• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early GOTY nominees prediction

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I have a hard time understanding the allure of The Game Awards. The show is often quite comical and sometimes downright cringe. Is it the announcements? The popularity? Why do some consider it the holy grail of annual game awards when there are tons of goty winners from many places?
It's boring, too long, features Geoff Keighley. Surely enough for any sane person to question if it's worth their time. But, the awards will front the money to get a septuagenarian film star to present an award to the producers of a game he's never heard of, isn't quite sure how to pronounce the title of, and doesn't know what it might involve doing. So, there's that, I guess.

Last edited:

Fess

Shadow of the Erdtree
No Rest for the Wicked
Hellblade 2

Sony’s games are never on my GOTY lists, since everything is 1+ years late on PC. Otherwise I could see me list Rebirth and Stellar Blade. But oh well, Games Of The Next Year.

It's boring, too long, features Geoff Keighley. Surely enough for any sane person to question if it's worth their time. But, the awards will front the money to get a septuagenarian film star to present an award to the producers of a game he's never heard of, isn't quite sure how to pronounce the title of, and doesn't know what it might involve doing. So, there's that, I guess.
They do have a rather large sample of votes across games media. So if you want to know ’consensus’ GOTY among journalists, you’ll find it there.

Perrott

• Animal Well (Shared Memory/Big Mode)
  • Astro Bot (Team Asobi/Sony Interactive Entertainment)
  • Dragon's Dogma II (Capcom/Capcom)
  • Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Square Enix/Square Enix)
  • Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth (RGG Studio/Sega)
  • Metaphor: ReFantazio (Atlus/Sega)
GOTY will go to either Rebirth or, depending on how much it manages to recapture the Nintendo magic, Astro Bot.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
They do have a rather large sample of votes across games media. So if you want to know ’consensus’ GOTY among journalists, you’ll find it there.
Not wishing to call you out but it's not quite how that sounds. The biggest publishers in the world nominate their favorite outlets who then get to nominate and vote.

So it's more like a consensus of the journalists that the biggest publishers approve of.

TGA also encourage the public to vote as well. They weight the scoring 90% the journalists as selected by the publishers and 10% the public vote.

I actually think it'd be better if they had some sort of identity in how they make their selection, some websites/magazines have enough of an identity that you know what sort of criteria they will rate things by. In this instance, you could probably say that TGA GOTY is decided by the the journalists that the biggest advertisers think will be most likely to be favourable to their product.

Robb

Gold Member
Just based on ratings I’d assume FF7 Rebirth will be one. Balatro deserves a nomination as well imo.

Outside of that I’m just hoping AstroBot delivers. Would love to see a 3D platformer snag the awards!

Last edited:

Borowski_1

Prince of Persia
Dragon's Dogma 2
FF VII Rebirth
Astro Bot
Zelda
Infinite Wealth

People saying Wukong, Stellar Blade and Rise of the Ronin are out of their minds....

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
Depends on the category.

Are we talking BEST GAME OF THE YEAR FUELED BY MTN DEW
EpJX4w8XIAAXI5C

or
GAME OF THE YEAR SHAPED BY SCHICK HYDRO
DtxeAVFWwAE9rfn.jpg

Last edited:

CashPrizes

Unicorn Overlord and Persona 3 Reload are my top 2 so far this year.
Helldivers 2 should get a nod.
I hope Star Wars Outlaws is great, could go either way.
Space Marine 2 is looking like a lock.

Alan Wake

Hoping for Astro Bot.

Alone in the Dark will probably be in my personal top 5 this year, but it obviously won't win any awards.

FF7 Rebirth for certain will be on that list. Everything else is a wild guess. If Shadow of the Erdtree could run for GOTY, it would be there as well.

I bet only a single Sony game will make the cut, so FF7 Rebirth it is. Then I think Wukong, some horrid narrative driven game (not Hellblade 2 though), and whatever comes this second half of 2024. Not many games I'd call GOTY contenders this year.

A wild guess? Maybe Helldivers 2 get a spot because it was just too big to ignore (deservedly so). Maybe something like Space Marines 2 can find itself in some lists if it is as good as some previews say. Astro Bot could be nominated it is an incredible platformer, but I doubt more than 2 games of the same company will be in the Game Awards GOTY nominees to avoid controversy, even if the games are that awesome.

SpokkX

For now front runner must easily be Helldivers 2

Astro bot, Indy and possibly Space marine 2 or Zelda Echoes are the only other ones that could compete?

Švejk

Banned
If not for Astro Bot, I would put money down on either Dragon's Dogma 2 or maybe even Rebirth. DD2 was so much fun, albeit still far from perfect.

If Astro Bot doesn't win, gaming as we know it will be impaired of any hope.

Killjoy-NL

Only played HD2 and FFVII Rebirth. Either one would be my personal pick as well.

Stellar Blade seems to be enjoyed by fans of that type of game, but I doubt it'll be a serious GOTY contender.

No idea what released on other platforms, so can't comment on the rest.

(Maybe Dragon's Dogma 2, but that ain't it either).

T0minator

• Animal Well (Shared Memory/Big Mode)
  • Astro Bot (Team Asobi/Sony Interactive Entertainment)
  • Dragon's Dogma II (Capcom/Capcom)
  • Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Square Enix/Square Enix)
  • Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth (RGG Studio/Sega)
  • Metaphor: ReFantazio (Atlus/Sega)
GOTY will go to either Rebirth or, depending on how much it manages to recapture the Nintendo magic, Astro Bot.

Astro Bot looks like it'll capture that Nintendo magic but at a "next gen" level.

xVodevil

Meh.. this one's nothing like last year.. I did have a fun week or two with Dragon's Dogma 2 but nothing to remember at this point, basically nothing feels like "GOTY" at all..
Hoping STALKER2 or Indiana Jones game can save this year or even Commandos 4 if they really drop this year.

Top Bottom