• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DuckTales Remastered |OT| The Citizen Cane of video games

test_account

XP-39C²
Well, he's almost completely wrong in all he says. Preferring ANOTHER freaking 8bit-semi-game over this incredibly faithful, georgeous style? Skipping all the cool cutscenes on the first walkthrough? "Mediocre" What was he thinking?

Stupid Nostalgia goggles.
To be fair, what he says isnt exactly wrong, its just his opinion. That said, i disagree with what he says. I'm really glad that they made the remake in the way that they did, especially with the added cutscenes and the remixed music. I love the original music, but i think that the remixed music is great, especially the Amazons tune :) I wouldnt mind to see a "Duck Tales 3" though, with 8-bit style graphics, but not on the expens of the remake that we got.

Finished it literally minutes ago. I don't know if it's the Wii U analog stick, but there is one tiny chain during the first race in the finale I had trouble grabbing like half of the time. I didn't have any problems grabbing them the rest of the time and man was it aggravating. I wasn't too hot on the lava escape either, no pun intended.

Other than that, same impressions as my previous post: I enjoyed the rest of it, barring excessive scenes. Great music and character art. I kind of wish they had kept the NES endings, though. I'll have to run through this one on Hard.
When jumping from chain to chain, i recommend you to hold up and right (or left, depending on which direction your jumping) at the same time while jumping. I had problems with some of those jumps as well, but after holding the two buttons at the same time as jumping, i had no problem grabbing on to the ropes or chains.

About the endings, do you mean the
part where you get a big/bigger pile of money depending on how much money you collect in the game? If so, i agree with that, i wish that that they kept that part as well. I tried to collect as much money as possible on my first playthrough, hoping that they kept those endings :)

Try to hit down a bit earlier than square. I had the same problem and this helped a lot.
This was patched almost immediately on the PC to be like the NES original. I assume that at least the PS3 version will get the same update.
Thanks for the tip :) I will try it the next time i play the game.

test_account

XP-39C²
but i have to start the level from the start,,,with only 2 lives
There is an extra life early on in the level
(its when you climb up some of the first chains, its a hidden room up one of the chains)
. I probably replayed the last level 15 times or so before i made it on hard. I didnt know how to properly avoid the
fang attack on the boss, and i had several hit and miss on the last part of the boss until i learned how to do it better.

matm666

Im on the last level, on Wii U, and wverytime is gameover the game locks cant do anything, just turn off the Wii U, everyone else with this problem?

MegalonJJ

Banned
Finished my first playthrough (Wii U version) yesterday on medium.

Really enjoyed and it brought back a lot of memories.

I want to play through it on hard and extreme, but I'm going to wait for a patch first (to update the "hard" pogo and to fix the lock-up issue. It happened whilst I was in the gallery section).

test_account

XP-39C²
Im on the last level, on Wii U, and wverytime is gameover the game locks cant do anything, just turn off the Wii U, everyone else with this problem?
That have happened a few times to me on the PS3 version as well. Not every time though, but it has happened three times or so. I hear some sound from the game playing, but i cant do anything. I have to restart the console to fix it.

There is an extra life early on in the level
(its when you climb up some of the first chains, its a hidden room up one of the chains)
. I probably replayed the last level 15 times or so before i made it on hard. I didnt know how to properly avoid the
fang attack on the boss, and i had several hit and miss on the last part of the boss until i learned how to do it better.

Easiest way to go undamaged is wait until he goes to drop, then move underneath the beak and crouch down. As long as you're not under the fang, you'll be safe.

Unrelated: outside of just beating the game on a higher difficulty level, what's the easiest way to rack up cashbucks for unlocking stuff?

entremet

Weird, so I beat the game on Normal and my Gallery unlocks are tied to the game I beat. So I wanna play hard but if I do I'll have to rebuy the stuff I already bought.

What?!

Eusis

Weird, so I beat the game on Normal and my Gallery unlocks are tied to the game I beat. So I wanna play hard but if I do I'll have to rebuy the stuff I already bought.

What?!
You got it wrong, it said everything BUT money and unlocks would be lost, meaning that you can continue from where you left off for unlocks. Just restarted on Hard yesterday myself.

DragonHunterG

Neo Member
pretty good game. i just finished it on the normal or medium difficulty today and started a new game on hard mode.

the last part of the last level made me curse at my tv, but once you learn what works best, its not too too bad. checkpoints would have been great because when i was forced to start a level completely from the beginning, i would often just turn off the game and take a break. i had problems with the mine carts in various stages and jumping out of them in time as well.

basically everything is pretty good about the game so i'll just point out some things that i didn't like. i didn't like scrooge making comments about everything. they should limit that to saying a line only once for each situation and be done with it. yes scrooge, you have seen a gem like that before! quit saying it please within the same stage. i thought the transylvania stage was probably the most interesting of them and kinda wished the other stages had as much detail. the secret areas just weren't very secret most of the time either. i thought it would be a cool idea to have the money bin fill up to however much money you had accumulated, so your dive becomes just a little more shorter to the bottom. the cinematics should be able to be skipped by pressing start, not by pressing start, selecting to skip cinematic and then having to confirm it. the original game should have been an unlockable.

i dont know, little knit pick things. obviously the game locking up is pretty bad too. i had that happen to me twice and had the weird audio glitch. for all the quality testers i saw in the credits and for the small scale game it seems to be, i'm surprised there were any bugs at all.

Mzo

pretty good game. i just finished it on the normal or medium difficulty today and started a new game on hard mode.

the last part of the last level made me curse at my tv, but once you learn what works best, its not too too bad. checkpoints would have been great because when i was forced to start a level completely from the beginning, i would often just turn off the game and take a break. i had problems with the mine carts in various stages and jumping out of them in time as well.

basically everything is pretty good about the game so i'll just point out some things that i didn't like. i didn't like scrooge making comments about everything. they should limit that to saying a line only once for each situation and be done with it. yes scrooge, you have seen a gem like that before! quit saying it please within the same stage.
The game is almost easier on Hard because of the abundance of 1-ups in that mode. I think on Normal you're limited to basically the Mrs. Beakly ones.

If you're having trouble with timing jumps it could be input lag. Depends on your setup.

Scrooge definitely has the GBA Mario remake syndrome here. Woohoo! Just what I needed!

venomenon

Finished the first playthrough on Medium yesterday after numerous failed attempts in the very last section. The hint to press up+forward during the chain sections was absolutely priceless, with that in mind the race is actually harder than the section afterwards.

Now trying Hard mode. What an abundance of extra lives. However I seem to get careless - finished the mines, went to the amazon boss with like 6 or 7 lives, beat him with only one left, even though I don't consider it difficult at all...

A very nice game anyways, and finally playable after the patch.

edit:
Concerning the achievement you get for
collecting $10M
, I guess the accumulated sum does not count, so you really have to
possess the full 10 million
at one point?

Krelian

edit:
Concerning the achievement you get for
collecting $10M
, I guess the accumulated sum does not count, so you really have to
possess the full 10 million
at one point?
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the case. Mine popped up when I had
over $10M
after I beat a stage.

Btw, not sure it's a secret but I spoiler tagged anyway.

test_account

XP-39C²
Easiest way to go undamaged is wait until he goes to drop, then move underneath the beak and crouch down. As long as you're not under the fang, you'll be safe.

Unrelated: outside of just beating the game on a higher difficulty level, what's the easiest way to rack up cashbucks for unlocking stuff?
Yeah, my sister told me that strategy after i beat the game :) I never thought about crouching. Thanks for the tip though :)

For racking up cash, i'm not sure if it is the quickest way, but i get around 4.3 million dollars on the Amazon level when playing on hard. Then i get the hidden treasure and i
destroy the statue in the temple to the far right once you enter the temple. That gives 500k dollars
. It takes about 10 minutes or so to complete that level i guess.

Just best the game on extreme, wasn't very extreme outside of the fact I couldn't save. It did give me a crap load of money though to almost help finish off my gallery.

Adam Blue

Playing on PC with the 360 gamepad, I was surprised how well the D-pad worked with the chains. Pressing up+forward on dat d-pad made precision near perfect. I'm curious how it is compared to the DS3. You's have to make sure your thumb is hitting both inputs rather than one.

This game is near perfect.

BTW, has it been discussed buying the boxed copy and returning the code to GameStop?

Psykoboy2

Finished it yesterday on Hard. Took me quite a long time for that final level. However, the more and more I played it, I was able to speed run it through to the boss. He eventually gave me no issue. After that it was all about timing with the race at the end - I'm not good at that sort of gameplay, but I got through it.

Thinking of doing an extreme run.

Anyway, loved it. Frustrating as it got sometimes, I still loved the hell out of it. Cut scenes get annoying after you've seen them once, but I never skipped a cut scene I was watching for the first time. Also, skipping some of the opening cut scenes will prevent you from reaching the secret area with Gyro.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Aw man, this doesn't have 2D art backgrounds? I should have paid attention when it was announced.

I thought I would be disappointed by the backgrounds, but after playing it on PS3 in the past couple of days I can tell you that the 3D backgrounds were a very wise choice by WayForward because:

1.) The game's IQ is surprisingly clean, really awesome to be honest.
2.) The backgrounds often have multiple 2D layers which are well drawn and colored.
3.) The texture chosen for many of the background objects have just the right color palette, hues, and lighting effects applied on the surfaces they cover to seem 2D... the best way I can summarize it would be to say that they brought the TV show to life (if it was shot with a 2.5 D side perspective).
4.) Last, but not least... producing all those dynamic backgrounds purely in 2D would have been very costly and it might have warranted spending less of the allotted budget to other aspects of the game or simply made obtaining a decent return on investment difficult or nigh impossible.

The intro part to the Transylvania level looks ...sooo goood.... and so does the money bin... fun :)!

Yeah it was a TMNT-eqsue "you can just walk over it" moment for me. Very fun game. Doesn't matter that it's short, still fun to go back to.

OMFG. How many minutes/hours of my childhood did I spend figuring out how the fuck to jump over that little gap in TMNT? HOW MANY?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I don't think this was mentioned, but an alternative way to unlock 8-Bit Mode is to
input the code similar to Mega Turbo for SF2 Turbo, which was Down, R, Up, L, Y, B at the Capcom logo. To translate to PS3, down, R1, up, L1, square, X for PS3. I ASSUME it'd be down, RB, up, LB, X, A for 360, but since it's not out yet, I don't know.

Persona7

Banned
I thought I would be disappointed by the backgrounds, but after playing it on PS3 in the past couple of days I can tell you that the 3D backgrounds were a very wise choice by WayForward because:

1.) The game's IQ is surprisingly clean, really awesome to be honest.
2.) The backgrounds often have multiple 2D layers which are well drawn and colored.
3.) The texture chosen for many of the background objects have just the right color palette, hues, and lighting effects applied on the surfaces they cover to seem 2D... the best way I can summarize it would be to say that they brought the TV show to life (if it was shot with a 2.5 D side perspective).
4.) Last, but not least... producing all those dynamic backgrounds purely in 2D would have been very costly and it might have warranted spending less of the allotted budget to other aspects of the game or simply made obtaining a decent return on investment difficult or nigh impossible.

The intro part to the Transylvania level looks ...sooo goood.... and so does the money bin... fun :)!
I understand why they did that but it unfortunately it gives me major motion sickness so I can't play it.

zweifuss

Finally beat it. Thanks for all the ending tips, guys. Probably wouldn't have done it without your help. Saved me hour of frustration.

It's sad that the main actors are either too old or have forgotten how they do characters. I was confident that Magicka wasn't voiced by the original voice actor, June Foray. But it turns out that it is her, only she's old! Her voice can't match what she got away with in the 80s, and she has forgotten how to do the accent properly. If they had only recorded the dialog for this game back then and put it in a vault! Allan Young really pulls it off though, and so does Terence McGovern (Launchpad). And the kids are spot on.

Still, this plus the odd pogo stick not coming out sometimes are my only faults with this game. Oh yeah, and who could forget the stupid way you skip cutscenes. If they patch it, they should put that in the options at the start of the game, to do the entire game without cutscenes the next time you go through it.

I wonder if they've considered doing Ducktales 2, they better get on that quickly because those in-their-90s voice actors aren't getting any younger! I think Darkwing Duck and Chip & Dale can be pulled off though without noticing too many voice actor anomalies, does anyone know if all the voice actors are still around for that series? I'm too lazy to google right now.

Sora_N

I posted in BST but just checking here too.

I unfortunately got 2 copies of the game in the mail and they were both NOT sealed, so I was refused when I tried to return the games at the store. They cost me $22 after tax, but I know retail is $15 on PSN. Would anyone be interested in the game and want to buy the code off me for $15 if you were going to buy it anyway? No real benefit for the buyer but I'd really appreciate it, planned to skip this game but didn't think I wouldn't be able to return my order due to stupid crap.

What's with this secret? There's nothing up there.
1024x576.resizedimage

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Picked up a retail copy at GameStop & downloading now. Think I might keep the pin attached to the "cd" so I can keep it in the case.

Picked up a "boxed" copy from GameStop even though I have one on the way in the mail. I guess I wouldn't mind having a sealed (so to speak) copy of the game. Downloading it now, really can't wait to dig into this.

Still can't believe I just picked up a new DuckTales in 2013. Life sure does have it's twists and turns sometimes, haha.

Played the tutorial stage, Transylvania and African Mines. (Started on Normal) Had to rip myself away from the controller since I have to go to sleep early to wake up for work tomorrow. Brought back memories of my parents doing the same with NES/SNES back when I played games on school nights as a kid, haha.

First off, the backgrounds don't really bother me as much as I thought. Hand drawn still would have been nice, but they're not nearly as out of place as I initially thought. It's a lot more off putting in pictures than during the actual game. I know the cutscenes are going to bother me on subsequent playthroughs, but I'm watching them during my first playthrough and I'm enjoying the hell out of them. They're like little mini episodes of the show, basically. (Nostalgia'd pretty hard when I saw the Terra Firmians in the mines and Huey whipping out the Junior Woodchucks handbook at one point) Haven't been having any problems difficulty wise, either.

I've really enjoyed what I've played of it so far. It's as fun as the NES original, and I've just had a huge grin plastered on my face the whole time. It really makes the Gamespot review even more baffling to me.

The music is amazing, too. Transylvania was great, and the mines theme was funky as all hell. The more I hear the music, the more I start to think no one else but Virt could have done this soundtrack the justice it so deservingly got.

Blues1990

I was able to complete the game last Friday. Considering that I never played the original when it first came out on the Nintendo Entertainment System, the remake was "a pant-load of amazing-ness."

I'm probably going to go and track down the original game, just so I can compare the two & see what changes/improvements that WayForward had made with their take.

El Odio

Banned
Your image is broken, but (generic secret area tip spoiler)
if you're in an area where Scrooge is above the screen, try holding up when you can't go any further
This, unless it the one in the Himalayas outside to the left, then you have to use the cane swing to hit an unseeable can out of the way.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well that's a downer. FINAL moments of the FINAL stage.....& I lost my last life. Don't care, I technically "beat" it since I got the trophy for it. Might as well just start on Hard now.

Overall, I enjoyed it. I really didn't experience any control issues for the most part, aside from few "wait, I held down Square, why didn't I bounce?" moments and very rarely, not grabbing onto chains....which is how I died in the last level....I'll have to try Hard Pogo & see how different it feels.

Just beat the Himalayas! Playing on Hard and have 9 lives now. So glad I started over on Hard mode.

Enjoying this game slowly as I wish to savor it. Next time I play I'll get to enjoy that gorgeous Moon theme! :D

Yuripaw

Banned
This just happened to me in African Mines. Wii U froze, TV display went blank, GamePad display went black and it was clearly a hard lock. It was before the save screen, so my stage playthrough was totally lost. Got upset so I walked away to complain about it on the Internet.

This shit has happened to me twice now on the Wii U. I guess I can't finish this game because I've played through the African Mines twice, and both times I finish the boss, stage complete...black screen...and that's it. Won't save, can't continue my progress. =(

I finally got around to finishing this on hard. Overall, I'm really disappointed by the changes to the stages and the addition of the cut-scenes. They ruin the flow of the game for me. I wouldn't mind the cut scenes so much if they were optional, but the fact that you have to pause and hit skip every single time you play is...arrrghhh...

I also don't like that they force the exploration aspect on you, making speed-runs more difficult since now you have to collect items to be able to progress in some areas. The bosses also take too long to beat now. I like how they added new patterns and made the fights a bit more strategic but they take too long due to how many hits bosses need to take before they go down.

But the thing that burns me the most is that they
removed the different endings depending how much treasure you collected during the game! That was one of the things that made me keep replaying the game as a kid, trying to see how big I could make the money pile at the end of the game!

cleared the game on WiiU exclusively on gamepad (usually a level before going to sleep)

i really enjoyed it although it was relatively easy.

I loved the cutscenes btw

Wow, the final level is frustratingly awful. It's essentially trial-and-error platforming during the end sequence. I usually love that style of platforming, but only having three lives? Seriously terrible.

That sequence wasn't that way in the original game. One of WayForward's "improvements." :/ :\

Wow, the final level is frustratingly awful. It's essentially trial-and-error platforming during the end sequence. I usually love that style of platforming, but only having three lives? Seriously terrible.

How could it possibly be considered trial and error?

Ocaso

Am I right in noting that this game launched on XBLA without a trial? How did they pull that off! I thought it was against MS policies. No chance of me buying it at full price without trying it first.

ArjanN

How could it possibly be considered trial and error?

Probably because it has a bunch of obstacles that are pretty likely to kill you the first time, but are easily avoided once you know what they are. A lot of the Capcom platformers rely pretty heavily on memorization.

Mzo

It was a bit of a gauntlet getting through the level, learning Dracula Duck, and then having the final sequence on top of it all.

Once you know it it's super easy, but that first time did take me around three restarts of the final level.

The weird thing is how many more 1-ups they give you on Hard mode. Got to Vesuvius with 20 extra ducks. That would've made learning on Normal far easier.

Top Bottom