• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drakengard 3 |OT| This Silence Is Mine

Zafir

God, this game is so ridiculously vulgar. Not that I'm offended or anything, it's just borderline (lol) trashy at times. The first Drakengard game were pretty serious throughout, if I recall? Of the little I've played of Drakengard 2, that game seemed pretty no-nonsense as well. This game on the other hand has slapstick/game parody-like humor in it at times...
like that Chapter 2 fake ending scene and the part when the dummy dragon blows up the bridge while Zero is on it, those free falling screams she makes...Christ =/
. NIER also took itself very seriously but it was classy as fuck. Kaine was pretty out there and dropped a few shit/fuck-bombs here and there, but it still felt WAY more restrained than the diarrhea-of-the-mouth this game has been, ha!

Regardless, I'm still fascinated by the game's world/scope and I'm really enjoying the soundtrack. It's definitely got that "gotta see the next cut-scene" hook though. Hard to put down.
That's pretty much my opinion having completed chapter 2. Often it goes past humorous into silly/trashy(using your words) territory for me.

That said, I'm interested enough to give it a bit more time for the story itself. The game play isn't the worst either, though it would be far more fun without the frame rate drops.

cj_iwakura

Finished Panzer Dragoon Zero Chapter 2. A little worried that...

there won't be any on foot boss fights between the Intoners? Boo.

Also, saw that coming, but still... ice cold.

Dragoshi1

Yeah, this game is pretty great. Going after Four, and the humor, the blood, the everything is pretty great.

Framerate drops don't bother me, I played the first two games ALL the time, so I know what to expect.

I still burst out laughing when I remember the "I'M SOORRRRRYYYYYYY" from Mikhail and his weird way of running on the ground.

TnK

Japanese voices are far better than English, imo, and is well worth the $5 and 10GB download.

Some people are reporting different amounts for the game, but I have seen as low as 30 hrs to plat, and as high as 100.

And, fwiw, Nier is the shit.

Have to say this is pretty good, too.
Thanks for clearing that up. Do you have subtitles from the small talk the enemies give? Also, I don't know if I should laugh or be annoyed at "content not suitable for anyone" thing going on.

EDIT: the japanese dubs are 10GB? Why? Dat uncompressed audio.

Was the GameStop costume DLC on the receipt or did they have tickets to give away?

I'm kind of curious if I can convince my friendly store manager to give me one if they were printed tickets.

I hope the One DLC isn't indicative of the quality of all the DLC. No Japanese audio, reused maps (that have already been reused in the game over and over), and being forced to play with a low level character with one shitty weapon. It's not exactly fun.

cerulily

I found the english quite good. It is comparable to valkyrie profile 2 (Zero has the same actress as Hrist valkyrie). It's not Nier, but i don't think it's anywhere near bad.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I hope the One DLC isn't indicative of the quality of all the DLC. No Japanese audio, reused maps (that have already been reused in the game over and over), and being forced to play with a low level character with one shitty weapon. It's not exactly fun.

You should be more concerned about the fact that you have to buy that shit and it wasnt included in the game with how piss poor they treated the sisters storywise, so you would literally have to buy the DLCs if you wanted to find out more about them.

Its what pushed me over the edge to say fuck you to SQEX with the game that I already wasnt amused with as is.

I just finished Chapter 1 and four of the requests, and some thing about this game feels really off. I am not sure if it is the combat, which feels stiff and awkward, or the linear nature of what I have played so far that is putting me off. I never played Drakengard 1 or 2, and I did not play Nier, so I cannot compare D3 to them. However, Nier receives a lot of praise which influenced me to purchase this game. I remember watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look of Nier, and it seemed like it was more of an open world?

Does the game pick up story-wise and gameplay-wise after Chapter 1? The story so far is weird in a good and bad way, and I am not sure that I dig the language. It just seems forced and awkward. I do like being able to upgrade weapons and try different ones out. I gain experience and levels, but I am not sure what they do or what purpose they serve. Do I have stats and things of that nature?

I am enjoying the music and Japanese VA, but I am struggling to really dig into it.

Edit: I really want to like this game - the style and cinematics are up my alley. But, as I said, something just feels super off.

You should be more concerned about the fact that you have to buy that shit and it wasnt included in the game with how piss poor they treated the sisters storywise, so you would literally have to buy the DLCs if you wanted to find out more about them.

Its what pushed me over the edge to say fuck you to SQEX with the game that I already wasnt amused with as is.

I still need to finish off branch D, but yeah, I'm not particularly pleased at how most of the character development in the story is shunted off to places outside of the actual core game in DLCs and novellas. The writing has actually been a let down for me and unless the final ending blows my socks off, I don't think that will change.

Edit: One's chapter is such a piece of shit, SE should have paid me to play it.

StuBurns

Banned
Nier is essentially a Zelda-like design, this is more like Dynasty Warriors with a little Panzer Dragoon. They're not very similar at all.

Soriku

Damn this is garbage! SE must scrambling for anything to release ugh.

Yeah I don't think they were scrambling to release Drakengard of all games lol.

Speaking of Nier, I want to pick it up but wish it wasn't $30+. It used to be under $20 a while ago.

Does the game pick up story-wise and gameplay-wise after Chapter 1? The story so far is weird in a good and bad way, and I am not sure that I dig the language. It just seems forced and awkward. I do like being able to upgrade weapons and try different ones out. I gain experience and levels, but I am not sure what they do or what purpose they serve. Do I have stats and things of that nature?

The gameplay doesn't fundamentally change. In fact the game recycles maps and enemies so much that you'll be doing pretty much the same thing over and over again. The story is a slow drip, and it's poorly paced and spread out overly thin throughout the game.

How does the music DLC work? I have some free PSN credit I could burn on it, but I'm wondering if I should hold off on it until a repeat playthrough.

Speaking of Nier, I want to pick it up wish it wasn't $30+. It used to be under $20 a while ago.
Wow, really? I got mine for like $7 new in 2011 (X360, if it matters).

The gameplay doesn't fundamentally change. In fact the game recycles maps and enemies so much that you'll be doing pretty much the same thing over and over again. The story is a slow drip, and it's poorly paced and spread out overly thin throughout the game.

Could be applied to the other games as well, hopefully Drakengard 4 will actually be good! Nier wasn't an amazing game but it was far more polished and certainly varied than any of these games.

I'm enjoying 3 so far but the technical issues are just unbelievable. Really don't understand how they put it out in this state.

cj_iwakura

Could be applied to the other games as well, hopefully Drakengard 4 will actually be good! Nier wasn't an amazing game but it was far more polished and certainly varied than any of these games.

I'm enjoying 3 so far but the technical issues are just unbelievable. Really don't understand how they put it out in this state.

It's one of those games where we're lucky it even exists.

Parakeetman

I still need to finish off branch D, but yeah, I'm not particularly pleased at how most of the character development in the story is shunted off to places outside of the actual core game in DLCs and novellas. The writing has actually been a let down for me and unless the final ending blows my socks off, I don't think that will change.

Edit: One's chapter is such a piece of shit, SE should have paid me to play it.

Remember I warned you folks not to buy the game.

Parakeetman

With what a disgrace to the series it is, this shit shouldnt have even been made in the first place. Either make something that is complete or dont make it at all. You can tell that the whole project was rushed and an overall mess.

Cant even compare it to Nier since at least that didnt feel half-assed. Sure it tried a lot of things and not everything worked perfectly, but it didnt feel like they were kicking the bird out of the nest. Then curb stomping it after (the sisters DLC).

Parakeetman

I don't actually regret buying it. I've gotten some enjoyment out of it even thought it's hard to say it's anything other than a bad game. And I needed to see it for myself.

People are allowed to say negative things in OTs.

The price of the game vs the actual content / quality was highly unbalanced here in Japan with it being around 70-75. Which was another reason why folks were pissed off when they finished the game and felt like pretty much nothing was resolved let alone warranted the price.

He apparently forgot about his little whining session he had in the Demon Gaze OT that he got beaten over the head by everyone else there in for.

Wereroku

With what a disgrace to the series it is, this shit shouldnt have even been made in the first place. Either make something that is complete or dont make it at all. You can tell that the whole project was rushed and an overall mess.

Cant even compare it to Nier since at least that didnt feel half-assed. Sure it tried a lot of things and not everything worked perfectly, but it didnt feel like they were kicking the bird out of the nest. Then curb stomping it after (the sisters DLC).

I am more amazed by the fact that you can improve the frame rate by turning off the blood splatter. Which just makes me question why they left it in at all its not like it adds a ton of atmosphere to the game or anything. Yet with it on the frame rate is even worse at least default with it off.

The price of the game vs the actual content / quality was highly unbalanced here in Japan with it being around 70-75. Which was another reason why folks were pissed off when they finished the game and felt like pretty much nothing was resolved let alone warranted the price.

He apparently forgot about his little whining session he had in the Demon Gaze OT that he got beaten over the head by everyone else there in for.

Ahh Demon Gaze I really need to stop grinding and beat that game. Yeah I am really enjoying the game but I can see why someone would be disappointed. This is a compromised game that doesn't really add what I think the director wanted. Its kind of sad that you are required to get the manga to understand the story where the other games told the complete story through the multiple endings and course of the normal game.

Parakeetman

I am more amazed by the fact that you can improve the frame rate by turning off the blood splatter. Which just makes me question why they left it in at all its not like it adds a ton of atmosphere to the game or anything. Yet with it on the frame rate is even worse at least default with it off.

Its not like it even looks that well done to begin with. Same with the general blood on the character.

Dragoshi1

How do you get to those requests, by the way? I get a message saying the request was added after a level, but I can't find them.

Wereroku

How do you get to those requests, by the way? I get a message saying the request was added after a level, but I can't find them.

Press right on the stage select menu usually.

Edit:Sorry meant press right should take you to the screen with the requests. Left takes you to earlier chapters.

Parakeetman

I can understand complaints with the game, though as far as it being the worst in the series, pray tell how this game could possibly be fucking worse than Drakengard 2, because I felt that game was absolutely terrible.

Two was still designed better than this game was thats for sure. Nothing beats the first one with how bad the attack animations were though which made the game a chore lol.

Id say two still at least kept the feeling of the world and setting, where this one totally just threw pretty much all of that out. They were targeting the wrong audience thats for sure. Since its not like bringing people into 3 is going to suddenly make them buy 1 & 2 anymore. So dont even see why they tried to change their focus away from the fans of the first 2 games. That and its not like people who know nothing about the series are really going to wander into the 3rd game just because over here in Japan, considering the stories are "supposed" to be connected.

They seriously could have done so much more with the game if they actually had put some effort into it. Such a waste of a title that folks have been waiting years for. Almost 9 years people have been waiting for another game. With how they apparently wanted to continue the franchise with media such as the mangas for example, that they make the general writing from the game so different from the mangas. Well more the one which would most def be considered mainline, the DRAG-ON DRAGOON 死ニ至ル赤 / Drag-On Dragoon Shi ni Itaru Aka. (Btw as mentioned before for others dont look this up as the cover of the first book can be considered a major spoiler).

They had a fine cast of characters, but it was pretty much all wasted due to the poor overall writing. On top of having other content locked away in the DLCs, which wasted the initial potential of the sisters with the full title itself. Such a damned shame since the cast and their voice work is great and subpar gameplay / design sure can look past that, but the writing really just pulled everything down. The producer talks about how the core is his audience yet pretty much with the design and how the writing / tone was changed shows that they were targeting a different group all together. Which was not the fans of the series.

cj_iwakura

Whining != valid complaints. I said other things about the game, all you've had to say is negativity about D3.

And I sure didn't tell people not to buy DG.

jorgeton

This game is fun though. At least to me. Which makes up for a lot of the shortcomings. It reminds me most of Ninja Gaiden 3:RE oddly enough. Intoner mode is very similar to the SOB mode in that.

And I'm not that bothered by the frame rate drops either. They're there, but 90% of the time it's not so bad.

I've had a blast playing it so far overall. Working on Branch D now.

My biggest problem so far has been the story. It started out great. A bloody satire of JRPG tropes, now it's getting a little too incomprehensible. B/C ending spoilers
the parallel universe Schlick is so played out. My interest dropped right then and there. It all seems like such lazy writing after the inspired mess of branch A.

My biggest problem so far has been the story. It started out great. A bloody satire of JRPG tropes, now it's getting a little too incomprehensible. B/C ending spoilers
the parallel universe Schlick is so played out. My interest dropped right then and there. It all seems like such lazy writing after the inspired mess of branch A.
These are similar to my own feelings.
It wasn't until after branch A that the game started to lose me. The pacing and poor execution of the story after that left me cold. And a lot of what they tried to pull off with regards to character drama just felt unearned. Most of branches B and C were utterly pointless to be honest.

Parakeetman

One japanese guy nailed it for his commentary about how poorly written the "followers" are

spoiler tagged for obvious reasons, but whats covered up has to do with the followers personality.

Dito - IM A SADIST!, Decadus - IM A MASOCHIST, Octa - I LIKE SEX LOL, Cent - DERP IM AN IDIOT

Pretty spot on and basically thats all you hear coming out of their mouths for most of the game. Would have been nicer if they put a bit more effort into that considering you are stuck with them for most of the game.

One japanese guy nailed it for his commentary about how poorly written the "followers" are

spoiler tagged for obvious reasons, but whats covered up has to do with the followers personality.

Dito - IM A SADIST!, Decadus - IM A MASOCHIST, Octa - I LIKE SEX LOL, Cent - DERP IM AN IDIOT

Pretty spot on and basically thats all you hear coming out of their mouths for most of the game. Would have been nicer if they put a bit more effort into that considering you are stuck with them for most of the game.

No one but
Zero, One, and Mikhail
get any real development in the game. And even there it's pretty standard stuff. (branch D)
All the sacrifices in branch D just left me wondering why I was supposed to care, especially with the Accord.

Parakeetman

No one but
Zero, One, and Mikhail
get any real development in the game. And even there it's pretty standard stuff. (branch D)
All the sacrifices in branch D just left me wondering why I was supposed to care, especially with the Accord.

As mentioned the DLC stuff pissed off a lot of folks seeing what it contained and what the game didnt. In regards to like actual content with the sisters. Thats why a lot of people just are watching others vids on YT / Niconico instead of paying for it seems to be the general feeling towards it.

If you consider how much folks who bought it at launch paid then 7000-7600 JPY then add in around ~3426 JPY for all the dlc content thats pretty much 10000 JPY total and as mentioned its not even like this is a title that is worth that much. So the combined problem of initial price of game + type of content locked away in DLC and how soon the DLC came out just became the perfect storm to further piss off the fans that purchased the game. DLC is like 570 something a piece x 6

Stuff like the costumes / music dont really care about and its perfectly fine that it exists as those are actual extra content and its not like the game was made plot points vague on purpose to entice people to buy them.

fvng

Disciples are fucking useless in battle. I stood there for a minute waiting for Dito to attack someone and he didn't do shit

Top Bottom