• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drakengard 3 |OT| This Silence Is Mine

ok i might pick this up when i pick up Xillia 2 in August or pick up a Steam card for summer sales in July
if ive already seen Evangelion will i be prepared for this game
granted this will be my first Drakengard game

Tohsaka

Apparently, the Japanese voices don't work for the One DLC chapters. I finished Branch A and went to do the One DLC, but the voices are in English despite the game being set to Japanese audio in the settings. Hopefully they'll sort this out in a patch, or something.

ok i might pick this up when i pick up Xillia 2 in August or pick up a Steam card for summer sales in July
if ive already seen Evangelion will i be prepared for this game
granted this will be my first Drakengard game
Perhaps? I think having watched Evangelion better prepares you for the first game, as it's got a much different and bleaker tone all around.

Just be prepared for depraved characters, hilariously dark banter, and janky technical performance.

Astarte

The humor is better, but even that is mostly concentrated in the earlier parts of the game. I'm in C and feel like its been awhile since the game has been funny.

I feel like the game becomes unintentionally hilarious at some parts. I didn't find myself laughing at a lot of the jokes (Decadus and Dito both feel so played out) but good lord some cutscenes had me on the floor.

Cheska

Hey guys, is this game overly bright/white? I'm trying to play it on one of those GAEMS portable systems since I'm in the process of shifting things around, and I'm trying to decipher if it's just my screen or the game itself that makes the Zero look almost translucent lol.

Stuart444

Well I installed and played the game first before the Japanese Voice DLC was finished downloading and I can confirm there is no switch anywhere so the fix doesn't seem to work :/ I have a EU copy too, hopefully they fix this fast. What I find worrying, should the DLC be listed as installed somewhere? I don't see it under Game Data Utility or anywhere.

It won't be listed anywhere

The base game is 15GB, the voice DLC is around 10GB.

Go to triangle (on the game) -> information, it's size will say 25GB. The voice DLC is just considered part of the base game from what I can figure based on that.

Shito

I installed the DLC after installing the game, and the japanese voices don't show up. Euro version.
There's really no reason why downloading them again would fix anything: it clearly is a problem with the game needing a patch to handle the DLC.

Reknoc

didn't they say it had something to do with the order of them being installed, but never actually gave the correct order. whatever it's probably bullshit and is just the cherry on top of S-E's joke of a release cake.

Stuart444

I installed the DLC after installing the game, and the japanese voices don't show up. Euro version.
There's really no reason why downloading them again would fix anything: it clearly is a problem with the game needing a patch to handle the DLC.

Yeah. Like I said, EU version is ver1.00 on my side. If Americans have a higher version then it's obviously because they have a patch, we don't.

MilkBeard

the Japanese voice option is located in the change outfits/ music menu.

I already checked there, it's not showing up. As I said, it's listed in my game data utility area but there's nothing in the game to switch them over.

Do you have to download it through that menu? Because I redeemed the code and downloaded it before I had the game. That might be causing it to not recognize it. I am currently in a place without internet connection so I can't just sign on there right now.

It won't be listed anywhere

The base game is 15GB, the voice DLC is around 10GB.

Go to triangle (on the game) -> information, it's size will say 25GB. The voice DLC is just considered part of the base game from what I can figure based on that.

Oh alright yeah it's 25GB on my end too so you are right it seems to integrate with the base game. Atleast we can be sure it's there now, somebody just has to flip that switch so we can activate it.

Ouroboros

After almost 3 hours of downloading and installing I'm really enjoying this game. Love Zero as a character and her banter between her and that dummy. The only thing that bothers me and takes me out of the experience is the too frequent frame rate drop. In a forest level, I swear it was going between 5-10 fps at some points.

I just started too. I thought the VA was pretty good until I heard Five conversing with Zero at the end of CH1. I felt it was over done and the dialogue was terrible.

Otherwise, the game is pretty fun. Love the soundtrack too

I just started too. I thought the VA was pretty good until I heard Five conversing with Zero at the end of CH1. I felt it was over done and the dialogue was terrible.

Otherwise, the game is pretty fun. Love the soundtrack too

It's kinda the point, and kinda not the point.

But yeah, this game is great. It's a fucking technical mess, but it's far too fun for me to give a shit about that.

Dragoshi1

Bought it Wednesday, installed it, and haven't had time to sit and play it.

But, I had tons of fun playing through Drakengard 1 and 2. I beat both and got almost all of the endings for each.

Angelus and Legna were both fun dragons, and it's great hearing that Mikhail is going to be a fun foil to Zero's insanity.

Finished Ending C and shit has started to get pretty dark and weird, which is to be expected once getting past the first ending in a Drakengard game. I'm excited yet terrified to get to Ending D because I know what that final mission entails and I'm still amazed Yoko Taro had the balls to pull that shit AGAIN.

SheHateMe

I... haven't played it yet.

The CE is sitting in my bookshelf right now and I'm torn between opening it or not.

Don't get me wrong, I've had (and enjoyed) my fair share of jank play, but I mean... I don't know. You guys and gals are making me nervous.

I may open it tonight. Maybe.

cj_iwakura

Amazon copy get.

Incidentally, if anyone wants to trade their costume or theme DLC for the Amazon color DLC I got, I'd totally be down for that.

Szadek

I still can't play the game.
After the long download came a long instalation,but it gave me time to read in the novella.
Very intersting stuff.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The framerate is really, really bad. Usually a little bit here and there doesn't bother me but it gets... really bad.

cj_iwakura

I hate the transitions into the tutorials.

Finished Verse 1. Wish I could have
FOUGHT the damn tutorial boss, since I felt I could take him. Oh well.

Graphics are janky, but I'll manage.

Love the music and dialogue. Even Mikhail's likable.

I don't suppose I can turn off these dang subs.

MilkBeard

The framerate is really, really bad. Usually a little bit here and there doesn't bother me but it gets... really bad.

It hasn't actually gotten bad for me, but there is this weird stutter to the game. The thing that I have the most disappointment with is the screen tearing. Then again, it's an Unreal Engine game. Then again, It's also very unpolished.

However, I find the combat to be quite fun. It's not quite as imprecise and floaty as some of the reviews were suggesting.

Now that I have all the weapons in the game, I can focus on Ending D as well as spending my money on upgrading them. I need those weapon stories, I need them.

Speaking of which, any of you guys have any weapon stories in the game you particularly like?

Astarte

Now that I have all the weapons in the game, I can focus on Ending D as well as spending my money on upgrading them. I need those weapon stories, I need them.

Speaking of which, any of you guys have any weapon stories in the game you particularly like?

I like the missionary sword, it ends on a pretty hilariously awful note.

Okay, my save rolled back to before I beat ending D's boss. I can't do this again. I can't.

After almost 3 hours of downloading and installing I'm really enjoying this game. Love Zero as a character and her banter between her and that dummy. The only thing that bothers me and takes me out of the experience is the too frequent frame rate drop. In a forest level, I swear it was going between 5-10 fps at some points.
It has some bad frame drops but I don't think it drops that much. Idk if its because of my tv as well but it seems like it fluctuates all over. I assumed it was unplayable before I got it. Its really fun though!

Mohasus

Framerate drops are worse if you are rushing. Some levels I would just jump and air dash past enemies until a forced fight and the framerate was really bad.

Anony

man, this game runs like ass
the graphics are bland, textures are lagging in, the unreal engine is just shit here

the game itself, while is alright, it's linear as fuck
this is exactly how ff13 felt, each chapter is just a corridor and u fight though the soldiers
executing moves is poor because of frame rate
the dragon controls are weird

very disappointing

Framerate drops are worse if you are rushing. Some levels I would just jump and air dash past enemies until a forced fight and the framerate was really bad.

I've definitely experienced this. Run past hordes of enemies and watch the game stutter. But mostly it differs by mission. The framerate is always poor, but it doesn't hit rock bottom on every level.

It's the loading times that are most infuriating really. I'm tired of waiting 10+ seconds for doors to unlock, or full minute loads before missions, or staring at black screens after finishing a level. This is the perfect multitasking game though because you get constant breaks to do other things.

cj_iwakura

Wow. Chapter 1... escalated quickly.
I'm disappointed you don't get to have a hand-to-hand with Five. I hope that changes with the others.

Mohasus

I've definitely experienced this. Run past hordes of enemies and watch the game stutter. But mostly it differs by mission. The framerate is always poor, but it doesn't hit rock bottom on every level.

It's the loading times that are most infuriating really. I'm tired of waiting 10+ seconds for doors to unlock, or full minute loads before missions, or staring at black screens after finishing a level. This is the perfect multitasking game though because you get constant breaks to do other things.

I don't have a problem with loading times, but I'm playing the digital version (non-stock HDD).

Man, fuck these late game Accord Requests. Trying to complete the ones I've unlocked while playing Branch D and it's frustrating beyond belief. I don't even know why I need to bother when I have every single weapon already.

Oh wait, there's probably gonna be some specific weapon bases that I'll need for getting certain weapons to max level. Fucking hell...

Astarte

Man, fuck these late game Accord Requests. Trying to complete the ones I've unlocked while playing Branch D and it's frustrating beyond belief. I don't even know why I need to bother when I have every single weapon already.

Oh wait, there's probably gonna be some specific weapon bases that I'll need for getting certain weapons to max level. Fucking hell...

I just saved the late game Accord requests until I got the costume that gives you unlimited blood meter (which you get by upgrading every weapon to max...which took so much grinding). Everything was smooth sailing from there.
Hour 3 of my attempt to finish ending D, not happening.

I am terrible at rhythm games so I will probably never finish ending D. I'll have to wait until the next time I see my cousin or something, I got stuck on that clock game in Rhythm Fever for nearly 2 hours and he got it on his second try.

It's weird, the area where you fight Three looks 20 times better than any else in the game to that point, and it runs better!

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Finished Ending C and shit has started to get pretty dark and weird, which is to be expected once getting past the first ending in a Drakengard game. I'm excited yet terrified to get to Ending D because I know what that final mission entails and I'm still amazed Yoko Taro had the balls to pull that shit AGAIN.

What does it change from one playthrough to the next? Just the ending?

Finished ending C and the pre route D stuff, but i couldnt wait to collect all of the weapons to unlock route D and just watched it on youtube. all i have to say is... wow.

Yoko Taro does it again. The story in this game is amazing, I like Nier slightly more because the story of a father and his daughter is a weakness for me, but Drakengard 3's story is no doubt in the same league.

I highly recommend reading the novellas, especially Zero's on http://drakengardgame.com/ it honestly made me like Zero so much. I'm a little shocked at how much i like Zero now to be honest because foul mouthed heartless killers are not something i generally like..

I especially recommend nier fans to stick through all the framerate problems, but anyone who wants a good story should finish this game!

Finished ending C and the pre route D stuff, but i couldnt wait to collect all of the weapons to unlock route D and just watched it on youtube. all i have to say is... wow.

Yoko Taro does it again. The story in this game is amazing, I like Nier slightly more because the story of a father and his daughter is a weakness for me, but Drakengard 3's story is no doubt in the same league.

This is good to hear, I'm in the
unknown verses before D
and am still underwhelmed by the writing and story in the game and am kind of bamboozled at the praise people have laid on it. Hopefully I feel the same as you about the end.

TnK

Great to hear this game's story is int he same league as Nier. Haven't played Nier myself, but I heard really great things about it. Well, I started the game, and I am generally really liking it.

What I want to know is, the Japanese voice acting, is it worth getting, and is it better than the english?

I noticed that there is something odd with the sound where the voice acting in general is higher than the sound effects themselves.

EDIT: How long is this game?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If you have an hour to spare, I highly recommend Yoko's GDC presentation "Making Weird Games For Weird People" for anyone wanting to get an understanding of his unique approach to game design.

He's remarkably humble and unpretentious about what he does, but he's a genuinely interesting -and IMHO criminally underrated- creative. Some of the high-level points are just what he says in his recent "sock-puppet" promo, but there's also some terrific pragmatic advice about building drama and creating the sort of emotional impact that is his signature.

Top Bottom