• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dubai is getting another tall building higher than the current world's tallest

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Am I the only one around here who actually kind of likes the tallest building competition stuff? I mean, granted, this one is kind of superfluous considering how little of it is actually usable, but the days when people really pushed for the biggest, the best... I dunno, there's an appeal there to me, even if it is ultimately kind of useless.

I love tall buildings.

But, I'm also from NYC.

nick-young-confused-face-300x256.png

It doesn't have funding. It is just a proposal...

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
How long you could live in the gardens or balconies before getting caught in such a building

would anyone even care

Dennis

Banned
Serious question, lets say you have an apartment on one of the top floors, how long does the elevator ride down to ground level take?

"Ahh shit, I forgot to lock the car, have to go back down...........fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu"

Ekdrm2d1

I guess there's a style of architecture that just reaches for the sky. Tall, slender bldgs.

Baby needs curves though. Some design styles.

Mohonky

So what's going to happen to the Gulf nations when the world finally moved away from oil?
Thats what this is about. Once the oil is gone they need something else to prop up the economy; tourism and foreign investment is their best bet, that's why they are investing in these super structures. Massive office spaces for international business and super malls, theme parks etc for tourism.

womfalcs3

Banned
It's a city built on the bones of foreign slave laborers treated so badly they die
Like the US reconstruction after the civil war? The reconstruction that allowed it to perform economically in the 20th century? No, it was worse for the Chinese laborers in the US.

Anyway, the tallest building in the world is being built in Saudi Arabia at 1,000 meters. All these nomads that were once, by definition, homeless are now competing for tallest buildings.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
they're just trying to escape the shittiness of Dubai vertically.

sephi22

Next time you go be sure to take a dip in the shit infested ocean. Hope the slave built hotel you stay in doesn't crumble while you're in it.
I won't live in a hotel. My folks own a house there which we've given up for rent. They currently live in Capricorn Tower. Its pretty nice.
FyWn26C.jpg

Speaking of the ocean, my friend and I went to Jumeirah beach to soak, but wussed out because of body image issues. The only time I've been there besides then was for a marathon and Middle East Comic Con. Lost a bit of weight so I'll feel comfortable if I go this time, but if there's shit in the ocean I'll probably just stay on the sand

Gotta say, I really like that design. Looks like something you would see in the largest city in a JRPG world or something.

The question of which building is taller will eventually become redundant when the Jeddah Tower – a skyscraper in Dubai expected to reach 3,280ft – is completed, and then again in 2045, when the Sky Mile Tower – measuring at twice the height of the Burj Khalifa – in Tokyo is due to be finished.

How is the Sky Mile Tower due to be finished in 2045 when there aren't even plans to fund the damn thing? Or did I miss the news that they are actually gonna build that monstrosity?

Novoitus

Banned
That it is only 50% usable is a disappointment and probably waste of resources. I've been wondering if a one-building citadel could be feasible where you can live, work, and do all your activities without having to step outside, and if it would save more resources than having streets.

kinda like in Dredd?

Des0lar

will learn eventually
People, the Sky Mile Tower has neither any real plans nor any funding. It's not going to happen. (At least until Japan gets their shit together)

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
People, the Sky Mile Tower has neither any real plans nor any funding. It's not going to happen. (At least until Japan gets their shit together)

Some would say that the tower has a better chance of happening the longer Japan doesn't have their shit together.

Even more amazing they want to build that in the country known for being earthquake free.......

If I remember right there was more of a danger from high-force winds than earthquakes with that proposal.

Japan has had their shit together when it comes to buildings resilient to earthquakes for decades.

Hell, did a single building collapse in the Touhoku earthquake as a result of the tremors? I would be surprised if even a single tall building collapsed.
And that was an earthquake that was powerful enough to affect the rotation of our planet itself (albeit in a minuscule way if I remember right)

MogCakes

Thats what this is about. Once the oil is gone they need something else to prop up the economy; tourism and foreign investment is their best bet, that's why they are investing in these super structures. Massive office spaces for international business and super malls, theme parks etc for tourism.

They waste a ton of money trying to combat the desert climate by artificially bringing in water. Water is the most expensive resource they have! It isn't a sustainable state at all.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
When you are building these things do you have to prepare for when they will be taken down some day or is it like I don't care, not our problem?

Log4Girlz

Serious question, lets say you have an apartment on one of the top floors, how long does the elevator ride down to ground level take?

"Ahh shit, I forgot to lock the car, have to go back down...........fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu"

That's why you have servants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom