• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early Access: Darkest Dungeon |OT| Death Is The Only Promise

-MD-

So I have to be mindful of the speed stat? Does it increase the chance to attack?

+speed gives your character a higher chance of attacking first, having a higher speed than someone else doesn't automatically mean you attack first. Order of attack is decided at the beginning of every round during combat, it's never the same.

And while the game doesn't actually show you the order of attack once it's decided, you can still see which characters are in play during that round by the little bar next to their HP bar.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Despite having backed this with access to the beta I've only started playing this *seriously* this weekend.

Finally got a decent-sized roster of competent dudes (1 level 3, a handful of level 2, another 5-6 level 1 and a poor occultist I didn't get to use yet) by only doing short level 1 missions and I'm having a blast with it. I've got 2-3 teams set-up going on that are starting to have synergies between themselves/are sorta specialized for certain dungeons... Feels just right, when one of them isn't sick with the runs.

Did the devs tell if our saves pre-final release will be usable once the game will be out of early access?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
How am I meant to beat these bosses? They are horrifically unfair, especially this cannon

How am I meant to beat these bosses? They are horrifically unfair, especially this cannon

The cannon is easy, just make sure
you take out the bandit holding the primer for the cannon and you never have to worry about it firing.

Make sure you have melee units that can hit back row enemies or multiple enemies at the same time, the occultists abyss artillery, the grave robbers flashing daggers work well at cleaning up the rear hitting two enemies at once.

For melee you can use the leper's hew or crusaders zealous accusation to clean up the front. The only time you should really have an issue is if the cannon summons a fat bandit.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Are you figuring out patterns or just throwing units at them?

The cannon is easy, just make sure
you take out the bandit holding the primer for the cannon and you never have to worry about it firing.

Make sure you have melee units that can hit back row enemies or multiple enemies at the same time, the occultists abyss artillery, the grave robbers flashing daggers work well at cleaning up the rear hitting two enemies at once.

For melee you can use the leper's hew or crusaders zealous accusation to clean up the front. The only time you should really have an issue is if the cannon summons a fat bandit.

Yeah I finally beat it. I think I just needed to get out of the mindset of healing everyone all the time, and bringing in better back row damage.

So, how has DD been progressing? Is it likely to see an end to Early Access any time soon?

If it's still heading further down the masocore rabbithole then I'll be kinda bummed.

-MD-

$10, great price.

So, how has DD been progressing? Is it likely to see an end to Early Access any time soon?

If it's still heading further down the masocore rabbithole then I'll be kinda bummed.

LaunchAnnounce-1024x576.jpg

And it looks like they just released a nice sized update for the holidays.

Serra

Just bought this and I am looking forward to the final release. I guess current savegames won't work with the final build?

Picked it up for $10 and managed to spend some time with it..Game is really fun but punishing. I've already lost my starting characters. Game started to make a little bit more sense once I realized the adventurers were expendable and that it's better to kill one unit (especially the back row guys) rather than damage a bunch. Still doing only beginner missions though so hopefully the ramp up in difficulty doesn't frustrate the hell out of me.

Nemmy

I picked it recently too (yay Steam Winter Sale), and I'm having a blast so far. Playing on a sorta-easy setting though (I disabled corpses and set enemy criticals to be weaker - after all I've read about how horrifically unfair the game is, I figured I'll start out easy to avoid early frustration). But I've hit the sweet spot where a masochistic bounty hunter refusing to be healed or an abusive hellion bullying and stressing everyone around her are fun rather than annoying.

It must have been said many times by now but the art in Darkest Dungeon is straight up godly. The atmosphere too. I'm a sucker for a well-done Lovecraftian theme, so I fell in love since the first trailer.

Wow...19 hours later...love this game. I was initially scared that the game might be too difficult for me or maybe I haven't hit the difficult stuff yet (only tackling the apprentice stuff thus far). Does the difficulty spike or is it a slow ramp up?

Went up against the hag and got wrecked. Guessing the ideal strat is to ignore the cauldron and bring as many characters that can hit positions 3 and 4 as possible. Most of the fight I couldn't hit anything at all. Lost two characters but I managed to run away. One of them was in the pot when I bolted lol

Dreavus

Went up against the hag and got wrecked. Guessing the ideal strat is to ignore the cauldron and bring as many characters that can hit positions 3 and 4 as possible. Most of the fight I couldn't hit anything at all. Lost two characters but I managed to run away. One of them was in the pot when I bolted lol

That fight is absolutely brutal, melee characters can hardly do anything.
I think ignoring the pot and going after the boss is the best way to do it. As soon as you get someone out she'll throw another character in first chance she gets, which is another 14HP to go through.

I ended that with one dead and the rest on death's door. I considered myself lucky.

Nemmy

Oh man just got wiped for the first time. Pro-tip: Don't invoke the glowing red orb if you're not ready for a huge boss battle :(

QFT.
I had a damn near perfect run, killed the Siren, cleared the dungeon, had all characters at full HP and close to zero stress, and an inventory full of treasure. So what do I do?
"Let's go see if I can't kill this optional boss, this party is cool they'll probably do that."
I had 4 maxed out Master level chars there. One of them even managed to get back to the Hamlet after the adventure, half-dead and totally insane. The rest were not so lucky, my favourite Hellion included (she had a heart attack just after I finally bailed out of combat).
That was brutal as shit :(

Tarazet

Game is rough as hell but super addictive, even for someone who doesn't necessarily want a huge challenge. Unless you've upgraded gear, it's always a possibility that you can lose any character within one turn from full health. The early stages of the game are all about just blowing through expendable heroes like candy, until you get your buildings upgraded and get a nice core of folks with good traits. Stuff like +5 Dodge, extra damage against humans, less stress damage in the Warren, etc. Then you inevitably lose a couple of them and have to go through the weeding process again.

I had a wonderful team of Crusader, Highwayman, Grave Robber, Houndmaster going. Everything just flowed like butter. I was even putting the Crusader in position 3 just to stress heal because the others were able to dance around and kill everything easily. Then the Highwayman hit rank 3 and wouldn't go into the starter dungeons anymore. Replaced him with a Leper but it's not quite the same, he doesn't have the same mobility. They're still doing good though, I'm not needing to rest them between dungeons and can just chain runs together.

RMI

Banned
I've been playing this game quite a bit, and have some thoughts on it:

1) this game is very interesting, but I'm not sure that it is fun. There are a lot of moving parts and systems to interact with, but it often feels like you're just mashing two spreadsheets together, except that one of the spreadsheets hates you.

2) Maybe I need to play it more, but is there any penalty to failing besides losing time and effort spent on cultivating your adventurers? The game seems to be lacking in momentum and urgency.

3) The game forces you to play in unusual ways sometimes. Is it normal to take suboptimal (combat-wise) turns when you've eliminated the major threats on the other team so that you can heal or clear status effects, things that are unnecessarily troublesome to do out of combat? For example, it's my crusader's turn against a single enemy, why have him kill an enemy that he could easily stun? You would think that you should always try and eliminate the enemy as soon as possible (makes sense, right?) but because of the way the game works you instead are incentivized to play in a strange way so that you can heal during combat.

I'm just perplexed by this game. It's really right up my alley in a lot of regards but in an abstract sense (i.e. when i'm not playing it) I think I hate it.

Dreavus

I've been playing this game quite a bit, and have some thoughts on it:

1) this game is very interesting, but I'm not sure that it is fun. There are a lot of moving parts and systems to interact with, but it often feels like you're just mashing two spreadsheets together, except that one of the spreadsheets hates you.

2) Maybe I need to play it more, but is there any penalty to failing besides losing time and effort spent on cultivating your adventurers? The game seems to be lacking in momentum and urgency.

3) The game forces you to play in unusual ways sometimes. Is it normal to take suboptimal (combat-wise) turns when you've eliminated the major threats on the other team so that you can heal or clear status effects, things that are unnecessarily troublesome to do out of combat? For example, it's my crusader's turn against a single enemy, why have him kill an enemy that he could easily stun? You would think that you should always try and eliminate the enemy as soon as possible (makes sense, right?) but because of the way the game works you instead are incentivized to play in a strange way so that you can heal during combat.

I'm just perplexed by this game. It's really right up my alley in a lot of regards but in an abstract sense (i.e. when i'm not playing it) I think I hate it.

There is no overarching "impending doom", not that I can tell at least. I suppose the problem with that concept is you could end up getting people stuck Pikmin 1 style, depending on the nature of the threat.

Comparing it to other roguelikes, I think they've built in more progression than other similar games. Those games don't generally punish you beyond the fail state (Spelunky, Rogue Legacy, FTL, etc) they just have you start again, with any "unlocks" you got during the run being safe from harm. Darkest Dungeon is a little different in that you can permanently lose a portion of your party, but at the same time you can invest in your heroes/town as well, so it kind of goes both ways. I suppose nothing is stopping the player from taking a wagon full of fresh recruits, dragging them through a dungeon, then repeating, but I'm not a fan of them taking resources away from you beyond what you took in.

For dragging out battles it is definitely a strange thing. I've found myself doing that a bit as well. Generally you only get a few turns out of it before it's not worth letting the enemy live, but I agree it is kind of a weird problem.

RMI

Banned
I'm going to put more time into it, but I think it would be nice if there were a complete fail state (an optional one, even) that just pushed you to retire your game or something and gave you a score based on how well or how much you had done.

The game has some elements in common with iron man games of x-com, but x-com was always turning up the heat while this seems content to just let you go at your own pace.

Tarazet

I'm going to put more time into it, but I think it would be nice if there were a complete fail state (an optional one, even) that just pushed you to retire your game or something and gave you a score based on how well or how much you had done.

The game has some elements in common with iron man games of x-com, but x-com was always turning up the heat while this seems content to just let you go at your own pace.

I think it's fine that you are discouraged from completely failing. If you totally wipe your party before you exit the dungeon, you get nothing for it. You get awesome rewards from sending the FOW's through torchless suicide runs, but you have to get at least one of them back, even if you immediately send them away to be a crazy homeless bum on the street. It makes things quite open-ended, and you can really do things your own way. Do you want to spend nothing and just abuse your adventurers for maximum profit? Abuse some of them in order to perfect a core group of 4 or 6? Or treat them all humanely and try to always get the extra rewards for completing the dungeons? All of these approaches are viable. (One thing's for sure, the Abbey and Tavern are there purely to get you through the hard content, and shouldn't be overused.)

Plus the gameplay is just so addictive. I lose track of time more than anything I've played in a long while.

RMI

Banned
Is there any reason to play this before launch? I got it on sale for cheap but have been holding off.

I'm not sure what is getting added in the final version besides the new area and a new class, so I say go nuts and at least get a handle on the systems in the game first. You'll probably want to restart after a few mishaps anyway.

mjc

This game is horseshit. I re-rolled by deleting saves and restarting about four times now, and each time I've been smoked in the first or second dungeon. Utterly frustrating for the sake of it.

This game is horseshit. I re-rolled by deleting saves and restarting about four times now, and each time I've been smoked in the first or second dungeon. Utterly frustrating for the sake of it.

They spent hundreds of thousands of dollars and years of their lives to annoy you personally.

*continues playing awesome game*

Anyone heard word on a ETA to PS4? I've googled around and most still seem to say late 2015 (official) or early 2016 (PSN blog).

RMI

Banned
This game has a lot of issues. The progression is entirely in service of making numbers go up without any substantial qualitative gameplay changes.

Top Bottom