• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS Hater Changes Mind

Lack of competition? How so? In the worst case, the only real negative is somewhat longer console life spans, which ain't so good for the graphics set.

As for competition, the software makers would be competing with each other on the same platform.

Besides the additional hardware taking up shelf space, I hafta buy a zillion additional controllers, memory cards, and peripherals. I'd like ONE CONSOLE under my TV, just like I have ONE DVD player.

One True Console is a trap.

There would be ZERO reason to ever innovate or expand the hardware.

We would have the same damn system for 10years. Like the original Gameboy. And no one wants the same tech for 10 years.

Give me 2-3 consoles every gen!

human5892

Queen of Denmark
krypt0nian said:
And no one wants the same tech for 10 years.
If it means only having to buy one damn machine to play all the damn games: I DO.

I'm sure we could improve movie-watching technology every five years if we really wanted to, and have a bunch of different formats out there while we're at it, but what sense would that make when your favorite movie comes out on a format you don't have? This is what the gaming industry is like right now. It's just stupid.

1) I think every hardware maker would agree on a one-console future.

2) They just want their console to be the one.

3) Anyway, it's not going to happen until we reach a point where it's no longer possible to introduce new, more powerful game systems every few years. As long as somebody can come along and compete technologically, there are going to be multiple systems.

5) On the evolutionary scale, the PS2 isn't a DVD player. It's a piece of tin foil wrapped around a paper cylinder.

human5892 said:
If it means only having to buy one damn machine to play all the damn games: I DO.

I'm sure we could improve movie-watching technology every five years if we really wanted to, and have a bunch of different formats out there while we're at it, but what sense would that make when your favorite movie comes out on a format you don't have? This is what the gaming industry is like right now. It's just stupid.

I'll take technical progress, thank you. Money is not a factor. I have a job. :)

belgurdo

Banned
krypt0nian said:
I'll take technical progress, thank you. Money is not a factor. I have a job. :)

Me too. Fuck developers getting lazy/disappearing because the tech won't advance like other industries

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Drinky Crow said:
Lack of competition? How so? In the worst case, the only real negative is somewhat longer console life spans, which ain't so good for the graphics set.

As for competition, the software makers would be competing with each other on the same platform.

Besides the additional hardware taking up shelf space, I hafta buy a zillion additional controllers, memory cards, and peripherals. I'd like ONE CONSOLE under my TV, just like I have ONE DVD player.
I can sympathize with you if you don't wish to spend money on multiple systems, but you aren't truly grasping what it would mean to have no competition among the consoles. It wouldn't be like only having one DVD standard. DVD isn't what limits how elaborate a movie can be. CD isn't what limits how elaborate an album can be. It is the musicians and filmmakers and the tools they have to use. It would be like if we were still stuck back in the sparklers sticking out of a cardboard box for a spaceship effect days. it would be like if we were still playing acoustic guitars and organs as our only means of music. it would be like if computers never existed to create fx for either.

innovating consoles let us go from Combat to Kombat. would you really be happy if we were still playing 2600 games, and that was all we had because Atari had no reason to create a new console because the licensing money they saw from games was good enough for them?

and don't kid yourself.. before you insist that Atari would develop a new console on their own, don't for a second think that the R&D costs and initial losses on hardware are lower than the licensing fees they would see by continued support of an old platform. The only reason Sony is looking at making a PS3 is because if they don't Nintendo and Microsoft will kill sony's revenue from PS2 licensing in 2 years.

krypt0nian said:

I'm starting to save for a place. So it is a factor. Nice places don't come cheap. I don't want to be 60, living in a so-so dump surrounded by games/consoles that have become passe/

borghe

TheGreenGiant said:
I'm starting to save for a place. So it is a factor. Nice places don't come cheap. I don't want to be 60, living in a so-so dump surrounded by games/consoles that have become passe/
well technically if you lived in a so-so dump your consoles should be the newest and best.. :lol

I have no idea where the OFFIZAL DS TOPIC went, so I post here.

The DS.... It sucks. Well no. I stopped by EB today just to play it for a bit and see how I like it... Ugh. I tried to play MPH for a while, but that was just awful. I got stuck with the Map = Top, View = Touch layout, and I couldn't use it at all. It was bloody awful. At first I kept trying to use the + and buttons as a normal fps, but that was no dice. I mean, I knew that you use the touch thing as a look and fire, but I couldn't stop myself from trying to use the bottuns. It's just the most clashing thing in the world. Furthermore, after I grabbed the stylus and forced myself to adapt, I couldn't hit anything. I'd have to fire ten shots just to hit one metroid, out of like twenty. Plus I kept running into things and couldn't swivel fast at all. I just had an absolutely terrible few minutes with it.

Plus the lighting was terrible, I couldn't see anything. The intro cinema seemed good, and the sound was pretty great. Otherwise DS NEUTRAL CHANGES MIND.

Like I said before the DS isn't for lightweights. It's a somewhat advanced learning curve. So expect to hear alot of complaints about "bad controls" from people who just suck at it.

Soul4ger

Son of Godzilla said:
I have no idea where the OFFIZAL DS TOPIC went, so I post here.

The DS.... It sucks. Well no. I stopped by EB today just to play it for a bit and see how I like it... Ugh. I tried to play MPH for a while, but that was just awful. I got stuck with the Map = Top, View = Touch layout, and I couldn't use it at all. It was bloody awful. At first I kept trying to use the + and buttons as a normal fps, but that was no dice. I mean, I knew that you use the touch thing as a look and fire, but I couldn't stop myself from trying to use the bottuns. It's just the most clashing thing in the world. Furthermore, after I grabbed the stylus and forced myself to adapt, I couldn't hit anything. I'd have to fire ten shots just to hit one metroid, out of like twenty. Plus I kept running into things and couldn't swivel fast at all. I just had an absolutely terrible few minutes with it.

Plus the lighting was terrible, I couldn't see anything. The intro cinema seemed good, and the sound was pretty great. Otherwise DS NEUTRAL CHANGES MIND.

Just to maybe make you neutral again... You played it in the worst possible way. You should switched the controls. You know, in Options.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I think a lot of folks would approve of one console... it's just that no one can agree on the platform.

Oh well. Perhaps we'll have a Nintendo/Sony/Etc. standard agreed on in about 10 years... although Sony would have the most to lose from any such thing.

Soul4ger said:
Just to maybe make you neutral again... You played it in the worst possible way. You should switched the controls. You know, in Options.

I pressed every little black button I could find and didn't see anything labeled options.

borghe

they are there.. with the traditional mouselook setup it handles EXACTLY like mouse/keyboard.. dpad (or action buttons) as awsd, touchpad as mouse, and shoulder button as trigger. double tap touch screen to jump.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
DS was aiight when I tried it out (Metroid)... The gameplay was real basic (enter room, clear enemies, leave room, rinse, repeat), but I'm guessing that's because of the demo factor.

As far as handhelds go, the screen was big enough (I never really had to look at the bottom one for anything). I wonder if the PSP will make it hard to go back to it since it's going to be so much bigger and clearer.

borghe

DavidDayton said:
I think a lot of folks would approve of one console... it's just that no one can agree on the platform.

Oh well. Perhaps we'll have a Nintendo/Sony/Etc. standard agreed on in about 10 years... although Sony would have the most to lose from any such thing.
they will never agree on a standard.. until the hardware is no longer the limiting factor but the tools used to create the software, there will ALWAYS need to be innovation, and thus multiple systems and release cycles and competition.

I fully believe you guys want one console.. now imagine having one console (like one TV standard) and it lasts for say..... 25 years (black and white tv) or 40 years (color tv). do you really want to be playing PS2 level games (or even PS3 level games) for the next 15-20 years?

Pellham

Banned
we're heading towards a one console world, just have to wait another generation... I'd place most of the blame on Microsoft for trying to take a piece of the market. Nintendo is already catering to a niche market so it's only a matter of time before they decide to support Sony. (By one world console, I am imagining a single game standard, but the various manufacturers might try to offer their own different systems with different features).

Oh on topic, I want a DS but don't want to get one until FFIII or Advance Wars comes out for it.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
borghe said:
they will never agree on a standard.. until the hardware is no longer the limiting factor but the tools used to create the software, there will ALWAYS need to be innovation, and thus multiple systems and release cycles and competition.

Diminishing returns will help to bring one.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Pellham said:
we're heading towards a one console world, just have to wait another generation... I'd place most of the blame on Microsoft for trying to take a piece of the market. Nintendo is already catering to a niche market so it's only a matter of time before they decide to support Sony. (By one world console, I am imagining a single game standard, but the various manufacturers might try to offer their own different systems with different features).

Oh on topic, I want a DS but don't want to get one until FFIII or Advance Wars comes out for it.

Nope, it looks as though Microsoft is going to gain marketshare next gen, so they're not going anywhere. You also aren't factoring in other companies that try their hand in the home console biz. There is never going to be one console because the market is such a competitive one.

deadlifter said:
Nope, it looks as though Microsoft is going to gain marketshare next gen, so they're not going anywhere. You also aren't factoring in other companies that try their hand in the home console biz. There is never going to be one console because the market is such a competitive one.

And thank the Allknowing Love beast for that! One True Console (OTC) followers are scary. Like the Moonies of Videogames.

Top Bottom