• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dude why the hell do people fuck up games so bad?

Hollywood

Banned
OK I got a new PS2 mini the other day and some used games at EB. Well I got Onimishu 3 and the disc was in relatively good shape it looks like, but when I put it in it would freeze at certain parts, like at a part in the opening segment CG - and now at a cutscene in the middle of the game right when their trying to get on this boat to the Genma hideout.

Thing is though, if I take it back they are going to say I fucked it up because there was a sticker ON THE DISC, and when I took it off shit on the label side also peeled off. That's not whats making the game messup though, its some scratches on the other side. Why the fuck do people put stickers and shit on discs, when it fucks the label side all to hell?

I used some CD cleaner and stuff, but it still don't work so I guess I gotta buy a Game Doctor and buff it. I swear they don't even check if the game is even in decent condition when they take it. This is the last time I ever buy a used game again. Maybe I should just go up there and bitch them out until they give me another disc.

Hollywood

Banned
Yeah the only reason I got them is because they didn't have San Andreas in. Plus they were relatively old games like Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2, and Metal Gear Solid 2, so I'm sure they wouldn't of had them in stock new I'm guessing.

Exis

You should be able to take it back, EB has taken back used games I have had problems with before.

Or at the very least EB. I learned my lesson a while ago and would NEVER buy from them again. Some places are more reliable than others, but EB sucks ass.

robochimp

The lesson is go and buy some Brasso Brass polish.

I found a copy of Def Jam Vendetta in the street. It was scratched to hell. I used some brasso and the game works fine

The lesson is go and buy some Brasso Brass polish.

I found a copy of Def Jam Vendetta in the street. It was scratched to hell. I used some brasso and the game works fine
Really? I'll have to try that. Maybe I won't have to kill my cousin for what he did to my copy of SoA:L...

vireland

Thing is though, if I take it back they are going to say I fucked it up because there was a sticker ON THE DISC, and when I took it off shit on the label side also peeled off. That's not whats making the game messup though, its some scratches on the other side.

No, most-likely the sticker taking some of the label-side of the dics didn'thelp matters. What most people don't realize is that the metal layer with the data on it ISN'T on the side that is blank. It's right underneath the label. Scratching the label side is MUCH more serious than the clear side, as once that data is physically scratched OFF, there's no amount of buffing that will bring it back.

There are three main problems that can happen with CDs

1. The disc is scratched in the clear side. This prevents the light from the laser getting through without refraction/distortion. However, this can be fixed by buffing.

2. The label side has been scratched deep enough to take out some of the layer with the data on it. This cannot be fixed.

3. The disc has been flexed and the seal between the two layers has been broken, letting air in, and oxidizing the CD medium away. You can check for this by holding the disc up to light and looking at the non-label side. If you can see pinholes of light, that disc is toast, and the holes will get bigger as the CD literally rusts away inside. It's actually more common that most people realize, and VERY common on EB/Gamestop chain used games, especially of the PS vintage where they've had time to oxidize if the disc was over-flexed, breaking the seal.

And there you have it. Lesson? Don't buy used from the chains. You're asking for trouble, and you can usually get it new for just a bit more if you look harder.

belgurdo

Banned
What Vic said-you fucked up the disc yourself by taking the sticker off and fucking the label. Poor luck for you, I guess.

And I've never had a problem with buying used-then again, I'm not that anal about scratches, and if a game's unplayable, that's what I've got a disc doctor for

Hollywood said:
OK I got a new PS2 mini the other day and some used games at EB. Well I got Onimishu 3 and the disc was in relatively good shape it looks like, but when I put it in it would freeze at certain parts, like at a part in the opening segment CG - and now at a cutscene in the middle of the game right when their trying to get on this boat to the Genma hideout.

Thing is though, if I take it back they are going to say I fucked it up because there was a sticker ON THE DISC, and when I took it off shit on the label side also peeled off. That's not whats making the game messup though, its some scratches on the other side. Why the fuck do people put stickers and shit on discs, when it fucks the label side all to hell?

I used some CD cleaner and stuff, but it still don't work so I guess I gotta buy a Game Doctor and buff it. I swear they don't even check if the game is even in decent condition when they take it. This is the last time I ever buy a used game again. Maybe I should just go up there and bitch them out until they give me another disc.

I always, ALWAYS check the condition of used games I buy. Its worth the few secs it takes, a lot less of a headache down the road.

MoxManiac said:
The lesson is: don't buy used games.

Meh, I bought a used copy of Viewtiful Joe for PS2 a month after it had been released and saved $10+tax on it as a result. The game was in brand-new condition, the only used game I have that is in ok condition (a few scratches) is ZOE2. Buying used isn't the problem, its checking the disc before you buy it...you gotta do it when you buy used, everytime.

xexex

Banned
I've bought over a dozen used games off of ebay. never had a single problem with any of em. guess im lucky.

vireland

I've bought over a dozen used games off of ebay. never had a single problem with any of em. guess im lucky.

Yeah, but Ebay is a different animal. I've never had a problem with an Ebay used purchase, but they're usually collectible games that are taken care of by the owners. Teh EB/Gamestop/Game Crazy used circus is completely different. If you're going to do it, DEFINITELY inspect the discs before leaving the store, and make SURE to do the pinhole light test. A disc can look fresh and still be unplayable because of this.

Hollywood

Banned
Dude it wasn't the label because it was doing this BEFORE then. I had a game on XBox before where the ENTIRE LABEL SIDE was gone, and it worked absolutely fine.

There's no scratches on the label side or anything, its just the label shit came off. I seriously doubt there is data on the actual label. The other side needs to be buffed though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hollywood said:
Dude it wasn't the label because it was doing this BEFORE then. I had a game on XBox before where the ENTIRE LABEL SIDE was gone, and it worked absolutely fine.

There's no scratches on the label side or anything, its just the label shit came off. I seriously doubt there is data on the actual label. The other side needs to be buffed though.

A friend of mine purchased a copy of Klonoa on eBay, and it had a Hollywood Video sticker on it. Upon trying to peel it off, it also pulled off the disc label. Even when placing it carefully back on the disc (that is, the entire Hollywood sticker and label), the disc no longer plays properly. It does not even boot most of the time, and when it does, it freezes pretty quickly...

Bishman

dark10x said:
A friend of mine purchased a copy of Klonoa on eBay, and it had a Hollywood Video sticker on it. Upon trying to peel it off, it also pulled off the disc label. Even when placing it carefully back on the disc (that is, the entire Hollywood sticker and label), the disc no longer plays properly. It does not even boot most of the time, and when it does, it freezes pretty quickly...

We should complain to the manager and maybe something might get done.

Hollywood

Banned
Well I don't think its the label side because like I said, the other side has some scratches and it works fine most of the time except in like two spots so far .. where it ends up chugging real slow before freezing. Seems like typical scratch stuff.

Gek54

dark10x said:

Did it work before he peeled it off?

vireland

I seriously doubt there is data on the actual label.

Here's a link that might help you understand (yeah, it's CD-R, but same idea, and I grabbed the first illustrated hit that came up on Google).

A scratch would have to be 1.2mm thick on the side you buff to be unfixable. That's the depth of the protective plastic (polycarb) layer.

On the label side, a scratch (or tear from a label sticking too much that you rip off) would have to go only 15 MICROMETERS thick (i.e. nothing at all - 1000 micrometers=1mm)

So on the shiny side, you need to do damage 1200 micrometers deep to take it beyond repair. On the label side 15 micrometers will do the deed. Ergo, if part of the label came up with the sticker, you're probably hosed because 15 micrometers is almost like nothing at all to take off.

Now, if someone else needs to pull labels and would like to end up with functional discs, I would recommend a hair dryer to LIGHTLY heat the label area and soften the adhesive before trying to remove. Use goo gone (NOT GOOF OFF) to remove the gum left. WD-40 will also do the trick.

Sein

Neo Member
vireland said:
Yeah, but Ebay is a different animal. I've never had a problem with an Ebay used purchase, but they're usually collectible games that are taken care of by the owners. Teh EB/Gamestop/Game Crazy used circus is completely different. If you're going to do it, DEFINITELY inspect the discs before leaving the store, and make SURE to do the pinhole light test. A disc can look fresh and still be unplayable because of this.

Pinhole light test?

Hollywood

Banned
That would make sense if I didn't have MechAssualt for XBox and have the entire label side scratched off and it still worked. And on my Onimishu game, there's enough on the label side gone if there were data affected, that the game wouldnt even run.

I've been messing with the disc, there's this scratch on the other side thats a little deep, I don't have a buffer but when I put CD cleaner on it or whatever, it wont freeze as much . It needed to be buffed and it will fix. I got a CD Doctor coming in the mail soon.

vireland

Pinhole light test?

From earlier in this thread:

"3. The disc has been flexed and the seal between the two layers has been broken, letting air in, and oxidizing the CD medium away. You can check for this by holding the disc up to light and looking at the non-label side. If you can see pinholes of light, that disc is toast, and the holes will get bigger as the CD literally rusts away inside. It's actually more common that most people realize, and VERY common on EB/Gamestop chain used games, especially of the PS vintage where they've had time to oxidize if the disc was over-flexed, breaking the seal."

I only buy games I REALLY want for retail (or if Fry's has a good deal).

If am able to hold out about 2 or 3 months, I go on ebay and get it for much cheaper...
If a game is used, I always email the seller and ask if the disk has any scratches. I only buy if they say scratch free, they have been honest 100% of the time so far. I have purchased about 20 games this generation from ebay this way.

I never buy used games from the store anymore, they are usually in horrible shape. Ebay has been good to me, being the cheap ass gamer I am.

Top Bottom