• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT3| Evolved

Shaneus

Driveclub's beauty is in that it's not an open world racer with tuning etc. Everyone drives on the same circuits work the same specced cars, so you can always compete knowing it's an even playing field. It's pure skill based driving, not relying on shortcuts or running/car mods.

If it was anything else, it would just be another racer. But it's not, it's DRIVECLUB.

Driveclub's beauty is in that it's not an open world racer with tuning etc. Everyone drives on the same circuits work the same specced cars, so you can always compete knowing it's an even playing field. It's pure skill based driving, not relying on shortcuts or running/car mods.

If it was anything else, it would just be another racer. But it's not, it's DRIVECLUB.

My feelings exactly bud :)

Makikou

Yeah, I really like Forza Horizon 3 but it annoys me so much in co-op/online play that you end up having vast power differences between cars..

T_Exige

Still don't understand why Sony was so stupid to close this studio. This game has/had so much potential. Still not sure I will buy the VR version.

It was my N°1 car game, so many great things ...

Maybe controversial to say, but this is also one of the reasons I bought an Xbox One S last week, hunger for more car content that GT Sport and now DriveClub won't deliver. (at least not in 2016)

Still don't understand why Sony was so stupid to close this studio. This game has/had so much potential. Still not sure I will buy the VR version.

Maybe controversial to say, but this is also one of the reasons I bought an Xbox One S last week, hunger for more car content that GT Sport and now DriveClub won't deliver. (at least not in 2016)

Sony can be really annoying at times. I can't shell out $299 for a console just for a racing game(Not really interested in the other games Xbox has) but I a can understand why some ppl do.

cyber_ninja

Makes two of us. I bought an xbox for the same reason as you.

For the original game? Source?

dcnewtracksj4lj4.png

https://twitter.com/Rushy33/status/766282488763322369?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

P.S.: Can anyone tell me how to post tweets on GAF without having to screenshot them?

tbf, we don't actually know when they're coming to OG, but I'd like to think they'll show up the same day as DCVR.

Oh, i see. True, but i like to think positively. :)
After months of DC abstinence for various reasons (being bummed out after Evo getting shuttered and the subsequent lack of updates, Uncharted 4 mp), i've put in a 2 hour session today in anticipation of the new tracks and it's still as awesome as ever. It's so amazing to barrel through these lush natural landscapes, i still can't believe some people tried to knock the tracks for being sterile, what a load of BS. Also, for the first time ever i've put on the music during racing, and i have to say it actually works really well. I don't even listen to this genre of music, but this is good stuff.

And yes, it's tragic that DC might never get the Pro treatment (just let them add better AA and AF and it's golden, come on Sony), but that won't stop me from cherishing this minor miracle of Evo's presumably final work on the original game actually getting released, and for free too. I still remember that teased, but ultimately silently scrapped bonus track for Motorstorm: Apocalypse, which seemed to be inspired by Bullit. ;(

Doesn't look like anyone has claimed the Driveclub VR OT yet - anyone fancy the job? Or do we just carry on in here? I think a combined OT would probably work pretty well with the similarities / shared assets.

Auctopus

Doesn't look like anyone has claimed the Driveclub VR OT yet - anyone fancy the job? Or do we just carry on in here? I think a combined OT would probably work pretty well with the similarities / shared assets.

I can stitch one together from this thread? How long do I have?

I wonder if they'll cut out crashes in VR in favor of a fade to white, like in DC Bikes.

Dark, the digital foundry guy said he crashed the car a few times in the demo he played to see what happened and there wasn't any fade to white or anything - said it gave you a bit of a lurch too which was actually quite cool (but could cause some peeps to upchuck I guess).

I can stitch one together from this thread? How long do I have?

It's an October 13th release, same as psvr so you have a week :)

Dark, the digital foundry guy said he crashed the car a few times in the demo he played to see what happened and there wasn't any fade to white or anything - said it gave you a bit of a lurch too which was actually quite cool (but could cause some peeps to upchuck I guess).

I'm pretty sure i would be one of them, i'm prone to motion sickness in games. I'm not getting a PS VR for the time being, but i'm still looking forward to impressions from you guys. Hopefully there will be some demo stations near me, i'd still like to try the thing.

I'm pretty sure i would be one of them, i'm prone to motion sickness in games. I'm not getting a PS VR for the time being, but i'm still looking forward to impressions from you guys. Hopefully there will be some demo stations near me, i'd still like to try the thing.

I've been looking forward to this thing so long I really hope it doesn't get me like that. I'm not prone to motion sickness but knowing my bloody luck vr won't agree with me at all!

I really want to try the bikes out in cinema (non vr) mode - doing it on a telly in first person mode scared the crap out of me so I think this would be incredible!

https://youtu.be/vqp1lVEKeQk

Goldrusher

I've been looking forward to this thing so long I really hope it doesn't get me like that. I'm not prone to motion sickness but knowing my bloody luck vr won't agree with me at all!
You'll be fine.

Just don't go drifting like a mad man in chase cam mode, and following the car with your head like this...

tenor.gif

...that started to make me feel a little queasy.

krioto

The recent double fame event got me back into DC - back to playing to daily! And now I learn there are new tracks coming!!!!!!!!

farmerboy

Yeah yeah, us farming folk are used to gently chugging along on our tractors. Can't stomach all the fancy toys you city slickers enjoy. Hell I can't even fit the PSVR unit over my straw hat.

Yeah yeah, us farming folk are used to gently chugging along on our tractors. Can't stomach all the fancy toys you city slickers enjoy. Hell I can't even fit the PSVR unit over my straw hat.

Haha maybe not but you did just make me laugh out loud whilst walking my dogs, from the other side of the world :)

Bouniter

Oh wow fantastic to see the new tracks coming to us and great to see 2 Driveclub threads on the first page.

Game just keeps on giving.

membran

I just stumbled across this early DriveClub VR Demo Footage on Youtube.

Apparently, it's from the PSVR demo disc/download. Haven't seen it posted here. Still no reviews to be found for the game (apart from that DigitalFoundry Hype-Preview from August), when does the review embargo end?

I've been racing in the PC VR sims (AC/iRacing/Dirt Rally/iRacing/pCars/LFS) with the (now space-warp-enabled) Rift and wheel the last couple of days and it's been a blast. So much more control over the car! Racing really is one of the genres fit for VR out of the box, the only downside is that you tend to notice the Rift's Screen Door Effect because the eyes often focus on a fixed point while racing (so while PSVR may have a lower resolution and more aliasing, its lesser SDE due to its RGB display might be a huge plus in racing games).

But I'd really like to know if this statement from DigitalFoundry's Hands-On preview holds any water:

Then we look out across the track - yes, the fidelity of the PSVR headset is certainly a step down from the Rift or Vive, but it quickly shoots to the back of your mind once you hit the accelerator. The weight of the car and the way this is communicated within the game gives it a feeling that genuinely took me by surprise. It feels supremely natural and really gives the impression that you're sitting in a car. I've spent a lot of time with some of the best PC VR racers and the virtual cockpit always felt 'off', a driving 'uncanny valley' of sorts, in a way that DriveClub does not.

I mean, DriveClub VR is more of an arcade racer, whereas the PC VR racing games are more on the sim side of things, so it's probably hard to compare. Though you can augment those with mods for more arcady-feel. For example, here's footage of me driving Assetto Corsa's Nordschleife in a modded-in Red Bull X2010. It's one of the most arcade-y racing experiences I've had in a long while. :) It's only time trialing, though. The AI can't handle the car. Video's not sped up, but is a bit choppy due to a 90fps framerate being recorded at 60fps.
And I can do stuff in Dirt Rally VR (ignore that way too high gamma setting, was trying out stuff at the time) that I just can't reproduce when playing on the TV, and it doesn't feel like "driving uncanny valley" to me in VR.

DriveClub VR is the one game I might buy the PSVR (and a PS4) for, if it turns out to be good. :)

Hopefully I'll enjoy Driveclub VR but after my awful demo experience at EGX I don't have my hopes up. At least the game comes with the demo disc that comes with the headset, so everyone can give it another go before they buy.

On the brightside though, I do get motion sick / car sick but I didn't get any motion sickness from any of the games I played on PS VR. It just didn't do that to me.

Hi, I hope someone can help me.

Since today I'm not able to start Driveclub VR anymore. It has a lock on it and says that the license has expired and I need to buy it again. But how is that even possible? I have all DLCs, the bikes expansion and the platin trophy. I tried restarting my ps4 and to restore all licenses via the settings, but nothing worked. I'm always getting redirected to the store and have to buy the ps+ upgrade for 14,99€. Recently my PS+ expired, but I renewed the subscription.

has anybody an advice for me? I'm currently waiting on the sony support hotline and have to wait 30 minutes :(

Top Bottom