• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Because its negatively affecting your enjoyment with the game and you would have more fun using your main weapon?

Yes, but that is, in my opinion, a flaw in the game design. A player shouldn't have to impose user-created self-restrictions on his or her own playstyle in order to fix a flaw in the game design.

I approach all the games I play with a min/max mentality*. That's fun for me. Becoming an all-powerful bad-ass is fun. If that, somehow, becomes not fun....and I have to intentionally de-power myself to make it fun again...then, well...that's when my interest starts to wane.

I still think I had the most fun with Dynasty Warriors 3:XL, because that was only the second XL and before we all knew what DLC was. But maybe that's just rose tinted glasses. At any rate, DW8XL on PC was pretty neat and reminded me why I like this series in the first place, unlike so many others who scoff at these types of games.

*Except for Street Fighter 4 since I use a shitty character.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
OK, now this game is starting to get a little less interesting. I have this problem in games where I tend to find the most OP shit you can do and abuse the hell out of it because why not.

I think I'm reaching that point in this game. The two-weapon system is partly to blame for this. Why bother using the main one when I can just switch to my flying swords horse charge attack of cyclone/slash/thunder/impulse/OHKO/can'tblockitlol/faceroll death train?

I really can't bring myself to self-gimp, either.

Do you use god-mode cheats when they are available? Overpowering your weapons is the same way, just a little more accessible. Where that fails, play on harder difficulties.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Do you use god-mode cheats when they are available?

Nope, I only use what's available in the game.

Overpowering your weapons is the same way, just a little more accessible. Where that fails, play on harder difficulties.
I'm already playing on hard and sometimes chaos. However, even with harder difficulties, the problem is still the same. The problem isn't that the game is too easy, the problem is that there's no reason to use my main weapon anymore when I've already made a god-tier second weapon.

Creaking

Nope, I only use what's available in the game.

I'm already playing on hard and sometimes chaos. However, even with harder difficulties, the problem is still the same. The problem isn't that the game is too easy, the problem is that there's no reason to use my main weapon anymore when I've already made a god-tier second weapon.

Electroshock therapy it is then.

Uthred

Yes, but that is, in my opinion, a flaw in the game design. A player shouldn't have to impose user-created self-restrictions on his or her own playstyle in order to fix a flaw in the game design.

I approach all the games I play with a min/max mentality*. That's fun for me. Becoming an all-powerful bad-ass is fun. If that, somehow, becomes not fun....and I have to intentionally de-power myself to make it fun again...then, well...that's when my interest starts to wane.

I still think I had the most fun with Dynasty Warriors 3:XL, because that was only the second XL and before we all knew what DLC was. But maybe that's just rose tinted glasses. At any rate, DW8XL on PC was pretty neat and reminded me why I like this series in the first place, unlike so many others who scoff at these types of games.

*Except for Street Fighter 4 since I use a shitty character.

Game design can only go so far, if you insist on playing the game in a way which is actively unfun for you but which the game allows then you are, by your own admission, valuing numerical efficiency over fun. I'm a big fan of min/maxing as well but if its actively detracting from my enjoyment of the game I'll generally tone it down (or depending on the game, simply move on). I mean most of the enjoyment in the game is from the, relatively simplistic, gameplay theres no real meta-game incentive to "farm" as quicky as possible, no "end game" as such. But to each their own, I generally stick with a characters main weapon because it feels more thematic, not because I fear the power of their secondary ;)

Creaking

Indeed :p

Thoughts on this?

I was doing a really big writeup on it, mostly focusing on movesets and whatnot, but that was late last night and I fell asleep before finishing. I could post what I've got though. Just about movesets and level design. There's also the whole characterization difference as well but talking about that whole aesthetic is very subjective.

But to each their own, I generally stick with a characters main weapon because it feels more thematic, not because I fear the power of their secondary ;)

Same here. Sometimes I even try to make their secondary weapon thematically significant as well, or if not, then just a really good combo. Like, in terms of theme, I'll give Huang Zhong the nine rings blade because it resembles his old oracle sword in design, and a man can't go into battle with a bow alone. Or as far as good combos go, I like to give Xiahou Dun the nine rings blade as well as his secondary weapon, because you can do a jump charge off of the NRB's switch attack, and you can perform a shadow sprint off of the Podao's jump charge. Gives it a nice flow.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I think an acceptable solution for me might be to just restrict myself to favorite weapons only. In a way, that makes it no different than the previous DW games where you only had one. Eh, we'll see.

I was doing a really big writeup on it, mostly focusing on movesets and whatnot, but that was late last night and I fell asleep before finishing. I could post what I've got though. Just about movesets and level design. There's also the whole characterization difference as well but talking about that whole aesthetic is very subjective.

If you have the desire to finish, I'd love to read your thoughts on it. If you don't really want to finish it, then you might as well post what you got.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Anybody knows where is Sun Shangxiang in Ambition Mode? Wujun and Jianye come up empty thus far. Somewhere else?

i think SSX was inside one of the duel stages, but since i ran out, she then appeared in one of the material stages afterwards. the swamp one i think.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
It's set! For example, Zhurong is always in Baidu Castle and Lu Bu is always in Xia Pi. It's super useful to know when you need to "farm" a character, lol.

O rly? And if I find Zhurong in Baidu Castle in Ambition mode I can use her there? No need to unlock her in Story Mode?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
yes, any character you find in ambition is usable as long as you dont make them a bodyguard.

excellent.... any way to game the system so baidu castle comes up? they only offer 4 ambition mode stages at a time and i'm not sure how to cycle them.

trying quitting/restarting ambition mode but i can't get baidi castle to pop...

thanks!

Creaking

In your view, what are the key differences between "classic" and "new" DW? The last DW I played was 4 or 5. It's been a while, and I don't think I've played DW8XL enough yet to think through the changes to the game.

Okay, so here's the way too big writeup I was talking about. Read it at your own leisure.

I entered the series with 4, so I don't know much about 3 or 2, but here's what I can say about the differences (though bear in mind that a lot of this information may pertain more strongly to 4 than to 5 or the first two Orochi games)

KO frequency (and peon counts in general), level design, and moveset structure. The lethality of footsoldiers vs officers is a strong point of difference as well, although I sometimes find that this varies from game to game within each era.

Combat in the older games tends to be on a smaller and more personal scale. Rather than decimating crowds of peons with single charge attacks, you sometimes find yourself fighting small 5-10 soldier groups as though they were officers themselves. Many footsoldiers can block, others interrupt your attacks. Officers aren't actually that strong (unless they are Lu Bu or playable officers in "I'm strong" mode) but they have a bit more health than regular soldiers and are a little smarter, in addition to being able to perform longer combos on you and sometimes musou attacks (which weren't "you're dead if you don't block this/get out of range" attacks like they are in 8 [and 7 and Orochi 3], but they could initiate such attacks without warning).

Movesets had a universal structure to them. There were six regular attacks (up to nine in 5), and six charge attacks. Each charge attack had a different function.

• C1, the charge attack with no normal attacks preceding it (triangle alone on PlayStation) was a unique attack that differed in function for every character, in 4 some were grapples, good for breaking guards, or "spirit arrows" which were short-range elemental projectiles that would change in effect depending on which elemental orb you had equipped (these attacks were largely changed to timed-detonation orbs in 5 with a preset elemental effect depending on your character), and some were just unique attacks, like Sun Jian's crowd-clearing spin, or Liu Bei's weird but useful u-turn slash.
  • C2, the charge attack with one normal attack preceding it (square then triangle on PlayStation) was always a move to lift the opponent into the air to further combo them. This has mostly stayed the same amongst all the changes in 7.
  • C3, the charge attack with two normal attacks preceding it (I think you get it at this point), was a combo string of repeated attacks that could be extended or shortened as the player saw fit. As you ranked up and earned your characters C5 and C6 attacks, you would also get an additional attack onto your C3. Three in total, counting the one you start with (Square Square, Triangle Triangle Triangle). This was always a useful move for eliminating enemy officers, not only because you could dole out a lot of damage with the combo string, but because the move's second function was to leave the enemy vulnerable. The last move in the string would either stun (enemy is off-guard for about two seconds) or dizzy (enemy is off-guard for much longer) the enemy, leaving them open to follow-up attacks. The second function of this charge attack remains mostly intact in the newer games, but the presence of a combo string is fairly rare now, and depends on the character. If it is present, it does not get expanded any further than how it is at the start.
  • C4, the charge attack with three normal attacks preceding it is an attack aimed at knocking the enemy away, and often has a large area of effect, making it a good early crowd-clearing attack. This attack is probably the one that has remained, in function, the most intact of all in the newer games, without a lot of variation in how it operates between movesets.
  • C5, the charge attack with four normal attacks preceding it (and the first that you have to unlock through ranking up), generally shares the same purpose of the C2 attack, but on a larger scale. This attack changed for all characters between DW4 and 5. In 4, it was always a two part attack, the first press would knock a small group of enemies into the air, and the second press would have your character leap up to knock them back down. In 5, it is simply an attack that launches a group into the air, through an explosion or summoned whirlwind or something like that. It had a bigger area of effect than the move in 4, but everything that came after the initial launch was up to the player. The operation of this attack in the newer games is different from character to character, but generally speaking, it does launch whatever enemies it hits into the air, so it's function is somewhat the same.
  • C6, the final charge attack, is much like C1. It's a unique attack that serves no specific outlined function, other than being typically powerful, or possessing a large area of effect, good for crowd-clearing. This has remained very much the same in 5, although there are some outliers, like Liu Bei's cruddy grapple move.
  • Jump attacks have changed a lot in function too. Normal jump attacks were always pretty much for attacking as quickly as possible (they all have fairly short startup animations) but charge attacks... in 4 they were all identical, and all served the purpose of crowd clearing (although you had to be cautious of the enemy leaping up to knock you out of the air). In 8, that is mostly the same case, without many interesting jump charges beyond bringing down the weapon in a medium-sized smash (though outliers do exist, like Cao Pi's bizarrely useful attack). In 5 they were quite varied. Some scooped up enemies to be comboed in the air for lots of damage. A few were basic smash the ground attacks, and many were just unique attacks pertaining to each character (Xu Huang helicopter, Pang Tong staff surf, Zuo Ci flamethrower hands)

Whatever the case, no moves were really weird or different than other characters. The downside is that the movesets often feel very much alike without enough unique flavor to how they function. The upside is that they are all at a close level of effectiveness, without any weapons that are super incredible (that aren't Lu Bu's halberd) compared to others. In 8, there's a lot more variation, but some movesets just... just suck. Some movesets are mostly good, but they may have attacks that are useless. Some movesets are perfectly designed and absolutely great. There's also been a recent focus on movesets with gimmicks, although that's not (typically) a bad thing. Take Yu Jin's trident for example (seriously do, that thing rocks). The C1 enchants the blade with some element, and each attack from C2-C6 has a corresponding element. You match up each attack and you get an orb. When you have three orbs, the next time you use C1, it imbues the trident with a "slay" elemental effect for a good long while. It sounds like a bit of a hassle, but it works incredibly well (partly thanks to a good moveset regardless of gimmicks).

Outside of the combat sphere, there's stage design. The older games tend to have slow ground movement, and smaller stages that feel big because you don't run all that fast. They're also very very flat. 3 dimensional design in the stages stuck out a lot in the more natural landscapes. However, these stages were very interconnected. It was easy to get from one place to the next without much hassle, and there weren't many dead-ends at the end of long winding paths. Since 6, there's been a major vertical expansion to the map design, since they implemented ladders and more mountainous terrain. Horses were made able to jump as well, although that change first appeared in Warriors Orochi 1. The vertical aspect made for some really nice looking levels, but it also messed up a lot of the interconnectivity. There are a lot more cliff faces now, and while you can jump down a cliff face for quick traversal or an ambush, you can't get back up so easily. Or you can, but you have to climb a ladder, which is very not exciting in the slightest. Much of it is simply level design, however. 8 has taken difficult-to-traverse maps to the extreme.

They also added the ability to swim (and thus, traversable bodies of water), which sounds great until you try it, then you just kind of wonder what the point was. 6 tried to make some good use of water, but the best thing that it did was offer a bit of interconnection between areas of the map. In 7, water was mostly just a pain in the butt, there to punish you if you fell off a bridge or a cliff by making you swim all the way back to the designated water exit area. It was also there to punish you if you knocked an enemy officer off a bridge, because then they would have to swim all the way back to you. In 8, traversable water is all but gone, save for key instances such as Fan Castle.

Where things get a lot more subjective is the whole aesthetic of the series. I feel like the games post-5 have a strong anime influence, not just in costume design (which is most apparent in 6 and shining straight into your eyes with Strikeforce), but the way the characters behave and present themselves. The characters speak more casually, often using more modern language or acting very lighthearted about fighting a battle. Fighting a battle becomes more like a game of paintball, and less like a struggle for control of the land. Granted the casual thing only applies to some of the characters.

As for individual personalities, if a character had a minor trait before, that was now a major trait. Characters are more pigeonholed into "what they're all about" and that is all they ever seem to talk about. In 3-5, they may have been less expressive about themselves, but it made sense. Often times they would say the same or similar things, only with their own little touches (compare DW4 Xiahou Dun's basic "enemy officer defeated" to Xiahou Yuan's roar of "I've taken out an officerrrr!!!!"). That's what it was for the most part, small touches that separated them. In 6 and beyond (especially 7 Orochi 3 and 8, where characters are designed to have dialogue for a huge number of situations), in what must've been an attempt to make the cast appear more "colorful" characters often shout about whatever it is that makes them unique at every possible occasion. Lu Xun is a young strategist. He is the future of Wu! Yuan Shao has an unhealthy obsession with his name and noble status! Zhang He is pretty! OH so pretty! Heck, just look at the 5 new characters from 8 Xtreme legends.

Fa Zheng: Reeeeveeeeenge!!!!
Yu Jin: Obey the law!!!!
Lu Linqi: I am Lu Bu's daughter! Prepare to face me, Lu Bu's daughter! Also, guess who my dad is! It's not Meng Huo!
Chen Gong: Fame!!!! Glory! (Though he got a bit of actual development in the story)
Zhu Ran: Did somebody mention rapid oxidation?

I understand that with a cast of 80+ characters, it's difficult to make more than a few seem multifaceted, but it does stand out. 3-5 characters had personalities that were rather understated, but they seemed a little more natural. 6-8 have characters that sing their single-notes loud and clear for all to hear. Fortunately, there are characters that have fuller, more fleshed out personalities, but they aren't always the right ones.

There are a few other aspects to the games, story mode setups, weapons, item systems, mounts and whatnot, but those all vary from title to title, and there's no distinct line to draw between the eras. This feels like enough for now, especially given how too big it is. If anyone reads this and finds something they don't agree with or something I forgot or misremembered (I haven't played 5 or 6 in many years), feel free to contend me on it. I don't want to be the bearer of bad knowledge here. A lot of this is just opinion.

NeonZ

Often times they would say the same or similar things, only with their own little touches (compare DW4 Xiahou Dun's basic "enemy officer defeated" to Xiahou Yuan's roar of "I've taken out an officerrrr!!!!").

That still happens in the Japanese track though. They all still say the same thing with just small variations, it's only the localization that likes giving all of them special catchphrases after defeating an officer.

Although, this is just part of it, and, yes, generally they did move to highlight a specific trait of each character even in the Japanese track.

AAA post. definitely agree on the dw8 stage issues where everything has a deadend after a long ass winding path.

I think koei missed an opportunity since a lot of cliffs look like the height that a horse can jump on but an invisible wall stops them. maybe they could have had red hare have the ability to jump higher than other horses, giving him more use than just going really fast (is it just me or is red hare....not as fast as before) opening up new ways.

also agree on the character "personalities". wheres as before they had small quirks to set them apart, it has completely overtaken their personas and they become walking cliches. "NOBODY REMEMBERS ME" and so on and so forth.

zang he has always been flamboyant though.

Creaking

I think koei missed an opportunity since a lot of cliffs look like the height that a horse can jump on but an invisible wall stops them. maybe they could have had red hare have the ability to jump higher than other horses, giving him more use than just going really fast (is it just me or is red hare....not as fast as before) opening up new ways.

zhang he has always been flamboyant though.

Red Hare has seemed slower overall to me since at least 6. I think it might be because map sizes have gotten larger, and on-foot speed has generally increased.

Zhang He was less flamboyant and more narcissistic and cruel in the earlier titles. Now he's ditzy. I mean, it's funny, but lines like "While I would rather be the chase-ee than the chaser, I suppose it can't be helped" are ridiculous. And he uses beauty to justify pretty much every action he takes. If he defects, it's because the enemy team was more beautiful. If the enemy launches an effective ambush, he'll call it ungraceful. If his team launches an effective ambush, he'll call it magnificent. Hypocrisy can be an interesting character flaw, but with Zhang He it just feels a little annoying.

there's a name for it when character traits at the beginning of any work of entertainment basically become magnified and completely overtake that character''s motif.
as for red hare, i forget which mission it is that Yuan Shao sends a messenger to lu bu to make him defect, and i was on red hare.

i was looking at the map icon, and i swear the messenger was running a almost the same speed as red hare's icon. and i wasnt even that far . i always have to keep some musou bars in place just for running with horses.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Wow Creaking, nice writeup!

there's a name for it when character traits at the beginning of any work of entertainment basically become magnified and completely overtake that character''s motif.

Flanderization

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Flanderization

sitcom_char_8984.jpg

Creaking

Flanderization is the casual term, I don't know if there's anything more official. Ah, Rentahamster got it.

Yeah, it's been a problem for Dynasty Warriors for a while. There are some good characters though. Ones that tend to get more focus in the story, most of the time. Most of the strategists are well rounded (I think Jia Xu is my favorite of the newer ones), although surprisingly, Zhuge Liang has gotten increasingly annoying with his constant predictions. It's funny in the end. He acts like he predicts everything that will happen, yet ultimately, Shu collapses, and the man's last testament to the world, his successor Jiang Wei, is the biggest wedge keeping the land from achieving peace and unification. All in the name of "benevolence" or the even vaguer "virtue". Or to help "the people" like Liu Bei was so fond of. Because clearly peace by any other hand would be no good for "the people". When you beat Liu Bei in Wei's story mode and his last words are [paraphrased] "Cao Cao, take care of the people." I just think, wow, that guy was kind of an idiot. What did he think Cao Cao was going to do? It's less that they were historically idiots, and more that the way they are presented in Dynasty Warriors as of late is so simplified that it's hard to believe anyone would fight under their banner.

Uh oh, I think I'm getting mad at Shu again...

I was also ranting about poor Yuan Shao the other day on the Koei Warriors forums, both on the flanderization of his character and some other things like his moveset.

Yuan Shao... his old voice actor was fantastic, but I don't think any voice can make us take him seriously until they change the character's personality.
Yeah, definitely. They need to dial back the "pride" aspect of his character (which has mutated into cartoonish arrogance and a fanatical obsession with his name or 'the nobility', to the point where it's become a game to see how many times he can bring either up in conversation) and bring back more of the honor. I can't believe anyone would follow under the banner of his character in his current condition, they would have to be as delusional as he is.

3-5 Yuan Shao is fine, good enough to have his own story modes, even.

Orochi is when he started drifting into his current persona, 6 gave him the dreadful new look and voice, and 7 killed any remnants of his former personality. In 8 he sounds outright racist at times, if being born into nobility was somehow a race. There's probably a better word for that. Classcist? Eh.

The extension sword mostly stinks too. I thought it had potential, but too many of it's charge attacks are wasted, it has no efficient guard break (save maybe dash cancelling his switch attack) and his second EX attack sucks. I actually thought his Orochi 3 moveset wasn't too shabby, but I'm guessing it'll be stuck there forever.

Anyways, they should lose the snootiness, hearken back to the old design, try a different voice--old one was great, but I'm not against trying something new, so long as "snob" doesn't come to mind after hearing the first word out of his mouth--maybe work on the moveset, and give him more things to do in the games. I find that his story cutscenes are the most tolerable of his appearances.

His meeting with Cao Cao in Guan Du has been so stupid these past few games. In the older titles, he might actually say something like

"To have to slay my own friend by my own hand... I suppose that is the price that I must pay. Cao Cao, please forgive me. I yearn for the day when we can meet and talk again as friends."

which sort of ties into his flaws as a leader, being rather indecisive. Not being an unhealthily arrogant noodlehead. His confrontation with Cao Cao had a bit of a tragic overtone to it. There used to be a comparison between the two men, now it's Serious My Ambition Man vs. Bright-Yellow Cartoon Character With a Silly Mustache. And when Yuan Shao falls, there's no lamentation, Cao Cao just says, "Yuan Shao, you're kind of an idiot" and Yuan Shao goes "M-my name! My name could beat up your name!" and then I wait for a piano to fall on his head because he's a friggin' cartoon.

Flanderization is the casual term, I don't know if there's anything more official. Ah, Rentahamster got it.

Yeah, it's been a problem for Dynasty Warriors for a while. There are some good characters though. Ones that tend to get more focus in the story, most of the time. Most of the strategists are well rounded (I think Jia Xu is my favorite of the newer ones), although surprisingly, Zhuge Liang has gotten increasingly annoying with his constant predictions. It's funny in the end. He acts like he predicts everything that will happen, yet ultimately, Shu collapses, and the man's last testament to the world, his successor Jiang Wei, is the biggest wedge keeping the land from achieving peace and unification. All in the name of "benevolence" or the even vaguer "virtue". Or to help "the people" like Liu Bei was so fond of. Because clearly peace by any other hand would be no good for "the people". When you beat Liu Bei in Wei's story mode and his last words are [paraphrased] "Cao Cao, take care of the people." I just think, wow, that guy was kind of an idiot. What did he think Cao Cao was going to do? It's less that they were historically idiots, and more that the way they are presented in Dynasty Warriors as of late is so simplified that it's hard to believe anyone would fight under their banner.

maybe you need some....Benevolence.

and also i dont know when it happened, but Shu has felt like the punching back these past couple releases. wei gets all the cool animations and intros and movies. plus subjectively the better character designs for new character.

shaowebb

and also i dont know when it happened, but Shu has felt like the punching back these past couple releases. wei gets all the cool animations and intros and movies. plus subjectively the better character designs for new character.

Because Shu was in fact Wei's punching bag historically. ^_-

Creaking

All the people with brains in Shu end up dying too early (Pang Tong, Zhuge Liang), followed by their competent warriors (Zhang Fei, Guan Yu, Zhao Yun, Ma Chao), leaving children who believe everything that their stupid parents told them. One of my favorite cutscenes in 7 (which did actually have some really good story moments) was when Liu Shan just surrenders to Jin at the end without a fight. I know he was supposed to be kind of an idiot historically, but I like how they play with his persona a bit in 7 and 8. He's not a very good leader or fighter, but he knows when to quit.

NeonZ

Because clearly peace by any other hand would be no good for "the people". When you beat Liu Bei in Wei's story mode and his last words are [paraphrased] "Cao Cao, take care of the people." I just think, wow, that guy was kind of an idiot. What did he think Cao Cao was going to do? It's less that they were historically idiots, and more that the way they are presented in Dynasty Warriors as of late is so simplified that it's hard to believe anyone would fight under their banner.

I was also ranting about poor Yuan Shao the other day on the Koei Warriors forums, both on the flanderization of his character and some other things like his moveset.

The main issue there is that Wei pretty much was deflanderized in the most recent games. They were portrayed as tyrants who'd be no good for the people in the earlier games, and so Liu Bei's attitude made sense, but now they're mostly justified, especially in their own story mode, but Shu's attitude regarding them and their conflict wasn't changed at all, even when Liu Bei himself is the enemy. So, Liu Bei's attitude becomes rather senseless due to the changed context surrounding it.

Yuan Shao and Dong Zhuo seem to be the two characters currently that Koei allows to be just foolish evil without reason - in Yuan Shao's case, that also came alongside highlighting a single trait of his like you mention there, and Dong Zhuo was always like that, basically just making them jokes compared to the other cast members.

shaowebb

The main issue there is that Wei pretty much was deflanderized in the most recent games. They were portrayed as tyrants who'd be no good for the people in the earlier games, and so Liu Bei's attitude made sense, but now they're mostly justified, especially in their own story mode, but Shu's attitude regarding them and their conflict wasn't changed at all, even when Liu Bei himself is the enemy. So, Liu Bei's attitude becomes rather senseless due to the changed context surrounding it.

Yuan Shao and Dong Zhuo seem to be the two characters currently that Koei allows to be just foolish evil without reason - in Yuan Shao's case, that also came alongside highlighting a single trait of his like you mention there, and Dong Zhuo was always like that, basically just making them jokes compared to the other cast members.

Liu Bei begged Wu to help, got lucky at Chibi with the wind changing before the battle allowing the fire attack to play out, and then charmed himself into a political marriage for land bordering his much more wealthy uncle who he then stole all the wealth and land from to establish a stronghold. From there the dork split his troops too thin to where he couldn't support them if needed from that far away, got his best men killed, and sat the rest of the war with his ass to a wall trying not to get his crap packed in hard by Wei/Jin forces.

Man was an incompetent charmer with no military skill who kissed the ass of the biggest guys he could find until he had a pair of sworn blood brother thugs to save him and he wanted to talk his way into enough power to seize the land under his rule under the pretense of being the people's champion and a truely listening leader.

Liu Bei sucked. Hell, Sun Shang Xiang walked around with guards and fled fearful he would kill her. I'm glad to see them get stomped in the game story finally.

Was thinking quite a few characters actually started out as one-note and flat, but have developed quite a ways as the series progressed.

Cao Cao, of course, presents one of the more notable evolutions, to me. His portrayal in 7 was probably the biggest change from the ruthlessly practical autocrat that everybody who played 3-5 knew him as. Then there's Xiahou Yuan, who was non-descript for the greater part of 3-5 and through Orochi. Then came 7 where he's presented as the sympathetic every-man in an army of weirdos that could befriend anybody and was something of the most relatable one in the bunch.

Will agree that quite a few other characters got flattened out. The current face of Yuan Shao is pretty much just a parody of the character he used to be (they really should have just built Yuan Shu based on this current persona). And while most of the new characters are definitely single dimensional; I think it's just because they haven't had time yet to be developed in comparison to the older ones.

Seyavesh

i will never forgive omega team for turning sun jian into goku. what the hell was that design change holy god

also a lot of people have a real hatred for shu because of how whitewashed their history is but man i love the romantic/totally fake versions of them. the theme/story of flawed dudes tryin' to do the right thing the 'just' way vs. other flawed dudes tryin' to achieve peace by any means necessary. the 'cao cao would rather betray the world than have it betray him' kinda portrayal is really interesting because he's also obviously not a total villain like dong zhuo! someone who both has the power and is using it in the most blunt way possible to achieve peace vs. someone who doesn't have power but has skill and cannot stand to see people suffering because of that usage of blunt force. i guess it's cliche but eh

mostly though i just love jiang wei in dw7 'cuz that boy has the best 'next generation' character design where he takes cues from liu bei, zhuge liang and zhao yun's (the 3 'central' shu chars in dw) movesets and costume designs. and is better than all of them by miles in actual moveset power 'cuz holy hell his ex moves and musous are insane.
GHBlER3.jpg

dw8's biggest flaw to me is actually the streamlining of it's stages. it condenses things too much to allow for those really cool 'personal' moments that happen all the damn time in DW3-5/WO1-2 and relegates them to either parts of the map or glosses over them entirely. si shui gate just being this minor nothingness part of hu lao gate's map is an early example of this and it's really lame because it both adds into the flanderization of the characters by removing cool characterizing moments (yuan shao actually being a decent dude but arrogant/unable to due much because of family lineage and yuan shu's crappiness + adding to sun jian's distrust of the ruling parties) and removes cool parts and design, like being able to rush supplies to sun jian's aid (this was in dw3/4 ffs!), or defeat hua xiong with your character while he rampages and builds up the threat of the dong zhuo army as a 'lu bu-lite' or builds up guan yu's badassery by you not being able to deal with him while guan yu wrecks his ass

those short cutscenes like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTAymz_LIug or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsYSxBXnvhE are basically completely gone, and old DWs had probably literally HUNDREDS of them for various combinations of character encounters that you could possibly never see. and all of them built up the characters in 'em to some degree and made them unique and cool, rather than 'just another guy with one trait'

i was really hoping with dw7/8 adding gongsun zan and other early guys alongside 2nd generation guys they'd expand on these kinds of cool character moments because usually old DW games would gloss over what happened after the yellow turban rebellion and hulao gate and just jump straight to the 'liu bei recruits zhuge liang and begins the 3 kingdoms strategy'

i actually like liu shan/a-do's portrayal in DW over like literally any other version because it's way more interesting than them and the 'reality' (which is usually also pretty interesting but lol he was truly a piece of shit irl).

he's someone who had a legacy thrust upon him and grew up knowing only war while being taught the virtues of peace and justice for all so when the 2nd generation rolls around and it's mostly the shu remnants stirring up trouble for the peaceful wei empire and continuing the war/causing 'chaos' he's really reluctant to do so even though literally everyone else around him are both encouraging and training him to do exactly that.

the endings in dw7 with him are all about him being put in a position where he can surrender knowing that his people won't be put to death/in a tyrannical position. and he's completely fine with it because it goes along with the teachings of his father about peace/justice/benevolence etc.

edit: geez i miss these in-mission cutscenes so much. i really hope they remake WO1/2 or something because WO3's storyline wasn't as cool and had all the same dang problems as DW7/8 in expressing cool character moments.

show me your favs:

here's some of mine (all from WO!)
nobunaga vs cao cao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cfbBmMyHps
zhang liao and gan ning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51tjK_E_xPU
tadakatsu honda vs lu bu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoINDWErZc8

edit 2:
oh yeah i also LOATHE that liu bei has been made so young. the dude was pretty old so his dw3-5 'ruler' look was way more fitting and made him look way less like a fool. him looking like a young dope instead of a true leader really went a long way to make him really unappealing.

Creaking

Oh yeah, I agree with most of everything you said (cept the Jiang Wei stuff, that guy annoys me [it's mostly his voice <and his hair>]), especially about the glossing over of stages. I've been playing Dynasty Warriors 4 Hyper lately (8-way motion, hoo-rah), and I'm rather surprised at how many small events can occur for individual characters. Not just wholly unique things, but the little stuff that everyone shares as well. In Si Shui gate alone (being it's own stage does indeed make the battle seem much more significant. Hu Lao gate even moreso. DW8's Hu Lao [the gate itself] is pathetic. I think 5 had my favorite design, though 6 and 7 weren't too shabby either) there are cutscenes for defeating Hua Xiong and discovering the enemy's supply depot, where no matter the character, they say something slightly unique. 4 also had the minor tales stages which were sometimes really cool, even if some were made up. Defeating Zhang Jiao after causing him to retreat earlier. Zhang Lu and his constant "ha ha ha, I'm over here!" they even had a stage for Sun Jian's finding of the imperial seal. Kind of poorly designed (you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can actually find the seal), but an interesting concept nonetheless that highlights a fictionalized event important to Wu's origins.

As for favorite scenes, it's been a while, but I do remember this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4ckeLjiA_s&index=13&list=PL118DB79E141CA13C

Yeah, you get it no matter what, but back when I was playing the game for the first time, it was the first time I had ever seen anything related to Samurai Warriors, and it was awesome. Ha ha ha ha...

i still lament that they removed guan-yu's escape.

being a xiahou dun player, that was an essential part of the story, and a fun stage.

Creaking

Great place to farm for items in Dynasty Warriors 5. Or was it weapons? One of the two. Short stage, but packed with boxes.

And cool. Just cool.

I miss the longer Yellow Turban Rebellion. Since 6, it's been resigned to a single stage. 4 Had the neat prelude stages with Zhang Liang and Zhang Bao (Other), and 5 had the neat what-ifs. 8 just made him obsessed (perhaps erotically) with Liu Bei.

I miss the longer Yellow Turban Rebellion. Since 6, it's been resigned to a single stage. 4 Had the neat prelude stages with Zhang Liang and Zhang Bao (Other), and 5 had the neat what-ifs. 8 just made him obsessed (perhaps erotically) with Liu Bei.

Kinda sucks because Zhang Jiao was pretty cool in DW7, where he almost appeared sinister, as opposed to his usual airy-fairy disposition.

NeonZ

Man was an incompetent charmer with no military skill who kissed the ass of the biggest guys he could find until he had a pair of sworn blood brother thugs to save him and he wanted to talk his way into enough power to seize the land under his rule under the pretense of being the people's champion and a truely listening leader.

Liu Bei sucked.

He basically went from nothing to controlling a large part of China, and managed to even achieve victories against Wei many times in spite of not controlling the central plains, the most developed and populous part of China at the time.

His historical character might not have been truly benevolent (although, at least, he isn't known for massacring cities for revenge, unlike Cao Cao...), but he did some very impressive things considering his initial position and resources.

Hell, Sun Shang Xiang walked around with guards and fled fearful he would kill her.
You're completely reversing things there. Historically Liu Bei was the one fearful that her personal guard would kill him. She also used it to walk around and bully locals.

She even supposedly kidnaps Liu Shan and attempts to take him to Wu as a hostage when the alliance between the kingdoms was broken, although some question that tale due to some other dubious stories in its original source.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The only actual history of this period is what I saw from playing these games since DW1, so forgive me if I sound dumb, but how is there an emperor and yet the country is divided? Are all 3 factions claiming to be the legitimate and they think that the others are filthy rebels or something?

qindarka

Banned
The only actual history of this period is what I saw from playing these games since DW1, so forgive me if I sound dumb, but how is there an emperor and yet the country is divided? Are all 3 factions claiming to be the legitimate and they think that the others are filthy rebels or something?

The Han dynasty which has stood for 400 years was undermined by corruption. It gradually became decentralised enabling warlords to govern territories independently. One of the major ones was Sun Ce/Sun Quan who established a strong foothold in the southeast. Liu Bei also wandered for years before securing a powerbase in Shu. The last Han Emperor was a puppet all his life, being instated by Dong Zhuo and later coming under the control of Cao Cao who wielded power in his name and who unified most of the northern and central part of China.

The 3 kingdoms only officially came into being after Cao Pi deposed Emperor Xian and declared himself Emperor of Wei. In response to that, Liu Bei declared himself emperor of Shu-Han and a number of years later, Sun Quan became Emperor of Wu.

In terms of legitimacy, Wei is the official successor to the Han. However, Cao Cao had kept the emperor as a puppet and the latter was evidently unhappy with this, arranging at least one plot to retake power. The later deposition of the Han was also forced. Hence, it is commonly viewed and especially emphasized by the novel that Cao Cao/Wei were traitors. A similar fate would later befall Wei as they were usurped by the Sima family who established the Jin dynasty what later went on to unify China.
Liu Bei was a distant relative of the emperor, being the descendant on an early Han emperor, and it is popular to view his state of Shu-Han as the legitimate sucessor to the Han. In the novel, Liu Bei's primary motivation was to restore the Han Dynasty though in history, it might well have been a pretext to secure power for himself.
Wu pretty much has no legitimacy beyond having the strength to hold their territory, which is as good a reason as any.

Thats roughly it, may have minor inaccuracies here and there.

shaowebb

seyavash said:
Jiang Wei

We will be the bitterest of rivals lol. I have a running thing with Jiang Wei...have since maybe 7 or Orochi 2. If I see him, or if he shows up in the battle I am in I drop EVERYTHING (and I mean everything) and take off across the entire map screaming murderously at the top of my lungs "JIAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG WEEEEEEEEEEEEEII!!!!!!!!!! IM COMING FOR YOOOOOOU!!! GET YOUR ASS OUT HERE AND SAY BENEVOLENCE ONE MORE TIME YOU SON OF A BITCH!!!" ...and so on and so forth. I do similarly for Ma Chao because I play Wang Yi a lot too.

Sadly though my main isn't in DW8. I play Nemea. Still I make due and murder him however I can.

Creaking

Rejoice! The new DLC weapons from DW8 Vanilla are finally available on PS4. We also got two new stage packs (14 and 15) and the bundled version of all the school outfits costumes.

Kind of peeved that they're charging for the extra skins for the new weapons. 1.99 for 12 skins as opposed to 1.99 for 26-ish skins in the other skin packs.

I like all of the DLC weapons so far, except for the paired fans and the emei piercers. The fans are better than the single fan, but are still really weak compared to other weapons. The piercers are... uh, smaller than I thought they'd be, and have too many strong attacks that end in a stab grapple for my tastes (like 4 or so. C1 C3 C6 and JC)

Still, one thing I like about the DLC weapons is that the devs have to make the weapons good by themselves. They can't rely on EX attacks to make a moveset worthwhile.

Velikost

Koei Tecmo finally mentioned the inclusion of a DoF toggle:

Koei Tecmo Twitter said:
Regarding the blur effects on #DW8XLCE for the #PS4, the patch will be released later this month (same time for the PC version). #KTfamily

https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/486818890232901632

I read a week or two ago that Japanese VA support was coming this month and was just being held back by Sony's QA, but this is the first I've heard about a depth of field toggle. Really happy it's finally coming; I wonder if anything else is included in the patch as well. Either way, this month will be my time to hop back into the game.

the pc version has some weird graphical hiccups during cutscenes.

things like hair or clothign flipping out. and blurred characters and entire scenes at random spots.

never played a warriors orochi. hows that series been since dw6? i mention dw6 since the reason its so radicaly different from the previous versions is because koei apparently cleaned house after dw5 so im wondering how the series is flowing.

is it coming to pc?

Creaking

never played a warriors orochi. hows that series been since dw6? i mention dw6 since the reason its so radicaly different from the previous versions is because koei apparently cleaned house after dw5 so im wondering how the series is flowing.

is it coming to pc?

Well, none of the Orochi games have used Dynasty Warriors 6 as a base, so Orochi 3 has the Dynasty characters as of Dynasty Warriors 7 Xtreme Legends (with the addition of Xu Shu in Ultimate), and the Samurai characters as of Samurai Warriors 3 Xtreme Legends. As of Ultimate, they've also got about 35 characters unique to the Orochi series, whether stemming from that series itself, or brought in from an outside franchise. It's prutty good, although I didn't like the changes they made to Technique characters nor the addition of Wonder category characters.

No PC release has been announced.

is it coming to pc?

Yeah, Koei did clean house after DW5 for DW6.

Everyone hated it so they recleaned the house and basically brought it back to DW5 for DW7 and on. The main difference is the weapon switching where movesets are mostly determined by your equipped weapon and not character (though characters do have their own unique EX-moves for their preferred weapons and musou attacks). You still have your 6 charge moves, a normal string, etc.

As such, the Warriors Orochi games never really had that radical change that the DW games experience with 6. Of course there are still problems mostly with the Samurai characters, Tech characters getting nerfed pretty hard, reclassing characters for WO3 but whatever.

if i go back and redo a stage for a hypothetical, will it affect the rest of the other story stages regardless of whether i choose "select stage" or "play all?

i.e. if i do a hypothetical in stage 2 that allows some dude to be alive for stage 8, do i have to play 2-8 to get the effect or can i just do 2, 8-onwards?

Top Bottom