• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS / Wii Online Final Days | Get in and play!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
iw0whIHbhYEVi.gif
ibq574xexaRkwW.jpg

November 2005 - May 2014

Friend Codes? WEP? USB Dongles? In the case of the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection those days are nearly at an end! Why? Because it's going offline in 2 weeks! Lotsa games on these two systems had online hooks whether it be leaderboards, multi-player, or even DLC! But it'll soon be all for naught! What're ya waiting around for? Grab those friend codes, play with GAFers, an get that online scratch outta your system before its to late!

Infos borrowed from the announcement thread:
NCL has announced the end of the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection for its Wii & DS consoles & games in Japan as of 11PM on May 20th, 2014.

JP: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/information/2014/0227.html
AU: http://www.nintendo.com.au/termination-of-nintendo-wi-fi-connection
US: http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/vyWpoM6CBIe6FjW8NIY7bvzOrgBURhzw

- Poké Zone
ibjXOATC0kMbDG.jpg

it6EZXUqXxi3s.jpg

• Pokémon Battle Revolution, Black, Black 2, Diamond, HeartGold
• Pearl, Platinum, SoulSilver, White, White 2

idZ6hkU2QqD63.png
- superior silver is GAF approved
Online Battling & Trades aren't the only thing to do using wifi connection in these games! Create themed PC Boxes and upload them to the GTS, or view other peoples ones! Similarly ya can dress up Pokémon, take their pictures and upload/view ones other people put up! Don't forget the Wi-Fi Plaza and its multi-player mini-games! Hit up the World Tournament to download and challenge real-life WT player teams! Lastly, co-op your way through some Battle Tower/Frontier/Subway challenges!

- Challenger Approaching
iranxfNL4Wl0J.jpg

• Jump Super / Ultimate Stars
• Super Smash Brothers Brawl
• Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars

iMzjrTGG3xmkO.jpg
- "Who said I was still on the moon?"
No items. No characters. No sound effects. Online competition for these is nearing its final destination! Online fighting, enough said. I hear the opponent known as Lag is OP.

- Kart Korner
iZmqrVeCVgKI5.jpg

• Diddy Kong Racing DS
• Mario Kart DS
• Mario Kart Wii

iPvtfyb0wwf6z.jpg
- "u mad?"
Race, battle, expand dong, and race some more! Just one lil question: How does snaking make you feel?

- The Roost
ibs2mFEHbswNQ5.jpg

• Animal Crossing: Wild World
• Animal Crossing: City Folk

iVFGTkiTGE89P.jpg
- "Mayor, you've been working so hard lately! Why not take a little vacation and visit some other towns?"
...said towns may happen ta be desert wastelands, full of weeds, bedheads, an all the villagers ya ever knew an loved replaced by strange new ones. Send out your final note-in-a-bottle messages into the digital sea! Enjoy boiling hot coffee with friends! Aim to strike it rich before the Stalk Market collapses!

- Fire Away
ibgd4ccFnfTSLD.jpg

• Call of Duty (various)
• Goldeneye 007

ixBSPFBHdVMJT.jpg
<- ooo shiny
Forget waggle, just point & shoot! Get all mainstream an up to date with COD or try ta relive some N64-era nostalgia!

- Loot Grinding
iJvbWbZuj1p9e.jpg

&#8226; Phantasy Star Ø
&#8226; The Last Story

il1RatVxXv5Kq.jpg
<- best mag just sayin'
Pick up some party members an get out there in search of rares! If you're feeling less then friendly, TLS has a deathmatch mode! Or take it nice an easy in PSØ and enjoy Segac's version of chatting, doodling on the touchscreen!

- Puzzle Pieces
ibd101hUUlujZJ.jpg

&#8226; Planet Puzzle League
&#8226; Tetris DS

iSfr7F9nNuKRv.jpg
- nostalgia sells!
Some argue these are top tier puzzlers! These got your usual versus modes chock full of screen filling craziness. btw: Touch Generations - never forget!

- Prime Gaiden
ij30de6M3JvI3.jpg

&#8226; Metroid Prime Hunters

id9XXDYuTyKfe.png
- "At least I'm not a pinball!"
Quaketroid aka MPH gots wifi versus for all yours touchscreen shooting needs! Strap-on your thumbpad and frag some peeps! No babys allowed.

- War Room
iZUVJaw3C6kBN.jpg
idKn92Zv7ya56.jpg

&#8226; Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
&#8226; Battalion Wars 2

ikEyMv45nB6ON.png
- "As mayor, I believe I speak for the people when I say that you should get out of here and go fight amongst your friends."
Who needs strategy when you or your opponent can drop connection? Check out the versus mode! Against random players your options'll be limited but with a friend they're all available! Upload custom maps you've created and download some random or top rated ones! An if you're feeling friendly, Battalion Wars 2 has some co-op stuff!

- Odd Ends
ij0I1jhbersDv.jpg

&#8226; Clubhouse Games
&#8226; Fishing Resort
&#8226; Fortune Street

ibsK4sTpNBitfj.jpg
- "Goo could very well play games like these in real life, slurp..."
Clubhouse Games has online blackjack, checkers, shogi, darts, and so much more! In Fishing Resort up to 4 players can together for a nice relaxing fishing session! Meanwhile in crossover land, Fortune Street is sure ta scratch someones boardgame itch!

Downloadable Content Notice!
- Horse Armor
&#8226; 100 Classic Books, Daigasso! Band Brothers / Jam with the Band, Picross DS, Picross 3D, WarioWare DIY
The DLC for these games are all free but there's a catch! There's more content then ya can have saved on your cart. Choose wisely which ones ya wish ta keep with you for all of time.

- Already There
&#8226; Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies, Professor Layton and the Curious Village, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
&#8226; Professor Layton and the Last Specter, Professor Layton and the Unwound Future, ...plus many more!
On-cart DLC'd make Crapcpom proud. Allegedly all the online downloadable stuffs in these can be unlocked using a cheat device but why risk it? Get you can now before its to late!

Am I missing anything major a ton 'o peeps are gonna wanna team up an play? Undoubtedly! Lemme know what an I'll slide it right on into this OP!

I was thinking about making a Mario Kart Wii thread. I need to get some time in with my favorite Mario Kart game (and also the one I am best at).

However, I am more interested in the preservation of DLC. Someone should try archiving the downloads in the form of save files. (The save files can be ripped right from the original cartridge with the right tools.)

I just bought a second Picross 3D cart for $5 to be able to keep all the puzzles.

Want to get the DLC for Dragon's Quest IX, anyone know how far I have to get in the game to be able to download it?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Really sad to see this happening, especially with Mario Kart Wii. Been playing it a lot lately and never have trouble finding a full room still.

Elija2

The OP is missing some multiplayer highlights.

Nobody ever thinks of them, but the DS Zelda games had really cool multiplayer. What's sad is that the multiplayer in these games was really unique so once NWFC is gone you probably won't be able to play anything like them ever again!

Also don't forget The Conduit, Call of Duty, and Goldeneye for some fun FPS multiplayer with glorious pointer controls. Well, The Conduit ain't that great actually...

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I heard good things about Tetris DS, what's so special about it?
Its got some neat/unique modes alongside that forever rehashed 8-bit Nintendo nostalgia! Catch Mode is pretty cool imo. Game seems ta be rare/expensive these past couple years to.

zulux21

Ctrl+f Street
:(
no fortune or boom street mentioned which makes me sad.
oh well thanks for the thread it reminds me that I need to get in a game or two of fortune street before the server is down.

I feel Jump Ultimate Stars and the Bleach games should be up there with TvC and Smash.

Personally, the games that make this hurt the most to me are the Megaman Starforce games. The Brotherband was just great and such an important part of the experience :(

Someone please preserve the Solatorobo quests and Layton puzzles. >_<

Those are all already in the NA version though, right? Worst case scenario you have to find a NA copy.

Man I'm going to miss it. Metroid Prime Hunters, Mario Kart DS/Wii, Pokemon Diamond/Silver, and Smash Bros were tons of fun despite the service's overall shortcomings. Won't play any DS games, as it will erase all my Wi-Fi data. Definitely going to try and play Smash Bros and MKWii though.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Ah man, I got to find some people who are willing to finish an advanced war match. Also, Mario strikers charged, loved that game's online around launch.

SmugFox

Shit, I just purchased DQIX again because I didn't get to finish it. I'm playing it on my 3DS, and I was wondering how do you download the DLC for it? Do you need to complete the game first?

zulux21

Shit, I just purchased DQIX again because I didn't get to finish it. I'm playing it on my 3DS, and I was wondering how do you download the DLC for it? Do you need to complete the game first?

get to an inn...
check out the guests...
that is the dlc I know of, you get a lot of random gear that is decent from random characters in past games.
spoilered in case someone doesn't want to know the answer

I can'tttt my wii / ds are back in my home country. ;_;

Farewell mkwii online, you made me shout some pretty nasty things at my tv screen back in the day.

Edit: farewell brawl online, I hardly knew ye.

I just bought a second Picross 3D cart for $5 to be able to keep all the puzzles.

Want to get the DLC for Dragon's Quest IX, anyone know how far I have to get in the game to be able to download it?

When you first gain access to Alltrades Abbey and the Zoom spell, you'll be able to access the DLC quests. Just Zoom back to Stornway (2nd town in the game) and talk to Sellma at the Quester's Rest Inn. Access the DQVC shop one time and you'll unlock the DLC Quests (including Legacy bosses from past DQ games) and cameo guests. Be sure to chat with all of the cameo guests to get free swag that lets you dress up as many of your favorite classic DQ characters!

Note that most of the DLC quests also require that you beat the game and possibly other stuff to play them, but as long as you've connected to the DQVC at least once before the May 20 deadline, you can do the other requirements at your own leisure.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
The OP is missing some multiplayer highlights.

Nobody ever thinks of them, but the DS Zelda games had really cool multiplayer. What's sad is that the multiplayer in these games was really unique so once NWFC is gone you probably won't be able to play anything like them ever again!

Also don't forget The Conduit, Call of Duty, and Goldeneye for some fun FPS multiplayer with glorious pointer controls. Well, The Conduit ain't that great actually...
I didn't even know the Zelda DS games had multi-player of any variety much less online! I remember seeing Goldeneye posted in the other thread so I oughta list it. Theres like a million COD games though so any specific ones I should put?

Ctrl+f Street
:(
no fortune or boom street mentioned which makes me sad.
oh well thanks for the thread it reminds me that I need to get in a game or two of fortune street before the server is down.
Fortune Street only has dozens of players! I'd imagine at least half of those dozens are on GAF so maybe it should be added?

I don't think Tatsunoko vs Capcom is going to get cut since I haven't seen that game being on any gamespy list.
Its got the NWC connection logo on the box, does it connect to that for something other then online play?

I feel Jump Ultimate Stars and the Bleach games should be up there with TvC and Smash.
Ohhh yeah I kinda recall the hype trains for those Jump games way back in the early DS days. Can ya post the full names of them?

You can still use the Nintendo Wi Fi USB Connector with the 3DS.
Ya but not for the NWC specifically >.>

Ya can grab the DLC quests very early in the game. Once you get to Stornway (which is like the second town) talk to the lady Sellma inside the inn an she'll get you connected.

Elija2

Also the DS Tony Hawk games (or at least Downhill Jam) had downloadable missions that you couldn't save to the cart and had to access by connecting online each time. I have no idea if they were stored on the cart or not, but when I tried to connect online in Downhill Jam years ago most of the missions wouldn't work so I'm guessing they're long gone.

I didn't even know the Zelda DS games had multi-player of any variety much less online! I remember seeing Goldeneye posted in the other thread so I oughta list it. Theres like a million COD games though so any specific ones I should put?

I guess the last COD game they put on Wii would do. That would be Modern Warfare 3.

So sad. My DS died, so I can't get in on some MegaMan Star Force online battles, but I think the random was dead too.
Maybe I could also try to find a random online match in Rock Band 3 with all 3 people still playing random. Just before it's too late. I already have all the content backed up, just in case.

Esque7

Just downloaded the DQIX stuff, still need to play that game. Also just did a few rounds of Mario Kart DS. Found two other people and damn that game is still a masterpiece.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I'll be heavily repping Phantasy Star Ø! The games got 14 multi-player quests an 3 levels of difficulty ta choose from. There's some multi-player exclusive titles you can unlock which net ya items. I say we get 4 people together and take on the bosses on Normal difficulty! There are titles for beating each one in under 1 / 2 minutes o.o Who's ever gonna do that on their own?!

I could also go for some CH Games. Can't say that I know how ta play most of 'em but when has not knowing how to play a game stopped me from doing so??

My friend codes:
1763 9983 0809 - Clubhouse Games
4471 3634 7876 - Phantasy Star Ø

Wait, hold up, this won't affect Netflix on the Wii right?
Nooopes that'll still work. This shutdown more or less just affects games.

No Custom Robo love?
Also, you forgot Star Fox and Tony Hawk's American Sk8land (and I guess the sequels? idk).
It'd be hard ta list everything, I mean those links in the OP list over 100 games~ but overall this threads ta cover all of 'em in a way. If you're all looking for peeps to play with, start posting friend codes!

Do DS games work online on 3DS?
Ya I believe so. I was playing DQIX on it before and was able to access the online shop through it. Gotta have the systems wifi switched on before booting up the game fyi.

I thought the DQIX DLC was taken offline ages ago?
I only play the game infrequently since beating it so I haven't noticed it myself, but I've read that the DQ VC was taken offline a couple times but fan protest or whatever keeps bringing it back. But with this massive shutdown coming it'll be down for good.

finley83

Banned
Nintendo said the Wii shop will remain online so don't worry about that for now. This shutdown only affects multiplayer functions.

Votron

aaah Metroid Prime hunters and Mario Kart DS brings back memory..
Now that I think about it.. I mostly game online on my Ds ( way way way more than the wii)..
Those ds versions of call of duty (with 6!!! players online)..haha good times.
N-space should really make one for the 3DS

Top Bottom