• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS / Wii Online Final Days | Get in and play!

Seriously this irks me so much that they're shutting everything down, especially when both the WiiU and 3DS are backwards compatible and can go online with a lot of those games, especially ones like Pokemon :/

Seriously this irks me so much that they're shutting everything down, especially when both the WiiU and 3DS are backwards compatible and can go online with a lot of those games, especially ones like Pokemon :/

Although the systems themselves are backwards compatible, they're using the old online setups to go online (think about how with the 3ds, you can't use the WiFi setup that you used for your 3ds to play DS games, you have to select the DS option in the Internet Connections menu and use the old DS menu to connect those games). This includes the Gamespy servers they were using for those games, which are unfortunately shutting down.

man. never being able to play the last story online again is kind of a bummer.

Also, I think I should unlock all the layton 4 stuff, right?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Anyones up for the Phantasy Star Ø tonight?

Also whats a good way to grind money in DQIX again? I'm fearing I won't have enough to buy up all the exclusive items in these final 12 days x_x

Gameboy415

Is anyone else having trouble downloading songs in the Euro version of Jam with the Band???
I can connect/download songs no problem on my Daigasso Band Bros DX cart, but Jam with the Band keeps saying it can't access the charts...? Nothing comes up via Search either. :(
(I'm in the US using an American DSiXL, if it makes a difference.)

I posted this in the other Nintendo WiFi thread, but here's a list of DS games with DLC I've downloaded thus far:

-100 Classic Books - 10 free DLC books
-Advance Wars: Days of Ruin - TONS of downloadable maps/missions
-Daigasso Band Brothers DX/Jam with the Band - TONS of downloadable songs
-Mario vs Donkey Kong 2 - there are a handful of Nintendo-created DLC puzzles
-Mario vs Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Madness - TONS of DLC puzzles, need more than one cart to get them all
-Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again (DSiWare) - lots of DLC puzzles here too
-Picross DS - download puzzles from 10 older Picross games, requires 10 carts to get them all (I actually got 9 extra copies of the game because I love Picross / am insane)
-Picross 3D - weekly puzzle packs and challenge packs, requires 2 carts to get them all
-Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs - download missions
-Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia - download missions
-Professor Layton (all) - weekly puzzles
-WarioWare DIY - downloadable puzzles, requires 2 carts to get them all

Stuff I still need to grab DLC for/haven't quite figured out yet:

-Dragon Quest IX - downloadable maps/missions (? not entirely sure how to access these)
-Fossil Fighters Champions - apparently there are downloadable fossils but I haven't figured out how to get them yet
-Heroes of Mana - apparently there are downloadable missions?
-Professor Layton and the Last Spector - apparently there is some kind of DLC in the 'Layton Life' mode?

terrisus

Tetris DS is absolutely amazing.

Also, despite getting it and beating it at launch, I never did most of the online stuff in Dragon Quest IX =(

So many great things with DS WFC
Darn ephemeral services =(

Gameboy415

Wait, what? I own this game. How can I download those?

From the main menu:
Nintendo WFC->Worldwide->Map Center
and then select 'Random Map' or 'Recommended' to view a list of maps.

You can only download one map at a time and have to reconnect to WFC each time so it's a bit tedious to grab multiple maps. (Especially considering there are at least 50 available)

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
10ish days left ta go! Thread could use one of them fancy countdown image things but I dunno where ya get 'em from.

1763 9983 0809 - Clubhouse Games
4471 3634 7876 - Phantasy Star Ø

I'm again up for playing those sometime today!

How much/long do you need to play DQIX so you can download all the DLC?
Maybe 5 or so hours depending on how ya play? Once ya learn Zoom go back to the inn in the "hub town" Stornway an a new lady at its counter can hook ya up with wifi stuff. Looking over a faq its like 4 towns, 3 dungeons into the game I think. Not as early as I remembered but not super far into the game either. Its unlikely you'll be able to afford any of the online shop items at this point in the game but getting the dlc quests is the most important part!

terrisus

How much/long do you need to play DQIX so you can download all the DLC?

Maybe 5 or so hours depending on how ya play? Once ya learn Zoom go back to the inn in the "hub town" Stornway an a new lady at its counter can hook ya up with wifi stuff. Looking over a faq its like 4 towns, 3 dungeons into the game I think. Not as early as I remembered but not super far into the game either. Its unlikely you'll be able to afford any of the online shop items at this point in the game but getting the dlc quests is the most important part!

Well, that answers how long until you can start getting DLC.

But, as far as when "you can download all the DLC?"
If I recall correctly, 52 weeks.

So, unfortunately, many of those quests, guests, and items will be lost forever.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Well, that answers how long until you can start getting DLC.

But, as far as when "you can download all the DLC?"
If I recall correctly, 52 weeks.

So, unfortunately, many of those quests, guests, and items will be lost forever.
Oh no no the quest dlc stacks. Originally they were released weekly or something back when the game first came out. But you'll totally unlock all of 'em (cause they are on cart afterall) from just connecting once nowadays.

terrisus

Oh no no the quest dlc stacks. Originally they were released weekly or something back when the game first came out. But you'll totally unlock all of 'em (cause they are on cart afterall) from just connecting once nowadays.

Ah, didn't realize that, since I had played through it when it originally came out.
That's good then.

I started playing earlier this week to get the DLC and I've just now gotten to the point where you get Zoom. My save is at 13:52. Granted I did a fair amount of grinding (because some areas seemed pretty hard if you don't) but it definitely seemed like it took longer than I had read.

Oh well, hard part's done.

Looks like I missed the window in Dragon's Quest IX to download the "Christmas Cake" or whatever was only available this week. The only things in the store are some rare items to alchemize. At least I connected and got the quests. (Right? There didn't seem to be any confirmation, so I'm trusting I got them.)

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
14 hours seems like alot for in retrospect seems like so lil but n/m my bad estimates!

Looks like I missed the window in Dragon's Quest IX to download the "Christmas Cake" or whatever was only available this week. The only things in the store are some rare items to alchemize. At least I connected and got the quests. (Right? There didn't seem to be any confirmation, so I'm trusting I got them.)
Look under Battle Record -> Quest List -> Extra Quests. 121-184 oughta be listed there which means ya got 'em all. Don't worry that many are ?????? some of the quest names are just meant ta be secret until you start 'em.

This is mad depressing, I spent hundreds of hours online in Pokemon Diamond. I'm gonna see if I still have my game and maybe make some final trades/battles.

Look under Battle Record -> Quest List -> Extra Quests. 121-184 oughta be listed there which means ya got 'em all. Don't worry that many are ?????? some of the quest names are just meant ta be secret until you start 'em.

Thanks for the tip, I indeed got them all.

Persona7

Banned
what is this thing with custom servers and friend codes?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJHZj5w83vg

it seems you can save your friend codes by adding them to a website for custom servers, but you have to have at least one friend on your list to do so. You only have five days to do so if you want to keep your friend codes. If not, you can create new ones but in some games that requires making a new save file or license with Mario Kart.

Elija2

what is this thing with custom servers and friend codes?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJHZj5w83vg

it seems you can save your friend codes by adding them to a website for custom servers, but you have to have at least one friend on your list to do so. You only have five days to do so if you want to keep your friend codes. If not, you can create new ones but in some games that requires making a new save file or license with Mario Kart.

Interesting. Anyone wanna exchange MKWii friend codes so we can add them to the custom servers database?

Chinbo37

Does this mean WiiWare is going as well? I never got those konami contra and castkevania games that were download only

I tried playing JUS but it was already dead months ago (no one online)...

Farewell wi-fi connection for DS, i had a lot of fun there.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
12 hours left til shutdown!

Packed my Advance Wars: DoR cart with 50 d/l maps! Also beat all 14 quests in normal difficulty of Phantasy Star Ø which was my goal, even if I had ta do it all solo! So no regrets here!

Top Bottom