• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders From Planet Space |OT| More bugs than Fallout 4

8vSHDit.jpg

EDF stands for "Earth Defense Force", a worldwide military alliance. Its purpose is to keep the world peaceful and its people safe. After the invasion of 2017, humanity began to restore order and prosperity through the use of the Invaders' technology. In these two years, the EDF established two new divisions, Air Raiders and Pale Wings. The Air Raider division coordinate air strikes while the Pale Wings use reverse-engineered Invader technology to attack from above. The EDF did not anticipate a new menace brewing underground. On June 12th, 2019, the world's news grids lit up with reports of emergency. Giant creatures have been spotted in cities around the world, it is only the beginning...

Release Date: November 8, 2015 (NA), February 2016 (EU)
Platform: PS Vita
Developer: Sandlot
Publisher: XSEED/D3Publisher
Filesize: 274 MB
PSN: NA, EU

23506644832_25eda9d050_o.jpg

• Play as either Infantry, Pale Wing, or the new Air Raider class
  • 4 player online co-op
  • 78 unique missions
  • 6 difficulty options per mission
  • New English Dub

23054390763_1bdd8ef0e5_c.jpg

23313777939_bb2152c225_z.jpg

23054674183_35aabe791f_z.jpg

22988221383_478c222f4a_o.jpg

22985788094_6a502d9ca6.jpg
23246019309_b7e15e9415.jpg

23505391542_4f304869d5.jpg
22986947593_27966f27cc.jpg

23319743230_2f5e7076f6_o.jpg

Announcement

Recruitment

Launch Trailer

23735059116_f00cf9b554_o.png

GAF - HypnoDarkrai PSN - HypnoDarkrai
GAF - NormalFish PSN - NormalFish
GAF - BBboy20 PSN - BBboy20
GAF - Seraphis Cain PSN - SeraphisCain

23506916092_be0ee5a1d8_o.png

Metacritic - 74
Hardcore Gamer - 80
Destructoid - 80
Honest Gamer - 4/5
God is a Geek - 70
Pocket Gamer UK - 70
We Got This Covered - 50

Official Site
ZeroAKA for the subtitle.
NormalFish for the control scheme screens.

bede-x

Man, I can't wait for this to get a European release. I assume it's possible to play coop across Vita and Playstation TV?

bede-x

They're the same hardware for the most part, so if you can't it's a major fuck up.

Cool, that's two copies sold to me then :)

Loved the original and the Air Raider was my favorite class in 2025/4.1, so having him selectable in this is almost too much gaming goodness to handle. Just a shame they delayed the European release :(

Thanks for the OT!

I'm importing into the UK and mine is currently (pale)winging its way across the Atlantic. Screw waiting for February.

Never played the supposed best version of EDF, so I'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully I'll see some of you online.

Alright, played the first 10 levels. Fans of EDF won't be disappointed. Controls are little bit janky since it's a vita TPS, but generally it's acceptable. That quirky select-to-enter-vehicle thing threw me off big time. Location variety is already better than 2017/3P, so that's a definite bonus.

Graphics are alright. Up close the filtering is pretty decent, and the anti aliasing technique (which essentially blurs everything more than a handful of yards away) doesn't make as big a difference. As noted, however, the things in the distance have a very visible halo that blurs together everything and makes it difficult to see. Night levels are especially iffy with this since you already have quite limited visibility.

Translation and voice overs are pretty hilarious. There are some awkward lines, but honestly they don't detract since the game is so campy. UI is crisp and informative without being in-your-face or overly busy.

All in all it's what I expected and I'm happy with it. Shares the issues most EDF games share, but retains the fun b-movie aesthetic.

Camjo-Z

tfw I preordered this but let my brothers borrow my Vita + Vita TV and they don't go on break for a few weeks

Tapejara

Alright, played the first 10 levels. Fans of EDF won't be disappointed. Controls are little bit janky since it's a vita TPS, but generally it's acceptable. That quirky select-to-enter-vehicle thing threw me off big time. Location variety is already better than 2017/3P, so that's a definite bonus.

Graphics are alright. Up close the filtering is pretty decent, and the anti aliasing technique (which essentially blurs everything more than a handful of yards away) doesn't make as big a difference. As noted, however, the things in the distance have a very visible halo that blurs together everything and makes it difficult to see. Night levels are especially iffy with this since you already have quite limited visibility.

Translation and voice overs are pretty hilarious. There are some awkward lines, but honestly they don't detract since the game is so campy. UI is crisp and informative without being in-your-face or overly busy.

All in all it's what I expected and I'm happy with it. Shares the issues most EDF games share, but retains the fun b-movie aesthetic.

I'm really liking XSEED's translation. Has a bit more life to it than EDF 2017.

Ah man this is February in Europe as well? Holy hell can it not?! Too much is coming out in Feb.

This was Global Defence Force in Europe wasn't it? Definitely loved this when I was young. I'll pay attention to impressions because I love me some EDF, but I have more fun on the couch with friends. I'm more inclined to get EDF4.1 because 2025 was probably my favourite EDF game.

Netcode seems decent. a bit of rubber banding but I accidentally shot Flunkie in the head at distance and it looked very natural. :)

Clive

I have to say Xseed nailed the cover art on this game. Love the old-school poster feel of the front (please put it on your web store as posters, Xseed) and the vintage newspaper on the back. It's also reversible which is an awesome bonus.

Yasumi

Banned
Grabbed it, and should get EDF 4.1 in the mail tomorrow. After these and Yakuza 5, no more game purchases this year
except Trails of Cold Steel

Got 4.1 coming in on Thursday but I really want to play this too. I've spent so much on games already this year... I wish they both didn't drop on the same date and I guess I'll decide in the next day or two.

Tapejara

Lol, using the flamethrower on mission 17 just tanks the framerate. Wasn't expecting dramatic drops so early on.

Lol, using the flamethrower on mission 17 just tanks the framerate. Wasn't expecting dramatic drops so early on.

I had some big drops using a turtle missile underground lol

Oh also: protip, rolling sideways is WAYYYY faster than walking normally.

LMN

Sorry for double post, but does anybody have a problem with the free DLC? I purchased it, but it won't download to my Vita, try to download directly via PSN store doesn't work either.

Sorry for double post, but does anybody have a problem with the free DLC? I purchased it, but it won't download to my Vita, try to download directly via PSN store doesn't work either.
I didn't even know there was DLC, I'll check when I get home

That's always been the EDF way. Traversing the map like a break-dancing crab.

for sure. I just noticed that some folks hadn't picked up on it, so I figured I'd put it down here in hopes it helps someone.

I also didn't know about the DLC. Here's a screen shot of all of them (and the base game cause it's there)
Doesn't seem to allow me to download it in my download list, either. huh....

CLEEK

I'm playing EDF2 on my commute, then EDF4.1 in the evening. It's glorious.

One thing I've found about EFD2 is that it's much harder once you move up from NORMAL. My typical EDF routine is play the opening levels on HARD, HARDEST then eventually INFERNO to get better weapons and build up my arsenal early on. Have been able to play on HARDEST on EDF4.1 without major issue and have gotten some sweet weapons. Will give INFERNO a crack tonight.

EDF2 on HARD is kicking my arse. The only stage I can manage it on without luck on my side is the first Godzilla boss one (stage 7 or 8, I think), but that's a Destiny-style test of RNG whether it drops any weapon items.

Qwark

In case anyone else is confused:

Control Schemes:

Notable: Select to enter vehicles. God knows why.
Uploaded from source :p

It's always been select to enter vehicles hasn't it? I mean X is unused so they could've easily put it there, but select isn't that far-fetched either.

Because the "first game" isn't the first game, 2017 is the third game in the series that just happened to be released on Vita before this one.
I know, just remember the textures also being really poor so I was wondering where the extra size was, lol.

Have the digital version as I imported the Japanese version when it was on sale for 15 dollars or whatever on playasia a while back. Will be nice to be able to see what my weapons do before going into a mission!

I know, just remember the textures also being really poor so I was wondering where the extra size was, lol.

Have the digital version as I imported the Japanese version when it was on sale for 15 dollars or whatever on playasia a while back. Will be nice to be able to see what my weapons do before going into a mission!

having the same experience. it's pretty cool not randomly having grenades or a sniper vs flying enemies or hordes.

Pardon the double post. Now at mission 34. Guess that's about half way through.

Tip for 34: you should really pay attention to the voice over lol...

Top Bottom