• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA your servers BLOW!!

impirius

Is PS2 online having the same problems? I'm gonna pick this up tomorrow and online is the deal-maker for me, so if Live is having problems, I might just pick up the PS2 one instead...

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
impirius said:
Is PS2 online having the same problems? I'm gonna pick this up tomorrow and online is the deal-maker for me, so if Live is having problems, I might just pick up the PS2 one instead...

Well, I haven't had any problems and I have been playing off and on all day. I did have some issues between crash games though. But never got booted, just had to wait for other players.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
What do EA's servers have to do with you getting booted from a peer to peer game session?

BeOnEdge

Banned
the substandard LIVE options are pissing me off. EAs online methods are quite assy. fuck i'll be changing game options and if a fucker enters the room it kicks you back into the room.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I played Burnout 3 on Xbox Live for 2 hours yesterday. Got one complete crash (black screen), got disconnected 4 times, had a lot of problems with hearing everyone in the game.
Even during the Xbox Live beta test more than 2 years ago I did not get that many trouble, not even mentioning the fact that the interface of these half finished game was better than this hybrid monstruosity criterion created.

But... I couldn't stop playing, when it's actually working this game is incredibly great on Live.

Shompola

Banned
I never had problems with LiVE ONCE until I installed version 3.0 of LiVE. Even then the problems weren't huge but I have gotten a few dissconnections here and there in various games. Haven't tried any EA game on LiVE though.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
So much fun, yet so much frustration. Mic problems almost everyother game, constant disconnects, total crashes twice....

I hate EA.

pilonv1

Good to see I'm not the only one who experienced this!

Yeah, Acclaim's online servers would have been much better.

There's no need for servers with Xbox Live, it should have been peer to peer. Even budget games like Carve (which completely rocks on XBL) have better online code than BO3.

Drexon

Banned
That does it, I'm not buying this game. There's nothing quite so frustrating (and I have a short temper concernig these kinda things) as getting disconnected and basically just getting ass-raped by bad programming.

you are complaining about online problems ON DAY 1?! give it a week. this is a lot better than the NCAA 2005 launch. it was literally unplayable for a week, then it was like a rock with perfect online performance. madden has been the exception, with little to no online problems from the beginning.

relax ladies, EA is going to straighten this stuff out. i want to know what major online games you fuckers are buying and being satisfied with on day 1 online, cause i have yet to play a game that fit that description (PS2, Xbox or otherwise)

Matlock

Banned
Mike Works said:
Yeah, Acclaim's online servers would have been much better.

Acclaim's kept a 1-800 line up and running well for 11 years, certainly they could handle a server for a couple of weeks.

pilonv1

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i want to know what major online games you fuckers are buying and being satisfied with on day 1 online, cause i have yet to play a game that fit that description (PS2, Xbox or otherwise)

PGR2, Rainbow 6, Carve :D

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i want to know what major online games you fuckers are buying and being satisfied with on day 1 online, cause i have yet to play a game that fit that description (PS2, Xbox or otherwise)
This question will lead to many lists...
PSO
PSO Ep I&2
Maddens
NFL2k1
BF1942
FFXI
AFO
UT2k4
Amplitude
To start off :p

no all those games were not without flaws the first few weeks. can't comment on the PC games since my PC can't run any new games (so i can't play them), but i know for a fact that early dreamcast onine games (nfl 2k1, PSO, etc) gave me the lots of problems early

Blimblim

The Inside Track
FrenchMovieTheme said:
you are complaining about online problems ON DAY 1?! give it a week. this is a lot better than the NCAA 2005 launch. it was literally unplayable for a week, then it was like a rock with perfect online performance. madden has been the exception, with little to no online problems from the beginning.

relax ladies, EA is going to straighten this stuff out. i want to know what major online games you fuckers are buying and being satisfied with on day 1 online, cause i have yet to play a game that fit that description (PS2, Xbox or otherwise)
Well as far as I can tell these are problems in the actual game code, not with the servers themselves. When you do not hear everyone's voice, or when you are kicked out of an already running game (hence no more communication with the main server) it's usually a flaw in the game requiring a patch. Patch I doubt (please please EA prove me wrong) we'll ever see.
As for day one (actually day minus quite a few days since I get games early for reviews) all true Xbox Live games could be qualified as being perfect since day one. PGR2 for example, crimson skies, rallisport 2 (some bad design on the voice support, but it worked), moto gp, you name it.

Justin

Anyone have problems hearing people over live. Every round some people can hear everyone but no one can hear them. It switches every round.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Justin said:
Anyone have problems hearing people over live. Every round some people can hear everyone but no one can hear them. It switches every round.
Something like that yes, or some people can speak to some, and only hear others. And it changes each round. Very weird.

BeOnEdge

Banned
it froze on me just now and it turns out that autosave shit saves whenever it wants. i lost half my fucking progress even though it says it was "saving" like 10 times before it froze.

shuri

Banned
Havent got a problem in the few hours I played last night, except for a few "cannot update ranking" errors

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I'm curious to know if the people complaining here about problems with BO3 online played MCII online... that game had similar problems with how online setup worked AND with mics going out....

Prine

Banned
P90 said:
But online is teh best thing evar!

When its done right like all of Microsofts XBL games (and their miracle netcode), then yeah. its awesome.

PGR2, Rallispot Chellenge 2, Crimson Skies, Return to Castle Wolfenstiene, Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorow work absolutly fine (the only online games i own)

shuri

Banned
Some basic networking --

EA isnt hosting the game, but whoever is hosting is; so if youre getting disconnections, blame your isp and its shitting routing ;)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
shuri said:
Some basic networking --

EA isnt hosting the game, but whoever is hosting is; so if youre getting disconnections, blame your isp and its shitting routing ;)
Of course the fact that I was playing with the people I play with ALL THE TIME and never had any trouble before does not count as a proof that the game netcode has a problem somewhere. Of course not, it's just a coincidence.
The servers are not the problem there, the game is. And it's much more difficult to fix than just restarting a new fixed version of the servers (who also have their share of problems too)

DarienA

Blimblim said:
Of course the fact that I was playing with the people I play with ALL THE TIME and never had any trouble before does not count as a proof that the game netcode has a problem somewhere. Of course not, it's just a coincidence.

....you do realize that your internet connection to even people you play with regularly isn't always guarantee to route the exact same way? ...and that you're susceptible to any problems along that path?

People seem to forget the internet isn't some set in stone concrete highway connection.

This isn't to say that the problem isn't the netcode...it might be... but that's not the only variable in this.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
DarienA said:
....you do realize that your internet connection to even people you play with regularly isn't always guarantee to route the exact same way? ...and that you're susceptible to any problems along that path?

People seem to forget the internet isn't some set in stone concrete highway connection.

This isn't to say that the problem isn't the netcode...it might be... but that's not the only variable in this.
I actually ran some traceroute to all the people playing even did a tcpdump on my linux NAT to check if the problem were not on my side. Everything was absolutely fine, no packet loss, perfect routing.

DarienA

Blimblim said:
I actually ran some traceroute to all the people playing even did a tcpdump on my linux NAT to check if the problem were not on my side. Everything was absolutely fine, no packet loss, perfect routing.

..well there ya go then... thank god I don't play anything online anymore. ;)

I will say this: if any of you experiencing these problems have used XBConnect or some other non-Live service with your Xbox/router in the past, you may need to reset to your router's default settings. After XBL 3.0 I had massive problems with constant drops from the service until I went in and eliminatd my XBConnect settings (from my failed attempts at getting Halo 1 to work online).

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
This is what happens when a live game runs without that MotoGP online code MS farms out to everyone (except criterion apparently)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Prine said:
When its done right like all of Microsofts XBL games (and their miracle netcode), then yeah. its awesome.

PGR2, Rallispot Chellenge 2, Crimson Skies, Return to Castle Wolfenstiene, Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorow work absolutly fine (the only online games i own)
I can only speak for for Crimson Skies and ROTC since those are the games in that list that I own, but I wouldn't call their online performance any better than anything else I've played online. I've had dropped connections plenty of times with either of those games.

blimblim said:
during or after the game sessions?

Ramirez

Only problem I had was it would tell me "Can't communicate with these players" or something then it would just boot me back to the room list.No big deal to me...the game is way to fun to be complaining about a few minor online issues that will probably be ironed out by the end of the week.

Top Bottom