• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drifting away from Playstation

Nonehxc

I have been a big PS fan, played most of my games on the platform. I loved the ecosystem, the variety and quality of their games.

sxie0212.png

But as of recently, I turn on the console less. Feels like the PS magic is fading away. This is no melodramatic reaction, but a gradually waning interest. Over time, mainly since 2022, I found that:

• The PS Plus service offers far less value than before, or compared to competitors.
For an annual price of $135, the PS Plus Extra offers a far lesser catalog than the competitors. Each month 10+ games leave, but new arrivals never make up for the quality. Just look at the last three months. For the first time in 10 years, I stopped renewing my sub in March.

And then hardware. I never mind spending big, as long as the products offer good value. Based on the info out there so far, I don't think PS5 Pro is the case. I was dead firm to get it on day one, but now, I am holding off to see more about how much the PSSR can actually do.

• The customer service is a nightmare to deal with.
It's genuinely mindboggling that a giant like Sony on the market, has this unfathomable abysmal customer service. For once I lost a digital game's license for no reason, I contacted them, I provided the receipt directly from PSN store, and after one hour of back and forth, all they could advise, was to ask me to factor reset my console. It's been 9 months, I never heard back. And of course there was a time when I needed to claim the warranty for a drifting stick DualSense. There never was an easy path to navigate on the website for the purpose, and I had to call the hardware service number right at 8 am, because any other time, you stayed in the waiting line forever. And at least I was lucky to get the warranty honored. There are folks never able to.

• The states of current first-party studios are unclear, and I don't know what to anticipate.
And this is probably the final straw. after all, we love a console because of the games on it. Honestly, I had a great time with PS5, 2020 - 2022. The DualSense is magical, the graphics in Demons' Souls, Rift Apart, and Forbidden West are all breathtaking.
The downtime started in 2023, the mediocre showcase followed by debacles of their service game strategy. So far, we don't know a single project from any of PS's prestige studios (other than more Marvel from Insomniac). I am confident when the games from ND, SP, Bluepoint et al. come out, they will be great, but how long will it take? We used to have 2 - 3 high quality first party games every year.

I feel like I didn't want to go anywhere, but still drifting away from the console in the meantime. All I hope is that the Japanese take back all leadership of Playstation, and steer the brand towards what used to make it special.

Username checks out. šŸ˜„

hemo memo

Gold Member
When you leave, can I have your stuff?
Iā€™m actually giving away my PS5 with *disc-drive to my cousin after I finish the last 3 games remaining on the backlog. With a controller and *stand (not sold separately) and with some physical games I have. Plus the PS controller charger. Iā€™m keeping one controller for PC though. Itā€™s actually a sad moment as I was there since the beginning with every console even the Vita.

Pedro Motta

I have been a big PS fan, played most of my games on the platform. I loved the ecosystem, the variety and quality of their games.

sxie0212.png

But as of recently, I turn on the console less. Feels like the PS magic is fading away. This is no melodramatic reaction, but a gradually waning interest. Over time, mainly since 2022, I found that:

• The PS Plus service offers far less value than before, or compared to competitors.
For an annual price of $135, the PS Plus Extra offers a far lesser catalog than the competitors. Each month 10+ games leave, but new arrivals never make up for the quality. Just look at the last three months. For the first time in 10 years, I stopped renewing my sub in March.

And then hardware. I never mind spending big, as long as the products offer good value. Based on the info out there so far, I don't think PS5 Pro is the case. I was dead firm to get it on day one, but now, I am holding off to see more about how much the PSSR can actually do.

• The customer service is a nightmare to deal with.
It's genuinely mindboggling that a giant like Sony on the market, has this unfathomable abysmal customer service. For once I lost a digital game's license for no reason, I contacted them, I provided the receipt directly from PSN store, and after one hour of back and forth, all they could advise, was to ask me to factor reset my console. It's been 9 months, I never heard back. And of course there was a time when I needed to claim the warranty for a drifting stick DualSense. There never was an easy path to navigate on the website for the purpose, and I had to call the hardware service number right at 8 am, because any other time, you stayed in the waiting line forever. And at least I was lucky to get the warranty honored. There are folks never able to.

• The states of current first-party studios are unclear, and I don't know what to anticipate.
And this is probably the final straw. after all, we love a console because of the games on it. Honestly, I had a great time with PS5, 2020 - 2022. The DualSense is magical, the graphics in Demons' Souls, Rift Apart, and Forbidden West are all breathtaking.
The downtime started in 2023, the mediocre showcase followed by debacles of their service game strategy. So far, we don't know a single project from any of PS's prestige studios (other than more Marvel from Insomniac). I am confident when the games from ND, SP, Bluepoint et al. come out, they will be great, but how long will it take? We used to have 2 - 3 high quality first party games every year.

I feel like I didn't want to go anywhere, but still drifting away from the console in the meantime. All I hope is that the Japanese take back all leadership of Playstation, and steer the brand towards what used to make it special.

Take a chill pill ambassador. Too soon.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I drifted away years ago

I sold my PS4 in 2017 because 95% of what I wanted to play on PlayStation was on PC

Now with PS5 everything except Stellar Blade (for now) is on PC

I have to have a gaming rig for work so without exclusives that I care about these consoles just collect dust

I also sold my series console this year for that reason

PS, XBOX and Nintendo are all a nothing burger for me now the only games that interest me are old games/remakes/remasters that are also on Steam

Modern gaming in general is just meh and not worth bothering with with only a few exceptions (like AC6)

nial

I think most people don't care if the game is developed by the main studio or a subsidiary studio... At the end of the day, they're all part of the Nintendo company.
I included games both developed by Nintendo/Sony and its subsidiaries, though.
You can remove Shadow of the Colossus and DeS Remake as they released before Sony acquired Bluepoint.
Sony led development on those with Bluepoint being a co-developer. Not too different to the Metroid Prime remake in which Retro was leading development, but they still had a bunch of studios helping in the creation of the game.

Banjo64

cumsessed

Sony led development on those with Bluepoint being a co-developer. Not too different to the Metroid Prime remake in which Retro was leading development, but they still had a bunch of studios helping in the creation of the game.
Which Sony studio led development on the games? I thought Bluepoint was the lead developer on both.

Retro has been a subsidiary of Nintendo since 2002 and lead the development of Prime Remaster, so those arenā€™t the same in my view.

Banjo64

cumsessed
If I had to guess, probably XDev?
Doesnā€™t look like it

Games worked on

nial

Which Sony studio led development on the games
Japan Studio's Internal Development Department, so pretty much SIE.
If I had to guess, probably XDev?
XDEV doesn't lead development on anything. See above.
I thought Bluepoint was the lead developer on both.
The director of Demon's Souls is the same one as Puppeteer.
Retro has been a subsidiary of Nintendo since 2002 and lead the development of Prime Remaster, so those arenā€™t the same in my view.
And Japan Studio is literally Sony (!).

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I donā€™t think itā€™s a bad as op makes it seem times are exciting for PlayStation I think a good AAA will smooth things out they have tendencies to go on droughts and than you have Microsoft that has been a soft little tutu dancer since Halo 3.

Microsoft:

Drag Queen Love GIF by Teletubbies

Sony:

Martial Arts Fight GIF by Arrow Video

Nintendo:

Spongebob Squarepants Internet GIF

Banjo64

cumsessed
Japan Studio's Internal Development Department, so pretty much SIE.

XDEV doesn't lead development on anything. See above.

The director of Demon's Souls is the same one as Puppeteer.

And Japan Studio is literally Sony (!).
Japan Studio makes sense, and the games are listed on their gameography. Thanks for educating me, I thought Bluepoint were in charge of both projects.

kyussman

Yea,it's been one hell of a steep dive for me since the PS4,they released so many great exclusives I loved then......I've not invested in a PS5,nothing excites me about PlayStation any more,but that also relates to gaming in general.

It's not looking good but there is still a show supposedly coming this month. We just need to see games. Where is sonys next batch of single player games? We know only about Wolverine and death stranding 2. There's gotta be more that is yet to be revealed.

AmuroChan

I get what you're trying to say, but saved flight mileage is still not how an ecosystem (full of purchased products) works. If it helps as a comparison, think of apple music purchases, book purchases on Kindle, or even movie purchases on Vudu. Taking OP out of this example for a minute, in general it is extremely hard to just rip someone out of these systems once they start building a library of purchases on them.

Regarding your other point you're right, there isn't much else to say as that's on the OP. Personally I think he is experiencing gaming fatigue and is choosing to blame it on his Playstation, but that's just me making a theory based on how many of these types of 'I'm not enjoying ____' threads that I see pop up every so often on this forum.

Again, I understand. I've switched from Android to iOS before and forfeited all my purchases there. I had Kindle before with hundreds of books and I no longer use Kindle. I've spent tens of thousands of dollars on VHS, DVDs, Laserdiscs and tons of other physical media that I no longer use.

My point is that it's ok to walk away from an ecosystem even if you've spent thousands of dollars on purchases. First of all, they don't just disappear. It'll still be there if you ever return. Second, if OP truly has lost interest in the PlayStation ecosystem, then it shouldn't matter. You shouldn't force yourself to stay in an ecosystem that no longer brings you enjoyment just because you've invested a lot of money in said ecosystem. I mostly game on PS and PC. I have hundreds of games still in my XBox and Nintendo accounts that I may never touch again. And that's ok. They'll still be there if I ever return, and I'm fully content just gaming on PC and PS5 right now.

Last edited:
Wait a second... didn't Sony just release a 94 Metacritic score certified banger in the past couple of weeks? Also a new hardware announcement with the device due to launch in the next couple of months.

There is also a rumoured State of Play event due to take place this month.

I don't really understand the sentiment OP. With the exception of the PS5 Pro insane cost and lack of included disc drive things are looking good.

Celcius

Ā°Temp. member
Whenever a game gets released on PlayStation I just assume that's going to come to PC at some point in the future (except vanillaware titles) and so I just wait. I'm currently waiting on Astro Bot. If they announce Ghost of Tsushima 2 then I'll wait on the PC version of that.

GT7 is the one first party game where I'm not sure if they'll really port it or not...

Last edited:

Osthyvel

Lifelong PlayStationfan here, since ps1, always bought everything hardwarerelated day1.

I will invest more in my series x, worst thing for us gamers is if Sony stands without competition.

I have had ps+ since start, 2013? And never been without it, it runs out in a couple of months and i will not resub.

One of the biggest sins is greed, i wont stand behind that, and i know Microsoft is not better really, but I can choose were i put my money atleast.

From the bottom of my heart from a big Sonyfan; F*CK YOU!

Mr Hyde

I feel the same OP. I don't recognize Sony anymore. This gen started off good with an amazing console in PS5 (I think it's the best console ever) and games like Demon's Souls and Returnal, but as time has progressed Sony just keeps shifting focus to something I don't really like. Enormous focus on live service slop, raising prices on everything, from games to console go PS plus and controllers. It's obvious they want to be the Apple of the gaming industry and I'm so fucking tired of them trying to fleece me in every way possible. I don't sub to PS Plus anymore and I don't buy as many games as I used to. The current management is terrible and it feels like Playstation isn't something for me anymore. PS5 will most likely be my last console before shifting over to PC. Either that or going full retro. I'm kinda done with modern gaming anyway.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They really need to show off what their first party studios are doing with some release windows.

While he is overly dramatic, Sony have been horrible in being open about what most of their 1st party devs are doing. It is disturbing.

playbignbox

Neo Member
But aren't there games missing from this list? For example, in 2023 Nintendo published Pikmin 4, Fire Emblem Engage, WarioWare and Kirby... In addition to Xenoblade 3 DLC and Splatoon 3 support.

Not to mention games that were not developed by Nintendo subsidiaries but contain Nintendo IPs, such as Mario RPG or Advance Wars 1+2, but I understand why you didn't list those two.

Last edited:

nial

But aren't there games missing from this list? For example, in 2023 Nintendo published Pikmin 4, Fire Emblem Engage, WarioWare and Kirby... In addition to Xenoblade 3 DLC and Splatoon 3 support.
Those games were made by external developers (Eighting, Intelligent Systems and HAL Laboratory), and I'm not counting DLC.
Not to mention games that were not developed by Nintendo subsidiaries but contain Nintendo IPs, such as Mario RPG or Advance Wars 1+2, but I understand why you didn't list those two.
Nintendo usually owns the IP of games they publish from external developers, so it's a non-factor here.

Nydius

With console prices increasing (and ā€œgenerationsā€ becoming shorter), the extreme amount of time between major exclusive releases, the increased cost of ā€œmembershipā€ just to have online multiplayer access, and the fact that both Microsoft and Sony are putting their games on PC, Iā€™m drifting away from consoles entirely.

Sure, PCā€™s cost a lot more up front. But I have more options for sales, a vastly superior library of previous games spanning 40 years, and it isnā€™t limited to just being a games box. They can easily be hooked up to modern TVs for couch potato gaming or they can be used with proper monitors for sweaty desk gaming.

The way things are going, Iā€™m almost certain - Iā€™d say 90-95% - that I wonā€™t be buying a Sony or Microsoft console next generation and will just stick to PC+Nintendo.

Trilobit

Imagine if people were as dramatic with their consumtion of movies and music.

"I have been drifting away from Netflix despite being a user for years. I just feel the magic going away"
"I have been using Spotify for a long time...... but now it's time to sadly say goodbye to its music........ and go over to Apple Music. Do not mourn me because I'm already gone.........."

Last edited:
Top Bottom