• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllenShrz

This so much. I couldn't stand the open world approach of Burnout Paradise, TDU2, Forza Horizon, and NFS Most Wanted (2012), but I loved NFS Hot Pursuit, Gran Turismo, FM4, Burnout 3, etc. for their tight focus and well realized gameplay. Driveclub take out the fluff and gives it to you straight and uncut.

OMG-WHAT.gif

Yep, this game does seem barebones to me. I wonder how much the extra year of development added since it still feels like a launch game to me. At least I feel the core driving is pretty fun.

I think it will feel a lot less barebones when the servers are up. Feels like most of the game isn't accessible due to them being offline. The MP and challenges/club aspect will be where the meat of the game is.

23qwerty

Was just driving the ferrari california at the BHR track and had a moment where the IQ just aligned perfectly and there was no aliasing anywhere on the car and the lighting was gorgeous and god damn it looked exactly like something from the b-roll.
I feel like the california looks better than most vehicles do in terms of aliasing?

Was just driving the ferrari california at the BHR track and had a moment where the IQ just aligned perfectly and there was no aliasing anywhere on the car and the lighting was gorgeous and god damn it looked exactly like something from the b-roll.
I feel like the california looks better than most vehicles do in terms of aliasing?

Haven't unlocked that car yet but I've definitely noticed aliasing is worse on certain cars than others. Think it just has to do with their shape.

Navy Bean

I'm no expert at IT, but there's gotta be a huge difference of players on day 1 when compared to say day 60 (2 months into the games life). Of course everybody is going to try and connect but I can't see Sony buying new server equipment, extra bandwidth to cater for the enormous intial influx of players that will probably outweigh its actual population by a significant margin during most of Driveclub's online life.
That makes sense, but launch week is when the majority of sales are made. Word of mouth, good impressions, a demo, can do wonders for selling a game. Especially a new IP. Established franchises with a ton of guaranteed sales can afford a small blip (or even a large blip like Diablo 3 or Battlefield 4).

Iacobellis

I think the worst server blow-up I can remember is COD 4 over Christmas week the year it released. It was a shit-show and everybody was off work/school and ready to play. Anybody remember that? This is nowhere near that yet, but hopefully they get it together by this weekend.

You mean when Xbox Live was consistently working on and off for almost a month? That was bad. That was the year I got Xbox LIVE, too.

Aiii

So not worth it
So, I have a wheel and boy is this game amazing with that thing. For one, the in-game mimicks the wheel perfectly, meaning me turning the wheel even in the slightest does it 1:1 in the game. I cannot stress how great that is as it's normally really taking you out of the game when that movement doesn't match what you see on screen.

Other than that, the driving mechanic is amazingly well tuned, might not be perfect realism, but the braking, (manual) shifting and cornering is damn near perfect. I am really impressed with this.

The lack of loadtimes and the "just race" gameplay is perfect for me, I can see why some people might want a storyline in their racing game, but I'd rather just race, anyone holding off on buying this based on reviews might want to check their personal preference on what they actually want out of a racing game, because this one hits all the sweet spots for me personally.

That said, I have some black bars around my screen, is it normal for this game to not run fullscreen? I can't find a setting to change the size of the viewport, so I'm not sure why this is, anyone know?

Loudninja

So, I have a wheel and boy is this game amazing with that thing. For one, the in-game mimicks the wheel perfectly, meaning me turning the wheel even in the slightest does it 1:1 in the game. I cannot stress how great that is as it's normally really taking you out of the game when that movement doesn't match what you see on screen.

Other than that, the driving mechanic is amazingly well tuned, might not be perfect realism, but the braking, (manual) shifting and cornering is damn near perfect. I am really impressed with this.

The lack of loadtimes and the "just race" gameplay is perfect for me, I can see why some people might want a storyline in their racing game, but I'd rather just race, anyone holding off on buying this based on reviews might want to check their personal preference on what they actually want out of a racing game, because this one hits all the sweet spots for me personally.

That said, I have some black bars around my screen, is it normal for this game to not run fullscreen? I can't find a setting to change the size of the viewport, so I'm not sure why this is, anyone know?
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/settings/areasettings.html

People posted about this same issue in this topic :)

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
finally back from my timeout!

So what can I say.
This game man. THIS.GAME!

its an amazing amazing game in my opinion.

The driving for an araced style game feels fantastic! they absolutely nailed it for me!
Sense of Speed, oh yes, OH YES! in my vains, yes!
Graphics are awesome! Atmosphere is astounding, the "simulate everything" approach really paid off.
Sounds are also very good in my opinion although they could have given them a bit more punch still. but I havent driven the sports, super or hypercars yet, so theres that.
Menu is also well done, really digging that!

Only downside (and thats a huge one for me personally): No way for customizing right stick controlls whatsoever. THE Playstation Racing IP has throttle/break on right stick as Default, I really think they should have appreciated that.
Its a huge readjustment for me regarding Manual gearbox.

But I will adept.

All in all this game is a huge load of fun to me, and when they hopefully introduce private lobbies in due time the game will be a blast to Play online.

Hopefully they can sort the Server issues soon.

Also: What the hell is wrong with those Review scores? DC scoring lower then Need for Speed Rivals is just another nail in the coffin of gaming journalism. Yes they cant be compared directly, but seeing those are the only 2 cargames right now I think you can draw the comparison, and then, who in his right mind can say that he has more fun with the abomination that is Rivals? Really?
lol

Foshy

Can't wait to get home and play more
Also: Whjat teh hell is wrong with those Review scores? DC scoring lower then Need for Speed Rivals is just another nail in the coffin of gaming journalism. Yes they cant be compared directly, but seeing those are the only 2 cargames right now I think you can draw the comparison, and then, who in hos right mind can say that he has more fun with the abomination that is Rivals.
lol
rivals is open-world and has a story as opposed to soulless boreclub

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
rivals is open-world and has a story as opposed to soulless boreclub

yes Story in an racing game is what im looking for!
its critical to any game involving racing.
not

lets just look at the actual drinving (the actual critical part of a racing game). DC is mile and miles ahead of the drivbing model that rivals has on offer.

While practicing drifts on a circuit by myself I found that when you lay black rubber, it is there the next time you come around, and so is the next strip you leave on that same corner, and the next, and the next... and the donuts you do for fun just up the straightaway.

I don't know what the limit is. There must be one.

Jimrpg

That makes sense, but launch week is when the majority of sales are made. Word of mouth, good impressions, a demo, can do wonders for selling a game. Especially a new IP. Established franchises with a ton of guaranteed sales can afford a small blip (or even a large blip like Diablo 3 or Battlefield 4).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending them, i'm just saying in business everything is quantified, and I think they budgeted for 'X' amount of users on launch day and its greatly exceeded that, is my guess. It would be a business mistake to over budget.They are probably scrambling now to find server space for other games that they can use for Driveclub.

viveks86

HOLY SHITBALLS!

Just got 7852 on the Spykar drift!!! O.O

I'm sure a bunch of you got 5 digits or something obscene like that. Just a huge achievement given my skills! :D

23qwerty

While practicing drifts on a circuit by myself I found that when you lay black rubber, it is there the next time you come around, and so is the next strip you leave on that same corner, and the next, and the next... and the donuts you do for fun just up the straightaway.

Make the entire road black!
I wonder...

Semper88

Can anyone tell me if this game is a friends multiplayer only or also random matchmaking?

Don't have racing friends.. so if its with friends only i'm fucked.

Can anyone tell me if this game is a friends multiplayer only or also random matchmaking?

Don't have racing friends.. so if its with friends only i'm fucked.

The lobbies will match you up with randoms, if the servers ever come back :p

Fear not. Also - add DRIVECLUB-GAF to your PSN friends list and check the people who are friends with it. Hundreds of people to race with!

viveks86

Gotta use dem 8 GB GDDR5 no?

HOLY SHITBALLS!

Just got 7852 on the Spykar drift!!! O.O

I'm sure a bunch of you got 5 digits or something obscene like that. Just a huge achievement given my skills! :D

My bet few have done better (damn servers I want to see leaderboards), I suspect getting good drifting scores will end up in the FAQ. They are hard. You have to nail the drift AND keep the speed up, and if the exit of a drift segment isn't right then the speed segment falls flat..

chopstik

Banned
Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending them, i'm just saying in business everything is quantified, and I think they budgeted for 'X' amount of users on launch day and its greatly exceeded that, is my guess. It would be a business mistake to over budget.They are probably scrambling now to find server space for other games that they can use for Driveclub.

I think this is very logical. I'd say that this game has exceeded their (Sony, etc) sales expectations and now they are playing catch-up. It's good and bad.

they better get this sorted out by my next day off, and that's Friday. Get'er done.

Anybody know thee level do you have to rank your accolades to before you can add them to your car's design?

I have the Mastery trophy for maxxing out one accolade but when I go to add one to my car they're all locked. Are the servers needed for that too or am I just missing something?

And for those lucky few who have had connectivity, can you play any Tour events in co-op? As a team I mean? Or is that stuff purely single player? And if so, what options are there for team racing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom