• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cockpit view 4 life. And, without the HUD I kinda need to look over at the numbers and bars and gauges on the dash sometimes.

And why would you want to miss out on tea-time-fingers? Best hands-on-steering wheel action ever.

That and the directional fuzzy suede simulation action on the RUF's steering wheel is the graphical flourish of our time.

vpance

that's funny, I feel utterly useless trying to drive in third person

Cockpit has been mostly useless for me :| You're seated far back and it's harder to see the upcoming turns. For some reason I'm liking the 3rd person cam here, usually it feels laggy or disconnected to me in other racing games. Hood cam is the best tho, when you become more familiar with the track.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just played almost an hours worth (UK).

First impressions:-

- Online not working so can't level up
- Visually wasn't impressed the first few tracks, started getting better at Scotland. Aliasing is mixed bag - l need to play more to assess
- A tap of the handbrake allows for easy drifting - good fun
- Lighting is lovely, it can actually make it hard to see sometimes and that's really realistic
- Cockpit view feels too far away
- A.I seem aggressive, i'm sure l lost points being rammed
- The three downloadable cars won't download
- Engine sounds - not sure about these right now as i'm driving 4 pots engines
- I like the music and have enabled it in game to drown the drone of the 4 pot engines
- Fast loading
- When you go over the line the game freezes for 1 second or so - lack of polish l mean WTF
- Still downloading the rest so can't play much more now :(

Absolutely loving the game so far.

Graphics are gorgeous, soundtrack is ace, handling is AMAZING. Don't care what the reviews say this is the first racing game in ages that I actually enjoy (I don't normally play racing games as I'm rubbish at them).

Number45

I don't know how you people notice the graphics, I'm always too busy trying (and failing) not to hit stuff. :p

Played the first few events, all stars up to the second time trial (the rolling start one) and created my claret and blue retro paint job, with the number 45. I'm all set for tomorrow! I wish I could justify a seat/wheel, but I just don't have the room.

Anyone from UK actually managed to join online?The option is greyed for me since the first minute.
Nope. Didn't connect at all, but I'm not surprised as it's been hit hard all week and we've just added to the load.

Loudninja

Evo gave me fleeting hope by letting me play one multiplayer match and then disconnected me.
They said that will happen.
During the next 24hrs we are running essential diagnostics to help us improve the performance of the servers. This may disrupt online play for you when you do get connected.
https://www.facebook.com/driveclubofficial/posts/708027809281582

But it is a good i sign that people are finally able to play and even get online somewhat.

drotahorror

- When you go over the line the game freezes for 1 second or so - lack of polish l mean WTF
-

1 second is exaggerating. It does stutter pretty hard though once, after you cross the finish line. This was much worse in builds from last year. I'm sure there's a reasoning behind it, we just don't know what it is.

Loudninja

Just played almost an hours worth (UK).

First impressions:-

- Online not working so can't level up
- Visually wasn't impressed the first few tracks, started getting better at Scotland. Aliasing is mixed bag - l need to play more to assess
- A tap of the handbrake allows for easy drifting - good fun
- Lighting is lovely, it can actually make it hard to see sometimes and that's really realistic
- Cockpit view feels too far away
- A.I seem aggressive, i'm sure l lost points being rammed
- The three downloadable cars won't download
- Engine sounds - not sure about these right now as i'm driving 4 pots engines
- I like the music and have enabled it in game to drown the drone of the 4 pot engines
- Fast loading
- Still downloading the rest so can't play much more now :(
1 second is exaggerating. It does stutter pretty hard though once, after you cross the finish line. This was much worse in builds from last year. I'm sure there's a reasoning behind it, we just don't know what it is.
Its a bug they already know about it.

@tiron9o7 We've noticed that too, we're investigating. Think it was introduced with game update 1.02
https://twitter.com/Rushy33/status/520311391904088065

Number45

I wonder if it's trying to connect to the servers for leaderboard purposes?

Kane1345

This is my impression of the game so far:

reddwarf-kryten.gif

Hawk269

I wonder if it's trying to connect to the servers for leaderboard purposes?

In other racing games, that is when you get options for the replay. Perhaps, it is just a bug that happens due to replays not being implemented as of yet.

Is there a Gaf Driveclub Club?

Finally got online and got 2 races in so far, hoping the server gods let me stay on just a bit longer haha.

I'm already fucking hooked to multiplayer, this shit is so fucking fun.

TheBear

Yep, and for the very first time in these games I find myself judging cars by their instrumentation.

Turning off the minimap especially is really helpful. The corner markings with flags etc. are actually a lot more helpful for braker markers then map is. I do like to have timing though. It would be nice if you could select which parts of the HUD you want to keep rather than just blanking out the lot.

Does anyone know what the coloured smoke signifies?

Server issues aside, god damn this is the most fun I've had on a racer since PG4.

It ticks a lot of the boxes for me, sense of speed, no tuning nonsense, a limited but varied car selection where I'm not continually scrolling to pick a vehicle. The scenery is just fantastic too.

Man all that but for me what impressed me the most was the AI... I was not expecting that, so aggressive and full of purpose in the track.. I really dig to race with these motherfu... ;) And the handling is top notch to.. Each car have is own personality.. To master them all it will take me ages.. Absolutely great and challenging game.. Imagine when we can go online...

I just got so hype to play this after trying to push myself to play Destiny today. I really have been craving a good arcade racer. I know this has some Sim features too so I am still holding out for the PS+ edition but man I'm itching to just drop those $50 bucks and DL it noaw. Playing Mario Kart to fight the impulse urge. Can't wait for those visuals to be licked up by my eyes. Wanted to get GT 5/6 but talked myself out of it. They're pretty but too stiff. This looks right up my alley.

On the performance cars now, somehow doing better in hudless cockpit view as I guess I pay more attention to the car and the track instead of extraneous stuff. I hope online has an option to match people only in the cockpit view as well, but I doubt it.

le-seb

Turning off the minimap especially is really helpful. The corner markings with flags etc. are actually a lot more helpful for braker markers then map is. I do like to have timing though. It would be nice if you could select which parts of the HUD you want to keep rather than just blanking out the lot.
I've just started playing hudless in dashcam view, and I miss a few indications, also, like proximity warnings and speed/gear (except with this BMW car that has a proper HUD).
It'd be lovely to select precisely what we want to see or not.

Does anyone know what the coloured smoke signifies?
~~Hasan~~ seems to have somewhat decoded the matrix:
You will see 3 type of colored smoke while you race. Blue, green and yellow. One is for speed, one for drifting and other to stay on track for specific period from A to B points. So if u lost in the race and no longer u can come back to the top, you can do these and get points and fame. I guess it's some sort of a way to encourage you not to quite the game after the first fuck up.

viveks86

Cockpit view 4 life. And, without the HUD I kinda need to look over at the numbers and bars and gauges on the dash sometimes.

And why would you want to miss out on tea-time-fingers? Best hands-on-steering wheel action ever.

That and the directional fuzzy suede simulation action on the RUF's steering wheel is the graphical flourish of our time.

I know. I just can't go back to any other view anymore! The only time I switch the HUD on is for drift challenges, since I have no clue how many points I'm racking up otherwise.

Played this for the last 2 hours and OMG i am absolutely loving it so far. Some of the best racing in a car game for a while imo. I just wish the online was working...

This is what I wanted. A return to proper racing. Console racers lost their way last gen.

edit: the pretties are nice but I prefer the gameplay and I would trade for 60fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom