• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dwarf Fortress |OT| Losing is fun!

Raptomex

New version coming this July.

It's almost here! After over two years in the making, we plan to release the next version of Dwarf Fortress in the beginning of July. We are very grateful to those that made it possible by supporting us financially all this time. Dwarf Fortress has become more than a game in the twelve years since we started. It is now a crazy art project that everyone can engage in! Whether it's creating the awesome mods, or helping newbies learn to play, everybody helps out. There are going to be a lot of bugs in the beginning so one major way to help out would be to contribute to the bug tracker. Dwarf Fortress would never have made it this far without such a strong community. Thanks to everyone on the Bay 12 forums and beyond for spreading the word. It's going to be a busy few months coming up so thank you again in advance for your patience and generosity!

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Someone posted a video and document of all the upcoming new stuff.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139080.0

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is there any intermediate player who'd like to play a two-person succession game?

In this game intermediate is so relative. I am playing this game on and off for 6 years now and I still feel like a noob everytime I played a fortress for a few hours and read up on stuff, like different possible ways to get magma to the surface or whatever.

And best of luck finding someone, I dont have time for a succession game atm, but I am hugely looking forward to the next update.

Yeah, you're right... I've been playing uncontinuously for 2 years now, and I constantly find myself very noobish in various aspects. The military, for one... and magma usage.

Raptomex

Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 released! (July 7, 2014)

Toady One Here is the world activation release! Lots of processes from world generation -- birth, invasions, succession, site foundation, and so on -- now operate in the world after play has begun. Getting all of that to work led to a meandering route through various pieces of the game, some of which are described below. Aside from any bugginess, a lot of it will still feel rough and unfinished as things bump around.

New stuff
- World activation! There are a few things that aren't active, like megabeast invasions, but lots of world gen actions made it into the game. Birth, death (to the extent it wasn't handled before), marriages, site foundation as well as reclaims, basic succession and appointments/etc., invasions, as well as some more detail beyond world gen, like patrols, banditry and animal population handling. We still don't have army battles -- the invasions are all successful right now, unless they are locally interfered with by you.

- The game advances two weeks before each play -- the calendar there still moves slowly when there's a lot of action, as there is in larger worlds, but there are quite a few things I can do soon to speed that up. Due to the speed of the calendar, new forts in particular also get just two weeks. This'll probably cause some shenanigans with the caravan (or you'll just have to wait a year in an autumn fort for your first one) until we sort it out.

- Fortresses can be retired and unretired. Losing is still fun but if it doesn't happen when you want, you can put it off for a while. Retired forts can be conquered (much more easily than they would be if you still controlled them), so don't be surprised if you have to reclaim instead of being able to unretire sometimes. You can reclaim forts that didn't make it through world generation.

- Site maps for dwarves, elves and goblins. These are very basic, but they are there, anyway.

- Multi-tile trees and lots of new plants. Fruit and flowers. Leaves that fall in little clouds. I had to put off dwarf mode tree harvesting, but we should get to that before long.

- Megabeasts/forgotten beasts can attack, destroy and then reside within world gen sites like dwarf fortresses.

- Various movement changes. Climbing/jumping/sprinting in both modes, though invaders still require a line of site to use them. Adventure mode has a stealth rewrite, and some elements of that are present in dwarf mode (it is generally easier to spot thieves and ambushers, and I'll probably need to make them smarter about finding cover). Movement and combat are separate now. Startled people climb up the walls of their homes a little too often.

- Tracking information in adventure mode. You can pull up a little window and see tracks (capital K), and you can also have it describe the freshest track that isn't yours to more easily stay on a trail (alt K). Tracks are also part of the regular look command.

- Different levels of conflict -- your opponents in adventure mode will be listed with the current status (non-lethal, lethal, no quarter, etc.).

- Combat moves take place over a period of time now, and you can do things like catching an opponent's attack -- you have to do that by targeting a grab at the offending part now (reactions used to have a menu, but that was before combat got more smeared out). You can get information about what attacks your opponent is doing in the attack menu -- the quality of the information depends on your situational awareness skill. You can add adjective modifiers to your attacks (quick/heavy/etc.) and you can perform more than one attack at a time for a significant penalty to its force. It might make sense with two adamantine swords or something, twirling them about.

- Rumors of incidents can be spread, and the rumors need to be spread before you gain reputation (good or bad). Killing all of the witnesses to an event will effectively remove it from play if you don't let them get off the screen. People are a little psychic as it regards ongoing conflicts, so that they can make decisions non-stupidly. Your liaison can share rumors with your fort, but I still need to set up the screen for reviewing them after you've seen them the first time... not that you can do much with the information.

- You can travel through tunnels.

- You can get a guide to travel with you to a faraway place -- it still ended up being too cumbersome, so locals continue to be able to tell you the location of sites, but only within a certain distance of their home town.

- In general, conversations have been redone. They no longer have their own screen, but run along with other actions, and there are many more options.

- The mind has been rewritten quite a bit -- people now experience emotions according to different circumstances (lots of awkward monologues there), and they consider actions differently. The main outstanding issue is that I didn't get around to converting existing dwarf mode thoughts, so they sort of exist concurrently with the new emotions and that needs to be changed. I'll get to that before job priorities (which was one of the main shorter-term reasons for the rewrite). Some dwarves have life-long dreams and it is possible for them to recognize that they've accomplished the ones relating to skills and family. They cannot yet realize their dreams of taking over the world.

- The paragraph at the beginning of adventure mode was marginally more useful, but that slipped a bit at the end as things were tweaked. I think it'll still describe certain invasions and abductions, but it needs to be redone.

- Lots of new arena options -- not just the conflict state, but you can set the temperature etc. to all sorts of extremes.

- Some experiments with procedural items, though the new demon-type sites are still quite un-fun now. The knowledge on the slab at the bottom can be used, but it is probably not worth the trouble.

- The stuff I forgot

Bug fixes
I'm sure several old bugs were "fixed" as large portions of the code was rewritten/removed, but I haven't tried to track exactly which ones. Bug fixes will commence in earnest now, and everything will be handled over at the bug tracker.

OP updated.

Vagabundo

Downloading now. Get ready for the bugs.

For newbies I'd suggest going with the older and far more stable 34 release.

/v/ has uploaded a tileset version for those of us who are ASCII illiterate: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4728

EDIT: Damn a bug just wiped out my progress - my save won't load.

All you Alpha testers be sure to turn on SEASONAL Auto Saves in the init_d.txt in /data/init. Bugger. Time for new world gen/...

Multilevel trees means you can have a completely Wood based economy.

Raptomex

Downloading now. Get ready for the bugs.

For newbies I'd suggest going with the older and far more stable 34 release.

/v/ has uploaded a tileset version for those of us who are ASCII illiterate: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4728

EDIT: Damn a bug just wiped out my progress - my save won't load.

All you Alpha testers be sure to turn on SEASONAL Auto Saves in the init_d.txt in /data/init. Bugger. Time for new world gen/...

Multilevel trees means you can have a completely Wood based economy.
I'm at work so that site is blocked. Is that tileset for the new version?

Rootbeer

Banned
how is stonesense overlay working out for the new version?

I'm definitely going to dive back in to this game but I feel like I might want to give 0.40.x a little more time to bake and push out some bug fixes before I bother.

Nibel

omg, Stonesense can now supposedly override the games graphics:

Has anyone tried this yet?

Is Stonesense available for Mac as well?

I've read so much about Dwarf Fortress that I should probably play it and seeing those graphics engine modifications might be what pushes me over the edge. :)

Vagabundo

It's still very early days for that mod. Try one of the newbie packs in the OP for 34.11. That version is ultra stable at the moment. Use the tileset and follow a tutorial in the DF wiki.

Raptomex

Is Stonesense available for Mac as well?

I've read so much about Dwarf Fortress that I should probably play it and seeing those graphics engine modifications might be what pushes me over the edge. :)
It will take you a while to just to get the grasp but when you do it's so much fun. One of the most in depth games you will ever play.

Chaos17

I don't know about "murdering". I don't care much for the UI either but I've played to the point where I'm just use to it now.

Imo, if there're a lot people who can't play the game with a mode like DF therapist because it's to difficult to manage a lot of dwarves with the default then yes, there is a problem.

If you don't understand, what I'm talking, you didn't read much about DF forums.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 released! (July 7, 2014)

OP updated.

Does "world activation release" mean there is another one coming soon with the stuff he worked on in the past 2 years or... is this it? Not to be a downer, but the additions seem a bit underwhelming for a 2 year wait and I thought there was way more substantial features that he was talking about adding.

Raptomex

Does "world activation release" mean there is another one coming soon with the stuff he worked on in the past 2 years or... is this it? Not to be a downer, but the additions seem a bit underwhelming for a 2 year wait and I thought there was way more substantial features that he was talking about adding.
I think it's just the first release. Not really stable. I assume there will be more releases as more bugs get ironed out.

Toma

I think it's just the first release. Not really stable. I assume there will be more releases as more bugs get ironed out.

No clue why he just doesnt throw out the full thing and have people report bugs. Not like having more bugs would deter people from testing features.

Oh well, lets hope you are right.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
I fucking love this game. I first heard about it on Something Awful. The stories were amazing, but I just couldn't figure the game out. It took me many unsuccessful tries before DF clicked with me, and I've been hooked ever since. I love that a game can be going great for ages, then turn into a dwarf holocaust in a matter of minutes.

The interface is kind of a bitch, but the game is crazy deep. Definitely watch a good tutorial video.

I think Dwarf Fortress and Unreal World could keep me satisfied for years.

Raptomex

No clue why he just doesnt throw out the full thing and have people report bugs. Not like having more bugs would deter people from testing features.

Oh well, lets hope you are right.
I think this is the full thing, no? People are playing and reporting bugs as far as I know. I don't think he held back on features that were planned. But he's good on status updates.

Toma

I think this is the full thing, no? People are playing and reporting bugs as far as I know. I don't think he held back on features that were planned. But he's good on status updates.

Ah thats what I meant, so this is the full release. Hm, might need to dig around a bit more, but just from reading the changelog I am wondering which of those features will actually add to my enjoyment of the game. All the features seem pretty minor with the exception of being able to (re)claim generated fortresses, and I sort of expected more after 2 years.

KPJZKC

Ah thats what I meant, so this is the full release. Hm, might need to dig around a bit more, but just from reading the changelog I am wondering which of those features will actually add to my enjoyment of the game. All the features seem pretty minor with the exception of being able to (re)claim generated fortresses, and I sort of expected more after 2 years.

Well, the fact that the world now continues to change outside of your fort (in Fort Mode) is actually a pretty big deal, I think. I just don't know how likely it is to have a large impact, considering the timescales required.

Toma

Well, the fact that the world now continues to change outside of your fort (in Fort Mode) is actually a pretty big deal, I think. I just don't know how likely it is to have a large impact, considering the timescales required.

Yea, its cool and all, but not likely to affect you much I think other than getting some news about wars in your surrounding areas and such.

Volodja

After trying a couple of fortress at normal world dimensions and finding the speed of the progress somewhat appalling, I decided to try a Pocket world and, damn this is tiny, fast as hell, but maybe too tiny.
I can probably run a fortress in it but I imagine it would be way too small for adventure mode.

Raptomex

v0.40.02 (July, 10, 2014)

It's not DF without save corruption! This release should fix an issue with autosaves corrupting and causing various crash issues down the line. For this reason 0.40.01 saves are not compatible with this version -- I'm going to try to avoid compatibility breaks as we go, but sometimes they happen. I've also fixed the talk-to-deity crash (closely related to the shout-when-nobody-is-around crash, also fixed), the blocking crash, and some other bad issues. Due to the save corruption, I didn't get a chance to work on the calendar speed, but assuming this release works as planned, I should be able to jump into that now.

Major bug fixes
- Stopped autosave features from corrupting worlds (thanks to everybody that helped sort that out so quickly!)
- Made the game not crash when talking to a deity or shouting out in the wilderness
- Fixed a crash from trying to actively block in the adventure attack menu
- Fixed the size bug where 9 of 10 young critters did not grow up beyond baby size (thanks Urist Da Vinci and so many others for all the work on that! I'd thank you all properly if I could do the archaeology to figure out how it was sorted out...)
- Fixed a crash that came sometimes when asking about the position of site forces
- Stopped a freeze that happened when swimming in deep water (that is, it locked up, not the part where you get encased in ice...)

Other bug fixes/tweaks
- Fixed the tracking key in the SDL version so you should be able to do that with capital K now
- Added the short wait button to the adventurer manual -- you can use , instead of . to wait for one instant
- Made quarry bushes process to an edible leaf properly
- Typo when impersonating divine being

OP Updated

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
I have a situation on my hands.
XLQCAKO.jpg

My mason Stukos crossed an ice river right before it melted. I brother Bim is just standing across the river, staring at him. You'll notice Stukos won't even look at Bin. He knows he is going to die. Maybe he can survive on berries and brook water.

Toma

I have a situation on my hands.
XLQCAKO.jpg

My mason Stukos crossed an ice river right before it melted. I brother Bim is just standing across the river, staring at him. Maybe he can survive on berries and brook water.

Building a bridge shouldnt take too long either if you have dwarfs creating floor tiles.

Raptomex

0.40.03 (July 13, 2014)

Here's the next one! Many more crash issues fixed. Mystery babies and large city walls had a corrupting effect that was not possible to manage, so saves are not compatible yet again. I'll try to keep saves together as we move forward, but there aren't any guarantees, especially this early on. If things have settled down on the stability front, I can finally move on to the optimizations and other issues. We'll see what happens!

Major bug fixes
- Fixed relationship screen crash from certain historial/old-player-fort migrants and adventurer migrants
- Fixed adv retirement cloning
- Fixed crash when game tries to realize certain low population sites
- Fixed crash/corruption problem from large city walls
- Fixed crash when asking about site trade partners
- Fixed problem causing travelers originating from realized forts/sewers/dungeons to go out of map bounds (caused crashes)
- Stopped the babies of the world from appearing in the unit list (and associated minimap crash)

Other bug fixes/tweaks
- Made farm plant list refresh properly with season selection

OP updated.

Uthred

Lured back in by the stonesense overlay, using the older stable version and I can get the overlary up and running, but there doesnt appear to be any way to zoom in or rotate it like you could with "vanilla stonesense" IIRC, is this just the state its in or am I missing something?

Raptomex

0.40.04 (July 20, 2014)

This is mainly another crash-fix release, though I was able to handle some other problems as well. I'm still hoping to get to optimizations (for the third time in these release notes!), but as usual that depends on stability. As you'll note below, a few of the older bugs are gone -- as we continue in this process, I'll work fixes for old bugs into the mix.

Major bug fixes
- Fixed a crash with pathing for jumps
- Fixed a crash related to invading squads attempting to train
- Fixed an overpopulation bug for civilized critters and a related one for site animals
- Fixed problem with retired fort uniform settings crashing later visits to the fort
- Stopped a crash associated to misplaced books/slabs (root cause remains, added some logs)
- Fixed position appointment issue that caused some instability
- Tried to make idle code somewhat better about climbing while still getting dwarves out from being stuck
- People with a weapon should use it with the proper frequency now

Other bug fixes/tweaks
- Fixed problem with animal training/taming vs. lingering combat data (caused job cancel spam and inability to complete jobs)
- Stopped nearby objects from being teleported by construction removal and a related problem with the item loop (ag/Quietust)
- Made site finder properly indicate flux layers (Quietust)
- Made game better respect existing directory structure in data/save when creating new directories
- Made tops of walls appear properly when trees above walls are removed
- Made strangulation take less time
- Enhanced sapling survivability
- Fixed a problem that caused vermin to occasionally be generated out of the loaded area
- Fixed a problem that corrupted the information about items on the ground with temperature changes
- Fixed some brokenness with climbing AI vs. ledge tops
- Fixed a broken instance of chasing opponent AI vs unwalkable spaces
- Made climbing have a higher path cost
- Made people less likely to climb after a failure
- Babies don't start strapped with a knife

OP updated.

Raptomex

0.40.05 (July 27, 2014)

Sounds like this might be the stable version we've all been waiting for?

This is a bug fix and optimization release, which is probably something we should get used to for a while, since there is a lot left to do! I've tried to make it possible to play in larger worlds again, but there's also more that can be done.

Major bug fixes
- Fixed several large slow-down culprits
- Stopped trees from growing through floors
- Fixed a problem causing the suspension of constructions (old saves with affected jobs will still need to restart them) (ag)
- Fixed a few problems with hospital code causing them to overstock item (ag)
- Fixed problem stopping underground fishing (UristDaVinci/Quietust)
- Made cultures that oppose intruders more lax when in places controlled by less wary groups (one cause of marketplace knifefights)
- Made adventure-mode ambushers somewhat more in tune with their task
- Made master soldiers stop reverting back to corresponding regular soldier type
- Fixed crash that could occur when looking at adventure log while traveling

Other bug fixes/tweaks
- Stopped clearing professions upon achieving master soldier type
- Fixed the population cap
- Made it possible to detect plantings too late in the season again (Quietust)
- Stopped migrants from retaining certain adv/etc. flags harmful to their integration into the fort (making them 'hostile') Note: those from old saves might take off articles of clothing and store them and other strange things, since the integration could not be made complete easily...
- Fixed problem with non-entity armies/travelers failing to evaluate nearby creatures properly
- Tried to improve prioritization for creatures trying to handle many targets, especially w/ extra senses (caused combat AI paralysis)
- Stopped fliers from wanting to jump (and sometimes colliding mid-air)
- Added some basic climbing skill to wg/etc. soldiers, esp. thieves
- Vermin can escape from non-artifact containers properly (Quietust)
- Caravans check weapon type properly for material selection (Quietust)
- Diplomats that wanted bodyguards should get them now (Quietust)
- Stopped aquarium check from turning off other vermin code (Quietust)
- Fixed crash that happened in the arena when doing v-p on a dwarf with a weapon
- Creature art value considered properly by civs now (Quietust)
- Fixed problem dividing out item milligrams in weapon velocities (UristDaVinci)
- Can now melt metal chests (Quietust)
- Handled a few problems causing extra/erroneous long patrol thoughts (Quietust)
- Made children get full list of default labors upon growing up and respected any existing skills
- Stopped migrant historical children from receiving labors
- Made underground populations properly respect layer size (the numbers can get very high, but blame the giant under-ocean caves in part)
- Stopped hyper-obese digesting dwarves from constantly recalculating insulation/mass data (ag)
- Fixed some problems causing certain jobs to check too many items (angavrilov/Quietust)
- Allowed egg-laying critters without baby/child state to have viable eggs
- Stopped listing dead non-fort animals/etc. as missing
- Fixed a rounding error with projectile calculations (Pirate Bob/UristDaVinci)
- Adjusted contact area/depth of ammo, max velocity of shooters (Joben)
- Fixed a problem causing saplings to grow up 10x as fast as they should
- Stopped sparring from being placed in combat reports
- Displayed proper key for viewing agreements in civ screen
- Stopped dwarves from swiping hospital goods from the caravan
- Made the game respect more circumstances whereby medical inventory items are removed (fixing the crutch speed bug, for instance)
- Stopped ghosts from being able to realize dreams after they are dead
- Fixed problem where tools made from adamantine wafers required the wrong material amounts (Quietust)
- Fixed problem with seed initialization for mid-level maps that could cause inconsistency (Quietust)
- Fixed broken lack of cage/chain thought for law dwarf (Quietust)
- Adjustments to animal people frequencies (see file_changes.txt)
- Made king cobra people legless like other snake people
- Fixed a problem causing the tortoises not to appear
- Made random creature spines connect up properly
- Fixed material values for obsidian (UristDaVinci)
- Various typos fixed (see file_changes.txt) (thanks to Gorobay for finding most of these)
- Re-added elven diplomacy, though it is still unchanged from its first incarnation

OP updated.

Raptomex

0.40.06 (August 3, 2014)

Some more bugs were fixed as we begin the short road to 0.40.07.

- Fixed crash that involved promoting certain stops above their route
- Made paved roads only need as much material as required by the road tiles (rather than the whole rectangle)
- Cleaned up the creature pressure plate interface
- Made masterpiece announcements wait for all item info to be decided before trying to print item name
- Fixed a problem with unnamed historical figure statue/figurine item names and descriptions
- Stopped dwarves from liking special items
- Made translated name appear properly at the top of the screen when viewing creature

OP updated

Raptomex

0.40.08 (August 11, 2014)

Enjoy another set of bug fixes!

Major bug fixes
- Fixed crash that involved promoting certain stops above their route
- Removed some stale invasion data preventing further invasions
- Stopped dwarves from breeding like animals, technically speaking
- Made diplomats search for civ-level land-holders properly
- Fixed some path buffering problems that could screw up neighbor list etc.
- Fixed a few problems with undead AI
- Stopped sleeping/incapacitated dwarves from doing things
- Fixed problem with squad leader assignment in military screen
- Made sparring people use their weapons properly
- Made unretired forts unhide fully, flowing from surface and all units

Other bug fixes/tweaks
- Made masterpiece announcements wait for all item info to be decided before trying to print item name
- Eliminated an OSX key conflict for text deletion
- Made install colony jobs respect each other's targets
- Made install colony jobs react to missing hive at gather destination
- Added another adjustment to designation jobs to help them vs. paths that became bad
- Required animal hauling labor for various jobs
- Added new labors for hauling trade goods, pulling levers, removing constructions and hauling water
- Attached trap cleaning to clean labor
- Made laborless building construct/destroy jobs take furniture hauling
- Allowed burrows to restrict workshop item search or not (default off)
- Added assigned citizen number to burrow list
- Stopped paralyzed injured dwarves from spamming rest cancellation messages
- Stopped some CPU-intensive temperature wobble (ag)
- Cleaned up the creature pressure plate interface
- Made paved roads only need as much material as required by the road tiles (rather than the whole rectangle)
- Made translated name appear properly at the top of the screen when viewing creature
- Stopped dwarves from liking special items
- Fixed a problem with unnamed historical figure statue/figurine item names and descriptions
- Fixed color display problem in civ list
- Gave not-you civs range of 30 path-wise for neighbor status on embark (towers still 10)
- Allowed use of number in burrow names without moving cursor
- SDL string question mark should no longer enter as a pipe, and pipe should be enterable
- Respected question mark entry in several places

OP updated

Mobius 1

This sucked my Sunday away. I should have stayed clear of it since last time but I'm a fool.

Watching the outpost liaison get run from a kobold and get stranded over a tree was worth it. Even better when he went insane and we cut the tree down. He then just slowly left the map to go home babbling to himself.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well since you bumped the topic...

0.40.09 was released 8/17!

The cleaning continues with this release!

Major bug fixes

Fixed problem causing domestic underground animals to be placed beyond their number (and then replaced at that new number)
Made people not so eager to jump in on the side of their relatives and friends if the relative/friend is berserk/etc.
Made creatures prefer to flee normally if possible (rather than jumping off cliffs etc.)
Stopped liquid flows in confined spaces from sometimes making items disappear
Made items that froze in ice reappear properly when ice melts
Allowed dwarves interested in marriage to start relationships properly (Quietust)
Removed some vestigial code stopping wagons from moving properly after move/attack speed split
Fixed a wagon AI error that caused them to fail to unload sometimes
Gave wagons the ability to go past each other in certain instances
Made invaders not come back as ghosts
Stopped non-historical dwarves from coming back as ghosts (put in fix for old saves that should lay them to rest soon after unpause)
Stopped ghosts from being considered in regular sight code
Fixed the defend burrow order
Allowed items made from gem materials (including large gems) to be stored in finished goods pile
Fixed broken logic that made trade good hauling require both trade good hauling and lever operation labors

Other bug fixes/tweaks

Fixed up quarry bush bag job vs. rock nuts
Added appropriate announcements for some additional circumstances under which a fort dwarf could assume a civ-level position
Added embark warning if civ is dead
Added optional confirmation window after preparing embark (default: pops up if points remain)
Printed job after name when following unit
Marked dwarves as "New Arrival" on unit/job screen instead of "No Job" while they are new
Added pole-setting parameters for world gen, allowed north+south pole and no-pole options
Fixed an error causing nearby site maps to be offloaded too often
Made hill dwarf sites put animals in pastures properly
Made animals not placed in pasture/waste/yard get placed even if their preferred type isn't available
Fixed some manual typos (Gorobay)
Initialized strict pop cap to 220 if not present in d_init
Made alerts without names show properly as "Alert State #" in squad mode
Finished updating pineapple raws
Made several export filenames use the format (region)-YYYYY-MM-DD-(etc)
Added error for unrecognized CREATURE in entity raw

Raptomex

Well since you bumped the topic...

0.40.09 was released 8/17!
Awesome, thanks. OP updated.
This sucked my Sunday away. I should have stayed clear of it since last time but I'm a fool.

Watching the outpost liaison get run from a kobold and get stranded over a tree was worth it. Even better when he went insane and we cut the tree down. He then just slowly left the map to go home babbling to himself.
Yeah, it will do that. I haven't played the new version. I'm still waiting for a stable version and a tileset. I can't wait.

Raptomex

0.40.10 (August 24, 2014)

Here is another round of fixes. Note that for morale fixes in old saves there could be some persistent alarm data that causes people to continue to run for a bit, even for a few in-game hours in some cases, so you might need to let things work themselves out.

Major bug fixes
- Fixed crash that could happen when refugee rumors were created
- Fixed crash from visiting former player fortress with adventurer if certain army is present
- Fixed crash related to surgery
- Fixed crash that happened when it considered certain units in play for succession
- Stopped a conversation crash from talking to mute creatures about their troubles
- Allowed flying/climbing wilderness critters to work their way off the map
- Fixed problem allow the player to become invisible among many units even when clearly visible
- Made running away in terror/fear respect only valid combat location information
- Made genuine retreat and alarm state more separate from each other (being alarmed was being equated with flight for morale)
- Stopped certain old conflicts from causing alarm
- Made people that are attacked briefly have some knowledge of attacker's position
- Stopped certain jobs from being able to teleport items and engage in other action-at-a-distance antics
- Stopped necromancer towers from doing various inappropriate townish things that lead to tower proliferation etc.
- Fixed some reclaim/unretire bugs involving unavailable seeds
- Adjusted projectile firing speed which became broken during wagon fix

Other bug fixes/tweaks
- Adjusted emotional strain vs. willpower etc. calculation
- Made non-extra-sensory creatures also respect z coord of potential targets
- Fixed a pathing lag associated to mood dwarves not being able to get to their buildings
- Added stockpile option for cut stones
- Removed obsolete relieved/drafted thoughts
- Made extra-sensory creatures even less perturbable by critters sensed through layers of rock
- Stopped erroneous conflicts between certain hunting creatures
- Stopped shared/wrestled items from being used for block/parry
- Stopped creatures with multiple attacks like hydra from stacking attack modifiers incorrectly
- Made attacker always look at target upon initiating attack
- Ordered farm plot plant lists by seed availability/name
- Lowered cap for wrestle skill gain so it wouldn't be hit triple digits attacking large opponents
- Removed double entry of "slabs" from stocks screen
- Adjusted 'v' menu location for window height (so it wouldn't overwrite certain lists, etc.)
- Fixed a few typos causing double periods in personality paragraphs

OP updated.

Raptomex

0.40.11 (September 3, 2014)

Here is the first release for September! As usual, a few bugs like sleep screwups, cowardly companions and wandering children might persist for a while into old saves until the system clears itself out.

Major bug fixes
- Accounted for site populations properly when moving around (stopping doubling in lairs/player forts)
- Removed the old animal people camp items, as they cause duplication errors and will work with a better overall army framework later
- Handle some more instances where led creatures could drag their leader into conflicts (a dwarf caging a goblin, for example)
- Made historical figures react properly to historical undead
- Made chained animal checks respect z coordinate properly
- Gave your companions a bit of a courage boost in terms of intervening in conflicts
- Fixed some problem with resource stockpiles causing shop types to revert on insurrection

Other bug fixes/tweaks
- Made dwarf children not seek their mothers when idle, especially in violation of area restrictions
- Made dwarves prefer claimable rooms to dormitory master beds
- Stopped uninjured dwarves from sleeping in beds in active hospital zones
- Tried to make items in markets/homes match races more closely (cannot be completed until later -- right now, resources are based on original site owners)
- Stopped brief necro master-apprentice relationships from forming in towns
- Stopped other necro tower townish behavior like fake grazing disputes
- Made sleeping on the floor respect burrow assignments
- Made strength/agility/tissue layer effects work for gaits (Quietust)
- Stopped overuse of plant structure tag causing people to say they preferred to eat trees
- Fixed other issues causing dwarves to be able to prefer the wrong (generated) materials
- Stopped adventure skill list from overflowing on status screen
- Discounted rust when listing relevant skill for squad candidate
- Stopped evaporation of 1/7 liquid when over 7/7 liquid of the same kind
- Made flying adventurer able to fly over ramps without using them
- Fixed missing bindings for animal training keys (Quietust)
- Adjusted firing rate for projectiles again to make them more like the older versions
- Made adamantine clothing available in arena

OP updated.

Rootbeer

Banned
I've moved back to .34 until there are some optimisations done. My forts are getting fps death too early.

can i ask what your specs are? I haven't managed to get any huge forts built just yet with .40.xx

i wonder how it'd do on a late 2013 rMBP with max ram/gpu/cpu configuration?

Vagabundo

can i ask what your specs are? I haven't managed to get any huge forts built just yet with .40.xx

i wonder how it'd do on a late 2013 rMBP with max ram/gpu/cpu configuration?

I use dropbox to sync between a number of computers. The weakest is a Dual Core 2 with 3 gigs of ram. It runs 34 pretty well, 150 fps. I'll jump back in to 40 once I see some optimisation updated from Toady.

Raptomex

0.40.12 (September 10, 2014)
This release has some more bug fixes in it, mostly related to healthcare, prisoners and morale.

Major bug fixes
- Made dwarves that fall unconscious while going to rest or sleep location not get stuck on the spot
- Fixed symptoms of wrestling error that could cause dwarves to freeze in place forever
- Stopped civs from sending a squad when they failed to find thieves/snatchers to send (led to small sieges in the first year)
- Allowed recover wounded jobs to bring dwarves to hospital floor if no beds are available
- Stopped recover wounded jobs from bringing dwarves to non-hospital beds
- Made caged/chained people request water/food with proper frequency

Other bug fixes/tweaks

- Made doctors remove dwarves from traction properly (checks weekly)
- Made dwarves move/get moved to new hospital more quickly if old hospital is removed
- Roots function as ramp walls properly now
- Can cross ramps covered by bridges in adventure mode
- Made critters that join up with your adventurer stop traveling if they were on a journey
- Made critters with entity-based army duties unwilling to join adventurers
- Stopped critters joined with you from considering moving, joining armies and other issues
- Added ability to repeat, suspend and cancel jobs from unit/job lists
- Made civ-level nobles attached to locations (e.g. barons) include their site in their name when possible
- Made dwarves that have been grabbed for chaining/etc. cancel their jobs properly
- Stopped certain events (like giving birth, resting or getting an artifact mood) from causing a working dwarf to suspend jobs for the whole fort
- Stopped chained mothers from seeking wandering infants
- Changed name of chaining/other jobs to include target instead of saying "animal" for everybody
- Made certain creatures like minotaurs act less civilized (requires LARGE_PREDATOR in raws)
- Stopped alarm moods from persisting long beyond event itself
- Made non-soldier adventure companions not default to flight (this could include giant demons, etc.)
- Stopped companions with stranger-kill ethics from starting no-quarter fights with strangers the party meets
- Made stranger-kill creatures respect their own prisoners/etc.
- Stopped adventure mode critters from persisting on outmoded paths when destination has changed
- Made sure dipscripts were loaded in the same order on different platforms (Quietust)
- Trading a worthless item for a non-worthless item no longer results in you initiating a robbery
- Wooden chests brought by elven traders are grown now
- Seeds that should be edible raw in adv mode are now edible

0.40.13 (September 17, 2014)
This release fixes some more bugs, old and new.

Major bug fixes
- Fixed item storage crash related to minecart being destroyed
- Stopped dwarves from trying to clean their own missing or internal body parts
- Cleared old activities properly so they aren't considered by dwarves for too long

Other bug fixes/tweaks
- Decreased frequency of conversation-skill-building dwarf chats
- Reworked grazing formula, used fractional exponent to scale properly according to size
- Made grazing tile selection less top-left biased and made it prefer non-creature'd tiles with denser grass
- Made butcher jobs for corpses not in piles respect z coordinate of building (Quietust)
- Handled some issues with subterranean areas being removed through trees
- Made workshop profile skill checks ignore skill rust
- Fixed problem with siege operator skill check (Quietust)
- Stopped a lever linking job from being added if it is already in progress
- Stopped fort dwarves from throwing their clothes off into a pile during unretire after being visited by adventurer
- Stopped fort animals from getting clothing during unretire after being visited by adventurer
- Stopped animals with kills from getting trinkets from corpses
- Stopped animals from growing attached to and bestowing names on items in their possession
- Stopped embark screen from setting neighbors with regular sites that happen to have zombies (due to another bug)
- Made "place item in tomb" job governed by burial instead of item hauling labor
- Made outside refuse order respect inside/outside instead of above ground/subterranean
- Stopped inside above ground corpses/corpse pieces from being destroyed periodically
- Stopped evaporation of inside above ground water from depending on the weather
- Stopped water items on the ground from being cleanable -- they evaporate instead
- Made water spatter evaporate properly over time
- Sped up extrasensory detection
- Sped up tracking of food consumption
- Re-enabled effects of cave adaptation

0.40.14 (October 25, 2014)
Here is the next release. The focus was not bugs this time, but rather completing the work started on emotions as well as basic fruit harvesting. A note -- adding stepladders to old saves was not possible, so you'll have to wait for a new world for those. Fallen fruit can still be gathered in old saves using the new plant gathering zones. Dwarves in old saves have also had their current thoughts wiped clean to make way for the new emotion/circumstance pairs.

New stuff
- Dwarf thoughts have been replaced with personality-dependent emotion/circumstance pairs
- Dwarf happiness has been replaced by a longer-term stress level, and a few new effects have been added
- Plant gathering zones can be used to set up fruit harvesting from trees using the new stepladder
- Plant gathering zones can also handle the old shrub jobs, and fallen fruit can also be gathered from zones
- Shrubs now have their berries/etc. gathered properly (bean-type plants that only have edible seeds are still an issue)
- As a stopgap, farm plot plants yield viable growths out of season upon harvest
- In adventure mode, it is possible to ask about people about yourself, other people, and how they are feeling

Other bug fixes/tweaks
- Stopped IMMOBILE creatures from trying to flee terrain
- Fixed problem with fear vs. stating proper opinion
- Stopped harvest/plant jobs from being added to farms slated for destruction
- Deconstructed farm plot loses items

OP updated

-KRS-

I had been waiting for a major new release to jump back in but sort of forgot about it. That is until this past weekend when I decided to look on the site and saw that 0.40.14 was out. Immediately downloaded it and basically spent the whole Saturday playing it. This game has that effect on me where I get sucked in and can't stop playing. Eventually I start to feel a bit crazy and have to shut it off to keep my sanity haha.

I've definitely become a bit rusty since last playing 0.34. My first fortress failed pretty quickly because I didn't get my still up in time and the river froze over, leading to my dwarves dying from dehydration. My second fortress went much better and I was able to get food and alcohol production running well. But then a were-tortoise showed up and killed one of my dwarves. I hadn't yet set up any military (I still need to work on getting that down) but a caravan was just leaving when it showed up and they stabbed it in the head with a spear. So the danger was gone, I thought. But it must have bitten another one of my dwarves because a month later he transformed into a were-tortoise as well and killed several others before they managed to strike him down. At that point I gave up because he probably infected others and it would be an endless cycle of transforming dwarves infecting others.

Looking forward to playing some more this coming weekend. Oh and 0.40.15 apparently came out yesterday. I'll wait for Dwarf Therapist to be updated before moving to that though.

Raptomex

I'll have to update the OP when I get home then. I'm still waiting for a real stable release. He keeps releasing updates so I'm waiting for that to die down. It seems he focused a lot on the adventurer mode. I still can't find an actual list as to what was done in fortress mode. From what people on the Bay 12 forums are saying something happened to invasions. It wasn't very positive.

0.40.15 (November 5, 2014)
Here's another release with bug fixes and small changes to brighten your day.

Major bug fixes

- Made growing trees update cave-in and light information properly
- Handled stress counter timing properly in adv mode
- Stopped nerve check from bypassing broken parts between thought center and body roots
- Stopped part from being pulped if inner nervous tissue is not detached
- Made pulped parts bleed properly
- Stopped crash from trying to place unit in proper connected component of crowded retired fort
- Fixed reversed inside/outside check for outdoor refuse hauling

Other bug fixes/tweaks
- Animals that can escape from cages no longer brought by traders
- Made reactions try to guess how their containers will be filled to stop problems with brewing large stacks etc.
- Small coin stacks can no longer be stuffed into non-containers
- Small coin stacks no longer pass through opponents
- Stopped tantrum dwarves from checking burrows for fistfights
- Changed tantrum action frequency
- Being in an owned site makes bogeyman not an issue
- Made ballista arrow heads and ballista arrows have edges
- Added ability to trade everything in the depot from either column
- Made column widths even in trade view and abbreviated strings differently
- Added select visible and select category to bring-to-depot menu
- Added totems to crafts tab of bring-to-depot screen
- Added a few categories to the kitchen menu
- Alphabetized stone and kitchen menus
- Added magma-safe indicator to stone menu
- Made encrust jobs respect furniture tools
- Cannot go into specific encrust menus if selected gem not available for encrust
- Dead dwarves removed from burrow count
- Made toggle button update properly when moving unit labor view to non-laborer
- Fixed a problem causing the right edge of the embark world map to disappear, including the cursor
- Fixed location of cursor in minimap for resized windows
- Made DOES_NOT_EXIST exclude creatures from certain lists properly
- Stopped stress reactions from being applied to unintelligent critters
- Stopped stress reactions of hidden creatures from being announced
- Fixed many typos (Gorobay)
- Updated description for pulping so it doesn't say "bruised" etc.
- Fixed broken artifact thought text
- Stopped immortality goal from having a broken display in thoughts
- Properly recognized multiple embark minecarts of the same material
- Slowed down tantrum/mood/etc. indicators
- Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something
- Increased default embark points to compensate for more default equipment (stepladder etc.)
- Allowed deletion of first uniform
- Stopped crafts brought by traders from satisfying craft mandates
- Made weather init option clear up weather properly instead of just turning off the global simulation

OP updated.

Top Bottom