• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

so i just discovered some of my bodyguards abilities. Like "poison trap". it poisons a specific area/general and halves their hp.

VERY useful. i should experiment more with some....

I haven't really played the game yet due to the Germany game though I found a setting to enable PS4 mode on PC :D

fwxzRhI.jpg

Out of boredom before the match started I just copied my Skyrim ENB into my DW8 folder to see what happens :p

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I don't remember the last time I had too look to online guides so much for info. The in game information is near useless and the manual was too.

I guess I've been away from DW far too long.

(PC version)

shift - X 360, Square PS3
tab - Y 360, Triangle PS3
Page Up - LB 360, L1 PS3
Page Down - RB 360, R1 PS3

Handy guide if you are confused about the UI in the weapon shop

At first I was miffed about the lack of DLC, but then I realized I am not going to bother getting the weapons anymore, I never buy costumes and I haven't even played the story yet to worry about stage DLC. Empires will likely have all the new weapons, with improvements too. So rather than wait for the PS4 weapon dlc to come out, I'll just wait for Empires.

Have any of the stage DLC been really good anyways? I remember hearing that many of the Orochi DLC levels were fun and that a lot of classic DW stages were remade for 7 (wasn't all of 2 and 3's stages redone, for instance?).

Pretty much.
The only difference is DLC and playing the PS3 port instead of the PS4 port, of course this means you don't have to live with the insane DOF which is always a great thing.
There is some DLC included with the PC version but it's probably nothing you care about, here is a handy list I just found on steam; personally I've never bothered with Warrior's DLCs because they tend to be way too expensive.
One nice thing, is you get a DLC version of Red Hare for free with the PC version. I was happy that I didn't have to do that unlock grind again.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
They all want "peace", yet all they do is kill the shit out of each other.

So much for that.

Haha, yeah. The story and writing were done better in 7. 8 feels really goofy and backwards in a lot of ways there, although it does give you more to do.

JoRo

No official word. I think there was mention that the long awaited Japanese voice DLC for PS4 was coming at the end of next month, and some are hoping that also ties into the equally long awaited patches.

I've gotten used to the depth of field myself, but I really want the patch that lets you customize the attributes of star weapons. I need some velocity on my 5th and 6th weapons, man!

The remaining DLC left unreleased:

DLC from DW8:
- Original costumes for everybody
- The six new weapons and their weapon skins
- Wallpapers

New DLC for DW8XL/CE:
- DW7 Fairy Tales Costumes
- NPC troops costumes
- The three new weapons (Stone Pillar, Deer Horn Knives and Dragon Bench)
- A couple more stage sets

That's all that's been out in Japan and it doesn't look like we're getting more for some reason or another.

Appreciate the info, guys. I guess I have a few more DLC packs to wait for. And patches to wait for. I hope they surprise us and include the DOF option with the Japanese voices patch.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It seems like all the 5th and 6th weapons are Heaven affinity, right? So it's not really effective to use two of them on the same char. I'd have to build up my own one with the blacksmith?

qindarka

Banned
Regarding the Xtreme Speed achievement (PC version) which requires the player to get 100% subjugation in under 2 battles on Ambition mode, is it still possible to get it after already having completed Ambition Mode?

It seems like all the 5th and 6th weapons are Heaven affinity, right? So it's not really effective to use two of them on the same char. I'd have to build up my own one with the blacksmith?

If you're playing the PC version (not familiar with other versions), you can edit either the 5th or 6th weapon using the blacksmith and change it to another affinity.

I'm too lazy to temper and just use the 5th and 6th weapon for every character, I changed every 5th weapon to Earth affinity so it would be effective against whatever forces me to switch out from my 6th.

That's right. There's a patch on the PS3 version and the Japanese PS4 version that lets you use special weapons like that in weapon fusion, so I assume you would be able to change affinity that way, but the patch has yet to arrive on the western PS4 release or the PC release.

I believe the patch was released about a week ago on the PC.

Creaking

That's right. There's a patch on the PS3 version and the Japanese PS4 version that lets you use special weapons like that in weapon fusion, so I assume you would be able to change affinity that way, but the patch has yet to arrive on the western PS4 release or the PC release (edit: or maybe it has on PC).

It's not wholly a bad idea to use two weapons of the same affinity though. Some have attributes that increase your attack or defense if both are the same affinity, and you get the counter-boost quite often.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So what's the deal with the blacksmith's Temper and Weapon Fusion abilities? It seems like Weapon Fusion does the same thing as Temper, but better, and uses gems instead of weapon materials.

So I can use Fusion instead, and save my weapon materials to trade for facility materials to upgrade my buildings.

Unless I'm missing something here.

If you're playing the PC version (not familiar with other versions), you can edit either the 5th or 6th weapon using the blacksmith and change it to another affinity.

I'm too lazy to temper and just use the 5th and 6th weapon for every character, I changed every 5th weapon to Earth affinity so it would be effective against whatever forces me to switch out from my 6th.

That's right. There's a patch on the PS3 version and the Japanese PS4 version that lets you use special weapons like that in weapon fusion, so I assume you would be able to change affinity that way, but the patch has yet to arrive on the western PS4 release or the PC release.
Cool, thanks

Steam already has the patch to modify 5th / 6th weapons, search for weapons with specific elements (both owned and for purchase) and control DoF options. Western consoles / Vita are still waiting for it.

Fusion was added in XL to allow full customizations. You can override any element with another, change weapon affinity and strengthen weapons using Fusion. Best thing to do is use fusion to get the 6 elements you desire and then temper to level them up to 10 (since any weapon with elements will power up your existing ones when tempered rather than replace them). This helps save gems as well.

Sora_N

Got the Vita version on Monday before the sale ended. Transferring the save from vanilla was simple. I didn't finish all the story mode and hypotheticals, I think I need to do them all still for the xl trophies right?

The game plays pretty nicely on vita just a little uglier imo

Tabby

Got the Vita version on Monday before the sale ended. Transferring the save from vanilla was simple. I didn't finish all the story mode and hypotheticals, I think I need to do them all still for the xl trophies right?

I wanted to get it to be honest. I should of.
Any major FPS problems? Or should I just expect the same FPS problems I see in most Warriors games.

You don't need to do any of the vanilla game's story mode and such for the XL trophies. Well besides finishing ambition mode once so you can unlock the second one.

I assume the Online Co-op on Ps4 isn't fixed yet? Very disappointed since I bought this specifically to play co-op since me and my buddy never got to in the vanilla game due to the save wiping glitch that plagued launch. By the time they fixed that we were both way too invested to risk attempting to play in the off chance it wasn't really fixed...heh.

Sora_N

I wanted to get it to be honest. I should of.
Any major FPS problems? Or should I just expect the same FPS problems I see in most Warriors games.

I noticed a little bit of slowdown when I was destroying a group of enemies but it was more than tolerable for me.

You don't need to do any of the vanilla game's story mode and such for the XL trophies. Well besides finishing ambition mode once so you can unlock the second one.

Awesome I won't bother then so I can just do story on vanilla DW8. :)

I'm enjoying the Lu Bu mode so far

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Just copped this for PS4, first Musou game.

Really solid so far and ambition mode seems right up my alley. Damn shame you can't use the DLC themes while you're actually upgrading the camp, though. Could've wrangled another $2 off me!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ambition mode is a neat idea, but it seems rather half-assed. It's like a bastard child of DW Empires.

Why even bother having a difficulty selection if it doesn't even matter?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
While I like the idea of having two weapons ("Real time...weapon change!" hurr hurr), it's just way to easy too just have a players second weapon be some overpowered 5th or 6th weapon you found for some other character.

I'm playing story mode, and I can usually get everyone's 5th weapon when playing them for the first time by just equipping the 6th weapon flying swords, and spamming charge attack on horseback.

shaowebb

Sooooooooo...wanna know what happens if you make Jia Chong run around in circles really fast?

Turns out his pendant will start to clip into his body and clothing and it goes through some explosive deformations.

Check out this montage of my wife's late night DW8 fun.

vED6G01.jpg

WqmeHMJ.jpg

5cU0StK.jpg

nWFnYhH.jpg

c69mlnf.jpg

lRqpffi.jpg

You can rest easy now that he's here. :D

Creaking

While I like the idea of having two weapons ("Real time...weapon change!" hurr hurr), it's just way to easy too just have a players second weapon be some overpowered 5th or 6th weapon you found for some other character.

I'm playing story mode, and I can usually get everyone's 5th weapon when playing them for the first time by just equipping the 6th weapon flying swords, and spamming charge attack on horseback.

So... don't? That doesn't sound very fun.

The more I play, the less I feel enthused by the two weapons thing. While I like some of the switch attacks, and it's kind of neat to give a character a weapon that they aren't assigned to, I feel that a lot of the time I end up using the character's main weapon and only switching if I'm forced to (unless it's terrible and no fun to use Lian Shi). I feel like switching can sometimes really interrupt the flow of combat, (especially with long grapple switches like Diao Chan's, Fa Zheng's or Ma Chao's irritatingly long spin attack).

I've been playing a lot of Dynasty Warriors 4, and I don't miss not being able to switch weapons (although to be fair, that game is so different from modern DW, it's hard to make any comparisons). I guess I didn't really miss it in Warriors Orochi 3 either.

The presence of unflappable enemy officers (when they are at an advantage against your weapon and don't react to getting hit) has really started to grate on my nerves. Same goes for enemy officers who are initiating a slow-mo switch attack themselves, becoming temporarily unaffected by normal attacks. It wouldn't be so bad if it just happened occasionally, but once the AI attempts to switch once, they won't stop trying until they're defeated, even if you interrupt the attack five times.

I guess I just don't like being forced to switch weapons.

the reason is that while EX moves make every character 'unique', the sense of individuality is gone when everyone can do what everyone else can minus one flashy move.

DW is about the characters as much as the weapon they held. DW 7 and 8 were a vast improvement over the shitfest that was dw6, but the weapon mechanics are still there.

that's why i, even though some people have told me before that im crazy for it, miss the stat drops/weapon bonus/leveled items from enemies that were dependent on how long you could combo them.

1) it gave you a reason to run around the maps clearing it out instead of just bum rushing the main enemy general.

2) if forced you to get creative in some aspects in the gameplay mechanics and made every encounter different. for example, in dw3 dian wei had a tough time due to his short axe range and slow attacks and necessitated being close to a wall to keep comboes going. but it made him unique and the adversity made things interesting even if tedious. without it, it would just be a easily replaceable character or weapon switch.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So... don't? That doesn't sound very fun.
From a game design perspective, I am very much opposed to the idea that the user has to gimp him or herself in order to make the game fun and fix that particular flaw in its design.

The only time that I can think of when it's acceptable is when doing speed run challenges.

I guess I just don't like being forced to switch weapons.

I think the idea was interesting, but the implementation is not that great. If I was making the game, I'm not sure how I would incorporate a weapon switch feature that doesn't run into the same gameplay problems that I'm experiencing.

NeonZ

1) it gave you a reason to run around the maps clearing it out instead of just bum rushing the main enemy general.

To be fair, the singler player now is very scripted. You pretty much still need to run around killing everyone in some missions, but in others you get the option of going straight for the leader, and in some cases, especially for some star objectives, you need to do that to trigger optional events.

To be fair, the singler player now is very scripted. You pretty much still need to run around killing everyone in some missions, but in others you get the option of going straight for the leader, and in some cases, especially for some star objectives, you need to do that to trigger optional events.

oh no of course, i noticed that as well. if you bumrush the general in a lot of stages you get punished ingame by some story aspect (AHA! You've Been spotted and now your sneak attack has failed, and it happened to be a requirement for something else! pwnt).

but it's not an incentive, it's almost an errand. because once you unlock that requirement (in this case a hypothetical), it's done and over. you did it once. that's it. what's the point of redoing the stage and clearing everything if you already unlocked the hypothetical?

wheres with tying bonus stats to general drops, you have an incentive to replay a stage multiple times AND run through the whole map.

Sora_N

Soft reset being start and select already got me on Vita...I almost finished the stage. I wish I could turn that off. :/

Chen Gong's weapon is pretty cool though

Creaking

So I really am having a blast with this game. Is there any games I should go back and revisit? I haven't played since like 2 or 3.

Warriors Orochi 1 and 3 (2 if you really like 1, since it's more of a the same/a good thing in every sense of the word)

In many ways the epitome of classic (2-5) and new (7-8) Dynasty Warriors, with Samurai Warriors fun sprinkled in. Just know that WO3 only has Japanese voicework.

You need a PS2 or Xbox 360 for Orochi 1-2 though. Unless you fee like importing the Japan-only Orochi Z

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
that's why i, even though some people have told me before that im crazy for it, miss the stat drops/weapon bonus/leveled items from enemies that were dependent on how long you could combo them.
I actually kinda liked the mechanic too. It had its flaws too, but I liked how it made the reward for killing officers a little better/more tied to character progression.

In many ways the epitome of classic (2-5) and new (7-8) Dynasty Warriors, with Samurai Warriors fun sprinkled in.
In your view, what are the key differences between "classic" and "new" DW? The last DW I played was 4 or 5. It's been a while, and I don't think I've played DW8XL enough yet to think through the changes to the game.

In your view, what are the key differences between "classic" and "new" DW? The last DW I played was 4 or 5. It's been a while, and I don't think I've played DW8XL enough yet to think through the changes to the game.

I'd like to throw my own two cents on the subject.

"Classic" DW peaked at 5 (or WO2 if you prefer), and it was when the movesets and gameplay were the most refined coming up out of its roots in DW2. Hell, even DW6 and DW7 had arguably more cloned movesets than DW5.

"Modern" DW is definitely defined by that phrase: "1 vs 1000." Before, as mentioned earlier, you had the freedom to tackle the map any which way, but you were still pretty dependent on your army's support and morale to make things easier on you. Now, however, with the right setup, you can power through any situation by yourself without much hassle.

In short, I wish the endgame and design of modern DW felt less like I have Almighty/Tenbu strapped on and felt more restrained (self-imposed challenge aside).

self-imposed challenges should go to the moles!

bring back the "KNOCK YOUR ASS OFF THIS HORSE FOR BEING TOO LOW LEVEL" style of progression.

Warriors Orochi 1 and 3 (2 if you really like 1, since it's more of a the same/a good thing in every sense of the word)

In many ways the epitome of classic (2-5) and new (7-8) Dynasty Warriors, with Samurai Warriors fun sprinkled in. Just know that WO3 only has Japanese voicework.

You need a PS2 or Xbox 360 for Orochi 1-2 though. Unless you fee like importing the Japan-only Orochi Z

Is 5 Empires the same as 5? Just an update?

Never played the WO series but I will just wait for WO3U in September.

Returners

Empires series is more about country management, invading and protecting countries.

If you played Koei's other three kingdoms series ROTK, it's a lite version of that where you get to participate in every battle DW style.

Creaking

ma Chao gets his bonus to attack while on horseback still right?

im tearing it up with him and a basic spear on the dlc red hare

He just has a really good horseback attack, as per usual.

The Xtreme legends games are what you'd call updates (although outside of 8 Complete Edition, you have to have a copy of the basic 5 to play musou mode and whatnot). Empires, while using the core Dynasty Warriors gameplay, is a different style. It's more free-form, a bit of a war simulator in a loose sense of the word "simulator".

WO3U is a good replacement for Vanilla Orochi 3, since it's the same game, just with more stuff. However, if you do ever feel curious, Orochi 1 and 2 are vastly different (being based off the old era Dynasty Warriors movesets and gameplay), but not necessarily worse (first DW game that had free camera control, thank goodness) outside of graphics. Orochi 1 at least introduces you to the weird story. 2 introduces more mystics, but otherwise is about as filler as filler can get. I don't think it's even regarded as a proper sequel in Japan.

trying to get back into weapon fusion now.

anyone got any reccomendations for zhou tai, xiahou dun, lu bu?

allright here's what im thinking for LU BU:

Lu Bu's strength relies on his wide arc attacks, his self buff when weapon switching, and his air Musou Being hella strong AOE that clears everything. Lu bu racks up massive kill numbers really fast. so to take advantage of his musou and fodder killing stat padding;

Velocity - of course, needs fast attacks

Slash - Again, for the ohkos

AGGRESSION - More damage to his Musou at lvl 10, this guarantees officer kills and lowers the need to get musou pots. i chose this over Fury (true musou) and Uplift (gain Musou with every attack)

GALE - Attack raises the more enemies you have defeated . Again takes advantage of Lu Bu's massive peon mowing abilities

THORNS - explosions when you get hit, hits enemies back and prevents them from stun locking you in higher difficulties (changed, thx Rentahamster)

THUNDER - Again, a basic elemental. stuns enemies that would interrupt your attacks.

as for skills to equip, i would have ranged attack, musou fill up, attack up, and item drop buff.

taken from gfaqs for others here:
========================================================================================================

-Good Skills-
Cyclone - This attribute is just broken. It deals a portion of the enemy's maximum health. So no matter how strong the enemy you fight is, this will do the most damage compared to any other elemental effects. Also, to make this even more broken, it's not blockable so as long as your attack hits them, they will take damage regardless if they block or not.

Velocity - Some people might argue that it isn't needed but to me it's a must. It increases any character's kill speed since you can reach your best charge attacks the quickest.

Thorns - At level 10, anyone who hits you will be staggered back. This definitely comes in handy for Chaos since you cannot get juggled, except by musous.

Jubilation - Every time you defeat an enemy, you will get healed a certain amount of health. This is a must since it allows you to recover health from bad situations by simply defeating enemies.

Induction - Triggers lightning bolts from enemies at a very steady rate. This is also a great for crowd control since it just adds extra damage to all of your attacks when it triggers.

Explosive - Alternative to Induction but it isn't as great from my experience. It deals relatively the same amount of damage but falls a little short compared to Induction.

Morass - Slows the opponent's movement and attack speed. I don't think this is a for sure attribute to shoot for since there are plenty of characters that just don't need it. However, for slow attacking characters and the non Dash and Shadow Sprinters, this is a good attribute to have to slow down your enemies so you can juggle them or avoid getting hit easier. Also, it slows the enemies while they are airborne so slow attackers can link in more attacks.

Frost - Optional again since many characters just don't need it. I find it more useful than Morass at times but it's very random. Sometimes the freezing effect doesn't last that long and it becomes rather pointless. Other attributes can be more effective here depending on the character.

Recovery - An alternative to Jubilation, however it does not recover health when dealing damage with a musou or rage musou.

Slash - Very similar to Cyclone, however I feel that Cyclone alone will get the job done. Slash works very well in conjunction with Cyclone too since they will not be able to block your attack anyway. Also it does have a chance to kill off normal troops in one hit. I prefer to let them live so I can use them to refill my musou, rage or for means of healing while I fight off the officers.

Roar - This can be more useful than Cyclone during certain situations for certain characters. To me, I use roar in place of Slash since you recover some of your musou even when defeating enemies with your musou or rage musou. Some characters I find good use with this are Yueying, Deng Ai and Liu Bei since they all move forward with their rage musous and can rack up kills to refill their rage musou for a long time.

-Other Skills-
In my opinion, the other skills that I didn't mention above are not as useful. Some can argue Enlightenment, Uplift, Flash and Fear being good attributes but I found them hardly useful. Flash may be useful for certain characters with lots of elemental activations but that's about it. Fear didn't trigger enough to be useful to me. Enlightenment is really optional but I find it not really worth using but that's just me. Uplift isn't nearly as good as Roar since you recover no musou from it in a similar way like Recovery. Roar has been a much better option for me.

He just has a really good horseback attack, as per usual.

The Xtreme legends games are what you'd call updates (although outside of 8 Complete Edition, you have to have a copy of the basic 5 to play musou mode and whatnot). Empires, while using the core Dynasty Warriors gameplay, is a different style. It's more free-form, a bit of a war simulator in a loose sense of the word "simulator".

WO3U is a good replacement for Vanilla Orochi 3, since it's the same game, just with more stuff. However, if you do ever feel curious, Orochi 1 and 2 are vastly different (being based off the old era Dynasty Warriors movesets and gameplay), but not necessarily worse (first DW game that had free camera control, thank goodness) outside of graphics. Orochi 1 at least introduces you to the weird story. 2 introduces more mystics, but otherwise is about as filler as filler can get. I don't think it's even regarded as a proper sequel in Japan.

hmm interesting. I will check out part 2 then. Thanks!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Cyclone - This attribute is just broken. It deals a portion of the enemy's maximum health. So no matter how strong the enemy you fight is, this will do the most damage compared to any other elemental effects. Also, to make this even more broken, it's not blockable so as long as your attack hits them, they will take damage regardless if they block or not.

This was changed in XL. It only works on blocking enemies, and it doesn't break guard anymore. Still pretty ridiculous, though.

Empires series is more about country management, invading and protecting countries.

If you played Koei's other three kingdoms series ROTK, it's a lite version of that where you get to participate in every battle DW style.

Cool. I've never played any of the Empire games. Wouldn't hurt to check out this one. Maybe I will try to emulate DW5 on the PC.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Just got the first star on the first Shu hypothetical stage.

Man, getting my girl Zhu Rong unlocked is going to take forever :(

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
OK, now this game is starting to get a little less interesting. I have this problem in games where I tend to find the most OP shit you can do and abuse the hell out of it because why not.

I think I'm reaching that point in this game. The two-weapon system is partly to blame for this. Why bother using the main one when I can just switch to my flying swords horse charge attack of cyclone/slash/thunder/impulse/OHKO/can'tblockitlol/faceroll death train?

I really can't bring myself to self-gimp, either.

OK, now this game is starting to get a little less interesting. I have this problem in games where I tend to find the most OP shit you can do and abuse the hell out of it because why not.

I think I'm reaching that point in this game. The two-weapon system is partly to blame for this. Why bother using the main one when I can just switch to my flying swords horse charge attack of cyclone/slash/thunder/impulse/OHKO/can'tblockitlol/faceroll death train?

pick a character with an innately bad weapon and main them of course! you're not forced to use the OP /s

Remember when finding your character's ultimate weapon was a high point in DW games :C?

now you can pop one out in less than an hour into the game and everyone has access to it.

Uthred

Why bother using the main one when I can just switch to my flying swords horse charge attack of cyclone/slash/thunder/impulse/OHKO/can'tblockitlol/faceroll death train?

Because its negatively affecting your enjoyment with the game and you would have more fun using your main weapon?

Top Bottom