• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early Access: Darkest Dungeon |OT| Death Is The Only Promise

This game lacks a clear goal or incentive. Also, I can see it wearing thin in a week or 2 which is no good for a procedural rogue lite. What I'm saying is I'm waiting for some kind of developer roadmap before I even consider buying yet another random dungeon rogue like, no matter how pretty the art work.

Neoweee

This game lacks a clear goal or incentive. Also, I can see it wearing thin in a week or 2 which is no good for a procedural rogue lite. What I'm saying is I'm waiting for some kind of developer roadmap before I even consider buying yet another random dungeon rogue like, no matter how pretty the art work.

They did have a plan, though. The goal is to eventually complete The Darkest Dungeon itself. The first four zones are for building up your city. There are also random events that change the state of your city.

For this phase of what is open, the goal is to beat the 3 "Final" bosses.

Neoweee

I'm finally going after the Necromancer.

Best builds?

Which tier of Necromancer? 1/3/5?

He summons a skeleton per turn and backs up behind them. Bring multi-hit things (Leper/Crusader?) so you can stay on top of the skeletons while damaging him.

There are a few different approaches. Seems to be the basic concept on all three difficulties.

He summons a skeleton per turn and backs up behind them. Bring multi-hit things (Leper/Crusader?) so you can stay on top of the skeletons while damaging him.

There are a few different approaches. Seems to be the basic concept on all three difficulties.

Neoweee

He's really not so bad, then. I think any build can keep up with the skeletons on Tier 1. He has an attack that does Stress damage to everyone, so try to enter the fight with low stress. Camping + Crits should be enough to keep you low.

Definitely the B.S.-free boss of the three so far.

He's really not so bad, then. I think any build can keep up with the skeletons on Tier 1. He has an attack that does Stress damage to everyone, so try to enter the fight with low stress. Camping + Crits should be enough to keep you low.

Definitely the B.S.-free boss of the three so far.

Equipment?

E the Shaggy

I was just about to buy this on Steam but had no idea it was coming to PS4 until I read the OP. Hmmmm no release date given on it though, think I should wait?

Disgraced

You know, the characters really really need palette swaps. Randomized or what-have-you. I definitely feel like it'd give 'em some more identity, and the player more empathy. I wonder how much that'd take to implement.

misho8723

Banned
So far the game is really great... some balance issues here and there, but overall the game is already in a great state.. but does the game have any story? I know you can collect some things which belong to your family, but what is their function or purpose?

You know, the characters really really need palette swaps. Randomized or what-have-you. I definitely feel like it'd give 'em some more identity, and the player more empathy. I wonder how much that'd take to implement.

That stretch goal was met. They are coming.

Begaria

So far the game is really great... some balance issues here and there, but overall the game is already in a great state.. but does the game have any story? I know you can collect some things which belong to your family, but what is their function or purpose?

The narrative in Darkest Dungeon is more world building than overarching. You're given a story the moment the game opens up: an old, wealthy relative found ruins under his estate, gathered some mercenaries, and unleashed unspeakable horrors in to the surrounding areas. He kills himself after asking you to come back and right his wrongs. As you enter a boss run, you also get some more back story on your older relative. Of course, we don't know how it all ends considering the game isn't finished yet.

I do not understand how this game decides who goes first on my team. I thought speed determined your order?

My crusader with a speed of 3 just went before my bounty hunter with a speed of 5.

Neoweee

I do not understand how this game decides who goes first on my team. I thought speed determined your order?

My crusader with a speed of 3 just went before my bounty hunter with a speed of 5.

It is speed plus a dice roll each turn, basically, so there's a slight shuffle each turn.

huxley00

Just picked this up yesterday, I wasn't completely sold until I watched a 10 minute "Let's Play" on it, looked really interesting. I spent most of my day off playing it and enjoyed it quite a bit. My first game ended up being an absolute massacre. I thought I was making good progress until I lost a critical mission, all my best characters and I was bankrupt. I'm doing much better in my second game. I have no deaths, beat the first few bosses and have several level 3 characters and some decent money in the bank. My recommendations

1. Crowd Control - This is probably the most important aspect of combat. You must mitigate the ability of the enemy to do damage or provoke stress to your party members. Personally, I use stun abilities to manage this. There are two classes that have the ability to stun the first two enemies (Hellion) and the last two enemies (Plague Doctor), I have a Vestal for healing and a champion for damage dealing. Most rounds, I'm able to stun either the front two, back two, or both.

2. Money Management - Save your money, ensure you have a decent stockpile before making any purchases. My recommendation would be to never go below 10-15k gold at any time. If you wipe a party or two, you will desperately need that money for torches, food, sanity restoration etc. My first game, I was put in a place where I was bankrupt and trying to do dungeons with no food or torches, not good.

3. Healing - Use the stun abilities to block the enemies attack for a turn while you use your vestal to heal characters. Always try to keep your characters as close to 100% health as possible as there is no out of combat healing except food related (1hp per food) and camping (only available in longer missions). Always heal, every turn.

4. Food - Always bring enough and then more than enough. If you are camping in a mission, ensure you have enough food for 25% health regen and -10 stress levels, absolutely critical.

Those are really the three golden rules of the game, as far as I can tell. As far as building upgrades, I ensured I opened the ability to upgrade character skills as they level. An extra 5% per skill to hit may not seem like much, but it seems to make a large difference.

I guess the only other thing I would say is simply to not waste resources on bad characters. Don't try to restore the sanity of some level 0/1 character with bad traits, best to just trash them and go with someone new. Once someone hits level 2, I definitely try to start investing in keeping them around if possible.

As for things I would like to see from the game going forward

1. Double or triple the dungeon voiceovers. There is a pretty good variety now, but if you play a marathon session over a day, you hear the same ones over and over quite a bit. I'd like to have more variety. Overall though, the voice work is excellent, well acted and really brings you into the game.

2. A bit more story would be great. I want to know the history of the bosses I am fighting, what happened with them, where they came from etc. They do have a cool extra voiceover before you enter a boss fight dungeon, I just want a bit more depth.

3. Let us name our characters (unless this is an option I missed?). It is important that they have unique names that we can give them to help with the roleplaying aspect.

That's really it for now, I think the game is great for an early access release. Unlike a lot of games, this actually feels like a finished product, not some half-working piece of software that is years from release. If you like D&D, I think you might like this game. It has the feel of a tough pen and paper campaign. The crowd control elements really remind me of playing D&D.

Oh, and never read books.

Chariot

3. Let us name our characters (unless this is an option I missed?). It is important that they have unique names that we can give them to help with the roleplaying aspect.
You can already do that. Just click on the green icon next to their name in their character sheet.

Begaria

I've been trying to hold myself back from just playing Darkest Dungeon since EA began. Despite that, I've got something like 27 or 28 hours in the game. I've got a team of Resolve Level 5, with Rank 5 skills, and Rank 5 armor/weapons (also have a second team of Resolve 4 that's equally as equipped) and I took out the Rank 5 Necromancer Lord last night. I still have the Rank 5 Hag and Swine God to finish off. I've got half of my village completely built up.

Rank 5 (Champion) dungeons are scary. Those dodge rates on enemies really hurts. I think they should be toned down slightly. It felt good to upgrade my skills and get some +accuracy accessories on my guys which made Rank 3 dungeons manageable and fun. It also felt like my party was getting more powerful since by the time I hit Rank 3 dungeons I was sitting with Rank 3 weapons/armor/skills which scaled nicely as I was getting closer to Rank 5. The massive jump in dodge on Rank 5 monsters pretty much reduces your chance to hit back to "Beginning the game at Rank 1" levels and doesn't make it as fun. There's also no real way to counter those dodge rates except for the few odd skills that reduce dodge (Vestal has one), but those actually have to hit to take any affect. The increased HP on Rank 5 monsters is fine, even the damage output. I just feel they dodge a bit too much to make Champion runs fun.

Evilmaus

I'm really on the fence about buying this game's early access version.

It looks like so interesting and everyone says that while it's still unfinished, it's very well polished and there's plenty of game there.

My problem is that I don't want to start playing now as I'm scared I'll get tired of it before the full release.

huxley00

I was extremely bummed to find that rank 3 dungeons have the same mobs as rank 1 dungeons. I was not expecting that at all, bummer.

Begaria

I was extremely bummed to find that rank 3 dungeons have the same mobs as rank 1 dungeons. I was not expecting that at all, bummer.

They actually do add an extra monster in Rank 3 per dungeon, generally a "large" monster that does a lot of damage and has a ton of health. However, I haven't noticed any new monsters from Rank 3 to Rank 5 dungeons.

44 hours. I have 44 hours in this game and I still haven't beaten all the level 5 dungeons. I'm too much of a min-maxer. And if one of my favorite dudes gets a bad perk, I'll send him to get it taken care of right away and set out on a mission with fresh level 1 recruits to pass the time. Then I dismiss them.

My dream-team is fully upgraded though. Skills, armor, and weapons. I've selected all the best camping skills. They are decked out with legendary trinkets. It's just a matter of time.

I haven't lost a dude ever since I first fought the Swine King. I didn't realize you weren't supposed to hit his friend. He went berserk and destroyed me. I barely eked out a victory.

I'm hoping they do add more to make the game difficult in the later stages. As of now it's a bit too easy to grind up resources with fresh recruits. Just give them your best trinkets and they'll slaughter the low-level dungeons.

So there are a few ways I could go:

Group A:
McKellan the Crusader
Cronkite the Leper
Jim-Boy the Highwayman
Molly the Vestal

Group B:
Hanratty the Hellion
Cronkite the Leper
Molly the Vestal
No-Doz the Jester

Started playing this today and it's great.

Should I approach it like a ongoing progression where I just keep hiring heroes when I die, or should I be restarting the whole game after party wipes?

Any tips for a newb?

I like the style and battle system so much. Any word on whether they're gonna allow mods?

I'd love to play custom campaigns with self-contained little stories and character progression with some of the difficulty toned-down. I appreciate the challenge but the whole set up is so great I'd love to play a less harsh version of it.

Started playing this today and it's great.

Should I approach it like a ongoing progression where I just keep hiring heroes when I die, or should I be restarting the whole game after party wipes?

Any tips for a newb?

The former is how to play. The latter is gonna give you rage headaches.

MjFrancis

They actually do add an extra monster in Rank 3 per dungeon, generally a "large" monster that does a lot of damage and has a ton of health. However, I haven't noticed any new monsters from Rank 3 to Rank 5 dungeons.
That's unfortunate, I'd hoped there would be more monsters later on.

While Darkest Dungeon may be early access and I haven't even finished what content there is already, I can already feel the need for more. More enemies, more heroes, more dungeons, more items, more loot, a bigger hamlet, more story, more voiceovers, more bosses, etc, etc. And that's a good thing. A lot of that is already promised for the 1.0 release, but I hope there is a way for them to keep expanding on the world they have built.

MjFrancis

I tackled the Necromancer with this group:

Crusader
Crusader
Highwayman
Vestal

All level 2 with second level weapons and armor, though only select level 2 skills. The Necromancer went down without much trouble.

I used mostly the same party for the Hag, though I swapped out the Vestal for another Highwayman and made sure my Crusaders had their Holy Lance ability to level 2.

I tackled the Necromancer with this group:

Crusader
Crusader
Highwayman
Vestal

All level 2 with second level weapons and armor, though only select level 2 skills. The Necromancer went down without much trouble.

I used mostly the same party for the Hag, though I swapped out the Vestal for another Highwayman and made sure my Crusaders had their Holy Lance ability to level 2.

What level 2 skills, and what was your strategy?

MjFrancis

Leveled up abilities:

Crusaders had Smite and Holy Lance.
Highwayman had Grapeshot Blast.
Vestal had Diving Grace and Divine Comfort leveled up, but I don't suppose she made much of a difference after the battle. I would have rather had more damage output, which is why I don't use the Vestal so often anymore.

Necromancer strategy was simple. He will create another skeleton with every attack, which I mostly ignored except for the Highwayman who would thin the ranks with Grapeshot Blast - which would also bring the Necromancer to the front again so Crusaders could Smite him. Skeletons will generally attack the front Crusader, who would be healed by the Vestal when I started to get concerned about his health. When the Necromancer is in front I use the highest damage attack I have at hand - which was generally Smite.

There's certainly a lot more ways to go about this, but that's the way that sailed me through. Being Level 2 on a Level 1 boss certainly helped. I could see using a Leper up front to soak damage, but they miss so often on the attack that I find the Crusader more dependable overall.

The Necromancer has to be the easiest boss of the 3.

I use a Crusader and a Leper in the front. Zealous Accusation and Hew if there is a skeleton alive. Then single target attacks on the Necromancer when he's alone. My 3rd slot is a bounty hunter. 4th slot is an occultist who keeps the Necromancer marked for the Bounty Hunter to do huge single target dmg.

I usually come out of those fights taking very little damage at all.

vpance

Started playing this 2 days ago, really liking it. One thing that feels a little annoying are the bad traits though, and the time it takes to sanitize them and destress. I'm like the poster above, trying to maintain perfect characters. I guess that's just part of the early grind.

From what I've read it seems like the later game is too easy. Hopefully they have some good ideas to fix that. Maybe they can make some mission escalation aspects like in Xcom, but I'm not sure how well that fits into what seems to be a grind focused game.

E the Shaggy

Was feeling pretty good about my team, tore through 3 dungeons....but then the Necromancer's apprentice showed up.

Ho-lee shit. He ripped everyone apart. 105 hp, huge damage on attacks and with each one, he spawns a new enemy nonstop. Fight's bananas.

There's some pretty good playthrough's on Youtube right now and they're downright addicting (and at times, infuriating :p) to watch.

Great game and it looks like it has the Final Fantasy Tactics type difficulty that doesn't let up either in terms of challenge.

Top Bottom