• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Fighter |OT| Fighting in dungeons time.

New Moves are learned every 5 levels, so at 5, 10, 15, expect to see a new skill that can be bought.

Most skills level every 2-3 levels after that. Most passive/mastery skills cap out around level 10. Check the skill planner or the wiki in the OP for more info.

Kintaro said:
Any clue which weapon type is best for Grapplers?

Cookie cutter? Tonfas PvE, gauntlets PvP.

Tonfas give less damage, more def and a little better range on melee attacks, they also don't increase the cost of skills like gauntlets do but gauntlets give more damage and hit stun, have less range and ups MP used for physical skills. Tonfas are the middle ground for fighters and pretty much all sub-classes can use them well, they even have skills for pretty much every class on them.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
tiltnkirby said:
Cookie cutter? Tonfas PvE, gauntlets PvP.

Tonfas give less damage, more def and a little better range on melee attacks, they also don't increase the cost of skills like gauntlets do but gauntlets give more damage and hit stun, have less range and ups MP used for physical skills. Tonfas are the middle ground for fighters and pretty much all sub-classes can use them well, they even have skills for pretty much every class on them.

Thanks.

So, I'm in Sky Tower. First time doing it. Wrecking house. I get to the boss room and it has some statue in the middle. I hit and demons pop out. I figure I need to break or something and then KABLAMMO! DEMONS OF HELL! I CAN'T MOVE. WHY AM I DYING SO FAST? OH GOD WHYYY. o_O

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
tiltnkirby said:
Solo'ing the first two dungeons you run is standard. Once you being Mirkwood dungeon, that's when people start to party up, it's not really hard, but it makes style and tech quests a lot easier to do with more people. With that said, it's tougher to do the "Don't get hit X amount" quests in a party, it's best to just go back later on and do them yourself on normal road. And if you ever need it, use a revival token to erase all your hits.

Forgot to add, join the channel with the same name as the dungeons you are running, like Mirkwood, thunderland and all those belong to the Grand Flores dungeon set, so joining the Grand Flores channel will help you party with people around your level, plus you get bonus EXP for running those dungeon sets on that channel.

As for finding/forming a party, just check in the menus at the bottom or press [ to bring up the party window.

If you hit "n" in a dungeon, it'll bring up the map for it. Handy for finding the boss room or hell mode enabled rooms.

Those are very very good tips!

BattleMonkey said:
Seeing as they use sprites, assume there is very little character customization outside of color swaps?

You buy avatar items to change your look.

You can gain avatars by using real money to buy tokens and using them in a gumball machine style way, where you can select the slot you want, but the look and stats on them are totally random.

Or

Buy them from players . Players sell the unwanted avatars in their shops for in-game gold. The good ones can be pricey but a lot of the normal ones aren't really that bad nowadays.

SpiderJerusalem said:
this is pretty cool

I guess.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
tiltnkirby said:
You buy avatar items to change your look.

You can gain avatars by using real money to buy tokens and using them in a gumball machine style way, where you can select the slot you want, but the look and stats on them are totally random.

Or

Buy them from players . Players sell the unwanted avatars in their shops for in-game gold. The good ones can be pricey but a lot of the normal ones aren't really that bad nowadays.

I guess.

How important are avatars vs say, life tokens? I have 50,000 to spend and I'm a Lvl 12 F.Gunner. What should I spend my money on?

isamu said:
How important are avatars vs say, life tokens? I have 50,000 to spend and I'm a Lvl 12 F.Gunner. What should I spend my money on?

You are given 3 life tokens a day to spend. You can never be given more then 3 a day from the game and it can get kinda tricky so I'll just straight out write all the shit.

New characters are given 5 or 10 tokens starting out. You will not be given more tokens from the game till you dip below 3. Now, every single day you dip below 3, at 6am server time(PDT) you'll be reset to 3 tokens. Now, tokens gotten from guilds are a different story as they are treated as a different group from your daily 3 tokens so that it'll use your daily 3 first to revive then your extra tokens, so you can still keep using only 3 a day and still be given back 3, even if you have an extra, say 30 tokens from buying/guild tokens.

Now, I have no idea why I did that but TL;DR life tokens are great but you're given 3 a day and how often are you getting downed that you need to revive more then 3 times a day?

Avatars on the other hand are super important, to the extreme. PvP is all about speed and reactions so speed is key. Movement speed, attack speed and casting speed all being the target avatars to get.

Casting: Hat and hair avatars
Attack speed: Face and Torso
Movement: Uhhh, boots.

Some things just are not possible without avatars to speed you up and it's no surprise that those avatars sell for the most.

Now, with that out of the way, we currently have 3 types of avatars with a 4th somewhere down the road. The types being: Normal, Premium, advance and the later to be released Rare.
(Attack/casting/movement)
Normal: 4/10/4
Advance/Prem: 5/12/5
Rare: 6/14/6

Advance avatars also have a set bonus for collecting 3, 5 and 8 pieces of advance. The bonus isn't big but it's still there.
Premium are just like advance but come with something extra and are only around for special events. Like the animal avatars have extra stats like +15 int on body pieces or the current team sport avatars having an extra 15 to all stats if you buy the pack.
Rare avatars have the biggest bonus of all of the avatars but also come with a way bigger set bonus. Once you wear 8 rare avatars, your town movement is increased by 60%, 3% more cast/attack/movement, 25 to all stats, +9 kg weight, 1% hit/evasion and a few others on top of what the avatars give. Needless to say, a person rocking a full set of rares is going to be all over the place.

If you had to spend your money on something in this game, it would have to be avatars. The shitty thing about the NA system is it's just like the JP version where you buy tokens then use them to generate a random avatar with a random stat, the best you can do is pick which slot you want. A few horror stories is a guy on the Nexon forums spending 350+ bucks to get the set he wanted and I don't think he ever did. In the Korean version you just buy the avatars from the shop. You pick the item, pick the stats and done. It looks like our version is going to use both systems but putting more weight to the JP gumball machine system then the KR pick your parts system.

And since you'll have a ton of useless avatars, why not buy a shop to sell 'em all in. Also at least get the safe upgrade once, it's the best 1 buck you'll spend in this game, I'd suggest doing that for a few other characters to help store stuff but that's really up to you and how much you like to collect stuff.

Might as well toss this in here:
dfoscreenshot00106.jpg

Because you can never summon enough Tau monsters to bash stuff.

Cirruss said:
So I am assuming there is no way for me to play this in the EU without finding some proxy to use? :/

Yeah, sorry 'bout that. If it's a crappy proxy, you can at least play solo but that's not really fun.

Also, I was giving some thought about it and if anyone wants a guild, I do have an alt guild for anyone interested. Guilds can hold 300 people and only 12 spots are taken so far, so you can join if you'd like. This is just an alt guild for dicking around, so as long as you can handle that, we'll be cool.

Well just converted my priest to a crusader and it might have been a mistake, pain in the ass to solo anything now =x.

Character name = Evilpig (lvl 24 crusader at post time)

evilpigking said:
Well just converted my priest to a crusader and it might have been a mistake, pain in the ass to solo anything now =x.

Character name = Evilpig (lvl 24 crusader at post time)

Be sure to get giant weapon launcher to 5 and the cancel, smasher 1, phoenix hammer 1. Second uppercut if you think you'll use it and lucky straight can also be taken but it'll be a lot more useful later on.

Crusader isn't a class you can really solo with, not right now at least. So it's best to just learn some key buffs and support people to level.

tiltnkirby said:
Be sure to get giant weapon launcher to 5 and the cancel, smasher 1, phoenix hammer 1. Second uppercut if you think you'll use it and lucky straight can also be taken but it'll be a lot more useful later on.

Crusader isn't a class you can really solo with, not right now at least. So it's best to just learn some key buffs and support people to level.

Turns out I didnt really know how the party system worked. Now that I do I've just be doing 4 mans with some fighting some hiding and it's worked out well.

isamu

tiltnkirby said:
You are given 3 life tokens a day to spend. You can never be given more then 3 a day from the game and it can get kinda tricky so I'll just straight out write all the shit.

New characters are given 5 or 10 tokens starting out. You will not be given more tokens from the game till you dip below 3. Now, every single day you dip below 3, at 6am server time(PDT) you'll be reset to 3 tokens. Now, tokens gotten from guilds are a different story as they are treated as a different group from your daily 3 tokens so that it'll use your daily 3 first to revive then your extra tokens, so you can still keep using only 3 a day and still be given back 3, even if you have an extra, say 30 tokens from buying/guild tokens.

Now, I have no idea why I did that but TL;DR life tokens are great but you're given 3 a day and how often are you getting downed that you need to revive more then 3 times a day?

Avatars on the other hand are super important, to the extreme. PvP is all about speed and reactions so speed is key. Movement speed, attack speed and casting speed all being the target avatars to get.

Casting: Hat and hair avatars
Attack speed: Face and Torso
Movement: Uhhh, boots.

Some things just are not possible without avatars to speed you up and it's no surprise that those avatars sell for the most.

Now, with that out of the way, we currently have 3 types of avatars with a 4th somewhere down the road. The types being: Normal, Premium, advance and the later to be released Rare.
(Attack/casting/movement)
Normal: 4/10/4
Advance/Prem: 5/12/5
Rare: 6/14/6

Advance avatars also have a set bonus for collecting 3, 5 and 8 pieces of advance. The bonus isn't big but it's still there.
Premium are just like advance but come with something extra and are only around for special events. Like the animal avatars have extra stats like +15 int on body pieces or the current team sport avatars having an extra 15 to all stats if you buy the pack.
Rare avatars have the biggest bonus of all of the avatars but also come with a way bigger set bonus. Once you wear 8 rare avatars, your town movement is increased by 60%, 3% more cast/attack/movement, 25 to all stats, +9 kg weight, 1% hit/evasion and a few others on top of what the avatars give. Needless to say, a person rocking a full set of rares is going to be all over the place.

If you had to spend your money on something in this game, it would have to be avatars. The shitty thing about the NA system is it's just like the JP version where you buy tokens then use them to generate a random avatar with a random stat, the best you can do is pick which slot you want. A few horror stories is a guy on the Nexon forums spending 350+ bucks to get the set he wanted and I don't think he ever did. In the Korean version you just buy the avatars from the shop. You pick the item, pick the stats and done. It looks like our version is going to use both systems but putting more weight to the JP gumball machine system then the KR pick your parts system.

And since you'll have a ton of useless avatars, why not buy a shop to sell 'em all in. Also at least get the safe upgrade once, it's the best 1 buck you'll spend in this game, I'd suggest doing that for a few other characters to help store stuff but that's really up to you and how much you like to collect stuff.

Might as well toss this in here:
dfoscreenshot00106.jpg

Because you can never summon enough Tau monsters to bash stuff.

Awesome post Kirby! Thanks for those tips dude.

OK here's the deal.... I have taken your advice and have bought myself an avatar package for myself. It's the F.Gunner "Home" avatar package. That's just for me.

But, I have also bought an Arad trading card as well so I can open up a shop. I want to start buying and selling avatars, but there are so many types to choose from.

I have 25000 Nx credits left and want start selling some avatars. For selling purposes only, should I spend my nx on tokens for the gumball machine and hope that I get a good avatar to sell? Or should I simply buy them directly from the item shop?

Also, when you set up a shop, do you have to hang around and monitor it? Or can you walk away and do something else like a quest or whatever? For example, can people buy some avatars from my shop while I'm doing a quest for Kiri?

Kintaro

Someone bought me some NX points, but the only premium avatars for my Fighter/Grappler are the fugly sports themed ones. Blargh. Pass.

Suplexing mobs for days is so much fun though. Can't wait to unleash the real awesome attacks as I level up.

evilpigking said:
Turns out I didnt really know how the party system worked. Now that I do I've just be doing 4 mans with some fighting some hiding and it's worked out well.

Yeah, sounds like you're kickin' some ass now.

Something to note, that max HP/MP buff, if you plan on leveling that up make sure you get the add-on to it later on that makes it a party buff and not single and start using it then, honestly, I'm no sure how good that skill is, since everyone's mission is to take the least amount of hits they can, maybe useful for the harder ancient dungeons/Hell mode.

isamu said:
Awesome post Kirby! Thanks for those tips dude.

OK here's the deal.... I have taken your advice and have bought myself an avatar package for myself. It's the F.Gunner "Home" avatar package. That's just for me.

But, I have also bought an Arad trading card as well so I can open up a shop. I want to start buying and selling avatars, but there are so many types to choose from.

I have 25000 Nx credits left and want start selling some avatars. For selling purposes only, should I spend my nx on tokens for the gumball machine and hope that I get a good avatar to sell? Or should I simply buy them directly from the item shop?

Also, when you set up a shop, do you have to hang around and monitor it? Or can you walk away and do something else like a quest or whatever? For example, can people buy some avatars from my shop while I'm doing a quest for Kiri?

A shop requires you to sit in town and vend. The good thing about that trading thing is it's amount bound so any character can vend but that doesn't change the fact you need to sit in town to do it.

The current avatars you can buy directly from the shop are character bound and CAN NOT be traded. However, if you buy the avatar pack, those CAN be traded. I think a nice rule for the way things are going are: If you can pick the item you want, you can not trade it. If the avatar/stats on the avatar piece is random, then you can trade it. Think of it as a reward for taking a crap shoot in the dark.

Kintaro said:
Someone bought me some NX points, but the only premium avatars for my Fighter/Grappler are the fugly sports themed ones. Blargh. Pass.

Suplexing mobs for days is so much fun though. Can't wait to unleash the real awesome attacks as I level up.

I hope you get some attack and movement speed. Maybe even some evasion too. Casting is nice but not really required as a grappler.

isamu

tiltnkirby said:
A shop requires you to sit in town and vend. The good thing about that trading thing is it's amount bound so any character can vend but that doesn't change the fact you need to sit in town to do it.

The current avatars you can buy directly from the shop are character bound and CAN NOT be traded. However, if you buy the avatar pack, those CAN be traded. I think a nice rule for the way things are going are: If you can pick the item you want, you can not trade it. If the avatar/stats on the avatar piece is random, then you can trade it. Think of it as a reward for taking a crap shoot in the dark.

Whoah, thanks for that important tip! May have saved me from wasting some precious Nx there. OK so what about buying avatar packs vs buying avatar tokens and spending them on the gumball machine? The ones you get from the GB Machine can be traded and sold, right? Having to sit there and vend in realtime is kind of a bummer though.

Also, a totally unrelated question...what do the different colors in the Quest texts represent? Some are yellow, some are green and some are red.

Tried making a gunner and mage alt. Not really feeling the gunner, might stick with the mage as a second character but I can't even do mirkwood bet solo haha.

Kintaro

tiltnkirby said:
I hope you get some attack and movement speed. Maybe even some evasion too. Casting is nice but not really required as a grappler.

I haven't gotten anything yet. Just saving the NX. So, basically spending the money on avatar tokens for the avatar gumball machine is the way to go eh?

isamu said:
Whoah, thanks for that important tip! May have saved me from wasting some precious Nx there. OK so what about buying avatar packs vs buying avatar tokens and spending them on the gumball machine? The ones you get from the GB Machine can be traded and sold, right? Having to sit there and vend in realtime is kind of a bummer though.

Also, a totally unrelated question...what do the different colors in the Quest texts represent? Some are yellow, some are green and some are red.

I'm not sure how much people would be willing to pay for the whole set. That set needs to be combined with the same set(Home, Away, Champ, whatever the last one is) in order to get the set bonus. Can't have 7 Home pieces and 1 away from those packs. If you got lucky and get some casting/attack avatars from that set, you could sell those for like, 22 million or more. Both are equally as risky when you come down to it.
1)GM machine can turn out normal or advance with random stats but you can pick as many hairs/hat/whatever you want, plus a few of those avatars are in higher demand for the looks.
2)Buying the team pack will get you a whole set but each piece will be random. Get a few good pieces could make you a pretty penny but you'll only have 1 shot since you have about 25,000 left.

I say, whichever one you feel the strongest luck from and shoot for the moon.

For quests, red is at or above your current level, yellow means it's a few levels below you, green is a few more after that and gray is like, 8-10 levels below. Think of it as a way to gauge the toughness.

evilpigking said:
Tried making a gunner and mage alt. Not really feeling the gunner, might stick with the mage as a second character but I can't even do mirkwood bet solo haha.

Gunners ain't real exciting at the start, need more skills to be fun.

Mages are terrible characters till around 7 or 8. Easiest way to level is to get pluto and level that or magic missile, if you do take magic missile be sure to fully charge it so it can pierce better and do more damage. Pluto will be a real MP hog at your level but it's really powerful and it ignores walls, so sniping people and things behind them is an option. Might as well level Ancient Library for free MP and whatever else you want to level.

I took pluto, fireball, magic missile and a ton of other stuff for all my mages and liked magic missile, pluto and ancient library the best, also getting the summon Hodor ain't bad if you got the points.

Every mage wants 1 level into phase shift and getting mana shield is up to the player for PvE but required if you even think about PvP'ing at all, period.

Also, if you do plan to get mana shield, know that later on: mana shield, phase shift, magic festival, elemental burn, weapon uppercut, dragon fang, palm blast and I think ancient library will become uncapped for all the mage classes. SO! Make sure you plan ahead for level 10 mana shield for all mage classes you want that shield on.

Kintaro

About the avatar stuff. Can you buy them, use them yourself then trade them? Or are they like bound on equip?

Also, any tips on a 2nd character? Slayer was kind of fun, but a different type of fun. Eh, maybe I'll make a Striker or Nen Master...

Kintaro said:
About the avatar stuff. Can you buy them, use them yourself then trade them? Or are they like bound on equip?

Also, any tips on a 2nd character? Slayer was kind of fun, but a different type of fun. Eh, maybe I'll make a Striker or Nen Master...

Any avatar that isn't character bound is free to roam anywhere. Wear it for a day, pass it to another character, have a friend borrow it, he sells and forgets to tell you about it. The only avatars that are character bound are event quest avatar items and avatars you buy directly from the item shop by picking your stats.

No idea on that 2nd character my friend. Each of the main classes can turn to something different depending on the sub-class you pick for them.

I really enjoyed my witch, hate my 46 summoner and kinda hate my 40 elementalist. Fucked up on my battle mage, crusader, blademaster. Have a launcher and a spitfire, they're okay but not my cup o' tea.

Got anything you really want to try? Like tossing people around, combo whoring, smashing stuff, supportive, GOD DAMNED RIGGED. Stuff like that.

tiltnkirby said:
Mages are terrible characters till around 7 or 8. Easiest way to level is to get pluto and level that or magic missile, if you do take magic missile be sure to fully charge it so it can pierce better and do more damage. Pluto will be a real MP hog at your level but it's really powerful and it ignores walls, so sniping people and things behind them is an option. Might as well level Ancient Library for free MP and whatever else you want to level.

I took pluto, fireball, magic missile and a ton of other stuff for all my mages and liked magic missile, pluto and ancient library the best, also getting the summon Hodor ain't bad if you got the points.

Every mage wants 1 level into phase shift and getting mana shield is up to the player for PvE but required if you even think about PvP'ing at all, period.

I don't have any intention to pvp. I got Hodor 1, really just playing around since it will get reset on class switch anyway. Pretty much put a point into everything. Not really liking the lightning orb thing, takes too long to charge and basically needs to be used point blank. The fireball seems like a weaker magic missile with less diversity, but it is also level 1 while missile is at 3 so it isn't particularly fair comparison.

Edit: After getting a new weapon, fireball definitely scales better but the aoe requires them to be grouped instead of missile's pierce style.

Kintaro

tiltnkirby said:
Any avatar that isn't character bound is free to roam anywhere. Wear it for a day, pass it to another character, have a friend borrow it, he sells and forgets to tell you about it. The only avatars that are character bound are event quest avatar items and avatars you buy directly from the item shop by picking your stats.

No idea on that 2nd character my friend. Each of the main classes can turn to something different depending on the sub-class you pick for them.

I really enjoyed my witch, hate my 46 summoner and kinda hate my 40 elementalist. Fucked up on my battle mage, crusader, blademaster. Have a launcher and a spitfire, they're okay but not my cup o' tea.

Got anything you really want to try? Like tossing people around, combo whoring, smashing stuff, supportive, GOD DAMNED RIGGED. Stuff like that.

Thanks. I think I'll stick to the Fighters. I love, LOVE hand to hand fighters in MMOs.

I think I'll have fun and try out the random avatar machine thinger. :D

Man, Vistibule (sp) of Darkness Kings Road kicks my ass though.

Anyway updating my characters: if I'm on I'll probably be on either

Evilpig - Support Crusader now level 27
Enkira (I think that's the name...) - Mage lvl 7ish

Feel free to whisper me or w/e. Evilpig is just starting Behemoth but I'm still game for Sky tower stuff.

I can't do it tonight, but I'd love to start a NeoGaf guild... I already have a guild going, called NamakoTeam... Maybe we can make that into a NeoGaf Guild and go raiding?

I have a level 32 Nen Master, and I just started a Female Gunner named Bijinder along with my male Gunner, named Hakaider. :D

LEt's play sometime! PM Me and we can try to get a group going.

isamu

What is the best way to achieve an S or at least an A grade during a solo PVE Dungeon run, particularly with an F.Gunner? Is it all about keeping your style percentage high? Your Technique high? Or keeping your hits to a minimum? I just advanced to a Ranger for the first time, and Kiri wants me to go to Sky Tower and achieve an minimum of an A rank for a quest there. Don't know how I'm gonna do it, especially alone.

Also, why is it that every time you enter a new room with monsters, your style and technique percentages decreases around 5% as soon as you start attacking? Very strange.

isamu said:
What is the best way to achieve an S or at least an A grade during a solo PVE Dungeon run, particularly with an F.Gunner? Is it all about keeping your style percentage high? Your Technique high? Or keeping your hits to a minimum? I just advanced to a Ranger for the first time, and Kiri wants me to go to Sky Tower and achieve an minimum of an A rank for a quest there. Don't know how I'm gonna do it, especially alone.

Also, why is it that every time you enter a new room with monsters, your style and technique percentages decreases around 5% as soon as you start attacking? Very strange.
To get a high rank you'll want to do one of the following:
1) Keep an ok percentage for tech and style with a lot of rooms cleared, hit becomes less of a concern with more rooms cleared but don't drop the ball totally here.

Or

2) High style and tech with low hits with a boss rush.

The more rooms you clear, I believe the most total style/tech points you are allowed to have. You'll notice that by doing full clears, that the game allows for a lot more hits before a rank is lowered. I've SS ranked a dungeon with 54 hits on a full clear while as little as 13 hits would be enough to lower be to "A" in a straight rush.

Style is from combos over 5 hits, air combos and from others attack the same monster as you. Caps at 85%.

Tech is from overkill, doing over 30% of the monster's HP in damage, back attacks and counter attacks. Caps at 100%

As a fgunner it'll be tough to get that tech, I suggest grabbing a party, you'll get both of those in one run and likely get an "A" as well. If that's not an option, use rising shot and Marilyn Rose to toss people into the air and fire at them a few times before they hit the floor. Tech will be the hardest one solo as a fgunner and you'll just have to topspin people and hope for counters/back attacks.

This system will later be taken out in place of a new grading system that grade based on total time taken and how often you combo, that's it. The only way hits will be taken into account will be for the GSD missions in sky tower.

isamu

tiltnkirby said:
To get a high rank you'll want to do one of the following:
1) Keep an ok percentage for tech and style with a lot of rooms cleared, hit becomes less of a concern with more rooms cleared but don't drop the ball totally here.

Or

2) High style and tech with low hits with a boss rush.

The more rooms you clear, I believe the most total style/tech points you are allowed to have. You'll notice that by doing full clears, that the game allows for a lot more hits before a rank is lowered. I've SS ranked a dungeon with 54 hits on a full clear while as little as 13 hits would be enough to lower be to "A" in a straight rush.

Style is from combos over 5 hits, air combos and from others attack the same monster as you. Caps at 85%.

Tech is from overkill, doing over 30% of the monster's HP in damage, back attacks and counter attacks. Caps at 100%

As a fgunner it'll be tough to get that tech, I suggest grabbing a party, you'll get both of those in one run and likely get an "A" as well. If that's not an option, use rising shot and Marilyn Rose to toss people into the air and fire at them a few times before they hit the floor. Tech will be the hardest one solo as a fgunner and you'll just have to topspin people and hope for counters/back attacks.

This system will later be taken out in place of a new grading system that grade based on total time taken and how often you combo, that's it. The only way hits will be taken into account will be for the GSD missions in sky tower.

Y'know, it's funny.... I asked and posted the same question about what it takes to get a high grade at DFOSource.com, and although there were a few helpful replies, none of them were as good or informative as yours. Thanks so much for that valuable reply. Very useful and informative.

I'll definitely try to keep my hits to a minimum, but it's certainly something that gets harder as your progress in pve.

isamu said:
Y'know, it's funny.... I asked and posted the same question about what it takes to get a high grade at DFOSource.com, and although there were a few helpful replies, none of them were as good or informative as yours. Thanks so much for that valuable reply. Very useful and informative.

I'll definitely try to keep my hits to a minimum, but it's certainly something that gets harder as your progress in pve.

You know, I'm not a real big fan of DFOsource. Those sites are good at finding some key info but a lot of it does require some diggin' around. They also get so set in their ways it develops a sort of elitism with the membership and I've dealt with that enough in the past to avoid doing it now. Again, they do hold good info, but maybe let google help sort some of the junk.

A quick comment on that last part, because a lot of people seem to do this:

Don't be afraid to party. It's a beat 'em up MMO, the MMO part should not click in your mind that you need to form the standard tank, heal support party. No, you should just party up with others to get dungeons done faster and with more EXP. You will progress, I'm not joking, 2-3x faster with a party then trying to solo all your quests all the time. Now, I'm not picking on you isamu, but a lot of people I've helped and know tend to just solo all the time and always ask for my help to finish simple quests that any party could have done. I use to think the same way too when I first started but I just started to party and it was just easy. Open the window, look for a party and click on it to require an invite. Even if you do happen to die from something you do not know from the dungeon I.E Shadowland's boss aura hurting people that don't jump every few seconds, you still got tokens to make up for this or even just run the dungeon once solo when you unlock it to see how it is. Also, try to find a master's party, or expert's to a lesser degree, as soon as you get to the next dungeon and most times people will S-rank it, giving you access to all the roads for one simple run, pretty nifty.

Quick heads up since I'm talking about dungeons and hazards, ancient dungeons...They are the rule breakers and you can not go head first into this thinking you'll come out on top, even with coins. First off, the team, that's right the team is limited not you, to 3 coins a dungeon run. Couple that with better, beefy monsters with different attacks/patterns that even on normal they will kill you in a few seconds, in the first room no less. You also are required to use a special item to enter each time, so unless you've been farming the upper level dungeons, around 35-50, then you'll lack the items to enter it on a regular basis. Do some homework, the DFO home site has an article on it, lots of good info.

isamu

tiltnkirby said:
You know, I'm not a real big fan of DFOsource. Those sites are good at finding some key info but a lot of it does require some diggin' around. They also get so set in their ways it develops a sort of elitism with the membership and I've dealt with that enough in the past to avoid doing it now. Again, they do hold good info, but maybe let google help sort some of the junk.

A quick comment on that last part, because a lot of people seem to do this:

Don't be afraid to party. It's a beat 'em up MMO, the MMO part should not click in your mind that you need to form the standard tank, heal support party. No, you should just party up with others to get dungeons done faster and with more EXP. You will progress, I'm not joking, 2-3x faster with a party then trying to solo all your quests all the time. Now, I'm not picking on you isamu, but a lot of people I've helped and know tend to just solo all the time and always ask for my help to finish simple quests that any party could have done. I use to think the same way too when I first started but I just started to party and it was just easy. Open the window, look for a party and click on it to require an invite. Even if you do happen to die from something you do not know from the dungeon I.E Shadowland's boss aura hurting people that don't jump every few seconds, you still got tokens to make up for this or even just run the dungeon once solo when you unlock it to see how it is. Also, try to find a master's party, or expert's to a lesser degree, as soon as you get to the next dungeon and most times people will S-rank it, giving you access to all the roads for one simple run, pretty nifty.

Quick heads up since I'm talking about dungeons and hazards, ancient dungeons...They are the rule breakers and you can not go head first into this thinking you'll come out on top, even with coins. First off, the team, that's right the team is limited not you, to 3 coins a dungeon run. Couple that with better, beefy monsters with different attacks/patterns that even on normal they will kill you in a few seconds, in the first room no less. You also are required to use a special item to enter each time, so unless you've been farming the upper level dungeons, around 35-50, then you'll lack the items to enter it on a regular basis. Do some homework, the DFO home site has an article on it, lots of good info.

Good stuff, thanks man. I'll keep that in mind.

Man either I had some really awesome Sky Tower groups or the intelligence quotient seems to have dropped from Sky Tower to Behemoth. Some of these people are really bad.

evilpigking said:
Man either I had some really awesome Sky Tower groups or the intelligence quotient seems to have dropped from Sky Tower to Behemoth. Some of these people are really bad.

Both. Careful of the plants, they explode on fire damage, and elemental spirits in those dungeons, well come to think of it, it's just stalkers and wisps. These two are some of the most annoying ones to deal with. Wisps will react to attacks by warping to the attack's back and it happens more often with magic attacks, in addition to having a fast, long range attack that can stun AND on top of that it can reflect light-based magic/skills so if someone fires a nen shot or a flash bang don't be surprised if you get hit outta, what it seems, nowhere. Stalkers are just magic resistant assholes that have a surprisingly big attack range and attack with zero warning and they curse, more annoying then a threat really.

Once you hit 1st and 2nd spine, you'll need to use mana potions or just tighten your mana belt, because those are some long dungeons with limited to no heal fairies.

Also, to show a little love to my most hated class, summoner pictures.

dfoscreenshot00117.jpg

dfoscreenshot00118.jpg

I'd have liked to post better pictures but you'd be surprised how bad a lot of them turned out with all the flashing and animations.

Nice. To be fair though, I can't see what the hell is going on most of the time anyway with slayer spells and the like covering the screen.

Evilpig to level 30~ finally get some new spells to dink around with.

isamu

Guys, need your advice....the game frequently tells me I am better off equipping leather armors for my F.Gunner. But often times, I'll pick up what appears to be some excellent heavy or light armor that significantly increases my physical defense, and yet is still labeled as "weak" or "inferior"(why is this by the way?).

In your opinion, do you recommend equipping my gunner with only leather armor for the class-armor benefits and perks, or am I better off with other types of armor as well? Is the increased physical defense worth the tradeoff in class-armor benefits? What do you guys suggest?

isamu said:
Guys, need your advice....the game frequently tells me I am better off equipping leather armors for my F.Gunner. But often times, I'll pick up what appears to be some excellent heavy or light armor that significantly increases my physical defense, and yet is still labeled as "weak" or "inferior"(why is this by the way?).

In your opinion, do you recommend equipping my gunner with only leather armor for the class-armor benefits and perks, or am I better off with other types of armor as well? Is the increased physical defense worth the tradeoff in class-armor benefits? What do you guys suggest?

If you wear stuff too heavy for your class, you start to take penalties. Armor mastery gives a heck of a lot of stuff to the way your class works, like adding more attack speed and critical rate to rangers, better mana regen for mages or more STR and INT for brawlers. The thing is, you have the mastery skills for a reason and you should use the armor that your class wears for the extra stats it gives. Very few times will you ever have to mix armor around.

Lets say you decide to wear heavy armor in place of that leather armor. Taking 10% less damage is nice but you gotta deal with slower movement from the heavy armor, slowing your attack speed, mana regen and other stats. So, not only do you give up your 20% attack speed boost from leather, you are now 20% slower with lower crit rate and mana regen but you take 10% less damage. It's not that great of a trade-off. Plus, if you wanted more armor, just upgrade your armor to 10 or more to really stack on the armor.

Fact is, the armor mastery is there for a reason and each class should wear the armor that their class uses well for the extra boosts and should rarely, if ever, use an armor their class is not spec'd for me. Plus, you'll never see a plate armor set for rangers, only leather.

If you wanna see some super slow attack speed, wear plate/heavy armor as a gunner and use a hand cannon when you first start out. One shot every minute or what feels like a minute.

As for item quality, that only applies to the DEF/M.DEF or physical/magic attack power of an item. This just means that if you find a weak body armor, the DEF on it is on the low end of the range, it's not a lot and should not really concern you unless you wanna Min/Max this game. Even if the item is "weak", that doesn't mean the random base stats on it are in fact lower as well, it's not uncommon to have a "weak" rated armor beat all the other "stronger" piece with better base stats like STR or INT.

Ex.

Wool shirt
Exceptional
7 int spirit 6
160 def

Wool shirt
Weak
9 INT spirit 5
145 def

Nose Master

I heard they patched this to make the pacing / level progression a bit better... is it? It was a bit too Maple Story for me back when I tried it. Fun for a few hours, though.

isamu

Thanks tilt. What do you mean by the following?

tiltnkirby said:
if you wanted more armor, just upgrade your armor to 10 or more to

How exactly is this done? Never heard of such an ability.

Nose Master said:
I heard they patched this to make the pacing / level progression a bit better... is it? It was a bit too Maple Story for me back when I tried it. Fun for a few hours, though.

Commented on that on the first page, yes it was set back to normal around Christmas. Before, it was 40 million EXP to level from 39 to 40, now it's 6 million.

isamu said:
Thanks tilt. What do you mean by the following?

How exactly is this done? Never heard of such an ability.

Kiri, the gunner trainer can also upgrade armor or weapons. You'll need to bring Ryan Cokes from mini bosses and gold to her to upgrade. The item will not be lost when you upgrade it till 10, anything after 10 will now break the item if the upgrade fails.

I think it worked like this:
1-3 Safe failure=lost mats and gold
4-7 Failure=-1 item level (+6->+5); Lost mats/gold
8-10 Failure=Reset to +0 (+8 -> +0); Lost mats/gold
10+ Failure=Item loss; Lost mats/gold

The upgrades don't really start kicking in till 10, at which point it takes off exponentially but the risk grows greater with each upgrade attempt, with as low as a 40% chance to go from 11 -> 12.

Don't really try till later on, unless you got a lot of spare gold.

So what's a good build for a pve witch? I was thinking of just playing around but so many choices. I guess almost every build I've seen has light as one of the attributes for EMM be it minor or major (difference being befriend floriae and going down the list). I'm thinking maybe Ice and dark as full elements and EMM spam without Befriend Floriae.

Or assuming that the Witch will get a skill reset when the awakening comes, should I just master 3 elements and make a new build when the awakens come?

evilpigking said:
So what's a good build for a pve witch? I was thinking of just playing around but so many choices. I guess almost every build I've seen has light as one of the attributes for EMM be it minor or major (difference being befriend floriae and going down the list). I'm thinking maybe Ice and dark as full elements and EMM spam without Befriend Floriae.

Or assuming that the Witch will get a skill reset when the awakening comes, should I just master 3 elements and make a new build when the awakens come?

Witch should not get a skill reset once the patch hits, since nothing is added in, unlike the priest patch, which adds so many new skills that an SP reset is required.

The BEST PvE elements for witch are light and fire. EMM, lava potion, Jackyl and Raging furnace will all be your main tools at AoE'ing everything down in PvE. Ice is a pretty bad element to pick and the only reason to really go into it is to get acid rain and if you really like the ice car. If you have a lot of extra SP, taking magic missile as a filler attack as all your other stuff cools down ain't a bad option.

If you do like more casting speed on your witch, look into learning magic festival. Don't level shuru too much right now, put most of the levels into Jackyl instead for the power.

I'm running outta time here, so I'll just go over a few things about the patch I know of and maybe edit this later in the afternoon.

-Most skills do 2x more then before.
-Shuru/jackyl can now pull APC, mini-bosses and even bosses themselves(Not sure on this one) I don't know if it's Shuru that does this or Jackyl but it happens at level 5, 10, 15 of that skill.
-broomstick spin's confusion heals HP and MP every time is happens.
-Enhanced magic missile will now bounce 4 times on failure, up from 1. Less bounces on jackpot to make up for this.
-No one really seems to know, but in more recent videos of witch gameplay, the cooldown for EMM is set at 2 seconds, down from 6. I'm not sure if this is from gear, part of the witch/mage patch or part of a later patch.
-All skill failure rate lowered by 5%, gives all skills 2.5% normal and jackpot chance.
-I saw a video of a witch using Jackyl in the air, so I guess that'll be added.
-Uncapped Mana shield, Phase shift, weapon uppercut, palm blast, magic festival, elemental burn, Hodor, lasher and dragon fang.
-Ancient Library gives mana to the whole party and INT boost to you and the person you select.
-Black manteau becomes scaling damage. Loses invincibility frames in place of super armor.
-Flyswatter summons at 100% rate if it kills and summons better, more aggressive and stronger, monsters. They also seem to last longer as well.
-Flyswatter bounces enemies off the ground on hit.
-All riding type spells no longer give you total invincibility, you will now receive 20% of the damage it takes.
-Acid Rain and Lava potion duration set to the same.

tiltnkirby said:
Witch should not get a skill reset once the patch hits, since nothing is added in, unlike the priest patch, which adds so many new skills that an SP reset is required.

The BEST PvE elements for witch are light and fire. EMM, lava potion, Jackyl and Raging furnace will all be your main tools at AoE'ing everything down in PvE. Ice is a pretty bad element to pick and the only reason to really go into it is to get acid rain and if you really like the ice car.

If you do like more casting speed on your witch, look into learning magic festival. Don't level shuru too much right now, put most of the levels into Jackyl instead for the power.

I'm running outta time here, so I'll just go over a few things about the patch I know of and maybe edit this later in the afternoon.

-Most skills do 2x more damage.
-Shuru/jackyl can now pull APC, mini-bosses and even bosses themselves(Not sure on this one) I don't know if it's Shuru that does this or Jackyl but it happens at level 5, 10, 15 of that skill.
-broomstick spin's confusion heals HP and MP every time is happens.
-Enhanced magic missile will now bounce 4 times on failure, up from 1. Less bounces on jackpot to make up for this.
-All skills failure rate lowered by 5%, gives all skills 2.5% normal and jackpot chance.
-I saw a video of a witch using Jackyl in the air, so I guess that'll be added.
-Uncapped Mana shield, Phase shift, weapon uppercut, palm blast, magic festival, elemental burn, Hodor, lasher and dragon fang.
-Ancient Library gives mana to the whole party and INT boost to you and the person you select.

I'll give more details on stuff later, but I gotta hit the road sir. Hope that helps.

Hmm thanks, yeah the cool thing about ice was the drill tank thing. I guess I'll go light-fire and save a bunch of sp so I can get the awakenings and some other stuff post patch.

isamu

tinkerbay, how many total characters are we allowed to make in DFO? Also, can we make two characters of the same class?

isamu said:
tinkerbay, how many total characters are we allowed to make in DFO? Also, can we make two characters of the same class?
Pssh...

12. Sure, knock yourself out with whatever classes you want.

Also updating my last post.

isamu

tiltnkirby said:
Pssh...

12. Sure, knock yourself out with whatever classes you want.

Also updating my last post.

cool. I may just dew that :D

Top Bottom