and connect again, the same scenario repeats. If I choose to test the connection, I am returned to the dashboard to the test connection screen and all aspects of my connection to Live are displayed as 'Connected'. I return to the main area of the dashboard, my friends online alert pops up and we're back to square one. If I load up Dragon's Dogma again the same scenario repeats unless I choose not to play in 'Online mode'.

Once in the game after choosing to play in offline mode. if I go in to the options and switch to 'Online' and 'Share with anyone' for my pawn sharing, I can save my options preferences, return to the game and there is protest from the game that I'm not connected. I am however still not connect to Live as if I press the guide button I still have the option to connect.

I have the game installed to the HDD and have just over 7gb free on my 60gb HDD. My 360 is the version before the Slim, a 'Jasper' chipset model. I can play any of my other games online, most recently Mass Effect 3 without any issues. My internet connection is a stable 19mb with Sky and I am using the router they provide. my 360 is connected via an ethernet cable to the router and is located less than a metre away from it, the cable is not overly coiled for the distance.

Any ideas?

Fighting that first ogre is going to be fucked.

Assuming it doesn't throw itself off the walkway like it always does.

Hard mode seems kind of nice, now that I've started a new game in it. It's kind of extreme, with a lot of *bonk* YOU ARE DEAD moments, and the amount of gold it gives you is a bit overboard, but it seems preferable to playing on normal so far.

Tons of experience doled out, too. I'm going to have to hurl my pawn off a cliff soon if I want to be able to engage in some ruthless min-max munchkining. I'm not even going to bother being a hopeless stat degenerate on my arisen. I'm not even sure it's possible to gain the ability to change classes without surpassing level 10 on hard.
This sounds nice. I don't actually want the goblins to be able to kill me - Hobgoblins and Grimgoblins, sure - but not the tiny green guys. Not sure how I feel about the massive amount of gold. Do you feel like it makes the game easier?

ixix

This sounds nice. I don't actually want the goblins to be able to kill me - Hobgoblins and Grimgoblins, sure - but not the tiny green guys. Not sure how I feel about the massive amount of gold. Do you feel like it makes the game easier?

I guess in a very broad sense it makes the game easier, but store-bought equipment isn't so remarkable that having ready access to it the moment it becomes available is going to make a huge dent in the difficulty. Buying out Caxton every time he updates his inventory probably ain't going to make bandits stop one-shotting me every time they decide to channel their inner Dante and show off their mad Stinger skillz. For the most part it's really just kind of funny watching wolves routinely drop giant sacks of 10,000 gold. When Madeleine asked me to give her some money all of an hour into the game the gold display popped up and informed me that I was sitting on 35,000 pieces of the stuff.

Yeah Mads, I think I might be able to spot you a bit of dosh.

That's not an AI bug, it's the one of the best and subtlest cutscenes ever.

Truly, if Dragon's Dogma is anything, it is a shining pillar of subtlety and refinement.

deim0s

Probably going hard mode w/o actually starting a fresh new game is not a good idea after all.

:/

Mercedes: Hydra!

*cuts neck with one swipe!*

Mercedes: You really did this!?

Arisen: Oh please! I'm wielding the DD sword right here!

ixix

Without its nuanced teachings, we might've never known how wolves hunt.

Now that they're all loaded maybe they oughtta share the wealth and hook the Duke up with some new roads. They could build some tollbooths and set up a revenue-sharing agreement with ol' Edmun. Put that money to work instead of stowing it under their mattresses.

Wolves hunt in LLCs!

Pakkidis

So I finally pick this game up, and am greeted with an annonying problem right off of the start. I'm just going to copy someone else's post on the same thing, because their situation is exactly the same as mine.

Any ideas?

My only thing I can possibly think of is freeing up more space on the HDD and see if that does anything.

ixix

so, how hard is the hard mode?

I want to know before I try >_>

Not really all that bad, honestly. As long as you're careful to conserve your Stamina and let your pawns do most of the work in the early going you'll be fine. I started off as a Fighter and my actual combat participation for quite a while consisted entirely of of Blink Striking an enemy, slashing them once or twice, then standing with my back to an obstacle with my shield up. Doing much else can easily get you killed when most of the enemies can off you in three hits tops. Even rats and bats can be fatal, amusingly enough.

It also looks like there are a fair number of low-level pawns with end-game gear that you can hire if it's too much for you. Presumably people transferring equipment from their main account to a fresh one. You could probably just hire a couple of them and spend the rest of the game watching AI Battle Theater, honestly.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So if I use my clear save file to start a new game on Hard Mode, will I still technically be in New Game Plus? I'd like to be able to remake my character/pawn with the NG+ exclusive items that allow it before I set off.

ixix

So choosing Hard Mode starts you from the beginning at level 1, but with all your items? No option to just turn on hard mode and continue where I am?

If you start hard mode from an existing save you have to start the game over, but you retain all of your levels and items. It's basically a New Game+, but with the increased difficulty. You can also start a completely new game on hard, and it's just like starting any other new game. Level 1, no items, et cetera.

If you want to start a fresh game on hard you'll need to either delete your current save or use a different account on the console, same as if you wanted to start a new game on normal mode.

So if I use my clear save file to start a new game on Hard Mode, will I still technically be in New Game Plus? I'd like to be able to remake my character/pawn with the NG+ exclusive items that allow it before I set off.

I'm not entirely sure about this, actually. I dabbled with my old NG+ save on hard for a bit before starting fresh, and it was in a weird sort of NG+ limbo. The
stone that lets you fight the Ur Dragon in Cassardis
was there, but Johnathan wasn't selling anything but his basic items. None of the NG+ exclusive items were for sale. I didn't go far enough to see if the same was true of the Gran Soren shops.

Mesoian

Downloaded a trial for adventurers and the patch on xbox.

There's now a "hard" selection in the difficulty option boxes from the in-game option menu. If you select it, it says picking hard mode restarts you at the beginning of the story but with everything from your current save file intact. Also says enemies drop a lot more gold in hard mode, and do more damage. Your stamina drains faster too.

Don't know yet if the patch adjusts enemy locations or addresses any other bugs or issues in the game.

Speed Run mode is launched separately from the extras menu before loading your game. It says it uses your current save file to launch a speed run session.

Fucking awesome. I wanna play hardmode but I started new game plus and abandoned it because I got bored.

Now where's that expansion pack with a plot line that will hopefully be well written
hahaha who am I kidding, it's capcom

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm not entirely sure about this, actually. I dabbled with my old NG+ save on hard for a bit before starting fresh, and it was in a weird sort of NG+ limbo. The
stone that lets you fight the Ur Dragon in Cassardis
was there, but Johnathan wasn't selling anything but his basic items. None of the NG+ exclusive items were for sale. I didn't go far enough to see if the same was true of the Gran Soren shops.

Hm...so I guess I should load up my NG+ save, remake my characters, then start Hard Mode? Seems like that would work, no?

ixix

Hm...so I guess I should load up my NG+ save, remake my characters, then start Hard Mode? Seems like that would work, no?

Yeah, that should work. Though if all you want to do is change your Arisen and pawn's appearance it'll give you a chance to edit them when you start over. You'll get to make changes to your Arisen as soon as the game starts and to your pawn as soon as you reach the encampment. But if you want to remake them more often it couldn't hurt to go and buy the item for that from Johnathan before you start hard mode.

ixix

Ogres that don't kill themselves are serious jerks. Making the trek from Gran Soren to Greatwall on hard at level 15 is grueling. Cyclopes are still pretty easy, on account of it not really mattering that they can kill you in one hit when they're totally unable to ever hit you in the first place.

Did they ever release more clothes for the game? That was one element I found slightly lacking.

There's apparently some new clothing included with the hard mode download that you unlock by playing through hard mode and speedrun mode. There's also all those individual DLC packs that have tons of equipment, but I don't really know what exactly is in them.

Sanctuary

About four hours into the game so far, and I have to say that it definitely has a dichotomy in game design happening. Many of the design choices feel downright pedestrian, while others are as good as some of the best out there. It's actually kind of infuriating; because if it was all so terrible, it would make it easy enough to quit playing rather than suffering through all of the nonsense just for the good parts.

What the hell is up with the usage of "aught"? They seem to use it to replace the word something, yet it doesn't mean something, it means anything. Saying "I might have something to help you" makes sense, while saying "I might have anything to help you" does not.

What is up with the text box too? It's literally four times larger than it needs to be, because most NPCs only say one sentence, two at most and they talk like some kind of phrase dispenser rather than actual people.

Anteater

The lack of fast travel does kind of hurt it due to the fact you run through the same areas multiple times and they were corridors mostly, and having the same enemies didn't help, but at the beginning of the game, it's fine, the problem was mid way through the game.

It's pretty much identical to dmc4's backtracking, if the map were designed a little better and more open, it would encourage traveling more since you have other places to explore, even then it will probably be big enough that teleporting and selling port crystals doesn't hurt it. Or at least have more than 1 major city as a central hub like MMOs that you never have to stay in low level areas if you don't want to.

What is up with the text box too? It's literally four times larger than it needs to be, because most NPCs only say one sentence, two at most and they talk like some kind of phrase dispenser rather than actual people.

You could turn off the chat boxes but yea they're huge.

jediyoshi

Still burning through my first playthrough, rocking a lvl 28ish strider. Did a bunch of wandering and sidequests before the more mainline stuff so I'm feeling a little over leveled at the moment.

t3qVY.jpg

Why not just include it in the game and those who don't want to use it , don't have to, and guys like me who do like to use it can use it :). Best of both worlds.

Being SOL because the sun is going down and you're far away from a city is still a pretty important part of the game. I think the best middle ground is having fast travel points you can use only while at a city already.

Being SOL because the sun is going down and you're far away from a city is still a pretty important part of the game. I think the best middle ground is having fast travel points you can use only while at a city already.

Agreed. Fast travel doesn't work without a significant investment.

Say, owning an artifact that lets you teleport to any location on the map, but at 100k gold a pop. Or, and I really like this idea, something that eats a set amount of experience points depending on the distance to the teleport location. Players should definitely be punished for fast traveling somehow. It has to remain inconvenient, IMO. Getting caught up in unexpected adventures on the way to and from a destination is the core of the game.

Schwabe

From regular enemies or the Chimera?

first time by the dragon itself ... forgot his fireball in the beginning :)

second time by goblins. if you ran out of stamina and then get cornered by some hobgoblins around, you're pretty much done ...

the chimera wasn't that hard, but it hits hard ...

This game should be coming in, in a couple of days for me. I plan on going the assassin route. Any recommendations on what I should do?

ixix

I'm hitting a point where hard is starting to not feel all that much worse than normal. The key point seems to be getting your HP to a point where you can survive more than a single hit from big beasties like ogres and whatnot, which has more or less happened now that I've reached 1500-some HP. Once you hit that tipping point a single slip-up no longer spells instant death and survival becomes a matter of just staying cautious and being judicious about making the occasional trip to a healing spring to fill up some bottles to keep on hand.

I'm hoping that things will be feeling pretty nasty once I reach
the post-game
again, but for the moment there's really nothing I'm afraid of. I made early jaunts to both Greatwall and the Blighted Manse just to dare the game to try and stop me and managed to complete both trips, albeit with some difficulty. I even did Soulflayer at night just to double down on the pure masochism of the trip.

Just like normal mode hard seems to be heavily front-loaded, difficulty-wise. I think I prefer it to normal on the whole, but I'd have liked it if they'd mixed up the actual enemy locations and whatnot rather than just increasing the amount of damage you take and the amount of stamina you expend while practically drowning you in gold. I'm freaking loaded, and I'm still a bit less than halfway through the main questline.

Parfait

Im excited because it's been a LONG while since i last played and forgot everything!

And I get to reset my level but keep my items? Oh MAN yes. I started my normal game as a mage, then a wizard... then warrior.. then strider and assassin.

Im considerin just going full warrior and becoming Loli Guts. This is clearly a good idea.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Late game spoiler warning, just in case.

Is there anything I should be looking to grind for
in the Everfall?
I'm low on money and need to cop a new weapon for my pawn. Also, how often
do the chambers reset?
I need some argentine sac or w/e for an enchantment.

Late game spoiler warning, just in case.

Is there anything I should be looking to grind for
in the Everfall?
I'm low on money and need to cop a new weapon for my pawn. Also, how often
do the chambers reset?
I need some argentine sac or w/e for an enchantment.

Place is an excellent source of Wakestones. Sell them 20 at a time and make a fortune.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Wow, I didn't even think of that. Good call.

Any idea about the second question? Those argentine sacs only drop off one enemy, and they only spawn
in two of those chambers, which is kinda crazy.
I think I need like four as well, heh.

Sanctuary

What's with some of the "God Mode" enemies that you encounter early on? From level 4-20 I've come across bandits that come pouring out of a shack like clowns from a clown car (or from behind some hills) and there's always one that seems to one-shot my main character and almost one-shot my tank. Even after slowly clearing out the rest of the bandits, that particular one simply does not die, and seems to either have thousands of hit points, or it mitigates 99% of the damage done.

I'm all for difficulty spikes, but having something like that along the path that you're supposed to be wandering on is a pretty poor design, and the only thing you can do is run away...while your pawns are most likely dying because they are too stupid to either focus fire or stay with you even when you command them to.

Unless of course you're simply supposed to ignore every single side quest until you're level 100+ (and the game gives absolutely no indication of this).

sublimit

Banned
What's with some of the "God Mode" enemies that you encounter early on? From level 4-20 I've come across bandits that come pouring out of a shack like clowns from a clown car (or from behind some hills) and there's always one that seems to one-shot my main character and almost one-shot my tank. Even after slowly clearing out the rest of the bandits, that particular one simply does not die, and seems to either have thousands of hit points, or it mitigates 99% of the damage done.

I'm all for difficulty spikes, but having something like that along the path that you're supposed to be wandering on is a pretty poor design, and the only thing you can do is run away...while your pawns are most likely dying because they are too stupid to either focus fire or stay with you even when you command them to.

Unless of course you're simply supposed to ignore every single side quest until you're level 100+ (and the game gives absolutely no indication of this).

Yeah some bandits can be very annoying early on in the game.You either need to avoid them (which is not always possible) or you can hire some higher leveled pawns to help you out.One strategy that helped me personally is to always try to kill the archers first.
Btw do you know that you can call the pawns to come running with you with the down button of the d-pad?
However running away when you are on an escort mission will most likely result in failing the mission (with a dead NPC).:/

Top Bottom