• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders From Planet Space |OT| More bugs than Fallout 4

I think the night missions might be the ugliest thing I've seen in a game. You can't see shit and your character has halos all about them because of the weird lighting.

CLEEK

Shame online is dead. I've yet to find a game.

2017 Portable was active for a while. I spent a nice couple of weeks playing through most of the campaign online.

Playing EDF2 and EDF4.1, and the Vita game is so much harder when you bump up to the next difficulty. Hard is properly hard unless you have powerful weapons already. The only early farming level I've found that I can play on Hard without dying is the first walking tank in the city level (stage 10, I think). You get 6 tanks, each one drops three items when dead. You're at the mercy of RNG if you want weapons, but after a year of Destiny, I'm used to it.

The tanks are easy to beat if you have a decent rocket launcher, and doable with the starting assault rifle.

Yeah, I've been really surprised by how few people are playing because I bought EDF 2017 Vita at launch which cost more and never had trouble finding a room to play in.

DLC now shows up in the download list and can be downloaded.

I added a section for PSN names in the OP, if you want me to add your name please post your PSN name.

LMN

Anyone know if a US copy will access the DLC in the UK on a UK psn account?

I would go with "no" as PS vita game are usually region lock on the DLC. The DLC is nothing special or must have though, so you don't really miss much.

angelic

Banned
Gotit, thanks. Still no regrets ordering it, if its just bonus weapons they were terrible in 2025 so I can live without.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Picked the game up. Yep, that's EDF2 alright. And I'll gladly put dozens more hours into it just like I did on the PS2 and (to a far lesser degree) PSP.

PSN is SeraphisCain, if anyone wants to attempt to play online at some point (though much of my time will be devoted to finishing up Yakuza 5 in the short term).

Just picked this up. I mostly play 4.1 but feel free to add me. I have heard online is dead bit one of my friends has it too. PSN: Ehjee

Also, can anyone confirm whether or not this game comes with a physical instruction booklet. My 4.1 did but my copy of edf 2 didn't. It was opened when I bought it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just picked this up. I mostly play 4.1 but feel free to add me. I have heard online is dead bit one of my friends has it too. PSN: Ehjee

Also, can anyone confirm whether or not this game comes with a physical instruction booklet. My 4.1 did but my copy of edf 2 didn't. It was opened when I bought it.

No physical Vita game comes with a manual.

Are there? Like what? Genuinely curious because I'd love to see an actual Vita manual.

A lot of early European published Vita games came with proper manuals (some in full colour even!) and a few Japanese games still include nice ones to this day.

C0WNXYd.jpg
pLShzcH.jpg

rz1dANo.jpg

KDR_11k

Yay, my copy finally arrived.

Boo, it looks like Air Raider lost its key feature of summoning vehicles. That was THE reason to play that class and the only thing that gave it variety in play style. The limpet guns are capable all-rounders but they all work the same. It was so great to have vehicles that are actually useful in 2025, not just silly gimmicks that don't last past the early missions. I doubt they added more useful gun turrets to make up for the lack of vehicles?

eastx

Boo, it looks like Air Raider lost its key feature of summoning vehicles. That was THE reason to play that class and the only thing that gave it variety in play style. The limpet guns are capable all-rounders but they all work the same. It was so great to have vehicles that are actually useful in 2025, not just silly gimmicks that don't last past the early missions. I doubt they added more useful gun turrets to make up for the lack of vehicles?

Summoning vehicles just isn't highly compatible with a game design in which vehicles already appear in the levels. At least vehicles appear in more stages than in 2017, so you get more chances to use them. But yes, Air Raider is a bit gimped as a result.

KDR_11k

Summoning vehicles allowed them to scale up to the rest of the player's gear and come in many more variants, shame. I'll miss the giant 4 player mech that can hose down a whole army with homing missiles and pump any large target full of massive cannon shells (but required killing a ton of enemies before it can even be summoned once).

Looks like some of the strikes became cooldown based instead of point based to make up for that, some of those cannons are really spammable (autocannon reloads in 5 secs, keeps shooting for about 5 secs, 150mm cannon reloads in 3.5 secs for extremely powerful sniper action).

Also looks like the Raider gets a buff for vehicles? The machineguns on the speeder and heli rip through insects in no time and of course the improved vehicle physics help a lot with making the tank not suck. I could swear those MGs were worthless in the original EDF 2.

Hm, I should try the Soldier again though, the lack of grenade throw charging should make Firecrackers awesome again.

EDIT: Maaaaan, the Air Raider is OP with his ability to handle all situations with one loadout. Limpet, Autocannon, 150mm Cannon lets you mow down ANYTHING. Precise at any range, extremely powerful single target attacks AND area attacks that even hit air units extremely well. Or swap the Autocannon for a Strafing Run for more devastation against swarms (but needs to hit a few things to reload). Yes, doesn't work underground but Limpet Splendors are probably the best weapon for tight tunnels. Hits a bunch of targets, little risk of self-damage.

KDR_11k

Wow, I just played as Ranger for the first time in the game, they're back at the horrible closest target homing system? After they got it so right with 2025...

Top Bottom