• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Skilletor

This game reminds me of the Capcom D & D game.

It's pretty damn amazing.

Is there a way to remake my character's looks after I've started? Is there somewhere with good looking character formulas? Mine is pretty damn ugly, but I'm early enough in the game to restart and try again.

Tomodachi

Is there a way to remake my character's looks after I've started? Is there somewhere with good looking character formulas? Mine is pretty damn ugly, but I'm early enough in the game to restart and try again.
There's a barber reachable about 4-5 hours in the game I think, but you can only change your hair, beard etc, not really fix a hideous face. There's also a way to totally edit your character like you do at the beginning but it takes a lot of rift crystal points, so you'll only be able to access it at the end of the game or even after multiple playthroughs. So yeah, if you're not very far in the game you might want to restart.

It's very easy to make likeable characters in this game, just start with a face preset, then change your hair style and whatever you want but just be careful with facial features like jaw, nose, mouth, eyes, and you'll be alright.

Ugly/attractive in Dragon's Dogma is like good/evil in other RPGs -- the two paths produce two completely different stories and you should do both to get the full experience.

I can't remember the last time I laughed at a game as much as I did on the playthrough with my pouty pretty-man who constantly looked like he had a case of stoner-giggles.

Sanctuary

Tower of Doom is actually what it made me think of as well from the early previews. I played the demo right before the game was released, and wasn't impressed at all. That was mostly due to the clusterfuck of health bars and the incessant yammering of the pawns. I went ahead and grabbed a copy tonight from Amazon though, because the Action/RPG itch needs to be scratched, and from all of the reviews I've read as well as random player reviews, there's a lot more that's great about the game than there is bad. I also like class based games, because they offer replayability via trying out the various classes.

Tomodachi

Tower of Doom is actually what it made me think of as well from the early previews. I played the demo right before the game was released, and wasn't impressed at all. That was mostly due to the clusterfuck of health bars and the incessant yammering of the pawns. I went ahead and grabbed a copy tonight from Amazon though, because the Action/RPG itch needs to be scratched, and from all of the reviews I've read as well as random player reviews, there's a lot more that's great about the game than there is bad. I also like class based games, because they offer replayability via trying out the various classes.
The demo is a mess and I wasn't impressed at all at the time, I would have never picked up that section as a showcase of the game. That said, as many RPGs this is a very difficult game to showcase, especially considering that the game itself takes a while imho to express its real potential. Demos don't work well for this kind of games and especially in this case, at the beginning all I could see were its flaws, I was really about to drop it for good (it didn't help that I chose a class I don't particularly like even now).

I think you get it from the guy next to the Rift Stone in the Encampment, only it costs Rift Crystals, not Gold. It's an item that allows you to change everything about your character/pawn from the main menu.

Skilletor

I knew I would love this game based on the demo. I was just hoping for a PC port, but I've waited long enough.

Just fought the Hydra. OMG wow. Can't wait to get some cool spells. :)

Started this up for the first time the yesterday. Really digging it so far, but god damn; this game doesn't fuck around

I hit Gran Soren (the city?) and Mercedes told me to go off and find something to do. Ran into some dude who told me that he was looking for a grimiore so I was thinking, "Fair enough, it's with some bandits. I can handle some bandits." So I set off and walk for about 5 minutes in the direction of map marker and realize, it's pretty damn far. So I keep walking until I hit a river and there are FUCKING INVISIBLE LIZARDS that wreck my shit. After a hard fought battle where I had to kill something like 6 of them I managed to continue. It's pretty quiet now and it looks like the place I have to head to is on a cliff. As I'm making my way to the path along the cliff A FUCKING CHIMERA blasts my main pawn in the ass and I sprint for dear life along the cliff path

1 down

So I can see the place I need to go isn't far off, but on the horizon I spot a troll, "Who gives a fuck? I killed a troll in like 5s before." Then I remembered that that troll was almost dead. Troll fucked us up pretty bad but I ended up being lucky and it fell off the cliff.

Almost there... I spot a group of she-bandits and I think, "Fuck! Just some bandits, not a big deal." Hit with a fireball, dead. Reload and the same shit happens. Again. Realizing I'm not going to be able to beat these girls I decide to make my way back. I end up running into that sonofabitch chimera but I manage to get my 2 surviving pawns to safety in a cave. I think about exploring the cave but then I catch another troll ahead, "Fuck that." So I make my way back out of the cave AND IT GOT DARK

BANDITS EVERYWHERE, FUCKING WOLVES AND THAT ASSHOLE CHIMERA are all outside chillin. Decide to book it and my mage ends up providing a distraction with his corpse on some TWD shit

2 down

Now I'm sprinting and cooling down and sprinting and cooling down, FUCKING ZOMBIES BURSTING OUT OF THE GROUND and I'm still running. I can make out the town ahead and relief washes over me like an awesome wave. Making my way there when I'm pounced upon by 20 FUCKING GOBLINS. Nah, nah, still running. Other mage has the dumb ass idea of trying to heal us and ends up getting demolished

3 down

Solo now and a few paces away from the castle, I turn around and look at the path I just took thinking to myself, "That was probably a bad idea."

And that was my first DD adventure

Started this up for the first time the yesterday. Really digging it so far, but god damn; this game doesn't fuck around

I hit Gran Soren (the city?) and Mercedes told me to go off and find something to do. Ran into some dude who told me that he was looking for a grimiore so I was thinking, "Fair enough, it's with some bandits. I can handle some bandits." So I set off and walk for about 5 minutes in the direction of map marker and realize, it's pretty damn far. So I keep walking until I hit a river and there are FUCKING INVISIBLE LIZARDS that wreck my shit. After a hard fought battle where I had to kill something like 6 of them I managed to continue. It's pretty quiet now and it looks like the place I have to head to is on a cliff. As I'm making my way to the path along the cliff A FUCKING CHIMERA blasts my main pawn in the ass and I sprint for dear life along the cliff path

1 down

So I can see the place I need to go isn't far off, but on the horizon I spot a troll, "Who gives a fuck? I killed a troll in like 5s before." Then I remembered that that troll was almost dead. Troll fucked us up pretty bad but I ended up being lucky and it fell off the cliff.

Almost there... I spot a group of she-bandits and I think, "Fuck! Just some bandits, not a big deal." Hit with a fireball, dead. Reload and the same shit happens. Again. Realizing I'm not going to be able to beat these girls I decide to make my way back. I end up running into that sonofabitch chimera but I manage to get my 2 surviving pawns to safety in a cave. I think about exploring the cave but then I catch another troll ahead, "Fuck that." So I make my way back out of the cave AND IT GOT DARK

BANDITS EVERYWHERE, FUCKING WOLVES AND THAT ASSHOLE CHIMERA are all outside chillin. Decide to book it and my mage ends up providing a distraction with his corpse on some TWD shit

2 down

Now I'm sprinting and cooling down and sprinting and cooling down, FUCKING ZOMBIES BURSTING OUT OF THE GROUND and I'm still running. I can make out the town ahead and relief washes over me like an awesome wave. Making my way there when I'm pounced upon by 20 FUCKING GOBLINS. Nah, nah, still running. Other mage has the dumb ass idea of trying to heal us and ends up getting demolished

3 down

Solo now and a few paces away from the castle, I turn around and look at the path I just took thinking to myself, "That was probably a bad idea."

This is funny since i know exactly what happenned , what path you took , and what mistakes you've made ..
Your main problem is that you were presented too many scénarios you weren't prepared for ( in top of
(despite the marker ) not going in the right place
)and that none of your pawn knew enough to provides a clue to set you on the right path ..

There are more surprises for you in this game

Tomodachi

<snip>

The very reason I LOVE this game. You never know what you can expect, you leave Gran Soren and have no idea when you'll be coming back. They nailed the feeling of real adventure and travel so much. Sometimes it's like a survival horror out there, the tension, the dark. One of the best experience this whole generation for me. All the flaws really disappear before these amazing moments.

Great post btw, thanks for sharing.

EDIT: also, one of the flaws afore mentioned is that the game gives you optional quests way too early in the game, not only for your level but also for your knowledge of the world and the game mechanics even. But that is also the reason why you have those amazing adventures in the first place, so I really can't call it a fault. It would be like criticizing Dark Souls for being too unforgiving while that is the main appeal of the game.

It's interesting how much I can recall. It really did feel like an 'outing' compared to other open-world adventure games

I'm going to dig in again tomorrow, but, to ensure that something like that doesn't happen again for a while; what should I do when I hit Gran Soren?

Anteater

Man I can't wait for the hard mode patch, I hope the wait is worth it. I envy people who just jumped into this game. The difficulty was a huge problem that kind of ruined parts of the game.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I wonder if hard mode is something you can pick from the start of new game/character, or is only available to subsequent new game+ sessions.

I wonder if hard mode is something you can pick from the start of new game/character, or is only available to subsequent new game+ sessions.

I would like it if you can do that for both.I started a newgame+ but left it after short while. I'm hoping I don't have to beat the game again to do hard mode with this character.

Tomodachi

I hope you can select it as a new character, it would be a waste on NG+
with all the equipment and stats from the previous session

Anteater

I really have no idea how hard mode is going to work, they're not that good at explaining what their patches does.

I really hope it's not something that changes hp/defense/attack to enemies like easy mode does. The main problem with the game is the leveling, since it caps at lvl200, so if hardmode applies to existing characters, there will still be balancing issues because there is absolutely no way the game would be hard for people at lvl100, and it would not work for people at lower levels, I mean people already had problems fighting bandits at the start of the game.

Where are the nice armour sets? I've been seeing pretty spiffy looking pawns since level 13. Meanwhile, my level 20 main pawn looks like a bum

Also, upon resting, I get a message that my pawn went out and helped someone. Strangely, this can happen minutes apart. Is my pawn popular or is Capcom just toying with my feelings?

Where are the nice armour sets? I've been seeing pretty spiffy looking pawns since level 13. Meanwhile, my level 20 main pawn looks like a bum

Also, upon resting, I get a message that my pawn went out and helped someone. Strangely, this can happen minutes apart. Is my pawn popular or is Capcom just toying with my feelings?

it's both ..your pawn was probably used by 2 different people and you got the items for each people ..
Unless the game just gave you rift points ONLY .. in that case , capcom servers are pitying you because your pawn is not popular.

Tomodachi

Probably someone just released your pawn in the minutes between the first and second rests.

You'll get better armor in time. I too remember seeing a lot of random pawns with awesome equip, it's probably just that you see the most popular ones walking by the streets, and they're from people who already know the game and grab nice stuff at early levels.

Just picked this up. Is there some secret to turning off the letterboxing? Drives me crazy, my screen is small enough.

I think it's something to reduce rendered stuff on screen and improve framerate (which is still a mess, lol). You can't turn it off unfortunately. I deeply feared for my plasma getting burned in.

Anteater

Went to visit Maul in the middle of the night, I have no idea what they're doing that late.

a9ilcaccuaem3nd.jpg-l62u5d.jpg

a9ikl_ecqaezbfv.jpg-lrvuph.jpg

Is hard mode going live at midnight?

Are you getting results screens with actual items and pawn reviews? Do you see who's borrowing your pawn? Because oftentimes the game gives you "pity borrows" where your pawn will get free RC and items (often crappy) without actually having been used by another player.

And in regards to armor, a lot of people just bought the DLC sets. Makes for really great kit at low levels, but it kind of breaks the loot game until you start finding items that are better. Don't worry about it. If you're pawn looks good and is well trained, s/he will be used.

Are you getting results screens with actual items and pawn reviews? Do you see who's borrowing your pawn? Because oftentimes the game gives you "pity borrows" where your pawn will get free RC and items (often crappy) without actually having been used by another player.

And in regards to armor, a lot of people just bought the DLC sets. Makes for really great kit at low levels, but it kind of breaks the loot game until you start finding items that are better. Don't worry about it. If you're pawn looks good and is well trained, s/he will be used.

Nope, no reviews. Usually comes back with flasks of oil and some healing plants which I can't really complain about. I decided to dig into the menus and it turns out he hasn't been hired so far.

Maybe people don't really pick up Fighters.

Speaking of which, is that a good vocation for my main pawn if I play as a Magick Archer/Ranger? I've got him tanking for me now. His skills are suitable for it, but his gear is really bummy since I'm always broke and because of that, he doesn't survive too long. He's in leathers with a Pelta shield and a crappy sword.

Is hard mode....*gasp* free?

Yes, and rightfully so. Here's hoping it gives the game a ton of replay value.

Nope, no reviews. Usually comes back with flasks of oil and some healing plants which I can't really complain about. I decided to dig into the menus and it turns out he hasn't been hired so far.

Maybe people don't really pick up Fighters.

Speaking of which, is that a good vocation for my main pawn if I play as a Magick Archer/Ranger? I've got him tanking for me now. His skills are suitable for it, but his gear is really bummy since I'm always broke and because of that, he doesn't survive too long. He's in leathers with a Pelta shield and a crappy sword.
There's nothing wrong with Fighter. Warrior's good, too. If your guy's dying a lot it may be because he has the wrong abilities and skills for his class. Just curious - say you have enough gold to buy a full loadout of gear for either you or your pawn, who do you choose? When I first started playing I discovered that sometimes it's best to give your pawn priority, because the player can make up a lack of decent gear with sheer skill, while a pawn cannot. You may notice you get more usages if you kit him out before you spend all your money on yourself.

How far are you into the game? I'd say you shouldn't even worry so much about people hiring your pawn until about lv. 20-30, when he really starts to distinguish himself. Don't get discouraged if people don't use your pawn off the bat - everyone's pawn starts out crappy.

Took a full game day (as in sunlight hours) to kill the stupid Griffin outside the Gran Soren gate that's been terrorizing me for the last 6 hours and all I got some meat and a few feathers. The Griffin's death cry kinda made me feel bad too

I feel deflated

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Downloaded a trial for adventurers and the patch on xbox.

There's now a "hard" selection in the difficulty option boxes from the in-game option menu. If you select it, it says picking hard mode restarts you at the beginning of the story but with everything from your current save file intact. Also says enemies drop a lot more gold in hard mode, and do more damage. Your stamina drains faster too.

Don't know yet if the patch adjusts enemy locations or addresses any other bugs or issues in the game.

Speed Run mode is launched separately from the extras menu before loading your game. It says it uses your current save file to launch a speed run session.

Tomodachi

Downloaded a trial for adventurers and the patch on xbox.

There's now a "hard" selection in the difficulty option boxes from the in-game option menu. If you select it, it says picking hard mode restarts you at the beginning of the story but with everything from your current save file intact. Also says enemies drop a lot more gold in hard mode, and do more damage. Your stamina drains faster too.

Don't know yet if the patch adjusts enemy locations or addresses any other bugs or issues in the game.

Speed Run mode is launched separately from the extras menu before loading your game. It says it uses your current save file to launch a speed run session.

Is it possible to start a new game altogether directly in hard mode as far as you know?

jediyoshi

Just finished up A Fortress Besieged for the first time. Fighting the two cyclops in the courtyard during sunrise is pretty magical.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Speedrun mode is a bit weaksauce. It's effectively a timed, offline NG+ with no saves allowed. You keep your levels and equipment from your main game, so you can pretty much just steamroll it with decent kit.

I think it'd be a lot more interesting if you had to start from scratch, personally.

Pakkidis

I really stink at this game. The main quest in gran soren I was dying like no tomorrow. The quest I'm referring to is the one
where you go under the pawn guild and down the tower, their is a huge troll and when you get to the bottom all these worm like things come out of the ground. After many tries, I managed to escape with my crew intact.

Then I decided to head out to the next main objective, it was nighttime and got my ass handed to me over and over again. I'm lvl 15/16? Maybe I should do some sidequests. Problem is their no fast travel and some of these quests gives me zero indication of where to go or what to do.

If my pawns die do I loose them forever? What skills do you recommend for a fighter/warrior?

Top Bottom