• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Dreamcast] - Daytona USA question

xsarien

daedsiluap
Not about the game per se, more of a meta question. But I stumbled across a few cover shots of the game on Google, and couldn't help but notice that there's a big, honkin' "Hasbro Interactive" logo right on the front.

Did they publish it? If so, why? Sega has plenty of publishing strength in the U.S. Also, you know, it's their game. It seems odd for the American arm to farm publishing out, something that seems to be usually reserved for Europe. (Or Japan/USA with Square and EA up until a few years ago.)

So, uh, what's the deal?

Sho Nuff

Banned
I think two people had the rights to publish Daytona products: Hasbro and Electronic "We're Twats Who Acknowledged We Killed the Dreamcast" Arts. Sega went for the former. Obviously.

stewy

Back when Sega released Daytona on the DC, Hasbro owned the track rights for home videogames (the rights to each track are separate from the rights to the drivers and sanctioning body of NASCAR), not EA or Sega. That's why they were on the game.

That's also why EA's NASCAR game didn't include the Daytona track for a few years.

xsarien

daedsiluap
stewy said:
Back when Sega released Daytona on the DC, Hasbro owned the track rights for home videogames (the rights to each track are separate from the rights to the drivers and sanctioning body of NASCAR), not EA or Sega. That's why they were on the game.

That's also why EA's NASCAR game didn't include the Daytona track for a few years.

So, what, do they just get credit for the rights, or did they physically take over publishing duties for this game?

Basically, what I'm trying to nail down:

Did Sega publish Daytona USA (DC) after securing Hasbro's permission?
Yes/No

If No:
Then Hasbro published it?

stewy

My understanding is that Sega published it with permission from Hasbro. I remember calling Hasbro's PR back when the game was being reviewed and asking them some questions, only to be told their name on the package was a formality and that everything was being handled by Sega.

WarPig

Sega sub-licensed the track rights from Hasbro, that's all. For essentially the same reason, if you recall, Sega's NASCAR Arcade game from back in 2000 had an EA logo on it.

DFS.

Top Bottom