• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust: An Elysian Tail |OT| Become the Storm

Noogy

I had hoped to have the game finished and reviewed by now, but I just finished the game about an hour and a half ago. I probably shouldn't say "you don't need to read my review, just buy it," but that's pretty much what I'd say.

But, still read my review when it goes up tomorrow anyhow, even as you're enjoying the game!

Very excited (and terrified) to see what you think, I know you've been following for ages!

Fjordson

Anyone know the exact time it will be up?

I wants it now :(

In my experience, Live is consistent about getting things up right when the store updates, which is around 2 AM Pacific. Give or take 15 minutes. Whether it's new DLC, demos, or Live Arcade games, I can't remember the last time I waited later than like 2:30 AM.

zulux21

Very excited (and terrified) to see what you think, I know you've been following for ages!

you manage to take a step back, take a deep breath, and come back and enjoy everything that is going on (with the positive reviews and people enjoying your game) or has life still been to crazy to enjoy what's happening?

mollipen

I have an email from August 6th, 2009 where I was telling my old boss at Play that we needed to pay attention to this game called "Dust" that was being submitted to the XNA Dream Build Play contest. *heh*

Noogy

you manage to take a step back, take a deep breath, and come back and enjoy everything that is going on (with the positive reviews and people enjoying your game) or has life still been to crazy to enjoy what's happening?

Life has definitely been crazy. It's been a nonstop barage of "whew, ok, that's complete, wait something else broke.... yay, milestone met... uh oh, up at 2am because of cert" and so on and so on. I'm just now learning how to sleep through a full night without waking up with nightmares of code breaking, content missing, and marketing requests.

I think it'll take a few weeks before I can really 'step back' and soak this all in. It's very hard to describe.

Is it too early to ask if you're planning continuing in this direction of game (2D)?
Branch out into a small dev team instead of mostly a one man show?
Dust Elysian Tale part 2?

Thanks for the kind words. Definitely too early to talk about future projects, but they will remain 2D. In fact I think a lot of people will be surprised how different the next game is, assuming I move forward with it. As for sequels to Dust, definitely thinking about that stuff but nothing to announce. I will stick with 2D though, since I only make games I want to play and can't buy.

wiggleb0t

Banned
Dragons Crown & Dust were the 2 'gamiest' games I were looking forward to in 2012, Dragons Crown was delayed so Dust is number 1.
I grew up on a large dose of 2d sidescrollers. Love fluidity in movement in anime and seeing it featured to such an extent in a 2d scroller is just awesome! Only Muramasa Demon Blade and this come to mind.

Hope your game sells tonnes!
Is it too early to ask if you're planning continuing in this direction of game (2D)?
Branch out into a small dev team instead of mostly a one man show?
Dust Elysian Tale part 2?

:)
Thanks so much for your dedication and bringing what looks to be a fantastic game out for all to enjoy!

DeathOnALeash

Neo Member
Good luck Noogy, wish you a great deal of success, pulling for you and hopefully a whole lot of folks pull out their wallet tomorrow and buy Dust.

Screw sleep! I am going all warrior and waiting for this to go on XBLA to be the first person to download it in the history of mankind. (probably not but I am staying up for it :p)

zulux21

Life has definitely been crazy. It's been a nonstop barage of "whew, ok, that's complete, wait something else broke.... yay, milestone met... uh oh, up at 2am because of cert" and so on and so on. I'm just now learning how to sleep through a full night without waking up with nightmares of code breaking, content missing, and marketing requests.

I think it'll take a few weeks before I can really 'step back' and soak this all in. It's very hard to describe.

Thanks for the kind words. Definitely too early to talk about future projects, but they will remain 2D. In fact I think a lot of people will be surprised how different the next game is, assuming I move forward with it. As for sequels to Dust, definitely thinking about that stuff but nothing to announce. I will stick with 2D though, since I only make games I want to play and can't buy.

I can't even begin to imagine how the whole situation feels for you, I wish I could but alas I have never been in that situation or one close to it.

It's also nice to hear your next work will be something different and that you only make games you want to play and can't buy. I wish I had the motivation and talent to create the games I want to play but can't buy. With effort I could work towards the talent but it's hard to get rid of that voice that says "why bother starting that project, you will never finish and even if you do it will suck and no one will want to play it and you will just waste your time".

Though I also in general lack focus lol.... When ever I do start up projects I get about 2-10 hours of work into them and then move onto something else. That feeling of being able to devote yourself to something, and seeing the positive results at the end. I would love to experience that at some point. Hopefully one day I can find the focus to do such a thing.

Screw sleep! I am going all warrior and waiting for this to go on XBLA to be the first person to download it in the history of mankind. (probably not but I am staying up for it :p)

I would imagine the reviewers downloaded it before you... if not Noogy has some mad bribing skills to get people to write detailed reviews of a game they never played :p

As for me I hopefully won't be staying up (my insomnia might say otherwise). I will just nab the demo when I get up. I'd like to jump right into buying the game but alas I have to convince the wife that it's worth spending $15 on since our budget is tight this month. Given she loved Odin Sphere for it's art and likes racking up attack combos I don't figure it will be a hard battle to win, but I will at least have to wait for her to get home from work to do so lol.

G17

I'm right there with you! I've even decked out my avatar in anticipation. (a big cut of avatar sales does go to the developer right?)

Ipggg.png

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I had hoped to have the game finished and reviewed by now, but I just finished the game about an hour and a half ago. I probably shouldn't say "you don't need to read my review, just buy it," but that's pretty much what I'd say.

But, still read my review when it goes up tomorrow anyhow, even as you're enjoying the game!

Are we allowed to ask you how the game stacks up compared to other Metroidvanias like Symphony of the Night and Shadow Complex, or do we have to wait until tomorrow? :p

Also debating whether I'll pick this up at 5AM EST or not. Not tired at all right now, so we'll see.

murphyspub

Neo Member
Are we allowed to ask you how the game stacks up compared to other Metroidvanias like Symphony of the Night and Shadow Complex, or do we have to wait until tomorrow? :p

The embargo was up yesterday, so we are free to say whatever.

I'll say that I went back to areas a bunch of times, but it's not necessary to complete the story. You return to areas to turn in side quests, and find collectibles, which means you kill more dudes and get to level up your skills. Having new abilities when you return to areas just makes them more fun and interesting to return to because you can explore some more and solve some platforming puzzles, but there's no story reason to not just keep progressing to the next area. In that regard, people thinking it's a metroidvania might be a little misled. Also you don't open up new connections between areas that make travelling easier, because everytime you leave an area you go to the overworld map and just choose the area you want to appear at.

Just to be clear, this is not a criticism, just clarifying the design. I played every area multiple times and loved doing it. I still need to get 4 stars in half the challenge areas.

I'm planning on staying up to play it as soon as the store updates. The next few hours are going to feel really damn long though.

Just like Tomat, I'm not feeling tired right now, but we'll see how that goes as it gets closer to 5am.

Tomat

The embargo was up yesterday, so we are free to say whatever.

I'll say that I went back to areas a bunch of times, but it's not necessary to complete the story. You return to areas to turn in side quests, and find collectibles, which means you kill more dudes and get to level up your skills. Having new abilities when you return to areas just makes them more fun and interesting to return to because you can explore some more and solve some platforming puzzles, but there's no story reason to not just keep progressing to the next area. In that regard, people thinking it's a metroidvania might be a little misled. Also you don't open up new connections between areas that make travelling easier, because everytime you leave an area you go to the overworld map and just choose the area you want to appear at.

Just to be clear, this is not a criticism, just clarifying the design. I played every area multiple times and loved doing it. I still need to get 4 stars in half the challenge areas.
Ahh, that's a bit of a bummer. That's one of my favorite parts about metroidvania style games.

Funny Dust-related anecdote... I just remembered one of the first PC games I ever played was Jazz Jackrabbit. Wow, I'm getting old.

I'm staying up tonight and can't wait to buy this!

Just watched the quick look, and to be honest I can't stand the character art. I just find it incredibly unpleasing in a deviantART kind of way. It's not even just about the anthromorphic characters, I just think it's ugly.

BUT, the rest of the game looks so incredibly polished and fun to play that I'm going to ignore it and play the fuck out of this game. +1 sale.

What exactly is this "deviantART style" I keep hearing about?
I know not eveyone feels like it, but the characters in this game look like badly drawn Sonic fanart to me. And I've seen so much terrible art of that kind, that I've been conditioned to find everything that looks like it terrible.
I don't want to link to something because when looking for it you're always one click away from NSFL-stuff, but just google Sonic fanart and maybe you'll see what I mean.
I think it's a phrase some folks use to describe amateur art.
Exactly, it looks like it's drawn by a teenager on deviantART.

Fjordson

a giant bomb quick look just popped up on my RSS feed
I would guess it has spoilers... I wasn't willing to watch lol.
Entertaining watch, as per usual with Giant Bomb, but there is a little easter egg I guess you could call it that Brad shows off, so anyone on total blackout might want to skip it.

Cool to see how they're enjoying it a lot. Brad said it's a "class act".

Odrion

Banned
Definitely looking forward to your next game Noogy, even if it's three or four years from now.

edit: bad deviantART? what the hell
gEIr1.gif

Daigoro

im not a fan of the art either. the animation is nice though.

im going to give the demo a shot today. maybe the gameplay will win me over.

Card Boy

Banned

I feel the same, not a fan of the art but like everything else i have seen so far. Hoping the gameplay is that good that it makes me look past the art.

Tomat

I'm definitely trying the demo first as well. The game looks good but it doesn't sound like quite the metroidvania I was hoping it would be based on the quicklook and some impressions. The art doesn't bother me though.

Type2

Hey Noogy, im developing my own game right now while attending school and working 40 hours a week and I gotta say im really impressed from what ive seen of Dust. Its buttery smooth, the animation looks great and your story is extremely inspiring especially to me.
I really wish I had a 360 to check it out, anywho I figured id throw in some written support seeing as I cant purchase the title just yet.

I know not eveyone feels like it, but the characters in this game look like badly drawn Sonic fanart to me. And I've seen so much terrible art of that kind, that I've been conditioned to find everything that looks like it terrible.
I don't want to link to something because when looking for it you're always one click away from NSFL-stuff, but just google Sonic fanart and maybe you'll see what I mean.

Exactly, it looks like it's drawn by a teenager on deviantART.

You're right. Deviant art is full of nothing but teenagers doing Sonic fan art ...oh wait.

This is just but a small sample. If you want more samples so I can continue to make you look stupid please don't hesitate to ask.

You're right. Deviant art is full of nothing but teenagers doing Sonic fan art ...oh wait.

This is just but a small sample. If you want more samples so I can continue to make you look stupid please don't hesitate to ask.
You're making yourself look stupid. I never said what you are implying. Read my post again.

Of course deviantART has good art on it, and you posted amazing examples.
Sadly, Dust looks nothing like it.

Odrion

Banned
Of course it doesn't look like that, it has to be videogame. Not a single image.

Still not seeing the "bad Sonic fan art" argument. I've seen bad sonic fan art, brother. This looks like professional 90s animation studio. Some Fern Gully shit up in here.

edit: That Giantbomb quicklook is very positive, nice.

rozay

Banned
You're making yourself look stupid. I never said what you are implying. Read my post again.

I think the game itself looks really beautiful, but I have to agree on the character art. Just not my cup of tea. Not going to let it stop me from playing this if I think the demo is solid. 20 minutes until it's up?

Noogy

Exactly. No educated person ever makes the deviant art comment anymore. I know a large number of industry professionals who host their porfolios there. Coincidentally, I don't.

Thank you for your support. You're really adding a lot to the official thread.

Maybe you should reword your post then so it doesn't look stupid. Because the impression I get says that deviantart is full of nothing but amateur art.

IMO Dust look amazing. The art looks better than a lot of these so call professional retail released games.

Well I like a game called creatures with norns
Desert_Norn.gif
and they look like that but the gameplay is so unique and different and the science behind it is so great if i let how something "look" effect me I'd miss out on a fantastic game..but everyone is different I think people need to look pass certain aspects to enjoy core gameplay mechanics

Maybe you should reword your post then so it doesn't look stupid. Because the impression I get says that deviantart is full of nothing but amateur art.
I'm mainly talking about bad Sonic fanart in my post, which can be found everywhere on the internet, even on deviantART. Even if we remove all mentions of devianART from the discussion, my point still stands. The character art looks amateurish, and nothing like the amazing examples of good art you posted.
Thank you for your support. You're really adding a lot to the official thread.
So criticism is not allowed in the official thread? I'm still buying your game and think it looks amazing otherwise.

I'm mainly talking about bad Sonic fanart in my post, which can be found everywhere on the internet, even on deviantART. Even if we remove all mentions of devianART from the discussion, my point still stands. The character art looks amateurish, and nothing like the amazing examples of good art you posted.

So criticism is not allowed in the official thread? I'm still buying your game and think it looks amazing otherwise.

Your initial post said otherwise. Anyway I'm not going to continue to shit up the thread. So my apologies to Noogy.

Top Bottom