• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early Access: Darkest Dungeon |OT| Death Is The Only Promise

There's some pretty good playthrough's on Youtube right now and they're downright addicting (and at times, infuriating :p) to watch.

Great game and it looks like it has the Final Fantasy Tactics type difficulty that doesn't let up either in terms of challenge.

I found the game interesting to watch before I started playing it myself. Now that I've completed the game with a team of fully upgraded max level dudes decked out in legendary gear... watching someone struggle on stream is more frustrating than anything else.

I look forward to starting all over again though when teh game is released :) Until then, I think it's best not to touch it. I don't want to burn myself out too early.

Haunted

It's a fun game to watch but it can be frustrating to play. There's a lot of random factors in the game. Dodges and crits can absolutely destroy runs with the player feeling like they didn't have much agency or influence.

I think there's a great game in here, and it shows real promise, but I think they still have a lot of balancing to do before it can fulfil its potential.

I've played hundreds of RPGs and this game has some of the weakest and most useless buffs/debuffs in gaming history. :D

Begaria

I've played hundreds of RPGs and this game has some of the weakest and most useless buffs/debuffs in gaming history. :D

I to have played hundreds of RPGs and I completely disagree with you. This game's buffs and debuffs play a crucial role in battle. You'll love the Vestal's Dodge debuff in later stages, stuns are amazing, bleeding and plague dots are fantastic ways to up your DPS, and the Jester's party buff is almost game breaking at its highest rank (haste + accuracy + critical? FUCK. YES!). Oh, and the best part?

Everything stacks.

Haunted

Maybe I haven't played enough, but when I see that my Highwayman's self-buff (Take Aim) is like +5 ACC and +5% CRT... that's just pure shit. How could that possibly be worth it compared to doing damage or killing off an opponent.

And yeah, I'm more talking about the self-buffs and -ACC debuffs for opponents. Status effects like Stun/Bleed/Blight are great.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
You should play with a jester before saying that.

Also I like not having a huge amount of agency. Its more about mitigating risk than have a well planned strategy.

Begaria

Maybe I haven't played enough, but when I see that my Highwayman's self-buff (Take Aim) is like +5 ACC and +5% CRT... that's just pure shit. How could that possibly be worth it compared to doing damage or killing off an opponent.

And yeah, I'm more talking about the self-buffs and -ACC debuffs for opponents. Status effects like Stun/Bleed/Blight are great.

Ah, so it's just you not understanding the full scope of the mechanics, perhaps, especially about +crit. Allow me to explain a few things, using the highwayman as an example:

1. First off, I'll admit that buffs and debuffs start off on the weak side, but so does everything else in terms of Rank 0 skills. Everything has a low Accuracy, low healing, low buff/debuff rates. Get a few ranks into those skills and they suddenly become game changing.

2.. Take Aim grows in power as you rank it up - at Rank 4 (what my one and only Highwayman is sitting at right now for the skill) it does +7 Acc and +8 Crit%, now you may look at that and say, "it's pure shit", but when you use that in conjunction with the Jester (at a similar Rank of +4 for Battle Ballad) which will do +3 speed, +6 Acc, +5 crit, suddenly your Highwayman (in a single round) has +13 Acc, +14 crit%, and +3 speed. Throw down another layer (since everything stacks) of Battle Ballad, and that's now +19 Acc, +20% crit, and +6 speed on the second round.

20% crit in two rounds (without a second application of Take Aim).

"Pure shit". Mmhmm.

3.. As your light burns low, your chance to loot increases but so does your chance to critically hit, so couple that with the already high increase in critical hit at Rank 4, and any additional +critical hit chance trinkets you find, suddenly you've got a fairly high critical hit chance.

4. Dishing out a critical hit will reduce stress on your party (vice versa, receiving crits increases stress), so a higher crit chance = higher chance of reducing stress.

5. Higher accuracy + higher crit rate = reduce monsters to nothing really quickly. I've had battles last an additional round, sometimes max two after just a single round of buffs.

You really want to see what a badass damage dealer can do with buffs? Get a Hellion in your party, teach her Adrenaline Rush (+dmg%, +accuracy, cure bleed/poison), buff the shit out of her with the Jester's Battle Ballad, and find her Hell's Hairpin (+15% dmg, +5% crit). Get a Vestal to reduce enemy dodge with Illumination (starts at -20 dodge, goes to -30 dodge), and watch as your Hellion never misses and crits a 1/3 of the time.

Low light, high ranked skill runs are the fucking best!

And remember, everything stacks. EVERYTHING = DoTs, buffs, AND debuffs.

Ronnie

Banned
I've been watching (and loving) the IGN Let's Plays of this, and I'm sold on the game. My question is should I wait for release (any clues as to when that is?) or just play the game now on Early Access? Will progress carry over to the final build when it does launch?

Szadek

Killed 5 bosses so far.I think I'm doing pretty well.
I will probably stop playing after I defated the Hag and wait for more cotent to come out.

Btw,has any else too many high level healer and too few tanks?
My meele guys are usually the first ones to die.
Guess it's time for a meele Vetsal.

Draft

Sacced a pretty nice leper, occultist, and barbarian lady to the swine prince. Left him alive with 4 hit points. Vestal was the only one alive and of course not a single attack she can use in the forward position. Damn!

Labadal

Latest update was for backers only.

Hey everyone, Here's the latest from us here at Red Hook!
Early Next Week: The Roster Patch!

• Color Variations: All heroes have 4 different color palettes available for you to choose from!
  • Roster Sorting: Sort by stress, resolve level, class, and building.
  • Party Combo Names 1.0: Certain party combos will be named! When assembling your group, watch for the popup and see if you've uncovered a named combo. We're starting with only a few, but more combo names will be added as we continue development. IN FACT, YOU BACKERS CAN HELP! Check out this tasty link and let us know your favourite crew and what you like to call 'em! https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JTC8GC9to

Content Drop:

We know that many of you are chomping at the bit for more content, and while we want to get as much new stuff out as quickly as we can, we also want to make sure that what we release is of a quality level consistent with the rest of the game. We have targeted the end of May for our first major content update, and it's a big one!

• New Hero: The Man-at-Arms - a battle hardened commander with mace, shield, and rallying shouts!
  • New Hero: The Arbalest - a field medic and artillery emplacement wrapped up in plate armor!
  • 2 - 3 new Bosses! We are aiming to get one new boss in each of the existing dungeons.
  • Fear the Dark: New rewards for the brave and the foolhardy alike can be found only in the dark during Medium and Long quests. Tread carefully, however, as such rare and powerful trinkets are not left unguarded... As we focus our content efforts on this patch, you can expected misc. quality of life improvements, bug fixes, balance, tuning, etc to arrive in the intervening weeks.

As always, we want to thank you for your enthusiasm and support!

Chris, Tyler, Keir, Brooks & Pierre

jrDev

So I just got my early access code and I'm loving the game. The only problem I have is backtracking and how it is pretty tedious especially because nothing happens. I wish we could just quick jump to the already visited way or able to dash through it. It wanes on my enjoyment when I decide to go to other routes but have to walk back through 4 empty ways.

Sarcasm

Wonder what the 49 backer class is...anybody know? Pretty big update today:

Build Update Now #8881 (PC and Mac)
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light." --Dylan Thomas

HOTFIXES Added today (May 28)
Potential fix to battle stall crash
Fixed crash when loading quest types that don't exist; fixed crash when generating dungeon/region level 7 quests
Fixed bug where some curio-item interactions were not triggering
Fixed brigand cannon crash fix
Fixed bug that was causing stall penalty stress to happen in wrong situations
Fixed crash and bugs related to trinkets, trinket selling, trinket sorting
Slightly reduced self stress from getting knocked to Death's Door
Fixed Ancestor's Statue crash

New Features
New Hero Class! Man-At-Arms
New Hero Class! Arbalest
New Ruins Boss! Gibbering Prophet
New Warens Boss! Formless Flesh
New Weald Boss! Brigand Cannon
New Loot: The Ancestor’s Trinket set. Ultra-rare items once held by the Ancestor himself - be warned, some of these trinkets are only found in the pitch dark!
New Building! Ancestor's Statue: Click the statue to open the Ancestor's Memoirs - a record of all cutscenes and boss backstories!
Heart Attacks! Don’t let your heroes get too stressed. If your stress bar fills again past affliction...it’s over.
Sell your junk! In the Trinket Inventory, hold shift to see sell back value, shift+click to sell trinkets
Crit-heals! Heal, critically!
Tons of Party Names as created by Kickstarter and Humble backers!

UI Improvements
Hamlet
Added z-depth to the Hamlet, improved building menu interaction, revised all times of day
Graveyard: Added a background and new Caretaker pose; Tombstones change to reflect resolve level at time of death, UI improvements, scrollbar
Activity Log: UI improvements for easier 'at a glance' parsing of the activity log, scrollbars
Trinket inventory now supports sorting by class restriction and rarity, and a scrollbar
“Unequip all Trinkets” button for quick Trinket wiping
Updated art on remaining incomplete trinkets
Quest Select: Approved party names from player survey
Updated roster sorting buttons' colors to reduce visual noise
Class sort now sorts by preferred position
Dungeon
Added hotkey ( c ) to bring up/dismiss character panel
Manual torch snuffing for more control of lighting level (mouse over torch for instructions)
HP bar animation when healing for greater visual feedback
Additional map controls and logic (-/= or -/+ on numpad to control map zoom)
Map now follows the party, remembers its zoom setting after scouting
Misc
Clarified presentation of PROT (protection) in some places. PROT starts as a % which gets multiplied by the hero or monster’s Max HP. This gives a damage mitigation (armor points) number. For example, 20% PROT x 30 HP = 6 Protection pts. Each hit that lands will have 6 points absorbed before any damage gets through. Additional future work expected.
“Marked” no longer referred to as “tagged” in some tooltips
Improved various menus and icons in the game
New / unique trinket art for trinkets with missing art

Gameplay / Balancing Improvements
Darkness is now more deadly: reduced player crit bonus in low light, slightly increased chance of players being surprised in low light, increased stress damage in low light, slightly increased monster dmg in zero light, slightly reduced gold bonus in low light
Adjusted Dungeon / Region leveling to fit new boss plot quests
Max upgraded Roster size increased - this may be temporary!
Trinkets: Tuning of Trinket award rates and rarities
Trinkets: Balancing/redesign pass on many Trinkets
I’m stuffed! Limit added to Food consumption to reduce over-eating exploit
Plague Doctor: increased Blight Resistance
Bounty Hunter - Hook and Slice is now reworked as a rank 3 / 4 targeting bleed attack
Bounty Hunter - Slight nerf to Finish Him damage bonuses on the Stun Killer effect
Leper - Revenge removed ACC penalty and slightly reduced CRIT bonuses
Leper - Intimidate: reworked the skill to be a strong debuff skill with some damage, affects ranks 1/2 together
Reduced Crit-heal percentage
Reduced companion stress from Death’s Door
Slightly reduced average crit damage from monsters
All L3/L5 monsters have slightly increased HP which may make for slightly longer fights / increased value of buffs and debuffs.
Many size 2 monsters have more HP (Carrion Eater, Swinetaur, Unclean Giant)
Crone: now harder to hit, increased Crone’s Curse debuff and added extra target possibilities to her debuff attacks
Swinetaur can now do running attacks from ranks 2+ instead of 3+. Ole!
Monster Brains - improvements to default brains to make somewhat more deadly as monsters level up
Monster Brains - more monsters have their own brains (much more to come)
Original bosses (Necromancer, Hag, Swine Prince) now have nastier behaviors as they level up
“Heal Received” buff now on certain Skills and Trinkets
And probably a few secret things...

General Bug Fixes
Activity Log entry cutoff issue
Activity Log names update when heroes are renamed
Torch disabled during ambushes with tooltip explanation
Health bar showing up on second quest bug
Profile reposition bug on Main Menu
Raid Results UI layout fixes
Non check-marked room bug
Miscellaneous string edits
Fixed AOE “+” positioning
Fixed Plague Doctor camping pose
Non-loading screen narration interrupting loading screen bug
Swine Prince targeting fix
Battle camera bug, getting stuck at the end of a round
Removed background barks on Provisions screen
Blood splatter no longer appears on misses and dodges
Crash fix when death and Affliction check occur simultaneously by trap
Narration queuing fixes
Traps not appearing when spawned in a corridor previously visited
Prevent surprises from occurring in tiles previously scouted or visited
And more…!

Sölf

Started a new run. On my second dungeon, I got something new which of course killed my entire party. xD

Aside from hat setback, it went fairly smooth. Finished all dungeons until now (after that one 2 others, so 3 in total now). I am only lacking money again. Like I did back then... xD

New patch came out so I decided to start a new run.

I feel like when the RNG is not in your favor, its really not in your favor. The misses and enemies getting lots of crits lasting 2 - 3 missions.

Picked this up during the Steam Sale today and I have to say this game is super awesome! But RIP Bertran my Plague Doctor who died when my whole party wiped to the necromancer. Now if only I could find another Plague Doctor named Bertran so I can pretend you never died.

okiemok

Picked this up during the Steam Sale today and I have to say this game is super awesome! But RIP Bertran my Plague Doctor who died when my whole party wiped to the necromancer. Now if only I could find another Plague Doctor named Bertran so I can pretend you never died.

He won't be the last.

Edit - oh and you can rename them. So get another Plague Doctor and you will be good to go.

Uthred

Got a good fifteen hours out of it so far but I think I'm going to shelve it for a while. The way that positive quirks overwrite themselves is immensely irritating. The interplay between your characters positive and negative quirks are what give each unit its own "personality", but once you get to about level three you just start churning through positive quirks and your unit just feels like a random mish mash of stuff. They need to let you lock positive traits as it ends up that getting positive traits is more punitive than negative ones.

Probably. Luck plays a part, sometimes you're just very unlucky, but that can happen in FTL too. The fun is to plan reasnobaly to limit the misfortune and get everyone out alive and maybe mentally healthy.

Bought! Finished the first quest. Seems like a really fun game, though I can see it being punishing.
Also, what happens when all your heroes die, do you restart the whole game or just the quest?

Chariot

Bought! Finished the first quest. Seems like a really fun game, though I can see it being punishing.
Also, what happens when all your heroes die, do you restart the whole game or just the quest?
You can always hire new heroes in the cart. Manpower comes cheap, although you eould prefer to keep your experienced people alive.

Teknoman

Guess I should wait to pick things back up with final release? Game is still awesome, but I dont want to dive too deep before final.

Played for an hour. Loved it. Then I couldn't progress beyond harlem loading screen because the game crashes. Tried uninstalling and installing again. It didn't work. Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm playing the game on a macbook pro.

Chariot

New patch.

0E9xeb6.png

• Houndmaster Hero!
  • Steam Cloud Save
  • In-Game Glossary: access it by clicking the BOOK icon in town
  • Sanitarium reworked: lock positive quirks, treat diseases
  • Diseases and Quirks now separate
  • Replaced enemy tooltip with full enemy panel!
  • Corpses in combat
  • Medicinal Herbs and Holy Water now consumable
  • Class adjustments and skill changes
  • Lots of general balancing and tuning
  • Audio enhancements
  • …and more!
Full 12 page patch notes here

Tworak

seems you need a corpse clearer now
sick.gif

fresh reports from the front: onyxia deep breaths more oft-- skills hit less often

Haeleos

Not a huge fan of the corpse mechanic. It breaks immersion and isn't much fun. It's basically just extra hit points for the front row, since you can still "miss" corpses too.

mjc

It's a midweek sale on steam. 33% off. Should I just wait for the finished game though? Only 2 1/2 months to go. Hmm.

That's what I'm wondering myself..although the price might not get better until it's on sale later down the road.

Gothos

Imho get it. I doubt there will be bigger discount until the release and the price might even rise up after it's officially released. Waiting is an option if you plan to play it long after it's released when it might go down to 50% discount.

Lanrutcon

They should make it like most rogue-likes where you have a screen full of options to configure before beginning a game, making it as hard or easy as you like.

Klyka

Banned
I got back into this after not having played for a couple months and man the game is still as addicting as ever.

I just love the artstyle and sound so much, it really pulls you in.

Top Bottom