• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DuckTales Remastered |OT| The Citizen Cane of video games

nded

I can't shake the feeling that anyone who says this game is too hard might have been trying to play it on a 360 d-pad or analog stick.

This game is rad. Just wrapped up hard mode and I'm thinking of going through extreme difficulty when I have the time. I don't think I've been this obsessed with a video game since Bayonetta.

Amazon remix is better than Moon remix.

bjork

Just finished this earlier today, I liked it. It helps that Scrooge is my favorite Disney character, but just as a game itself, it's cool to see. I remember making a thread like 6-7 years ago asking why they couldn't just reskin old games like Ducktales and reissue them on XBL or whatever without the license, thinking that we'd never see a new game like this. I'm glad it happened, and I hope this is the first of many old games getting a shot at remakes or reissues in the future.

POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS! POOPY PANTS!

Quick Cinema mode- This mode will skip most of the cutscenes when activated. The option will show up if you have at least one playthrough completed, even it if was pre-patch. It's not a true speedrun option like we wanted to, butsome areas, like removing the random number events proved to be risky.

GOOD

Zolbrod

Just finished the game on Hard yesterday.
Will probably try to finish on Extreme today.
Excellent fun.

And yeah, apart from that INCREDIBLY annoying final stretch, the game isn't hard AT ALL.
But then, reviews for the Wonderful 101 have already shown that most reviewers just suck at video games.

alf717

Just picked up my wonderful brand new opened copy at Gamestop for Wii U with custom stickers on my case, cracked case and a ripped cover insert hurray. The game is updating now.

Edit:

Game is awesome. Sound like the original voice actors are doing the voice over in this game. Even more good news is Gamestop say they will take back my butchered copy.

I hate how the soundtrack still hasn't been released yet. I love Jake Kaufman and the soundtrack of the game. It pays such a great homage to the original.

Why, Disney and Capcom? Why? Is it really that hard to license Jake Kaufman to sell his work?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I love this game and all surrounding it <3

1dd8f8802a4511e39c2822000a1fbe4c_8.jpg

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Will this get a physical release in Europe as well? I see we get the PC-version, but I feel this game should be played on a Nintendo-system, so I would prefer to get that. Did Capcom say anything?

petran79

Banned
Played the game too.

Normal difficulty: reached the final sequence where you have to reach the dime.
Lost, had to restart again......Could have done it.....But I think I have enough of this game.
Controls and collision were problematic already especially in the boss fights, but the final sequence was the icing of the cake.

Regarding Disney 2D platformers, DuckTales is really one of the worst

If you really want that sort of game, Gianna Sisters is your cup of tea. It is much more frustrating and difficult than Duck Tales, especially the prepatched version. It is not only trial and error but requires patience, especially in the second and third world.

When I compare DTR to masterpieces like Aladdin and even Lion King or Jungle Book, I dont get even half the fun playing DTR.

I wouldnt think ridiculous to say this before having played the game, but I'll say it now:

The Amiga version is better than both the NES and the Remake!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I have not played the remaster, so maybe its really different from the Nes-game? If it plays the same, I think you ust dont get the controls or play it with a 360 pad or something - this is not only the single best disney-game ever made (far surpassing mediocre stuff like Lion King and Aladdin), but also one of the best and most creative plattformers ever. The controls are totally unique but still extremely tight, the levels are memorable with tons of hidden secrets, and music is awesome, the graphics was great for an 8-bit game, and the level-select gave it a nice pick-up and play-quality. My only complain about the game is that it was waaaay to easy to complete (like all the Capcom disney-games), but at least its better with a game that is fun and easy, than a game that is difficult for bad controls, cheap deaths or other stupid things (like the Virgin Disney-games).

petran79

Banned
I play the game with a dpad.
game per se, the remastered version at least, is very easy. Enemies are a joke.

Indeed Aladdin (Genesis and MS-DOS version) is much more frantic and difficult.

some of the boss fights might be a little troublesome, but mainly due to unresponsive controls and programming. eg in the boss fights if you lose a life, sometimes you reappear straight inside the boss, thus losing an energy bar in vain. I lost to the Amazon boss mainly because of this.

Game overall looks good in graphics but there are some moments here and there that feel unpolished

the fact that you press the jump button and Scrooge hits a corner with the pogo stick instead of jumping, deters the fun a lot.

Havent played NES Disney platformers like darkwing duck and rescue rangers so I dont know if they're better or worse than this.

but the game tries to make up for being easy, by forcing you to restart the level:

exactly this is the problem! levels and gameplay are not so well designed that I'd feel joy to replay them again. losing lifes feels more like a torture rather than trying to get better and enjoy the game.

Whereas in Aladdin, I wouldnt mind dying 100s of times to replay a level like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wEVvfbl7Grk#t=1624

LakeEarth

Beat the game on normal, but there is still so much left to buy. If I start a new game on hard, will the stuff I unlocked still be unlocked? Cause I don't want to keep playing the same 7 levels over and over (on normal) to farm money to buy songs and art.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I have yet to play this game, and I feel bad about that. I need to fix this. So, which would be the better way to play this: the WiiU retail disc, or Steam?

From what I've heard, it sounds like there are quite a few bugs in the PC release, which has me kinda questioning whether or not I should bother with that version, since it sounds like kind of a shoddy port job.

And I assume that the WiiU version runs at 1080p60 without any issue, correct?

Somebody make up my mind for me!

Velinos

I have yet to play this game, and I feel bad about that. I need to fix this. So, which would be the better way to play this: the WiiU retail disc, or Steam?

From what I've heard, it sounds like there are quite a few bugs in the PC release, which has me kinda questioning whether or not I should bother with that version, since it sounds like kind of a shoddy port job.

And I assume that the WiiU version runs at 1080p60 without any issue, correct?

Somebody make up my mind for me!

I was cheap bastard and got the Steam version. I did not run into any gameplay bugs; most of my problems were with the controls. The game did not feel as tight as the original on the NES. Though that may be partly due to the fact that I played this on an Xbox 360 controller and that D-pad is horrible.

I have not played the Wii U version and it may also have the same control issues, but at least it has a better D-pad which this game deserves.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I was cheap bastard and got the Steam version. I did not run into any gameplay bugs; most of my problems were with the controls. The game did not feel as tight as the original on the NES. Though that may be partly due to the fact that I played this on an Xbox 360 controller and that D-pad is horrible.

I have not played the Wii U version and it may also have the same control issues, but at least it has a better D-pad which this game deserves.

Actually, I'd heard that the PC version doesn't support controllers other than the 360's, and that it won't save your control configurations if you change them around. Any truth to that?

Velinos

The game does not have DirectInput support, so you will need 3rd party software like joy2key to get other controllers to work.

StAidan

I bought this in the Steam sale and have run through 3 of the levels so far. Aside from the cutscenes, I'm enjoying the game about as much as I do playing the original NES release (which I last did a few months ago).

Remastered actually seems marginally more challenging (not that it's difficult). Maybe it's just because I wasn't familiar with the level design changes ahead of time. The boss patterns are more interesting/challenging than the original game, too.

I'm looking forward to seeing this new Vesuvius stage.

TheYanger

Nah the control issues existed even with the keyboard, I haven't tried to play lately to see if it was fixed but, certainly at launch you would simply 'lose' your pogo for no reason (if you do it on the edge of a platform you lose it, that was in the original, but this game would cause you to land right on enemies and take damage, fail jumps, etc because he'd just...stop).

jimi_dini

Sorry for the bump, but I would like to know if the European version of DuckTales on Wii U has the ability to skip cutscenes. Does someone own it? I bought the European PS3 version and it definitely does not have that option. I would buy it again for Wii U, but I want to make sure that the option is there. I researched and couldn't find anything about that.

Tizoc

Sorry for the bump, but I would like to know if the European version of DuckTales on Wii U has the ability to skip cutscenes. Does someone own it? I bought the European PS3 version and it definitely does not have that option. I would buy it again for Wii U, but I want to make sure that the option is there. I researched and couldn't find anything about that.

PC/Steam ver. has the option to skip/omit all cutscenes, but I'm afraid that's as much as I know sorry ^^;

Unfortunately, I left WayForward before the game could come out in all territories, but you may want to ask Matt Bozon. He's pretty responsive to fans from what I've seen (and is a generally nice guy). If you have twitter, it looks like he posts a decent amount: https://twitter.com/mrbozon. I've never used twitter, though, so I don't know much more beyond that.

Edit: To add on to that, the game in its original release already had the ability to manually skip almost any cutscene (other than extremely short ones) by pausing the game and choosing the skip cutscene option. A later update added the ability to automatically skip all cutscenes, but I'm not sure if it was released in all territories.

jimi_dini

PC/Steam ver. has the option to skip/omit all cutscenes, but I'm afraid that's as much as I know sorry ^^;

Thanks anyway.

Edit: To add on to that, the game in its original release already had the ability to manually skip almost any cutscene (other than extremely short ones) by pausing the game and choosing the skip cutscene option. A later update added the ability to automatically skip all cutscenes, but I'm not sure if it was released in all territories.

Thank you too, but I don't have a twitter account.

I worded it badly. I meant the option to skip all cutscenes automatically. It's definitely not available for the European PS3 version, which is a shame (despite a patch being available if I remember correctly). And the PS3 version has also a few bad performance issues especially during some boss fights. I read that those are gone on Wii U, but it's pretty difficult to find definitive information about all of that.

jimi_dini

Unfortunately, I left WayForward before the game could come out in all territories, but you may want to ask Matt Bozon. He's pretty responsive to fans from what I've seen (and is a generally nice guy). If you have twitter, it looks like he posts a decent amount: https://twitter.com/mrbozon. I've never used twitter, though, so I don't know much more beyond that.

Hmmm, I created a twitter account almost a week ago. Tweeted him, but still no reply :(

Regiruler

Hmmm, I created a twitter account almost a week ago. Tweeted him, but still no reply :(
I don't know of any regional differences in the game. Is there a reason the euro version would be different?

Skip all cutscenes is only acquired after beating the game anyway IIRC.

jimi_dini

I don't know of any regional differences in the game. Is there a reason the euro version would be different?

The Euro version on PS3 is in fact different.

Well let me word it this way - the PS3 in Europe simply did not get the latest patch, that added the "skip everything automatically" option.

Skip all cutscenes is only acquired after beating the game anyway IIRC.

I beat the game several times on PS3. No option anywhere to be found.

I wanted to switch to the Wii U version, but well I won't spend 8EUR just to find out that the Wii U version doesn't have that option as well. Capcom support also didn't bother to reply.

Top Bottom