• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS sleeve art, Japan style

Jonnyram

img10071016280.gif

img10071028119.jpeg

img10071028137.jpeg

img10071028140.jpeg

img10071028122.jpeg

img10071028134.jpeg

img10071028125.jpeg

img10071028128.jpeg

img10071028145.jpeg

img10071028131.jpeg

img10071028116.jpeg

I HAVE FIVE OF YOU PREORDERED

Dean from NOM UK doesn't like Band Brothers, but what does he know? He didn't like Donkey Konga...

Meier

Sawaru Made In Wario's boxart is incredible. If I do buy a DS at launch, I'll likely import it since even if it has a planned US release, its date is up in the air.

FnordChan

I don't plan on buying a DS...but that doesn't mean I won't bust some heads if Zoo Keeper doesn't come out in the US. Freakin' awesome.

Also, two words: MAHJONG POWER!

FnordChan

jarrod

Banned
megateto said:
Is this Mizuguchi's DS game?

What does it say?

I want a t-shirt with that. Or with the Wario sleeve.
No it's Intuitive Stroke, a puzzle game developed by Mitchell (usually an arcade developer, usually works with Capcom) and published by Nintendo. It'll be called On-Line Puzzle for the US release.

duckroll

FortNinety said:
What does it say exactly?

The doctor's name is Tendo Dokuta with 4 kanji characters. The "Tendo" kanji are the same kanji as the ones used in Nintendo. So the guy (who is a doctor in the game) has a name which is also a pun of Nintendo Doctor. It's really really lame and painful. :)

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Why isn't Wario releasing at launch in the US? :( No freakin' excuse for that! >_<

jarrod

Banned
MrCheez said:
Why isn't Wario releasing at launch in the US? :( No freakin' excuse for that! >_<
Probably to allow Sega's similarly playing Feel the Magic to eat up more launch period sales. NOA seems to be holding back so 3rd party games get more a chance imo, they copuld really have Pokemon Dash, Wario Ware DS, Jam with the Band and One-Line Puzzle at US launch if they wanted.

jarrod said:
Probably to allow Sega's similarly playing Feel the Magic to eat up more launch period sales. NOA seems to be holding back so 3rd party games get more a chance imo, they copuld really have Pokemon Dash, Wario Ware DS, Jam with the Band and One-Line Puzzle at US launch if they wanted.
Bingo.

Chittagong

Gold Member
jarrod said:

Actually I think they still haven't integrated the simultaneous EFIGS localization process into their overall development process and with the DS they are on tight schedules, so they can't make it.

jarrod

Banned
Chittagong said:
Actually I think they still haven't integrated the simultaneous EFIGS localization process into their overall development process and with the DS they are on tight schedules, so they can't make it.
I dunno... how much localization effort would One-Line Puzzle really take?

ferricide

Kobun Heat said:
Dean from NOM UK doesn't like Band Brothers, but what does he know? He didn't like Donkey Konga...
i don't like it, either. if it weren't for the wireless co-op i think it wouldn't be worth the media it's printed on.

callous

What is that surgeon game? If it involves operating on people with the stylo, which is the first thought that comes to mind, I want it!

Squeak

john2kx said:
the mario 64 boxart has too much empty space.
That's exactly what makes the jap box look better than the US/EU one, space!

Liberal use of space is one of the factors making Japanese layout and graphic design much more interesting than western.
It seems as though western designers are reasoning "we’ve paid for all this space, and now we are goddammed going to cram it all with stuff!".

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Just wondering, will Nintendo be using dvd like cases or will they still use the cheap cardboard boxes?

john2kx

Squeak said:

Liberal use of space is one of the factors making Japanese layout and graphic design much more interesting than western.
It seems as though western designers are reasoning "we’ve paid for all this space, and now we are goddammed going to cram it all with stuff!".

I disagree.. I think the main reason jap boxart is generally preferred over US boxart is because they're more likely to use original artwork from the game.. While in the meantime we're stuck with joke-worthy cover designs..

i don't think it has to do with space, generally... i just think in this case, they made a poor decision regarding space on the cover.. it's just too zoomed out.

ferricide

john2kx said:
I disagree.. I think the main reason jap boxart is generally preferred over US boxart is because they're more likely to use original artwork from the game.. While in the meantime we're stuck with joke-worthy cover designs..
nah. we rarely have to deal with that, these days.

the problem is that the graphic design on US games is often more obvious and basic because they're just trying to stand out at retail and appeal to the lowest common denominator. not that japanese consumers are all that discerning, really, but they seem to have a finer appreciation for subtle detail. some europaen packaging is hot, too. like the ltd. ed. of onimusha 3 i saw when i was last in the UK.

i'd say that graphic design in general is better in japan and europe, although japanese magazines tend to look like shit, still.

WarPig

Yeh. The Japanese have good graphic design, but weak publication design. They seem to love stuffing as many fiddly bits of content as a page can hold into all the corners.

I mean, I can see why Famitsu looks how it does, 'cuz they've got a week to produce the fucker, but why monthly mags have to follow such a similar style I'm not sure.

DFS.

Squeak said:

100% true. Take a look at any Japanese design book and you'll see that this is correct.

Top Bottom