• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DuckTales Remastered |OT| The Citizen Cane of video games

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Alright I gotta say, that
Dracula Duck
fight really does feel kinda unfair. Especially the
bat and bite
attacks. Edit: Figured out I can duck the second attack. Then that race happened. Safe to say it basically instantly game over'ed me since I'm using the fucking Xbox pad.

As much as I loved the reworked original game, I really don't like what they added in the finale :/

RPGCrazied

So, the only unlockables in the game is art? How come they couldn't throw in the 8-bit game? Sure, the 8-bit music is nice, but still. Also, would have been rad if they threw in an episode of the cartoon you could unlock. You don't think Disney would have gave them that?

WatTsu

Alright I gotta say, that
Dracula Duck
fight really does feel kinda unfair. Especially the
bat and bite
attacks. Edit: Figured out I can duck the second attack. Then that race happened. Safe to say it basically instantly game over'ed me since I'm using the fucking Xbox pad.

As much as I loved the reworked original game, I really don't like what they added in the finale :/

The endgame is the only part that's genuinely frustrated me so far. Does anyone have any suggestions for
the race segment?

JP

Haven't read the whole thread but has there been any mention of the original game getting a rerelease? I'm asking because if you pre-order Castle of Illusion HD on the PS3 you get to download the original game for free too.

Haven't read the whole thread but has there been any mention of the original game getting a rerelease? I'm asking because if you pre-order Castle of Illusion HD on the PS3 you get to download the original game for free too.

Outside of the gold NES cart, nope.

AEREC

Nice to have a game again that relies on 1-up's and sets you all the way back when you lose them all. Playing on hard and failed my 4th attempt at the Himilayas.

Reminds me of when I was a kid and games were challenging (and I rarely ever finished them).

Bladenic

I think I've chosen the best order of levels so far. Each level has been better than the last IMO. African Mines < Himalayas < Amazon. Now on Transylvania, the atmosphere at the beginning is amazing.

Yuterald

I made my second attempt at Extreme this morning and cleared it with 8 lives remaining. Definitely had one of those "Try in the morning when you're refreshed" moments, feels good. I tackled the stages in a different order than my first run and it definitely helped keep my extra lives plentiful. All I gotta do now is run the game on Medium, get all the Hearts, and unlock the rest of the Gallery goodies. Out of all the WayForward PS3 titles, I gotta say this one MAY be my favorite (and I really, really dug Double Dragon and Bloodrayne: Betrayal). I will say though that this game's hardest challenge (Extreme) is nowhere near as difficult as getting all the S-ranks in Bloodrayne.

Thanks. That's a shame, still not sure how I feel about this game, sort of enjoy it but it sort of feels like a chore to, Maybe I just remember it being different to how it was.

Yeah. I mean, it's a wonderful game, as good as a piece of DuckTales-related nostalgia could possibly be. But for my money, if I'm ever bored and I need my fill of DuckTales action, I'd probably go with the NES version. If only because I can just bounce around and collect money at leisure rather than be forced to go through(and skip) the cutscenes again and again. Making the NES version available to people would most certainly make for a terrific companion piece, if nothing else. It really should have been unlockable, tbh.

RPGCrazied

I happen to like the cutscenes, its like watching an episode of the show, which I like. What I don't like is no check points in this game. I tried Amazon and Transylvania, got to the end with the boss with 1 life or so, always die, then have to repeat the whole level again. Just ugh.

AEREC

I happen to like the cutscenes, its like watching an episode of the show, which I like. What I don't like is no check points in this game. I tried Amazon and Transylvania, got to the end with the boss with 1 life or so, always die, then have to repeat the whole level again. Just ugh.

Easy mode.

Can someone confirm that if I select New Game on the title screen all my Gallery Unlocks go away? I saw it mentioned a few times in this thread...

JP

Yeah. I mean, it's a wonderful game, as good as a piece of DuckTales-related nostalgia could possibly be. But for my money, if I'm ever bored and I need my fill of DuckTales action, I'd probably go with the NES version. If only because I can just bounce around and collect money at leisure rather than be forced to go through(and skip) the cutscenes again and again. Making the NES version available to people would most certainly make for a terrific companion piece, if nothing else. It really should have been unlockable, tbh.
I'm guessing that the original Castle of Illusion will also get a full paid release as after the free pre-order version, maybe if its popular enough there will be a chance of them thinking about the original Duck Tales.

Mzo

Wow, i was feeling this game up until the last part of the last level. What pure, unfiltered bullshit. Fuck this game.
It took me by surprise the first time I saw it, too, but it's not hard. I'll spoiler tag some hints:

When it's time to pogo up to the chains, you can pogo to the third one in line. When traversing successive chains, you can hold diagonally up forward and just tap jump when you get to the top of a chain. After the first set, pogo up to the platform on the right and you can then pogo up and barely reach a chain. That last shortcut is huge and completely trivializes even the Extreme escape.

Oh, I love the cutscenes, too. It's just that when I'm playing through the game for the 4th, 5th, 6th(etc) time, I have no desire to sit through them again.

WatTsu

I finally finished the game, and figured out how to get through the final part (thanks in part to you guys). What a treat. I really liked it.

Plus, the extended version of the Ducktales theme and the piano version of the Moon theme during the credits - amazing.

Eusis

I think microsoft made a bad call to delay the 360 release because of summer of arcade.
When it comes to the official controllers it's probably the single worst platform to play it on anyway, at best you'll NEED easy pogo regardless.

That drum kit controller could flip it around entirely however, game never even uses the shoulder buttons far as I can tell and that's one of the most damning aspects of the controller.

Bladenic

Finished and liked it a lot. Will replay to finish getting unlocks but have no desire to try on Hard Extreme.

Being on Castle of Illusion :D

I legitimately think the remastered version, on hard anyway, is harder than the NES version on hard.

I have played through Amazon so many times now but keep getting killed by the boss. I think the subtle changes and longer level really does make it that much more difficult. In any case, I don't like the new Amazon boss.

Mzo

Due to the money modifiers on the higher difficulties, one playthrough on Extreme gets you over 25 mil. Grinding out the money on Normal sounds miserable =/

I'd say Hard is easier than Normal due to the abundace of extra lives. You can fuck up a lot more and still finish.

I legitimately think the remastered version, on hard anyway, is harder than the NES version on hard.

I have played through Amazon so many times now but keep getting killed by the boss. I think the subtle changes and longer level really does make it that much more difficult. In any case, I don't like the new Amazon boss.
What part of the boss fight are you having difficulty with? You can usually pogo his head right away, then wait for him to jump. Jump to avoid the tremor when he lands, land into a pogo and bounce off his head. It's either a forward jump or a straight up ground pound that will damage you if you're on the ground when he lands. The moving walls in between should be easy enough to avoid.

By the time you do Amazon you should have the two extra heart containers that are still available in Hard and Extreme. Five hits is more than enough.

Eusis

Due to the money modifiers on the higher difficulties, one playthrough on Extreme gets you over 25 mil. Grinding out the money on Normal sounds miserable =/

I'd say Hard is easier than Normal due to the abundace of extra lives. You can fuck up a lot more and still finish.
Yeah, maybe if the game treated each fall as losing a heart rather than a life things would be different, but in the end you're more likely to die from those than just from running out of health as you get more familiar with a stage and bosses. That's why the final stage had me hung up so much: while the boss WAS hard I was able to get through with only a heart or two lost in the end fairly reliably, and on my final attempt at the stage I only ever lost a life because I messed up hoping across because I backtracked after killing an enemy needed to cross ahead.

Zenogias

Neo Member
The warning is right, it reads "excluding money and gallery unlocks."

The warning states that all is overwritten, excluding money and gallery unlocks, i.e you keep money and unlocks!

I've played the game on several difficulties, and the unlocks do NOT reset when selecting a new game.

thefro

Mike Matei (AVGN's cohort) did a review

http://cinemassacre.com/2013/08/16/ducktales-remastered-thoughts-by-mike/

Most of the levels are exact copies of the NES game with updated graphics. There&#8217;s a few all new levels like The Money Bin and
Mt. Vesuvius
that are just bookends to what is otherwise a copy of the original, superior game.

Why was the NES game superior? Because it wasn&#8217;t ridden with pointless cinematics that pop up WAY too often. The people who made Ducktales: Remastered went out of their way to give everything in the game a reason.

But all the extra explanation does nothing but drag the game out. And leaves me continually hitting &#8220;Skip Cinematic&#8221;. Just let me play the damn game.

I guess I should mention, they got the original voice actors (such as Alan Young) to perform the voices again. They do a good job, but again, it&#8217;s kind of pointless when all I want to do is skip the cut scenes and play the game.

While Ducktales: Remastered is a faithful recreation of the NES classic, I would have been happier with more brand new stages. But with a low price tag of $14.99, I can&#8217;t complain too much. At least it&#8217;s cheap.

I beat Ducktales: Remastered last night. My final impression was that it was mediocre.

What I&#8217;d REALLY like to see instead is Capcom try to do what they did with Mega Man 9 and 10.
Give us a brand new 8-Bit style Ducktales. If the point of Ducktales: Remastered was to be nostalgic, there&#8217;d be nothing more nostalgic than that.

For the time being, I say you&#8217;re better off sticking with the NES game as it&#8217;s not needlessly drawn out.

netguy503

The pre-order for Castle of Illusion is up on PSN right now? Gotta check that.

Robin64

I see people having trouble with the
bite attack
in the final boss battle. Well an even easier way
to avoid it than ducking is to just pogo on top of his bill and keep pogoing up there until he vanishes
. Perfect, every time.

netguy503

bite attack
to avoid it than ducking is to just pogo on top of his bill and keep pogoing up there until he vanishes
. Perfect, every time.

You don't even have to pogo on the bill once you are up there as that will just cause you more likely to fall. Just stay on the bill and ride the transformation out.

WatTsu

bite attack
. Perfect, every time.

...GENIUS

Finished it literally minutes ago. I don't know if it's the Wii U analog stick, but there is one tiny chain during the first race in the finale I had trouble grabbing like half of the time. I didn't have any problems grabbing them the rest of the time and man was it aggravating. I wasn't too hot on the lava escape either, no pun intended.

Other than that, same impressions as my previous post: I enjoyed the rest of it, barring excessive scenes. Great music and character art. I kind of wish they had kept the NES endings, though. I'll have to run through this one on Hard.

test_account

XP-39C²
Is there a bug with the "hard pogo" mechanic? I'm playing the PS3 version now and so many times when i hit down and square button at the same time, the pogo jump doesnt register. I'm trying to play on extreme difficulty now, and i cant make some jumps because the pogo jump wont work despite me hitting down and square at the exact same time.

Finished it literally minutes ago. I don't know if it's the Wii U analog stick, but there is one tiny chain during the first race in the finale I had trouble grabbing like half of the time. I didn't have any problems grabbing them the rest of the time and man was it aggravating. I wasn't too hot on the lava escape either, no pun intended.

Other than that, same impressions as my previous post: I enjoyed the rest of it, barring excessive scenes. Great music and character art. I kind of wish they had kept the NES endings, though. I'll have to run through this one on Hard.

Why would you even touch the analog stick while you are playing this? :O

Is there a bug with the "hard pogo" mechanic? I'm playing the PS3 version now and so many times when i hit down and square button at the same time, the pogo jump doesnt register. I'm trying to play on extreme difficulty now, and i cant make some jumps because the pogo jump wont work despite me hitting down and square at the exact same time.

Try to hit down a bit earlier than square. I had the same problem and this helped a lot.

I didn't realize the Moon theme was so popular until I started hearing hints of it in some of the other tracks (The stage select/gallery, the Himalayas, the intro to the prologue stage).

Xav

I always got the impression Mike will like anything so long as it's 8 bit. I get the feeling DuckTales Remastered could of been a 1.1 port of the NES original with updated visuals and he still would of complained.

I myself have also done a review recently so he or anyone else is welcome to criticise it if they wish.

http://masonicgamer.com/reviews/ducktales-remastered-review-wii-u/

Mzo

The pogo doesn't register unless you press down first. If you try to do it at the same time you may not get it because you pressed square a split second faster.

This was patched almost immediately on the PC to be like the NES original. I assume that at least the PS3 version will get the same update.

L.O.R.D

fuuuuuu-face-300x233.jpg

i just lost in the final level
after i beat Dracula duck , i waste 1 life trying to get to the dime, i mange to take it at last
but then, i died from the lava
this game is brutal, i am playing on hard difficultly

i don't want 8 bit style duck tales , i want it 16 bit

Mzo

The warning states that all is overwritten, excluding money and gallery unlocks, i.e you keep money and unlocks!

I've played the game on several difficulties, and the unlocks do NOT reset when selecting a new game.
That's what I said? I'm glad we agree.

Mzo

I'd recommend the dpad for this game. All you have to do for the chains is hold diagonally forwards and up, then press jump at the top of each chain. Since the controls are digital you're moving forward as fast as you're going to and up is being pressed as well so you'll grab hold of every chain. There's no reason to make it harder than it needs to be.

There are a couple of shortcuts in the escape that make it trivial, as well.

netguy503

fuuuuuu-face-300x233.jpg

i just lost in the final level
after i beat Dracula duck , i waste 1 life trying to get to the dime, i mange to take it at last
but then, i died from the lava
this game is brutal, i am playing on hard difficultly

i don't want 8 bit style duck tales , i want it 16 bit

So what's the deal? Your not playing on extreme yet. At least you don't have to start the whole game over again.

Eusis

It's actually the constant crashes that have made me disinclined to continue with my Hard replay. It just happens way too damn often, and whose to say I won't eventually get unlucky with a crash that nukes my save?

Top Bottom