• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA officially likes all other handhelds better than PSP

Mrbob

KOHLER STRIKES AGAIN.

Originally developed by MDM, under license from Electronic Arts, for Palm OS handhelds, the Zodiac version of the game will be specially tweaked for the Tapwave Zodiac. Specifically, the game will fill the system's wide LCD screen with 480x320 widescreen "landscape" display, and it will feature analog control, stereo sound, and vibration effects.

Well, at least it should look better and will play better than the DS version.

Any screens?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
This is also a good time to take notice of my dashing new tag that will henceforth prevent me from ever participating in an objective conversation here again.

kaching: Halo 2 is an incredible game

GAFfer: Whatever, Sony spinboy. You ain't tricking me that easily. Halo 2 sucks!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Zodiac? No chance that will look better than DS. Zodiac has some crappy 2D graphics chip and uses software rendering. DS is better than that.

This is also a good time to take notice of my dashing new tag that will henceforth prevent me from ever participating in an objective conversation here again.
Yours is at least slightly funny. Mine is just... there.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
kaching said:

GAFfer: Whatever, Sony spinboy. You ain't tricking me that easily. Halo 2 sucks!
I just noticed too that your "tagged by a black person" is gone....

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
kaching said:

Though you hate me I still and will always treat your opinion respectfully. Don't sweat it, you have it better off than the poor sods who have "complete idiot" and other nonsense.

Edit: Nevermind

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Never cross a bitter PSX owner's path. That is all.

No screens yet, Bob.

Edit: I don't hate you Tekuno and I don't care about the tag. Its GAF - its all part of the charm.

WarPig

This doesn't really have anything to do with EA's preference in hardware. The deal goes like so:

MDM: "We want to license Madden for the Tapwave. We'll give you some money and do all the work ourselves."

EA: "Uh, sure, fine with us."

DFS.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
MIYAMOTO HATES ME AND ONLY ME.

Remember that guys, when the time comes and someone has to kill the man the duty falls squarly on my shoulders. It's a sad fate but I do it for great justice.

belgurdo

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
Though you hate me I still and will always treat your opinion respectfully. Don't sweat it, you have it better off than the poor sods who have "complete idiot" and other nonsense.

And hell, it's better than my tag...at least you don't have to stick "imo" in your posts or make 300 clarifying posts to keep every tard on the board from quoting your tag

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
widscreen?
zodiac-wall.gif

Zodiac has kinda wide screen (wider than 4:3), but I don't think it's 16:9

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Zodiac is certainly a nicely designed piece of kit, IMO. Slim, feels very sturdy and solid, and the controls are well placed. Here's to hoping that developers just discovering the potential of touchscreen gaming thanks to DS will throw it a bone or two since they're a close match in most respects

Agent X

This is definitely good news for Zodiac fans. The Zodiac is a really nice piece of machinery, and I hope that they start getting more high-profile (and high-quality) games for it soon.

kaching said:
Depends on which Palm you're talking about. 480x320 is found on a few Palm models now.
Oh. Well, in any case, this new version is optimized for the Zodiac, and that's one of the ways. Pretty cut and dry.

Mrbob said:
Well, at least it should look better and will play better than the DS version.

Any screens?

No way it will look better than the DS version, IMO. Software 3D in Tapwave has been very HIDEO thus far. Not going to compete with even the DS Madden, which surprisingly looked good to me.

Expect even blockier players and slower frame rate if done in 3D. Fairly high chance of it being 2D.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Never cross a bitter PSX owner's path. That is all."

:) I had nothing to do with your tag! :)

snapty00

Banned
Yeah, it'll probably look like poo if it's 3D.

The resolution does rock, though. That's approximately what the DS should've been.

Games on these crappy handhelds like Zodiac and N-Gage remind me of Shockwave-quality games I can play for free on the internet. With their ugly, quasi-3D visuals and 4 FPS framerates. Also, the man-hours spent developing the games are probably about the same.

Oh. I can go along with that. :D

The Tapwave version probably will have like a 3~4 man team making it, and will be 2D. that's why it's no big deal for EA to do a Tapwave version, while they fucking acted like little bitches about possiblity of doing a DC version, siting BS like "we would have supported DC if it had 3DFX in it".

Agent X

Alex Anderson said:
Games on these crappy handhelds like Zodiac and N-Gage remind me of Shockwave-quality games I can play for free on the internet. With their ugly, quasi-3D visuals and 4 FPS framerates. Also, the man-hours spent developing the games are probably about the same.

You've never actually played a Zodiac, right?

Stunt Car Extreme and Spy Hunter have better 3D than many PlayStation or Nintendo 64 games. They're good games as far as gameplay is concerned, too.

Agent X said:
You've never actually played a Zodiac, right?

Stunt Car Extreme and Spy Hunter have better 3D than many PlayStation or Nintendo 64 games. They're good games as far as gameplay is concerned, too.

Dude, I can understand your sentiment, but I really don't think any of the Tapwave games (including the two you've mentioned) has better 3D than PSX and N64. Granted, I didn't play either games in extended sessions, but the little I was exposed to wasn't bettering either systems.

Nope, I haven't. I shouldn't have made a blanket statement like that (grouping it with N-Gage) without researching the Zodiac. I looked at some screens of games, and some of them look pretty nice. Thanks for setting me straight.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'm guessing that if they confined the 3d rendering to a 256x192 pixel area like the DS, the Zodiac hardware would be more capable of matching DS 3d visuals.

DCharlie said:
I had nothing to do with your tag!
Hey, we both got tags out of it - it was a productive thread ;)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Hey, we both got tags out of it - it was a productive thread ;)"

He he - damn straight! It was a good thread, i thought, all in all - apart from my final outbursts! good stuff all round.

wtf? N-Gage is probably on the same level with DS (or very close atleast) in 3d performance. Check out Ghost Recon or Asphalt GT on N-Gage if you dont believe me.

snapty00

Banned
The DS blows away the N-Gage as far as 3D graphics are concerned. The DS has a real, built-in 3D graphics set that -- as crappy as it is -- does accomplish some things in hardware.

That's not really saying much, though. It's sort of like comparing a good shit to a bad shit. If you want 3D portable games that actually don't look like total poo, you'll need a PSP.

snapty00 said:
The DS blows away the N-Gage as far as 3D graphics are concerned. The DS has a real, built-in 3D graphics set that -- as crappy as it is -- does accomplish some things in hardware.
True, N-gage doesnt have dedicated GPU but its 104Mhz CPU evens out the situation quite alot.

Project Midway said:
True, N-gage doesnt have dedicated GPU but its 104Mhz CPU evens out the situation quite alot.

Fuck no. The 104Mhz ARM9 positively struggles for passable 3D.

The GP32's ARM9 CPU, which is known to be clocked to 133Mhz stably don't really cut it either, and even a 200Mhz ARM9 CPU in the Zodiac pails to the DS as well in doing 3D.

Bottom line, you have to clock really high (Pentium 3 speeds) to pull off "decent" 3D rendering in software.

jarrod

Banned
Holy crap, that's a lot of Madden SKUs...

01 PlayStation 2
02 PlayStation 2 (Collector's Edition)
03 Xbox
04 GameCube
05 PlayStation One
06 PC/Windows
07 Game Boy Advance
08 Nintendo DS
09 N-Gage
10 Zodiac

...anything else?

Shogmaster said:
Fuck no. The 104Mhz ARM9 positively struggles for passable 3D.
Well, I guess its debatable whats passable. Ghost Recon on N-Gage looks good with consistent framerate at maybe around 20fps. Sure its not 60fps but its smooth enough for me to be able to enjoy the game on that tiny screen.

Good coders can do "wonders" with 104Mhz CPU.

Project Midway said:
Well, I guess its debatable whats passable. Ghost Recon on N-Gage looks good with consistent framerate at maybe around 20fps. Sure its not 60fps but its smooth enough for me to be able to enjoy the game on that tiny screen.

Good coders can do "wonders" with 104Mhz CPU.

I went to IGN and searched out GR for nGage. Color me impressed! It's definitely passable. However, I never said nGage is not capable of passable 3D. I said nGage's CPU "struggles" for passable 3D, and if GR's engine is doing 15~20FPS, that's struggling in my book.

Shogmaster said:
I went to IGN and searched out GR for nGage. Color me impressed! It's definitely passable. However, I never said nGage is not capable of passable 3D. I said nGage's CPU "struggles" for passable 3D, and if GR's engine is doing 15~20FPS, that's struggling in my book.
heh yeah, its struggling sure if we think that way. :) But its still playable and looks good enough, not to mention it has 8-player wireless death match mode. Colin McRae 2005, Tony Hawk and Asphalt GT are other 3D games on N-gage with "good" 3D.

Project Midway said:
heh yeah, its struggling sure if we think that way. :) But its still playable and looks good enough, not to mention it has 8-player wireless death match mode. Colin McRae 2005, Tony Hawk and Asphalt GT are other 3D games on N-gage with "good" 3D.

You should have quit while you're ahead. ;) CM and AGT are screen shots only, and Tony Hawk looks like shit. :p

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jarrod said:
...anything else?
Just about everything but the PSP...Nope I think you covered them all ;)

...unless there's maybe also a generic "mobile" SKU out there. And apparently there are standard Palm OS and Windows Mobile versions being prepared.

Project Midway said:
heh. Gimme a sec, I try to find some movies and post them here. =)

edit: CMR2005 video

I guess CM is approaching passable. Sub Sega Rally for Saturn tho, smaller res and all. And the frame rate looks pretty low. Playable? Sure. Passable. Yeah. Struggling? Definitely.

Top Bottom