• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable |OT| The Only Good Bug is a Dead Bug

anddo0

My woes with the vehicles were fixed the moment I started using the Limit Breaker tool to upgrade them. They suddenly turn almost TOO easy to control then. I crash the helicopter all the time cause I'm used to it moving slowly.
KuGsj.gif

Wow I've never used these. Good to know. Thanks!

Ken

Is it possible to get through and see all the content with two player adhoc? Or would I need 4 for some harder stuff.

SmithnCo

Is it possible to get through and see all the content with two player adhoc? Or would I need 4 for some harder stuff.

You can easily solo the first couple difficulties, and with smart weapon usage you should be able to beat harder difficulties with two people. It's just a question of what difficulty you want to do.

Ken

You can see everything solo, let alone adding more people to the mix.

Do you ever get to change stuff like your character's costumes?

You can easily solo the first couple difficulties, and with smart weapon usage you should be able to beat harder difficulties with two people. It's just a question of what difficulty you want to do.

Do you get better loot on higher difficulties?

B.K.

I'm at the point now where I can survive Descent 4 every time, unless a spider gets behind me and kills me before I can get it. I'm starting to get some pretty good weapons now. I'm starting to get a lot of level 60+ weapons.

klee123

Does anyone have the entire list of weapons? I'm actually weapon farming as Palewing, but I've kinda hit a stumbling block and haven't been getting anything new even after farming some inferno missions repeatedly.

Noi

Does anyone have the entire list of weapons? I'm actually weapon farming as Palewing, but I've kinda hit a stumbling block and haven't been getting anything new even after farming some inferno missions repeatedly.

It'll likely be up as soon as someone gets them all. Last time I checked PSNProfiles, the person closest to getting the Platinum was only missing the 100% Weapons trophy.

SmithnCo

It'll likely be up as soon as someone gets them all. Last time I checked PSNProfiles, the person closest to getting the Platinum was only missing the 100% Weapons trophy.

Wow, it is taking (or took) that long to get the plat? Are the drops just rare?

Noi

Wow, it is taking (or took) that long to get the plat? Are the drops just rare?

It's a combination of rarity, not knowing what stages drop which weapons, the sheer amount of them, and getting the weapons that require you to beat every stage in X difficulty with Y character, which both Storm 1 and Pale Wing have 5 of.

klee123

It's a combination of rarity, not knowing what stages drop which weapons, the sheer amount of them, and getting the weapons that require you to beat every stage in X difficulty with Y character, which both Storm 1 and Pale Wing have 5 of.

Do you know what weapons are rewarded for the completion of every stage of each difficulty level?

I saw someone using an even more powerful version of the Master Rapier and I've been trying to get that for days.

test_account

XP-39C²
I finished all inferno levels with Storm today and got the Genoside Gun :) I also cleared all the other difficulty levels (100% done), so it isnt very useful anymore (it cant be used online either). I'm about 70% done with Palewing. But the Genoside Gun is crazy! One million hitpoint damage per rocket and only 3.3 second reload time. It is a pity that it has no effect on UFOs and bosses though :( I wonder why they made it like this.

Is there any point in getting the stars on the levels by the way (beating all difficulty level in singleplayer)? Besides personal satisfaction of course.

Tobor

After all my bitching about the price, I caved. I turned some Best Buy Credit I had built up into PSN credit.

It was too expensive, but having some portable EDF is really awesome. It's a great game to play while also watching TV or whatever. The game runs great.

I will say this, I wish I could turn the analog sensitivity down further, but it seems to bottom out at 0.50. I also moved the weapon change to the square button, which feels much better.

test_account

XP-39C²
After all my bitching about the price, I caved. I turned some Best Buy Credit I had built up into PSN credit.

It was too expensive, but having some portable EDF is really awesome. It's a great game to play while also watching TV or whatever. The game runs great.

I will say this, I wish I could turn the analog sensitivity down further, but it seems to bottom out at 0.50. I also moved the weapon change to the square button, which feels much better.
Personally i've been pretty happy with the price VS how much i've played it :) I got around 170 hours of playtime right now, i will probably at least get to around 200 hours in total with all the grinding needed for the weapon. I was thinking the same thing about the sensitivity once i started playing it, that it was too sensitive, but now i'm pretty used it it.

Now i only need 4 more levels with Pale Wing on inferno difficulty to have beaten every difficulty level with Storm1 and Pale Wing =)

Speaking about grinding for weapons, this could take such a long time. I think i'm missing one weapon with Storm1. With Pale Wing i'm missing at least 4-5 weapons.

Ran rp

How active is the online community? I wanted to do a versus match before I went to bed there's no one online.

Noi

PSY・S;49278243 said:
How active is the online community? I wanted to do a versus match before I went to bed there's no one online.

Versus has never been active since launch cause no one really likes it. Co-op is the main point of the online play.

Foxix Von

The game is now $29, what it should have been in the first place.

I guess this must have been a sale? This and a few of the persona games dropped out of nowhere a while ago. I finally got around to getting some extra points and the price jumped back up =/

SmokyDave

Worth it for $15?

I fucking love it personally, but it depends what you're looking for. I doubt the online community is particularly active.

Seeing this thread bumped made me realise I haven't played it in ages. I reckon I'll have a crack this evening.

Finally, a "digital only" price I can live with for a double-dip (my son and I played the 360 version for hundreds of hours together... good times). Bought and installed.

nampad

How do you finish mission 56? I tried it several times online and my group always ran into a glitch.
Later a player with 20000 health points joined and said we have to let one of those giant bugs alive til the end and kill it last.
We did exactly that and still the mission didn't clear.
Do you have to keep both alive? It was hard enough kiting one of them.

How do you finish mission 56? I tried it several times online and my group always ran into a glitch.
I don't think I ever played it online, but in single-player it always completed just fine for me. Just open all the cocoons and kill all the bugs.

Number45

Can someone confirm that the lower difficulty trophies aren't automatically unlocked if you beat a level on a higher difficulty? If that's the case I'll blast through on easy for now.

Can someone confirm that the lower difficulty trophies aren't automatically unlocked if you beat a level on a higher difficulty? If that's the case I'll blast through on easy for now.
Yes, you only get the trophy for the difficulty you're playing on when you finish the game.

They're mostly useless. The helicopter has one decent use if you can learn to control it, the speed bike is good for getting from A to B fast and the walking armor mech thing is okay for laying down the law. The tank... ehhhhhhhhh. It's too slow and unwieldy to be of much use, IMO.

How feasible is it to ignore the vehicles in this game? I hate them all.
Perfectly feasible. Heck, with the Pale Wing you have no option to use them. That said, if you get one of the more powerful Limit Boosters, you might find the mechs in particular a lot more fun to use.

Number45

Good to hear, thanks. At the moment I'm struggling to decide if this is janky but fun... or just plain janky. Gunplay is pretty fun, but I'm not a fan of the level 'design' at all - currently working through some of the nest levels.

Foxix Von

Good to hear, thanks. At the moment I'm struggling to decide if this is janky but fun... or just plain janky. Gunplay is pretty fun, but I'm not a fan of the level 'design' at all - currently working through some of the nest levels.

The game really shines if you can find someone to co-op with. Really, really fun.

But yes, very, very janky.

Number45

I wasn't stuck, I was still playing through on easy. It's the navigation in those places with the map being inadequate (it's really frustrating being so close to the markers but finding out I have no way of getting to them), so I spent what seemed like forever wandering bland empty corridors looking for the queen.

Curiocity

A bit LTTP, but I've been playing through this with the boy and thought I'd post some thoughts.
-Ad hoc is def more fun than solo; by myself I usually end up taking the more difficult levels by attrition and tactics - which is rewarding, but there's something great about just bowling in and wasting some bugs with a friend.

-Palewing, holy crap. Both great and really kinda limited. It's hard to go back to ground trooper but I really find myself limping without my go-to rocket launchers.

-Anyone figured out what the hell the Pandora is good for? Does it actually do its damage visibly?? A scan around the internet suggests that it's really useless. :p

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
This is a long shot, but if anyone is able to beat the level "Fortitude" on Inferno, I need tips on how to beat it

Dingotech

Random bump.

What levels did people use for Lysander Z farming?

Some GameFAQs threads I found implied that level 52 with the red ants was the best one but several hours have yielded nothing so far.

All the other information on the web I can find relates to the 360 version.

eastx

Does anybody still play this? I could use a co-op partner or two. Would be helpful if we could schedule sessions via Skype too.

OmegaZero

Welp I just Platinumed this and decided to go back into the OT and see if I can answer some people's late questions.

Random bump.

What levels did people use for Lysander Z farming?

Some GameFAQs threads I found implied that level 52 with the red ants was the best one but several hours have yielded nothing so far.

All the other information on the web I can find relates to the 360 version.

Level 52 is the standard but 56 is also farmable if you have C70 while abusing a solo only glitch.
Just get in the helicoptor and land it on the tank. Enter the tank and adjust its position so it is covered by the helicoptor. If done right, upon exiting you should appear in a black space. Place a C70 there.
Press Select to exit the black space back into the tank and drive it away from the heli. Get in the heli and hold X until you reach the skybox. Now here's the tricky bit: you're going to exit the heli and then move back+left to land on the heli's wing. From here you can detonate the C70 and cause all the ants to get aggro'd to you. Start tossing down C70, entering and exiting the heli as needed to maintain your height. Once there's a few ants left, drop down and collect.

This method got me most of the level 90 weapons I needed.

A bit LTTP, but I've been playing through this with the boy and thought I'd post some thoughts.
-Ad hoc is def more fun than solo; by myself I usually end up taking the more difficult levels by attrition and tactics - which is rewarding, but there's something great about just bowling in and wasting some bugs with a friend.

-Palewing, holy crap. Both great and really kinda limited. It's hard to go back to ground trooper but I really find myself limping without my go-to rocket launchers.

-Anyone figured out what the hell the Pandora is good for? Does it actually do its damage visibly?? A scan around the internet suggests that it's really useless. :p

Pandora is iffy, but Heaven's Gate can be used to quickly destroy the walking carriers and the mothership if you know where to fly.

If anyone else has questions I can try my best to answer them.

Top Bottom