• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS Video - Puppy Times is Killer App

tt_deeb

I've seen the video too - I was really impressed. Didn't they mention in a preview you can yell commands into the mic?

MrparisSM

Banned
haha, looks pretty cool. I like how you can throw stuff and they'll bring it back to you. I'm really curious to see how much variety they can pack into this title. But if they market this right, it could truely be a HUGE thing amoung kids, women, and animal lovers? I would guess.

shuri

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
wow that is something! One of the few games that DS is really innovative.

Innovative? From the video, This is just a 3D version of Dogz with a stylus. Dogz was a very popular pc game a few years ago where you would take care of a dog (you had different breeds, rooms to play with him). You could pet it, groom it, throw freebees at it, and it would pick it up and bring it back to you. You had to feed him and take care of him also.

screenshots of the various Dogz games.

it_portal_pic_9255.jpg

pc_dogz5_screen3_b.gif

15210.gif

15212.gif

I only tried the first Dogz game on my little cousin's pc years ago (those screenshots are from Dogz 5); the first one was "more realistic" and didnt have the fantasy stuff.

So much for innovation

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Speevy said:
That's not working for me. I guess I'll keep trying...
Unfortunately the direct download link does not work anymore outside France (and not aol either). If you log in on the site you can download directly from my main server where there is no limitation (but not a lot of bandwidth so I have to limit this to logged in people only)

So the DS is just Nintendo's answer to the Eyetoy for the GBA, without the benefit of a cardiovascular workout? :/

Can't wait to trade in my GBAsp for a PSP. Screw you Nintendo.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
mumu said:
I'm outside france and the link still works for me.
Ho ? That's interesting to know. What's your ISP ?
The link should only work is there is a direct peering between your ISP and the host of the server (ovh.net in france)

puck1337

That game looks amazing. Is there an option to have your dogs play with other players' dogs? Such as some kind of virtual park?

Speevy

Banned
I registered an account but I still can't download. That IGN link had the Puppy Time footage you guys are referring to, right? I guess I can check the snipits of other DS games from other sources. THanks.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Speevy said:
I registered an account but I still can't download. That IGN link had the Puppy Time footage you guys are referring to, right? I guess I can check the snipits of other DS games from other sources. THanks.
Do you see both direct download links ? The second one should definitely work correctly.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Speevy said:
Okay, got it. The link just didn't work the first time for some reason.
Yeah, if you got an error message in french that was because I had forgotten to update the site download system from the development version.

It's official: jaded Nintendo fans hate gaming.

"well, all the good REAL games are on THOSE OTHER consoles now; let's hype stylus-enabled family-friendly shovelware!"

Amir0x

Banned
I'm sorry but I don't want to spend 30 bucks on an enhanced giga pet.

Seriously though, I don't exactly think this is what will sell a system. It's a game where the point is to take care of a dog in virtuapet type situation. If it DOES sell systems, it's not going to be the crowd Nintendo wanted with its whole "Touching is Good" campaign.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Amir0x said:
If it DOES sell systems, it's not going to be the crowd Nintendo wanted with its whole "Touching is Good" campaign.
That whole damn campaign is utterly misguided, because the Nintendo DS does not have any games that even remotely match the attitude projected in the print ads and commercials (unless you count that singles flirting game, which most likely won't be played by that demographic anyway due to its cartoonish nature).

I think the DS has potential and I'm not trying to put it down, but its ad campaign is just silly.

Drinky Crow said:
It's official: jaded Nintendo fans hate gaming.

"well, all the good REAL games are on THOSE OTHER consoles now; let's hype stylus-enabled family-friendly shovelware!"

:lol :lol :lol

IAWTP mostly for PT. Never understood the OMGness of the game. c-

There's just something fundamentally tragic about a DS fanboy, sitting by himself in a darkened dorm room, stroking polygonal virtual puppies with a stylus.

"you little guys love me, don't you? I'm gonna name you Link and you Zelda, and we'll be the beeeeest of friiiiieeeeends..."

lexi

Banned
Seriously though, I don't exactly think this is what will sell a system.

:lol Every 6-15 year old girl is going to want it, and that is not an understatement.

I've been saying for months that Puppy Times is the DS's biggest killer app, and I'm eagerly awaiting to be proven correct.

Amir0x

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
There's just something fundamentally tragic about a DS fanboy, sitting by himself in a darkened dorm room, stroking polygonal virtual puppies with a stylus.

"you little guys love me, don't you? I'm gonna name you Link and you Zelda, and we'll be the beeeeest of friiiiieeeeends..."

Ok, I'm a DS fan but I found that hilarious. :lol

human5892 said:
That whole damn campaign is utterly misguided, because the Nintendo DS does not have any games that even remotely match the attitude projected in the print ads and commercials (unless you count that singles flirting game, which most likely won't be played by that demographic anyway due to its cartoonish nature).

I think the DS has potential and I'm not trying to put it down, but its ad campaign is just silly.

I agree, which is why Nintendo needs to get the games to back up the marketing campaign. Every casual gamer is going to see NINTENDOGS (Puppy Time) and say "What. The... Screw that thing."

lockii said:
:lol Every 6-15 year old girl is going to want it, and that is not an understatement.

I've been saying for months that Puppy Times is the DS's biggest killer app, and I'm eagerly awaiting to be proven correct.

There's already been a game similar to this on the PS2 (Dog Station) and it didn't sell well at all.

That seems to ring true of every Nintendo advertisement I've seen this generation. Talking out of both sides of their mouth.

"We're not kiddy!"

Then they advertise Donkey Konga with a bunch of "cool looking" 20 somethings playing it. Hey Nintendo, how about a little honesty and showing that same group FUCKING CRINGING when Diddy Kong's Ditties comes up in random play mode?

Nintendo doesn't know what in the hell it wants to be outside of a portable market monopolizing behemoth. I do hope Sony delivers a suitable eviction notice with the PSP.

I'm under no illusion the PSP will catch up to Nintendo's installed GBA userbase, I do believe creating a strong non-Nintendo portable franchise will have a lasting effect on future portables.

Can't wait for PSP Greatest Hits. It's gonna be sweet.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Judging by this thread, it's official:

People Always Need a Reason to Bitch About Nintendo™

belgurdo

Banned
Drinky Crow said:

Shit, you just made my day. :lol

Top Bottom