• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA had a fantastic 2013, huh?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Really, just an all around smash up job by EA and their partners this year. Let's take a quick look at all the stuff they did this year:

Dead Space 3

Dead Space 3 was released on Xbox 360 and PS3. Hot off the sequel to Dead Space 2, an award winning game that managed to cross the survival horror and action game genres into a unique blend of awesome, Dead Space 3 gets press for being riddled with small microtransactions and a shift towards action setpieces involving shooting other humans, something that the series has never done before. Despite lower reviews than the previous game, EA stated that, "While we have not announced sales for Dead Space 3, we are proud of the game and the franchise remains an important IP to EA," (EA spokesperson to Eurogamer.)

Videogamer.com then goes on to report that the franchise as a whole was canned by EA following poor sales/reception to Dead Space 3. The site asks EA for any comment, with no response. However after the article was posted, a person by the name of Peter Moore in the comments section of Games Industry has this to say:

89mV3Cx.png

Hah, those internet pranksters, right? As if Peter Moore would post in a comments section of a news story.

Oh wait, Eurogamer actually confirmed that was the real Peter Moore in the comments. Ignore requests for comments, only to make them in the comments section? The COO, of all people? That's one way to respond to press!

Simcity

Simcity was released in March, nearly ten years after the last Simcity game, and it's an absolute disaster at launch. Even if you could get past the fundimental changes of design of the game (or as one person puts it, "the most expensive Facebook game ever made"), you still wouldn't be able to play it- the Always Online DRM requirement results in a server overload that prevents thousands from logging in and playing. Cities are routinely wiped from the server, basic modes such as Cheetah speed is disabled for server issues, and the whole idea behind the game being always online (because the game has lots of routines and mathmatical calculations going on in the background that's being sent and received by EA's servers) is debunked just a few days after launch with a user modding the game to be playable offline, indefinitely.

One of the biggest issues? The extremely small city size, which EA says they'll look at along with many other suggestions for future updates. Later they'll explain that large city sizes probably won't ever happen and introduced a brand new expansion pack, "Cities of Tomorrow" with new building designs set in the future, which is exactly what everyone wanted.

Simcity for Mac was released a few months later in August. Thankfully EA has learned from the PC launch and has gone out of their way to make sure that a smooth, successful launch is ready to go for Mac users...haha just kidding, it was a mess too.

PopCap

Plants vs Zombies 2 was released on mobile in August, taking what was once a fun and challenging adventure into a free to play microtransaction mess that wins the "Most Disappointing Game" award from Pocket Tactics. Lots of strategy videos pop up for the game, mostly focusing on how to win the game without spending money.

Peggle 2 was also released in December on Xbox One, featuring less levels than the previous version, missing leaderboards and local play, as well as choppy framerates in online play. Popcap says they'll patch in those missing features for free and will get right to work on addressing the issues. Given that this was already delayed from the XB1 launch, I wonder if EA pressured PopCap to release something that wasn't quite finished in time for Christmas? Huh, that doesn't sound like EA...

Titanfall

Long known as an "exclusive" for Xbox console platforms and PC, EA cemented a deal with Microsoft to keep that deal in place forever for Titanfall, ensuring that it will never be on any other platforms. This is business stuff that any other company would have probably taken and shouldn't be counted against EA. There have been plenty of instances before, and certainly after, of companies doing this kind of thing.

What IS surprising is that the devs of Titanfall didn't even find out until pretty much everyone else.

ImINrhJ.png

That kind of great EA Communication™ is why devs are constantly flocking to be a part of the EA Partners division.

Battlefield 4

I think we all know what's going on here. One of the most bug ridden releases I've ever seen, with EA apologizing one month after release. A week or so later, they state that no work is being done on DLC until the game is fixed. By the way, this statement was made about 35 days after launch. Still no end in sight. Microsoft has even issued refunds to Battlefield Premium members asking for one.

Hey that reminds me, who's excited for Star Wars: Battlefront?

NBA Live 2014

The second EA apology this year, reviewed poorly including a scathing one star review by Giantbomb. Hey, they have no where to go but up!

Other Notable Releases this Year

FUZE, Crysis 3, Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel, and over 60 mobile releases. None of those 60+ releases on mobile include a fix for Simcity for iPad, which has a water table bug that prevents users from building big cities, and has gone unfixed for years now.

Great job on 2013 EA, I can't wait to see what 2014, and this brand new generation, has in store for us!

Mondy

Banned
They're a rabble, at the moment. The only real positive they can fall back on this year is snagging the rights to Star Wars.

reKon

Banned
Their support for games on Android is atrocious. I'm not talking about older devices etiher. I mean flagship devices like the S4, HTC One, and Nexus phones/tablets. At the very least get that right. Instead they move on to focus on other games like PvZ 2, which is drowned in microtransactions.

There was a short period during the last gen where it seemed like EA was actually trying to be a decent company. They released some interesting titles like Dead Space and Mirror's Edge, and in general seemed to be heading in the right direction. But now they're back to their old ways, except arguably much worse. It's a huge shame, since they were actually producing some interesting new series during that short window of time.

Griss

Absolutely disgusting showing from EA this year.

Fifa 14 was one of the few bright spots, it's pretty good. And Titanfall will be huge, you can already tell.

Battlefield 4 just makes me laugh now. It's such a mess.

I have a brother that loved 3 and then bought 4 at launch broken as hell. They sent him right back to Call of Duty.

KarmaCow

Was Real Racing 3 done by EA or just simply published? That also seemed to be pretty shitty with its death by a thousand cuts style freemium model.

Kspraydad

Banned
Hey Peter...come comment on GAF.

Your comments reveal you to be small minded...the correct answer for fans and investors is that you'll ramp up quality control and build great games. Slamming a website over micro transactions is rich coming from your chair.

Derrick01

Banned
The Sim City debacle feels like it happened 2 years ago, damn.

EA better thank MS forever for all the shit they did this year because otherwise EA would be walking home with a 3rd straight title.

smr00

Banned
Worst Company in America
First world gamer problems.

I still can't believe EA won worst company in america what? 2 years running? Shows just how out of touch, disconnected and how little "gamers" care about real life problems. These problems don't even outweigh sweat shops that some american companies use but hey.. Not our problem, right? Fuck those guys, i want to play my video game!

I have never been pissed at a game as much as I am at BF4. Game worked fine for me at launch. Last two weeks I have been completely unable to play. Constant "client closed down server" errors. Beyond fucking ridiculous that I have a completely unplayable game.

bill0527

Worst Company in America

Absolutely. They steal unsuspecting peoples money and deliver shitty products.

As unbelievable as it sounds, they somehow found a way to be worse this year than last year.

They'll win next years award easily and there won't be a close second.

MormaPope

Banned
Meanwhile Ubisoft actually had a really decent year, on a critical level at least. Splinter Cell Blacklist is a much better game and Splinter Cell compared to Conviction, Rayman Legends is a fantastic sequel to Origins, and Assassins Creed 4 was a return to form.

Yawnier

Banned
There was a short period during the last gen where it seemed like EA was actually trying to be a decent company. They released some interesting titles like Dead Space and Mirror's Edge, and in general seemed to be heading in the right direction. But now they're back to their old ways, except arguably much worse. It's a huge shame, since they were actually producing some interesting new series during that short window of time.

There's no doubt they published some great games this generation (the two you mentioned, Burnout Paradise, Skate), but some of their recent business practices are just so shitty and anti-consumer such as with the always online DRM in Sim City and microtransactions in multiple of their games. They are a very difficult company to like and support I find and seem to have been heading on this path after 2008 - 2009.

I have never been pissed at a game as much as I am at BF4. Game worked fine for me at launch. Last two weeks I have been completely unable to play. Constant "client closed down server" errors. Beyond fucking ridiculous that I have a completely unplayable game.

Huge screwup on their part. I was ready to switch over to BF4 after general fatigue with COD (and how mediocre Ghosts is), but now I'm pretty reluctant. Would love to pick it up sometime in the near future but I have no idea when the issues will be sorted out.

Absolutely disgusting showing from EA this year.

Fifa 14 was one of the few bright spots, it's pretty good.

I dunno, FIFA was behind a bunch of hacks, and the next gen version was basically old gen with a little bit of extra sparkle. I think you could easily toss that on the pile.

Did people at EA actually play bf4? The SP campaign doesn't work for me any more because it just keeps resetting my save game no matter how far I go.

ciridesu

They have had an amazing number of bombs this year, even recently NFS Rivals to much extent

What goes around comes around.

MormaPope

Banned
First world gamer problems.

I still can't believe EA won worst company in america what? 2 years running? Shows just how out of touch, disconnected and how little "gamers" care about real life problems. These problems don't even outweigh sweat shops that some american companies use but hey.. Not our problem, right? Fuck those guys, i want to play my video game!

Yes, because one internet poll reflects all the truth and dishonesty for everyone in the United States.

Hiltz

chubigans, when you put EA's mess into perspective like that, its no wonder they deserve to be one of the most criticized publishers in the business.

Nabs

Meanwhile Ubisoft actually had a really decent year, on a critical level at least. Splinter Cell Blacklist is a much better game and Splinter Cell compared to Conviction, Rayman Legends is a fantastic sequel to Origins, and Assassins Creed 4 was a return to form.

Gunslinger and Blood Dragon were excellent games at a great price.

Sorc3r3r

I'm enjoying need for speed rivals. XD

I think that i've already written that EA with Fifa and Madden has a big safety net between them and the hard cold floor that other companies would have hit doing what EA is doing these years.
Good for them i guess.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Origin should also be mentioned along with all this. It really is that bad. I honestly don't even feel like I own Crysis3.

Roshin

They ran two of my favorite games (Dead Space and PvZ) face first into the ground and it's unlikely that any of them will recover.

Worst company ever.

Chobel

You don't even need to put all these games in the OP. BF4 is more than enough to tell you how fantastic EA are.

Top Bottom