• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
More of the old stage packs today. That's two DLC releases in two weeks though, isn't it? Save for the week before E3, I thought they were going bi-weekly.

Pretty soon they've got to run out of other things to offer that aren't the new weapons.

Sora_N

Odd question but here goes. I have DW8 on PS3 and didn't really finish the story modes yet (I paused on Wei, only finished Wu and Shu so Jin and Other are not done). If I buy XL on sale for Vita do I 'have' to import data right away or can I just import/transfer whenever I feel like? Since the trophies are different I guess it really doesn't matter.

I was going to buy it for PS4 but it's too expensive and I'd rather just wait for the next Musou game before I jump at such a high price.

Giolon

Odd question but here goes. I have DW8 on PS3 and didn't really finish the story modes yet (I paused on Wei, only finished Wu and Shu so Jin and Other are not done). If I buy XL on sale for Vita do I 'have' to import data right away or can I just import/transfer whenever I feel like? Since the trophies are different I guess it really doesn't matter.

I was going to buy it for PS4 but it's too expensive and I'd rather just wait for the next Musou game before I jump at such a high price.

You can only import from PS3 non-XL at the time that you first create your XL save data.

Sora_N

You can only import from PS3 non-XL at the time that you first create your XL save data.

Damn, that's what I figured. I'll probably still pick it up later on this week but won't start the game yet and work on finishing the story modes first for PS3. Thanks!

Risette

A Good Citizen
So if I buy DLC for the PS3 version, will PS4 DLC be free for me? Won't have to rebuy it?

I've been reluctant buying the DLC but I'm ready to give in I think.

So if I buy DLC for the PS3 version, will PS4 DLC be free for me? Won't have to rebuy it?

I've been reluctant buying the DLC but I'm ready to give in I think.

It now should be free.

Just don't buy anything that hasn't been released for the Vita/PS4 version yet since Koei is having 'difficulties' moving the DLC over and making sure the system recognizes you already bought it.

Most of them are now work expect for the New Weapon Pack Set 1 for the Vita. :E

Ugh why does this always happen to me? :( After March and April ripped a big hole in my gaming wallet I told myself I won't buy anything anymore after Mario Kart 8 till August and yet... I haven't really played a Dynasty Warriors game since the PS2 days (aside from the One Piece one a few times) and then a friend of mine goes and buys DW8 for his PS3 and I play a mission of coop with him. Now I have the lingering feeling that I need this game for my PS4... Are there any good deals in the EU for it? I really can't justify spending another 50-60€ on a random fluke of my mood.

I considered the PC version on the Steam sale but I'm not happy about it being half? gimped on a technical level for no apparent reason :/

The PC version is only gimped by not having online coop or DLC (yet). It performs great, is the only version in English with all the recent patch updates and can be modded. It's so nice playing this at max settings with SweetFX at 60 FPS. I 100% perfer it over the ps4 version.

I double dipped at $25 and am extremely happy with the purchase. Plus, the feature to sort weapons by attribute when buying / fusing is sorely missing from the other versions. It makes things so much simpler.

If the lack of online coop isn't a deal breaker, I'd definitely recommend it.

Uthred

The PC version is only gimped by not having online coop or DLC (yet). It performs great, is the only version in English with all the recent patch updates and can be modded.

Its also missing the enhanced textures and effects of the PS4 version, also possibly less enemies on screen?

It is a mix of ps3 and ps4 versions. It is missing a few graphical effects of the ps4 version, but, afaik, it has the same amount of enemies at high settings.

kaioshade

My only gripe with the PC version is the slightly wonky controller inputs.

Using the Xbox One controller, while in camp during ambition mode, the character will stop running and do into a walk if a diagonal is pressed. seems to be a lot of reports about it on the steam forums. Other than that, so far I'm immensely enjoying it.

The PC version is only gimped by not having online coop or DLC (yet). It performs great, is the only version in English with all the recent patch updates and can be modded. It's so nice playing this at max settings with SweetFX at 60 FPS. I 100% perfer it over the ps4 version.

I double dipped at $25 and am extremely happy with the purchase. Plus, the feature to sort weapons by attribute when buying / fusing is sorely missing from the other versions. It makes things so much simpler.

If the lack of online coop isn't a deal breaker, I'd definitely recommend it.

Hmm good points, I didn't take the modability into account and while online-play was never a huge idea for me in terms of Dynasty Warriors but that's also a thing I don't understand lacking in a Steam version of a game, is there split-screen atleast? :eek: You did potentially save the PC version for me though so thanks for that :) If it gets to 50% off again in the Steam Sale there's a high probability I will bite :p

Its also missing the enhanced textures and effects of the PS4 version, also possibly less enemies on screen?

I could live with the missing bloom and lack of DoF but to be honest less enemies on screen if true and worse textures for no reason are no dealbreakers to me I just feel iffy to support such things when there's no reason to :/ If I would get the PS3 version I would of course understand it not being as good as a PC or PS4 version though PC versions shouldn't generally be worse if there's a better version elsewhere. I didn't like it when FIFA opted for that too... Though it doesn't seem as extreme here so I might let it slide :p

It is a mix of ps3 and ps4 versions. It is missing a few graphical effects of the ps4 version, but, afaik, it has the same amount of enemies at high settings.

What you say about the enemy count reassures me, thanks! Like said I could live without the effects atleast I guess :)

is the ps4 ver patched yet so i can remove that horrible DOF

Funny how that works, I usually love DoF after Durante's great work for Dark Souls II though I've seen many complaints about the DW8 PS4 one, is there any good screenshot that shows it off?

NeonZ

Empires 7 still was compatible with some costume DLC from 7/XL (Fantasy, Fairy Tale and School outfits) and also weapon skins, although the maps and new weapon types weren't compatible (weapon types because they were part of DW7E's default content though). This time, it's possible they won't include the weapons in Empires though - in Empires 7, the DLC weapons were used to give new movesets to characters who previously shared the same Ex weapon. Now, in DW8, every character already has their own unique weapon, so they might just not bother with them and leave them as DLC.

bought it on flash sale.

Apparently the B button is used to confirm and the A button used to cancel. You can guess that i had a slight issue at the beginning. also what's up with the logos you have to go through everytime you quit the game? thats just weird/annoying.

other than that... 2 second load times, no slowdowns, and full enemies on screen?

i dont even care if its a little gimped, its the sexiest version of the game yet!

bought it on flash sale.

Apparently the B button is used to confirm and the A button used to cancel. You can guess that i had a slight issue at the beginning. also what's up with the logos you have to go through everytime you quit the game? thats just weird/annoying.

other than that... 2 second load times, no slowdowns, and full enemies on screen?

i dont even care if its a little gimped, its the sexiest version of the game yet!

It was a Flash Sale?! When for how much? o.o

Game is fantastic. Because of it, I am super hyped for Hyrule Warriors, WO3U, and SW4. I know the HnK ones aren't that great but I will go out and pick those up as well.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Game is fantastic. Because of it, I am super hyped for Hyrule Warriors, WO3U, and SW4. I know the HnK ones aren't that great but I will go out and pick those up as well.

The first Fist Of The Northstar Ken's Rage is awesome. Skip the second.

I think it will be, it was pretty popular.

That's good to hear, I hope you're right :) If not I might aswell bite for 35€ though I can get the PS4 version for 40€ apparently so if it doesn't appear in the sale again I will have a hard time deciding witch version to go with. Afterall the PC and PS4 both have different strengths and weaknesses.

JoRo

Has anyone heard any news about the depth of field patch lately? Or have they forgotten about us? And how much more DLC do they have to release? I've been holding out on actually playing the game because I wanted all the DLC from DW8 released so I could download it and the few times I did play, I hated the dof effect. Almost enough to make you sick.

Creaking

Has anyone heard any news about the depth of field patch lately? Or have they forgotten about us? And how much more DLC do they have to release? I've been holding out on actually playing the game because I wanted all the DLC from DW8 released so I could download it and the few times I did play, I hated the dof effect. Almost enough to make you sick.

No official word. I think there was mention that the long awaited Japanese voice DLC for PS4 was coming at the end of next month, and some are hoping that also ties into the equally long awaited patches.

I've gotten used to the depth of field myself, but I really want the patch that lets you customize the attributes of star weapons. I need some velocity on my 5th and 6th weapons, man!

anyone have a good guide for the game? the whole orbs and bodyguard system is confusing to me and there was like one ingame popup about it but i skipped it by accident.

Creaking

anyone have a good guide for the game? the whole orbs and bodyguard system is confusing to me and there was like one ingame popup about it but i skipped it by accident.

Orbs? Is this Dynasty Warriors 4?

Bodyguards are a little funky, but useful once you get the gist of them. You earn them through playing ambition mode and defeating officers (any officer you defeat joins you), and each has a certain cost (in leadership points) to employ. By default, every character you play as has only 30 leadership points to spend, although your character's leadership level can be improved through the use of bodyguards in free or ambition mode, thus granting you more points to employ even playable characters as bodyguards.

Each bodyguard has a passive attribute and a battle skill that they can be commanded employ during battle. The passive attribute says something like Assistance - Growth or Rouse - Recovery. You should be able to read what each one does by pressing triangle/y/whateverthepcbuttonis over a selected bodyguard. These attributes take effect so long as your bodyguard is near you. By maxing out your bond with a bodyguard (done by going to battle with a bodyguard several times, and possibly by using their abilities. Best done through ambition mode), you can unlock a second passive attribute to take effect alongside the first.

The battle skills are abilities that bodyguards can be ordered to use (by pausing and selecting command bodyguards) a limited number of times during a battle. These are things like Fire Attack or Forage, and they provide a tactical, Empires-lite angle to battles in free and ambition mode (some skills are more useful in one mode more than the other). The number of times a bodyguard can initiate a battle skill is determined by their skill level. Each skill level allows an officer to perform their battle skill an additional time. Skill level is increased by giving up other bodyguards to improve a single one. Generic officers add a bit to a bodyguard's skill level, while playable officers offer a lot. The officers you give up can later be regained through ambition mode, the same way you got them the first time, although the probability of finding them again is random.

I think that's the gist of it. What skills do should be fairly understandable through the descriptions you're given.

I don't know what you mean by the orbs though. The only orbs I know of are the ones in challenge mode, the ones that grant you new animals, and Guo Jia's billiard balls.

Well I start getting second thoughts about going for the PC version for 25€ vs the PS4 version for 40€, it's mainly the online and missing DLC aspect that bothers me. Could someone maybe tell me more in depth how online works? Is there only co-op or also some competitive aspect?

Tabby

Well I start getting second thoughts about going for the PC version for 25€ vs the PS4 version for 40€, it's mainly the online and missing DLC aspect that bothers me. Could someone maybe tell me more in depth how online works? Is there only co-op or also some competitive aspect?

It's pretty much only co-op as far as I know.
Dynasty Warriors Online is the only time the series has ever had players fight against each other.

The remaining DLC left unreleased:

DLC from DW8:
- Original costumes for everybody
- The six new weapons and their weapon skins
- Wallpapers

New DLC for DW8XL/CE:
- DW7 Fairy Tales Costumes
- NPC troops costumes
- The three new weapons (Stone Pillar, Deer Horn Knives and Dragon Bench)
- A couple more stage sets

That's all that's been out in Japan and it doesn't look like we're getting more for some reason or another.

It's pretty much only co-op as far as I know.
Dynasty Warriors Online is the only time the series has ever had players fight against each other.

Ah okay thanks I guess I could live with missing Co-op aslong as all the modes are the same. So it boils down to missing DLC and the different graphics engine, right?

Tabby

Ah okay thanks I guess I could live with missing Co-op aslong as all the modes are the same. So it boils down to missing DLC and the different graphics engine, right?

Pretty much.
The only difference is DLC and playing the PS3 port instead of the PS4 port, of course this means you don't have to live with the insane DOF which is always a great thing.
There is some DLC included with the PC version but it's probably nothing you care about, here is a handy list I just found on steam; personally I've never bothered with Warrior's DLCs because they tend to be way too expensive.

Pretty much.
The only difference is DLC and playing the PS3 port instead of the PS4 port, of course this means you don't have to live with the insane DOF which is always a great thing.
There is some DLC included with the PC version but it's probably nothing you care about, here is a handy list I just found on steam; personally I've never bothered with Warrior's DLCs because they tend to be way too expensive.

Alright, so far the PC version is winning the battle in my head by 60% to 40% :p I never really planned to buy the DLC either but I read some neat cross-over things did happen in the past like Fairy Tail costumes in DW7 I think? So if DW8 gets something similar I would hate to miss out. But yeah I just checked and my local shop actually raised the price to 50€ for the PS4 version today so that pretty much seals the deal for me to the PC version.

Prediction of the next hours: I will finish with my university lessons for today, Google "Dynasty Warriors 8 PC vs PS4" a few more times and then frantically buy the PC version right before the sale ends, yes I'm this indecisive when it comes to spending money on my hobbies :p

Tabby

Alright, so far the PC version is winning the battle in my head by 60% to 40% :p I never really planned to buy the DLC either but I read some neat cross-over things did happen in the past like Fairy Tail costumes in DW7 I think? So if DW8 gets something similar I would hate to miss out. But yeah I just checked and my local shop actually raised the price to 50€ for the PS4 version today so that pretty much seals the deal for me to the PC version.

Prediction of the next hours: I will finish with my university lessons for today, Google "Dynasty Warriors 8 PC vs PS4" a few more times and then frantically buy the PC version right before the sale ends, yes I'm this indecisive when it comes to spending money on my hobbies :p

The only costumes that ever appealed to me was the Strikeforce costumes.
I have no idea how much that is but I feel like PS4 games in general are expensive.

Better hurry up! Sale ends in a few hours.
The PC version is nice because you can get constant 60fps at 1080, and you can use a save editor which is nice.

The only costumes that ever appealed to me was the Strikeforce costumes.
I have no idea how much that is but I feel like PS4 games in general are expensive.

Better hurry up! Sale ends in a few hours.
The PC version is nice because you can get constant 60fps at 1080, and you can use a save editor which is nice.

Well PS4 games are generally 50-60€ here so 40€ was a good deal while it lasted but okay I made up my mind now, PC version it is. That way I can buy Asterbreed along with it and still have some gaming money for this month saved that I can use for the inevitable storm of games starting September :p

EDIT: Bought, now to wait 3 hours till the download completes.

Top Bottom