• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS / Wii Online Final Days | Get in and play!

Ulumsk

Scrambling for any DLC/missable content before the shutdown. Looks like I'll have to get an action replay instead in some cases. Hopefully private servers will pop up for some of these games I never got to try.

gerudoman

I've been playing a lot of GoldenEye lately, I'll miss it. It was my first online FPS experience and the only competitive game in which I've felt I was quite skilled, in fact I reached the max level long ago. I think I've played it for like 400 hours, lol.

I'd also like to have some Mario Kart Wii farewell races, but the last time I played it I remember an awful lot of cheaters, might had been a coincidence though.

RiggyRob

Hold the phone, Diddy Kong Racing got released for the DS?

When did that happen?

OT: I didn't play many Nintendo games online but Mario Kart DS was one of my favourites.
First I got mad that people were snaking, then I learnt to do it myself. Checkmate, suckers.

mrhej

Someone just to stay in a Mario Kart Wii race and refuse to leave like what happened with halo 2 on the xbox.

AzaK

It's such fucking bullshit that they're turning that off. We bought the games, we should be able to play them. Charge me an online fee if need be.

Yazoo91

Neo Member
Thanks for the reminder, need to play some MKWii online before it goes. I'll miss it, offered one of my best moments - blue shelled 4 times online on Rainbow Road, still won. Granted it was more to do with how everyone else kept falling off, but still...

AmyS

Sad to see DS / Wii online play going away.

Saturn Bomberman is forever cause
direct dial over NetLink
is forever.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Sad to see DS / Wii online play going away.

Saturn Bomberman is forever cause
direct dial over NetLink
is forever.

bomberman blast is dead online as well as onslaught, tried a while ago, no games.

damn, oh well.

LiamR

So many memories. I wouldn't mind a game of Metroid Prime Hunters before that goes offline. That game was pretty fun :)

They're not getting rid of the VC shop too are they?

No, the shop channel will remain online indefinitely.

jwk94

Do DS games work online on 3DS?

nuh uh son... it was this piece of shit

250px-Battle_Revolution_JP_boxart.jpg

Well that shows how much I remember about the Wii.

RM8

I play Brawl online several times a week, I'm going to miss it so much :/ Unlike Mario Kart, because I have MK7 to play and soon MK8.

I've been preparing for this since it was announced. So far I've got:

2 copies of Picross 3D w/all the DLC
10 copies of Picross DS with all the DLC (one DLC set per cart...total pain in the ass)
2 copies of Wario Ware DIY with all of the official downloadable games
Mario vs Donkey Kong 2 w/all of the official Nintendo levels
Mario vs Donkey Kong 3 w/all of the official Nintendo levels
The DSi Mario vs Donkey Kong w/all of the official Nintendo levels
All 4 Layton games with all of the downloadable puzzles
Dragon Quest IX with all of the quests/guests downloaded, plus the Christmas Cake
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (still have to get the DLC for this)
Pokemon White, White 2 and Black 2 (still trying to beat the game and beg for event Pokemon online)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 + 2013 Wii (they have data packs you can download for roster updates/etc; still have to get 09/10/12)

So yeah, went a little crazy. Luckily most of the games were $10-15 new.

Anyone who wants to 100% DQIX, be sure to log on THIS WEEK and get the Christmas Cake item for 4800 gold from the DQVC shop. There's a Christmas-themed DLC quest that you can't complete without it, and AFAIK this is the last time it will be available before the shutdown.

I still have to get all of the Pokemon I want, download the exclusive Fire Emblem weapons, and get the co-op weapons in The Last Story. I'll post my friend codes later if anyone wants to help/needs my help. My best times for gaming are Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Ah, somehow I missed this thread earlier today.

I'd be up for some rounds in any of those games:
- Mario Kart Wii / DS (Friend codes: 172278-356851 (DS) ???? (Wii)
- Tetris DS
- The Last Story (I've never played its online mode, don't even know how it works, would be nice to try it before it goes offline)
- Tatsunoko vs Capcom (though I hardly ever played this game)
- Fortune Street (never played online)
- maybe Pokémon Gold/Pearl?
- The Zelda DS games (though I don't remember what online mode Spirit Tracks had)

I'll have to find a way to get my DS online again first, though.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Does Phantasy Star Zero have to connect to the server to play with someone in the same room or does it use infrared / whatever it is DS's use?

When you first gain access to Alltrades Abbey and the Zoom spell, you'll be able to access the DLC quests. Just Zoom back to Stornway (2nd town in the game) and talk to Sellma at the Quester's Rest Inn. Access the DQVC shop one time and you'll unlock the DLC Quests (including Legacy bosses from past DQ games) and cameo guests. Be sure to chat with all of the cameo guests to get free swag that lets you dress up as many of your favorite classic DQ characters!

Note that most of the DLC quests also require that you beat the game and possibly other stuff to play them, but as long as you've connected to the DQVC at least once before the May 20 deadline, you can do the other requirements at your own leisure.

Cool, thanks for the info. Now to hurry and get there....

Elija2

I'm thinking of setting up a WiFi hotspot using my phone so I don't have to mess with my router. Would online DS games use up much data?

Piccoro

Wow Lindsay, what a great thread! Subbed, thank you.

Too bad about the Wii/DS online shutdown. I have a lot of good memories of MKWii/Ds, Tatsunoko and Smash online...

Those people at GameSpy are just dirty, due to their selfish actions, these two consoles will lose online functions, plus a number of many other PC/PS3/360 games will too...

Has anyone made a list of all the DLC or at least games with DLC?

From what I remember, for the US/NTSC games (all DS unless noted as Wii):

All four Professor Layton games have "downloadable" bonus puzzles. You're really just downloading an unlock key from WFC, so these can be hacked in. Requires a save file, so you have to play the game past the first puzzle and save to gain access to the WFC menu.

Picross 3D has two sets of DLC, one containing Nintendo levels and the other containing user levels that won the Nintendo challenge contests. You can only fit one set on one cart, so you'll need two carts for all of the DLC.

Picross DS has ten sets of DLC, comprising of the Japan-exclusive Nintendo Power download cart levels (NP Packs 1-8) and levels from Mario Picross+Super Mario Picross. The crappy thing is that only one pack will fit onto one cart, so you'll need ten carts to fit all of the DLC.

Wario Ware DIY has a bunch of downloadable microgames from Nintendo/contest winners and a few from big name/indie designers. You'll need two carts to fit them all.

Dragon Quest IX has a bunch of DLC. You have to play through the game until you can access the WFC girl at the Stornway Inn. Upon your first connection, you'll automatically download/unlock all of the bonus characters and quests. You can also buy exclusive stuff from the DQVC online shop. The stock rotates every week, and almost all of it is cosmetic/optional. The only item that is important to the story is the Christmas Cake, which is needed to complete one of the DLC quests. It costs 4800 gold and is up this week only before the shutoff.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon has a bunch of exclusive weapons you can buy from the WFC shop. IIRC you have to buy them with ingame money before you start a chapter/whatever. I haven't done this yet so I don't know the specifics.

All of the Mario vs Donkey Kong games, including the DSi download version, have official Nintendo levels that you can download.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 for the Wii have downloadable "data packs" that update the roster and might add in other things. I haven't been able to test the Wii versions yet but from what I could find out you can still download them.

The Last Story has some exclusive weapons that you can only unlock by playing the online co-op. Haven't done this one yet so I don't quite know the specifics.

I'm sure there's more.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Just played some Mario Kart DS online. It took a minute, but I found three other people to play with. I didn't do all that well, though.

I'm going through some terrible preemptive withdrawl with Mario Kart Wii online. The wife and I have played that forever and I can't fathom it not being around. Even today, you can instantly find 10-11 other drivers of comparable skill levels at any time. Getting Mario Kart 8 12 days later will take the sting off, but still. There's just something about that between-match music and the matchmaking graphic that gets me. It's like time stops and the only thing that exists is karting. It's hard to describe, but I'd liken it to the music that plays in the Wii and Wii U home screens, respectively. It's the perfect ambiance for gaming. Man...

As for Phantom Hourglass online, I think I'll just retire with my perfect 1-0 record.

Still weird to me that they're just shutting it down with how popular MKWii still is online. I guess it might force people to get a Wii U and MK8, but still, that's 35 million people getting a desirable and popular feature taken from them.

LocalE

I'm mainly using this time to improve my standings in the Sin & Punishment: Star Successor leaderboards. Which I guess is sort of pointless, but it is so fun!

Still weird to me that they're just shutting it down with how popular MKWii still is online. I guess it might force people to get a Wii U and MK8, but still, that's 35 million people getting a desirable and popular feature taken from them.

Again, it's Gamespy shutting down their servers.

Other

I've been preparing for this since it was announced. So far I've got:

2 copies of Picross 3D w/all the DLC
10 copies of Picross DS with all the DLC (one DLC set per cart...total pain in the ass)
2 copies of Wario Ware DIY with all of the official downloadable games
Mario vs Donkey Kong 2 w/all of the official Nintendo levels
Mario vs Donkey Kong 3 w/all of the official Nintendo levels
The DSi Mario vs Donkey Kong w/all of the official Nintendo levels
All 4 Layton games with all of the downloadable puzzles
Dragon Quest IX with all of the quests/guests downloaded, plus the Christmas Cake
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (still have to get the DLC for this)
Pokemon White, White 2 and Black 2 (still trying to beat the game and beg for event Pokemon online)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 + 2013 Wii (they have data packs you can download for roster updates/etc; still have to get 09/10/12)

So yeah, went a little crazy. Luckily most of the games were $10-15 new.

Anyone who wants to 100% DQIX, be sure to log on THIS WEEK and get the Christmas Cake item for 4800 gold from the DQVC shop. There's a Christmas-themed DLC quest that you can't complete without it, and AFAIK this is the last time it will be available before the shutdown.

I still have to get all of the Pokemon I want, download the exclusive Fire Emblem weapons, and get the co-op weapons in The Last Story. I'll post my friend codes later if anyone wants to help/needs my help. My best times for gaming are Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights.
You could have used a Slot-2 flash card and Rein or an Action Replay type thing that supports save back upping and just rip a save with one set of dlc, downloaded the next, ripped that and so on until you had all of it with one cart instead of spending so much money on 10 Picross carts

daydream

Banned
Still undecided if I care enough to go out and find Wifi for the Picross, Layton and Dragon Quest stuff. Probably I don't. On-card "DLC" was an awful idea.

You could have used a Slot-2 flash card and Rein or an Action Replay type thing that supports save back upping and just rip a save with one set of dlc, downloaded the next, ripped that and so on until you had all of it with one cart instead of spending so much money on 10 Picross carts

I know. I like to do things legit.

Nyoro SF

RIP Jump Ultimate Stars online... and TvC... and Phantom Hourglass multiplayer was AMAZING.

Clubhouse Games was full of lethal killers too.

Mariokart DS was fun... in the beginning.

Brawl was never fun to play online. lol

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
How am I the only one to have posted friend codes yet? Are ya all running around looking for random encounters in long dead games or something? Anyhow I added a bunch more stuff to the OP earlier. If theres any other major mainstream/niche games people strongly feel should get a shout out lemme know!

Does Phantasy Star Zero have to connect to the server to play with someone in the same room or does it use infrared / whatever it is DS's use?
Its got normal local wireless play just like the PSP PS games not dependant on any networks.

The only item that is important to the story is the Christmas Cake, which is needed to complete one of the DLC quests. It costs 4800 gold and is up this week only before the shutoff.
Finished that quest last christmas but I'ma get another one just to be safe if it pops up again! Today I got a festive feast which was new to me! I recently found out the DQ VC shop had bridal outfit stuff an that I missed it every time >_<

I want to get it onto my 3DS before the service goes down. I don't know what I need to do though.
I remember reading in either this thread or the other that its like DQIX where ya have to get to a certain point in the game then you unlock a download option or something which then unlocks things that're already on the cart.

Does Picross 3D DLC just unlock a DLC flag or is it downloading actual content?
From my understanding its actual content not on the cart an theres not enough space for every last lil bit of it?

Huh? What was the online features of The Last Story?
http://thelaststorywii.com/multiplayer1.html

During a deathmatch, players fight against one another and are awarded points for each successful takedown.*
After 5 minutes, the players are then ranked according to the points they've scored. During a deathmatch, you can use all the allied character models, as well as enemy models such as the Gurak, Reptids etc.**

Co-op invites players to defeat powerful foes together. Unlike deathmatch, the strength of the weapons and armor you've obtained during the main game is reflected here, allowing you to use the characters you've developed during your single-player adventures.
Apparently ya can earn rare items/equips that you can use offline but can't be can only be acquired online. Prolly can be gotten with cheat devices/save editting though.

Top Bottom