• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Fighter |OT| Fighting in dungeons time.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
So, did 2nd Impact hit today?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
This game worth playing if I don't plan on investing any money into it?

isamu said:

That rant's from a year ago though. Does it still apply?

BTW, who's going to join the Rusty Hearts Beta? It's like a Castlevania Brawler.

Rhgoa.jpg

OyI6H.jpg

12f41b3bdd7503b4e9d538a162b8d5221310067789.jpg

902c8feee0ab0b4aa4438eed405b5e571310067850.jpg

Raide

Cow Mengde said:

BTW, who's going to join the Rusty Hearts Beta? It's like a Castlevania Brawler.

Rhgoa.jpg

OyI6H.jpg

I got my code all sorted, so it will be interesting to see what the Beta plays like.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Cow Mengde said:

That's a good question, since I haven't played it since then but plan to very soon, as soon as Ring's Castlevania Music Pack is complete. But the point is I don't think you can get much out of the game without spending some real cash on NX. You need a bigger safe for one, and more Life Tokens are pretty much a must. Game gets very hard after level 40, especially if you're a Ranger and doing PVE. I hear other classes are much stronger though. I plan on starting new characters from every class and just playing the game casually and for fun once I get back into it.

Rhgoa.jpg

OyI6H.jpg

Well, you've certainly brightened my day. That came out of NOWHERE!!! WOW. That game looks fucking awesome! A Castlevania-ish F2P MMO? Shit....I'm there. When is the full US release?

Close beta starts Wednesday. You can get beta keys here: http://www.alienwarearena.com/giveaway/rusty-hearts

They still have 6000+ keys to give away.

Videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HH4mJalArA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0oRLh9csGM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZVr8VNGljk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJXFp9i-_jQ&feature=related

Somebody start a thread about this.

The game is basically Vindictus/Dungeon Fighter with a more spook centric theme. When I say Castlevania-ish, I meant the setting.

Ken

Cow Mengde said:

Rhgoa.jpg

Thought that said Busty Hearts. Hmm...

isamu

Cow Mengde said:
Anyone want to start a thread for this game?

Fuck yes do it NAAAAOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Cow Mengde said:
I'll take a crack at this and say no.
A few things to note:
-Playing a ranger is a pretty tough job. You're going to need gear, lots and lots of good gear, it's just how ranger works. You'll be putting in lots of work to make this character good, a lot more then a lot of other classes.

-Potions were never a real problem in DFO, ever, well maybe if you just started out during the closed beta and the time before the auction house, maybe. Now and for a good while, we have had the AH to buy items from, potions included. If that wasn't enough, NPCs have been selling newbie level potions for a good 3-4 months.

-While I do agree that the game pretty much requires you to get a safe upgrade, you don't need one for a long time and you can just send a lot of your stuff to a bank mule to hold on to. Only invest in a safe upgrade if you are going to play DFO for a long time, if you're on the fence, just keep using bank mules. There are a ton of "free" NX offers on the Nexon website, a lot of them are pretty trashy form fill outs, nevertheless, there are a few good offers. One of those offers is signing up for a Netflix trial and get 15,000(15 bucks) NX from it, if you were going to get netflix anyway, you might as well get some free NX as you play DFO or can the trial after you get the 15k credited to your account. With that, you can buy one safe upgrade for your characters and still have tons left over for whatever.

isamu said:
That's a good question, since I haven't played it since then but plan to very soon, as soon as Ring's Castlevania Music Pack is complete. But the point is I don't think you can get much out of the game without spending some real cash on NX. You need a bigger safe for one, and more Life Tokens are pretty much a must. Game gets very hard after level 40, especially if you're a Ranger and doing PVE. I hear other classes are much stronger though. I plan on starting new characters from every class and just playing the game casually and for fun once I get back into it.

You can get a lot out of the game without buying the cash items. Avatars and other things are all open to you as long as you got the gold to do it with and the game is pretty good at giving you an okay chunk of money by level 35. Now, of course cash shop users have an edge over some people not using it, it'll always be the case but that's not to say you are going to be handicapped like some games, I.E Trickster comes to mind when I think about that, where for a long time, the highest level gear from PvE was level 120 in a game with a level 300 cap so the only way to advance gear-wise was to buy it from the shop, gosh I miss the opening days of that game. Anyway, point is, if you put in the time, you'll have the money to do it and decking your character out with at least basic avatars to help you level is pretty easily done with just the money you get from quest rewards.

Life tokens are mainly bought from the cash shop but there are events, like the current one running, that will reward you with a few extra a day, every day when you finish the event. The only place you need life tokens for nowadays is to: make up for your lack of familiarity with a dungeon, ancient dungeons, Otherverse(Level 60+ endgame dungeons for end game gear) or just using them to full heal yourself instead of using potions. You are given 3 tokens a day to spend as you wish and speaking from experience, back when we only had 1 token given to us a day, it still wasn't that bad leveling in the 30+. Now, less exp to level, everyone is stronger then before, a lot of the lower dungeons were nerfed at least three to four times ranging from monster damage, to boss regen/health and even the length of the dungeons themselves. It's pretty easy honestly, you can easily make your way into the late 20's and early 30's solo without a ton of problems.

Your experience isn't exactly unique and I happen to know of a few people with similar things to say about this topic but it also wasn't a hard one to avoid. Any game is going to run you over the coals but a little homework can always save a ton of headache.

Edit: How silly of me to not post a picture in awhile.
My 30-something battle mage taking on a 40+ Rogue with their fancy +12 weapon
And
2ecm8o5.jpg
Taken long ago, I'm level 70 now.

isamu

tiltnkirby said:
I'll take a crack at this and say no.
A few things to note:
-Playing a ranger is a pretty tough job. You're going to need gear, lots and lots of good gear, it's just how ranger works. You'll be putting in lots of work to make this character good, a lot more then a lot of other classes.

-Potions were never a real problem in DFO, ever, well maybe if you just started out during the closed beta and the time before the auction house, maybe. Now and for a good while, we have had the AH to buy items from, potions included. If that wasn't enough, NPCs have been selling newbie level potions for a good 3-4 months.

-While I do agree that the game pretty much requires you to get a safe upgrade, you don't need one for a long time and you can just send a lot of your stuff to a bank mule to hold on to. Only invest in a safe upgrade if you are going to play DFO for a long time, if you're on the fence, just keep using bank mules. There are a ton of "free" NX offers on the Nexon website, a lot of them are pretty trashy form fill outs, nevertheless, there are a few good offers. One of those offers is signing up for a Netflix trial and get 15,000(15 bucks) NX from it, if you were going to get netflix anyway, you might as well get some free NX as you play DFO or can the trial after you get the 15k credited to your account. With that, you can buy one safe upgrade for your characters and still have tons left over for whatever.

You can get a lot out of the game without buying the cash items. Avatars and other things are all open to you as long as you got the gold to do it with and the game is pretty good at giving you an okay chunk of money by level 35. Now, of course cash shop users have an edge over some people not using it, it'll always be the case but that's not to say you are going to be handicapped like some games, I.E Trickster comes to mind when I think about that, where for a long time, the highest level gear from PvE was level 120 in a game with a level 300 cap so the only way to advance gear-wise was to buy it from the shop, gosh I miss the opening days of that game. Anyway, point is, if you put in the time, you'll have the money to do it and decking your character out with at least basic avatars to help you level is pretty easily done with just the money you get from quest rewards.

Life tokens are mainly bought from the cash shop but there are events, like the current one running, that will reward you with a few extra a day, every day when you finish the event. The only place you need life tokens for nowadays is to: make up for your lack of familiarity with a dungeon, ancient dungeons, Otherverse(Level 60+ endgame dungeons for end game gear) or just using them to full heal yourself instead of using potions. You are given 3 tokens a day to spend as you wish and speaking from experience, back when we only had 1 token given to us a day, it still wasn't that bad leveling in the 30+. Now, less exp to level, everyone is stronger then before, a lot of the lower dungeons were nerfed at least three to four times ranging from monster damage, to boss regen/health and even the length of the dungeons themselves. It's pretty easy honestly, you can easily make your way into the late 20's and early 30's solo without a ton of problems.

Your experience isn't exactly unique and I happen to know of a few people with similar things to say about this topic but it also wasn't a hard one to avoid. Any game is going to run you over the coals but a little homework can always save a ton of headache.

Edit: How silly of me to not post a picture in awhile.
My 30-something battle mage taking on a 40+ Rogue with their fancy +12 weapon
And
2ecm8o5.jpg
Taken long ago, I'm level 70 now.

Tinkerby that was a very informative post. Thank you for those comments and suggestions. I will certainly keep what you have said in mind, once I get back into the game :)

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I still have 2 keys for the closed beta starting in 2 days (27th of July). First two posts will get one each.

Cow Mengde said:

Rhgoa.jpg

OyI6H.jpg

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Sure, I'll take one, my little brother got in, but not I. Would be a good way to join him ^_^ Thanks!

isamu

Just a heads up....Nexon is running daily sales now, and also they are giving 3x the exp and drop rats this weekend. So take advantage!

I started a new character...a Bersker. He coming along nicely :)

isamu said:
Just a heads up....Nexon is running daily sales now, and also they are giving 3x the exp and drop rats this weekend. So take advantage!

I started a new character...a Bersker. He coming along nicely :)

The sales aren't that great, you want the 100 life tokens for 100nx, which is easily gotten from those god damn offers.

Next week we have a new update and it adds in a few new things for lower level characters along with emblems to deck out your sweet rare avatar set. Oh and level 65 equipment but no one cares about that, unless you're lucky.

3x event is from 3-6pm PDT.

tiltnkirby said:
The sales aren't that great, you want the 100 life tokens for 100nx, which is easily gotten from those god damn offers.

Next week we have a new update and it adds in a few new things for lower level characters along with emblems to deck out your sweet rare avatar set. Oh and level 65 equipment but no one cares about that, unless you're lucky.

3x event is from 3-6pm PDT.

I care about the new equips...can finally buy some end game gear instead of the lame 60 weapons/equips. Got a 68 and 67 that could use some of that new gear. The new dungeons are gonna be tough so they will need it.

Ultratech

Welp, they got a nice little 3x EXP/Drop event going the entire weekend.
So it's a good time to get some levels in.

Also got Male Fighter finally coming with the next Act along with a bunch of other events.

Ultratech

Yeah, there's been some major updates in the last few months apparently...

First and foremost: DFO Season II: Act I: Revolution
00E1N-8845db94-e71f-448f-a8c1-16365b5d1048.jpg

Basically, this is sorta like Big Bang for DFO. Increased Resolution, updated systems, and all sorts of changes and stuff.
And of course, the Male Mage class!

Secondly, DFO is on Steam now:http://store.steampowered.com/app/212220/

And on top of that, there's a whole bunch of little events going on, so you can get EXP out the ass for now.

I still wanna play this from time to time but the damn hackshield files is giving me a bsod everytime. I have a lvl 70 mage. Did they increase the level cap?

Ultratech

I still wanna play this from time to time but the damn hackshield files is giving me a bsod everytime. I have a lvl 70 mage. Did they increase the level cap?

Nope. Funny enough, the Koreans just FINALLY got a level cap increase to 80 and a slew of new dungeons to boot. We probably won't see 'em for a while (i.e. 6 months to a year).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I reinstalled last night and took a Thief to level 7 or 8. I think I prefer that class over my Gunner at the moment. I definitely enjoy this more than any other Nexon game (except Dragons Nest, but Sharpshooters are apparently poo now, so I won't go back to that).

Beepos

Finally can play this from Australia.
The Oceanic servers seem quiet compared to other Nexon games.

The game is like an RPG version of Golden Axe, I love it!!
Is there any free programs to configure an xbox 360 controller to do more, I'm quite new to using it with the PC. The ingame settings doesn't allow the use of all buttons.

Necro ish type bump. But just found out DFO in the U.S. is closing for good in June. I know many people have stopped playing it, but I played it for a really long time before taking a break from it waiting for newer content. Just sad to see it going. :(

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Dear Dungeon Fighters,

In 2009, Nexon America was proud to release one of Nexon’s unique and most popular titles, Dungeon Fighter Online (DFO). Since the launch, Neople’s development team and Nexon America’s publishing team partnered to bring to you the action packed promise of DFO.

For more than three years, our teams worked hard in hopes of building a strong community through new content updates, service fixes, and events. We tirelessly battled hackers and farmers. We even had the honor of presenting the game to you at E3 and PAX. However, Dungeon Fighter Online was not able to grow beyond its very special and proud core following.

Sadly, Dungeon Fighter Online has not attracted enough player interest to properly service the game. Internally, we struggled deeply with the popularity of DFO in North America as the title is immensely popular overseas. For more than three years, we went through many milestones and several pushes before we came to this very difficult decision.

We sincerely regret to inform you that we will be bringing Nexon America’s service of DFO to an end.

We understand that many of you will be disappointed by this news. We hope that the game represents some of your great gaming memories. You have made new friends, created awesome characters, picked up some epic loot, and recorded some unforgettable victories. We, too, have loved working on this game, and learned a lot through our relationship with DFO.

A ramp-down of the game will begin on April 11, 2013, with the closing of the cash shop. Full service will discontinue on June 13, 2013.

We will compensate players for the purchase of unused or partially-used Permanent and Durational items purchased within the past six months. The dollar value is correlated with the time of purchase, the status of the item, etc.. More information regarding compensation can be found here.

Working on DFO during the past three years has been an honor, and we thank all of you Dungeon Fighters for joining us on this exciting journey.

- Min Kim, CEO, Nexon America

One of the very best online MMOs out. Sadness.

MisterHero

This is the first time an Online game died on me. Hold me GAF. :(

I can see why it wasn't super-popular. Throughout its life it was plagued by bugs and emergency maintenances. Whenever a player had a problem it could take Nexon SIX TO TWELVE MONTHS to respond to a single issue. A lot of the cash shop items were neat, but they were way too expensive.

Every 5 seconds a gold seller is spamming the chat window. Every 2 seconds a bot reaches Level 70. It takes 20 million gold to buy a single standard avatar in the Auction Hall now.

There was at least one major update left. The Female Slayer, 2nd Awakenings, the level 80 cap, and more dungeons. Nexon NA couldn't put it up because they said Neople wasn't cooperating and didn't send it to them.

Despite all that shit, I'll probably play until the last day because the game is really fun. I don't even feel like moving to another game.

RIP Dungeon Fighter Online. As for Nexon's management... well, maybe they won't be so awful next time.

Ultratech

Yeah, it really sucks to hear.

I had a pretty good time with the game sometime back, but once you hit a point, it just got repetitive.

And Nexon's management of the game certainly didn't help things. (Emergency Maintenances out the ass, game being borked, rampant hackers, etc.)

Hell, it's been a pretty good while since I'd even been on last (last year maybe?).

So it's sad to see it go.

isamu

Coupon is now streaming Mystic Fighter Online Beta on Twitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Game looks RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DFO has been obliterated! Plus this runs with HD bitmapped sprites from the ground up!

http://www.twitch.tv/couponbook/new

Top Bottom